Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted - A good family ski car

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all.

Following on the tails of spyderjon excellent and generous post

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2888408&highlight=skoda#2888408

I was wondering if there are other such vehicles out there?

ie....... ex company/lease cars that are due to be handed back after the 1st 3 years

I ask, as I contacted spyderjon, and he said mine name was on the list.......which made it sounds ominous Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AIUI - VW Skoda Leasing/finance have a deal to put vehicles coming off contract into a closed trade auction, so if you can get in a trade auction you stand a chance of picking them up. They might deal with you directly but basically they aren't set up for it so don't really need the hassle. You could try ringing up and sweet talking all the likely candidates that have the vehicles you are interested in or just get yourself along to a relevant BCA auction selling things you are interested in - can see one that's flogging 90+ KIAs this week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought a 3yr old ex company car at a BCA auction, was from a very large fleet dealer but i cant remember the name at the moment though, think a few auctions do ex lease/company car sales.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try enterprise rental, they used to sell off their fleet after 6 months, if your happy with that sort of thing and they have the right vehicle.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As well as BCA you could try Mannheim auctions (Google it).
You have to register with them but you can do so as a private buyer. They do a very useful guide to the condition of the car along with photos
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers Guys. I will have a look at the auctions over the next few weeks.

There is a BCA in Manchester i might pop to next time I get a day off during the week
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kiteman69 wrote:
Cheers Guys. I will have a look at the auctions over the next few weeks.

There is a BCA in Manchester i might pop to next time I get a day off during the week

You could also try the one at Brighouse as an alternative.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The main things to remember with an auction buy are:
1. Don't forget the buyers permium - £609 for cars over £10,000 at BCA but drops for cheaper cars.
2. In general you bid, you bought it and have to pay for it there and then so make sure you have the funds available.
3. Also on you bid, you bought it you're expected to take it way there and then too so make sure you have insurance cover or a trailer.
4. You only get to see the car from the outside before you buy so traditionally you get a golden hour after you pay in which you can reject it - but only if it isn't as described by the auctioneer as it went over the block. If they say "Sold as seen", or decide you don't like the colour there's no way back but if they say "No major mechanical faults" and you find the engine is a bag of nails you can.

Don't let that put you off though. Modern cars are generally reliable and the reward for taking a little risk is saving a load of cash.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some auction houses offer a warranty themselves. But not on all cars. Need to check. I mentioned "Mannheim" earlier. I'm not linked to them in any way. I only mention them because I don't think that they are as much in the public eye as BCA. I do think that in some cases Mannheim offer a warranty
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does a family car for ski holidays really need any special characteristics over and above the requirements for the other 362 weeks of the year?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes!
It needs: 4WD, Winter tyres, heated seats, a boot heater, a ski locker, broadband, an espresso machine
for travelling through France - they really should cross the border into, well anywhere really, to find out what it's meant to taste like!
and a massive great sound system... or is that just me? Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+ dents and an ability to immediately attract the Oxalys Fun Stasi the second said soundsystem is turned on.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Does a family car for ski holidays really need any special characteristics over and above the requirements for the other 362 weeks of the year?

Are you from Mars? What's the skiing like there?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin wrote:
Yes!
It needs: 4WD, Winter tyres, heated seats, a boot heater, a ski locker, broadband, an espresso machine
for travelling through France - they really should cross the border into, well anywhere really, to find out what it's meant to taste like!
and a massive great sound system... or is that just me? Embarassed

Just sold mine...to be fair, it actually had a boot bag heater and only had broadband when 'er indoors was, well....not indoors, but in the car. No espresso machine either come to mention it, but there were plenty of cup-holders and some amazing sounds...depending one which i-Pod was connected....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Needs to be able to carry upto 160 pairs of skis and 4 people.
ski holidays
Actually in fairness I've never had more than 160 pairs of skis and 2 people on board (empty back seat, but I was starting to get twitchy about the weight and the 'man').
ski holidays
BMW do a weekly auction I think circulating around the BCA sites, open to th epublic. I bough a 12 month old 118d there about 40% off of list.
snow report
admin wrote:
... 4WD, Winter tyres, heated seats, a boot heater, a ski locker, broadband, [spoiler=an espresso machine] ...and a massive great sound system... or is that just me? Embarassed

My dentist has the vehicle you need. It has so much gear in it that he had to have one resort put an extra large power feed (this is North American current) just for him.
snow report
Quote:

Are you from Mars? What's the skiing like there?

Laughing Yes, got a bit carried away there.

You don't need 4WD if you have winter tyres and drive sensibly. And if you can't live without an espresso machine and massive sound system etc you want them all year round, don't you - not just for Christmas?

Certainly need good carrying capacity - but that's even more important for a summer camping or surfing trip.

We had a rented Nissan X trail at Easter. Nice car, very comfortable, but no more carrying capacity than my Zafira and you can have a lot of ski holidays for the price difference.
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
The main things to remember with an auction buy are:
1. Don't forget the buyers permium - £609 for cars over £10,000 at BCA but drops for cheaper cars.
2. In general you bid, you bought it and have to pay for it there and then so make sure you have the funds available.
3. Also on you bid, you bought it you're expected to take it way there and then too so make sure you have insurance cover or a trailer.
4. You only get to see the car from the outside before you buy so traditionally you get a golden hour after you pay in which you can reject it - but only if it isn't as described by the auctioneer as it went over the block. If they say "Sold as seen", or decide you don't like the colour there's no way back but if they say "No major mechanical faults" and you find the engine is a bag of nails you can.

Don't let that put you off though. Modern cars are generally reliable and the reward for taking a little risk is saving a load of cash.

Presumably you need to tax it as well -but I don't think you can tax it until you have insurance cover and I don't know how it easy it is to get insurance cover sorted out when at 10.00am you don't know the make/model/trim/modifications/reg number.
Ok if in the trade as you can use trade plates.
Can't you pay a parking fee for 24 hrs while you sort it all out?
snow conditions
I have done some digging and BCA will deliver it to my drive for about £80.

Once I know spyderjon's is gone I will take a morning off and go over to see if there are bargains to be had.

If not..............then at least I will have a talking point down the pub
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy