Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire Extras - Heard it All Now...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I booked a car last week for the 3 days' skiing that we are planning in Australia in a couple of weeks' time (at Thredbo/Perisher) as part of a 3 week holiday.

I then signed up to a really good Snowheads-type Oz ski forum for some hints and tips (ski.com.aus). Good job I did - as, as a result, I've learned that my hire car wasn't insured for travel 'above the snowline' Shocked!

Well have you ever??!

Coming soon? To a rip off hire company near you?? rolling eyes

PS: Cancelled original booking and booked with a company that allows snowy travel - at £11 a day for insurance...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
good job you found out. But given the geography of Australia, doesn't seem entirely absurd.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just looked at the AA website, after a question on another thread about International Driving Permits. It seems they are recommended for Australia

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
just looked at the AA website, after a question on another thread about International Driving Permits. It seems they are recommended for Australia

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html

I note the AA site also shows exactly the same recommendation for Canada, and also for the USA it says "IDP recommended as, in the event of an accident, some insurance companies will insist on seeing one." In all the many times I have driven a rental car in both the USA and Canada the rental company has never asked for an IDP.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never been asked for one either, but then (touch wood...) I've never had an accident.

As somebody who was once held hostage for over an hour by a polite but quite hostile Aussie immigration official who was dismissive of my letter from the FCO saying I was a diplomatic representative I might not take the risk. Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I hired a campervan in Oz without an IDP a few years ago. My son lives there but before he got the right to stay he drove on his UK licence for a number of years as advised by the local authorities.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.australia.gov.au/content/driving-with-an-overseas-licence

this seems to suggest you'd be OK though a Frenchman might need an IDP in Northern Territories

(how can you tell I'm bored trying to deal with Cooperative Energy Customer Services - currently I'm on hold, but deathly silence for some minutes now, not even any bad pop or the bloody 4 seasons....)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, better than being subjected to "all our advisors are currently busy, your call has been placed in a queue and will be dealt with as soon as one of our advisors becomes available" on a 30sec loop
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:
... I note the AA site also shows exactly the same recommendation for Canada, and also for the USA it says "IDP recommended as, in the event of an accident, some insurance companies will insist on seeing one." ....
Do AA people not travel at all? That sounds like a poor source of information anyway.

In my experience hire car companies (who are generally *your* insurers when in North America) ask only for valid driving license. They are entirely happy with either a pink EU license or a credit-card UK one, which is what UK people already have.

If, "in the event of an accident", a third party's insurance company "insisted" on seeing some additional bit of paper, I'd politely ask them to show me the law which suggests they have the right to force me to pay more money for more paper which apparently has zero value.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
this seems to suggest you'd be OK though a Frenchman might need an IDP in Northern Territories

Ah that's probably because of the dangerous wildlife in the Northern Territories, they're concerned that a Frenchman might become a croc monsieur.....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had this issue last year when driving through NSW and Victoria. We did not know till we started as we picked the car up from the airport and nothing was mentioned, even though we were carrying skis.

Luckily we could add it on at a later date, and i think we paid about a tenner extra for each day we used it.

Could have been bad if we had an accident as driving from Canberra to Jindabyne we found about half the journey was above the snow line even though the roads were perfectly clear and we were on a highway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
pam w wrote:

Ah that's probably because of the dangerous wildlife in the Northern Territories, they're concerned that a Frenchman might become a croc monsieur.....

Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
pam w wrote:

Very Happy

I am being usurped. Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geepee wrote:
I am being usurped. Happy

Embarassed I just consider myself to be an apprentice of the undisputed punmeister! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Alastair Pink, @geepee, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy