Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2016/17 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Re smoking in bars, we were told (by a Brit barman in Hinterglemm a couple of years ago) that every couple of years and new Health Minister takes up post with clear intentions of introducing a smoking ban, only to be thwarted - by vested interests he thought. He said at the time that a new Minister had recently taken up post and he was optimistic that she would finally introduce a ban - but apparently not yet. So strange to sit in smart hotel lobbies with people puffing away
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Re smoking in bars, we were told (by a Brit barman in Hinterglemm a couple of years ago) that every couple of years and new Health Minister takes up post with clear intentions of introducing a smoking ban, only to be thwarted - by vested interests he thought. He said at the time that a new Minister had recently taken up post and he was optimistic that she would finally introduce a ban - but apparently not yet. So strange to sit in smart hotel lobbies with people puffing away
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Big Dave, it is coming - have a look at http://www.bmgf.gv.at/cms/home/attachments/5/2/6/CH1481/CMS1443703771532/presse-info_rauchverbot-nichtraucherschutz10_4_2015.pdf which sets out the timetable and reasons for a change in Austrian law, where there will be a total smoking ban in all places serving food or drinks from May 2018, and in the interim there was a tax incentive for businesses to implement a no-smoking policy before May 2016. Sabine Oberhauser doesn't look like someone I'd want to disagree with...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forecast from Saalbach today
http://youtube.com/v/VXeXHaf4Zn4&feature=youtu.be
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quinton - did it look like the piste down to Zwolfernord will be open? It wasn't last time we were there, so would like to ski it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went up Schattberg today and down to Hinterglemm on the red Westgipfel run, which was in great condition - and, as quinton says, with hardly anyone around. Then we nipped over to the Zwoelferkogel on the new 12er Express lift, which, though only 235m long and only 27m in vertical ascent, saves a tedious walk across the flat meadow. Then caught the bus down to the newly revamped Schoenleitenbahn and its 'cathedral-like' bottom station - fully appreciated no longer having to stand for the long ascent to the Wildenkarkogel. Piste 66 was as good as it gets with hardly anyone on it, and a pit-stop at the Bergeralm provided a welcome gulasch soup and a spot of sunbathing. The final run to the bottom, down 66 and 52 in the late afternoon sunshine, was again on firm, smooth, almost deserted pistes. It really is glorious at present, and apparently set fair for the foreseeable future. As quinton says, the snow cannons are blasting away.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hammerite, Sorry, but didn't look at it Zwölfer today.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@quinton, no worries.

@Tatman's Tours I was checking out the webcams earlier and even though the temperature was showing as 5C at the time the snow cannons were blasting away, which surprised me. I thought they can only run with sub zero temps.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hammerite, I don't have an answer to that one. Puzzled Going over to Leogang tomorrow with snowheads 'kooky' and 'scarpa' (lunch at the Chicken Man), so will check out conditions in that neck of the woods.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@hammerite, I don't have an answer to that one. Puzzled Going over to Leogang tomorrow with snowheads 'kooky' and 'scarpa' (lunch at the Chicken Man), so will check out conditions in that neck of the woods.

No answer needed, I will remain surprised. Have a good day with Scarpa and Kooky.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Another absolutely awesome day skiing in Saalbach, but first..........The Chicken Man!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

The skiing today was probably the best conditions I have skiied Saalbach in a very long while! Completely deserted pistes, which were groomed to perfection. Temps did seem quite a bit lower then the 4 degrees which was keeping the pistes nice and grippy, I know the next week is only sun forecast but hopefully the temps will stay cold enough to carry on snow production.
Thanks again Mr Tatman for the guided tour about and getting me to the Chicken man in time for a chicken Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great update @Kooky, keep them coming!

I assume it feels colder than the advertised 4 degrees due to the 'kalte luft' that I learnt all about on the Saalbach weather video yesterday!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seconded for the great day's skiing in Salbach / Leogang.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Handy Turnip, surely the kalte luft would make it less than 4C?

@Scarpa @Kooky, glad you had a good day. 2 more work days left and I can start looking forward to being there myself.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 14-12-16 23:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Yeah, good point@hammerite.

I guess I was thinking if the advertised 4 degrees was actually being recorded at a weather station outside Saalbach but the cold air in the valley actually made it feel colder (like a wind chill is colder than the advertised temperature).

I don't really know what I'm talking about about if i'm honest - think I just wanted to use the term 'kalte luft' again! wink wink
latest report
Quite apart from the superb skiing, that chicken set the fingerlickin' standard by which all roast chicken should be judged!
ski holidays
No salad? No chips? No gravy? Little Angel

Just kidding, looks yummy. Deserted, grippy pistes - I would love to to be there!!
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:

That was a bit of a poultry remark.....
snow report
@HoneyBunny, would you also believe me if I told you Mr and Mrs Tatman only shared a chicken Shocked
snow report
Kooky wrote:
@HoneyBunny, would you also believe me if I told you Mr and Mrs Tatman only shared a chicken Shocked

Shocked That's just fowl!...
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:

That was a bit of a poultry remark.....

No need for a roasting over it.. Embarassed

Kooky wrote:

What!? Sacrilege..
ski holidays
Looking forward to the next 5 days here. Cool
ski holidays
Looking forward to the next 5 days here. Cool
latest report
That chicken is so good, also love the ribs in there

Can't wait for my January visit and the Chicken man again, I found last year I spent more time on leogang side than hinterglemm, because of the new chicken restaurant, coupled with the runs that I really enjoy over there. Some may say sad, but I went 4 days out of 7 !!
ski holidays
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
That chicken is so good, also love the ribs in there

Can't wait for my January visit and the Chicken man again, I found last year I spent more time on leogang side than hinterglemm, because of the new chicken restaurant, coupled with the runs that I really enjoy over there. Some may say sad, but I went 4 days out of 7 !!

LOL. Never actually been, but I'll definitely be going this season and ignoring the Asitzbraeu and Alte Schmiede. My fix has been the Hinterhagalm post 4pm, to the extent that I try my best to avoid being "Schattberg side"later in the day. Very Happy
latest report
@honved

I think we are spoilt for choice above leogang, I cant fault asitzbraeu or alte schmiede either, novelty factor in part kept me returning to Hendlfischerei, i loved the simple concept of the chicken man before and now eating that chicken in a high class ambiance nails it for me, you can double the cost in France at least.

As an intermediate skier I love piste 88 blue down towards leogang and even better now the old basic ice bar at the mid station has been re-built to become the Steinadler, the fantastic Teresa is still behind the bar, I'm a non smoker but be warned it is a smoke friendly bar
ski holidays
@honved, Wherever we are skiing in the valley, we invariably manage to end up on the Kohlmais, even if it entails hopping on the Schoenleitenbahn-bound ski bus at Hochalm or Zwoelferkogel. The Bergeralm happy hour, followed by the Hinterhagalm party is about as good as apres-ski gets! Add to that the Chicken Man and great skiing at Leogang (including the new Steinberg run), and it's easy to see why the Kohlmais increasingly pulls us in that direction like a magnet!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Question for the locals: the new not quite a full link from Zell am see - where does that come down to (coming from Zell), if you go beyond the new lift back up to Zell, i.e carry on down the old x4 ski route. can you then access the Schoenleitenbahn lifts from there or do you need bus / walk a bit.

I'm heading to Zell again in Feb and wondering whether getting the extended to Saalbach lift ticket so we can spend a day or two over that side. I believe its only a few Euro's more if you buy that at the start of the week over a regular Zell/Kaprun lift pass

Clearly at end of day we would need to get the skibus from Saalbach back to Zell.
ski holidays
Question for the locals: the new not quite a full link from Zell am see - where does that come down to (coming from Zell), if you go beyond the new lift back up to Zell, i.e carry on down the old x4 ski route. can you then access the Schoenleitenbahn lifts from there or do you need bus / walk a bit.

I'm heading to Zell again in Feb and wondering whether getting the extended to Saalbach lift ticket so we can spend a day or two over that side. I believe its only a few Euro's more if you buy that at the start of the week over a regular Zell/Kaprun lift pass

Clearly at end of day we would need to get the skibus from Saalbach back to Zell.
ski holidays
@Tatman's Tours - How's the skiing going? Am constantly looking at the webcams as we are out there next weekend. Am a little confused though as it looks like the temperature has dropped a fair bit however the canons don't seem to be blasting day and night as they were a week or so ago. Strange thought but is there 'enough' snow on piste or have they drained the reservoirs (as I'm assuming it's cold enough now to blast away)..!?!

Thanks
snow report
@t44tomo, after skiing down the bit of the ski route from the middle station of the new zellamseeXPress lift (for now that is its bottom station), you would need to take the bus from the Förstereck bus stop to get to the Schönleiten gondola. More details here: http://www.schmitten.at/en/service/press/press-articles/extension+of+the+skiing+area+schmitten+–+zell+am+see-kaprun_p2314

Note: the forum software doesn't seem to handle this link with +-+ properly. I fear you will have to copy it and post it in a browser if you want to look at it.
snow conditions
Try this:

http://bit.ly/2hsamJo
latest report
Good, @ousekjarr, how did you manage that?
snow conditions
Sampled the chicken at the Hendl Fischerei today. Blimey it was as good as everyone has said.
snow report
@espri, go to bitly.com and paste in the whole link, and it turns it into a shorter form. This removes the +-+ which is confusing the forum software Cool
snow conditions
Any information what's happening on New Year's Eve. Saalbach.com is remarkably silent on that.
ski holidays
@espri
cheers
ski holidays
@SkiingDad, New Years Eve:

Ski instructors do a bit of a show on the Turm piste, with flaming torches etc. followed by firework display. This happens around 6pm? so that everyone can get back to their hotels for food.

Everyone in Europe watches 'Dinner for One' / Miss Sophie's 90th Birthday on TV - some families try to play along with Freddie Frinton as he drinks his way through the dinner. [Watch it on YouTube to find out what its about]

After many drinks, everyone walks up onto the Turm piste, behind Bauer's, for midnight. The lights go out, the church bells ring, people crack open the bubbly and then all hell breaks out as people let off thousands of rockets, bangers, jumping-jacks and other random pyrotechnics. If you are an elf & safety elf, stay away for the sake of your sanity.

To escape the fog of cordite, everyone then troops off to Bobby's, Underbar, Castello, Ötzi Bar etc where there is usually live music and even more imbibing until the early hours.
ski holidays
@p20pjd, The skiing's been great this week - pretty well perfect, grippy, piste skiing, although getting a little bit hard and scraped this afternoon (however we didn't go out till about 3.30pm). No apparent problems with quantity of snow on the pistes that are open (apparently about 150km out of the total 270km), including towards the valley bottom. We've skied on four days this week and have had no complaints whatsoever - obviously the lack of people helps a lot. Everyone we've met has been enthusing about the piste conditions. The snow cannons seem to be operating most of the time - they certainly were when we went out this afternoon (nursing hangovers from last night's revelry) and, as we skied down the Kohlmais in the dark at about 6pm, we passed through a 'blizzard' every time we passed a cannon, and the twinkling lights of the cannons could be seen all the way up Schattberg and the Bernkogel - a beautiful sight.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy