Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel & Mottaret

Poster: A snowHead
hello
I am planning to go to either Meribel or Meribel-Mottaret next season. I am early intermediate and my girlfriend is a beginner. We plan to head for the greens around the alti-port first.

Anyone stayed in Mottaret before as a bigginer? I was wanting to know how easy was it to get from Mottaret to the altiport and how long would it take?

is there good beginner skiing to be had in mottaret itself?

or would I be best just staying in Meribel near the altiport itself.

Answers are well received and appreciated

Scott e
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I am planning to go to either Meribel or Meribel-Mottaret next season. I am early intermediate and my girlfriend is a beginner. We plan to head for the greens around the alti-port first.
Please tell me you're not intending to teach her yourself?
Quote:

I was wanting to know how easy was it to get from Mottaret to the altiport and how long would it take?
Straight down the Truit and across to the Rhodos lift. Time depends on ability. Anything from 10 mins to an hour I suppose. And she'll hate the 100m walk across to the Rhodos.
Quote:

is there good beginner skiing to be had in mottaret itself?
Not as good as the Altiport area.
Quote:

or would I be best just staying in Meribel near the altiport itself
Yes, but it's probably not realistic. Mainly high end hotels in that part of Meribel and it's a long way from town if you want to go out at night.

Are you looking for an apartment, chalet or hotel? Not much of Meribel is ski-in, ski-out but most chalet companies drop guests at the Chaudanne where you can take the Rhodos straight up to the altiport. The free ski bus drops you in the same place. If you stay in Meribel Village or the Morel area the chairlifts link to the Altiport chair which would be convenient. Morel is walking distance from the town centre, Village is a bus ride. I'll make the assumption that you've picked Meribel for it's party reputation; if so Meribel has much more going on than Mottaret.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No defo not going to teach her myself. She like me
Will have had lessons. Iv done a few days
Abroad already. Got my eye set on a chalet
Hotel near altiport and one in mottaret.

By the sounds of it either would be ok

But a bit of travelling to the altiport first few days

Im not much of a party-going these days

Thanks for your swift reply

Scott
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scottengland, if there's not much to choose between the hotels the altiport area offers much easier progression for skiing and more options for nightime with a regular free bus into town. It's also prettier and more sheltered so better snow for most of the season.

I don't think your gf will thank you for dragging her down the Truit everyday.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MOttaret has two new reshaped beginners areas, the first is flat with a rope tow and the second one has a covered magic carpet lift now. I would say the Altiport is bigger and wider but also has more traffic on the beginner slopes , Mottaret could work as well as the altiport area.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scottengland, I would imagine your girlfriend will be heading wherever her instructor takes her. Probably not all the way down to Altiport if you are based in Mottaret. Raceplate makes a good point about Truit, it's flat but often crowded.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't take a beginner to either Meribel or Mottaret unless she was planning to spend the week with a good instructor.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am with Pam on this one, especially as you don't need the party scene (Meribel )

Cruisey blues are what's needed.save on the transfer time as well.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scottengland, welcome to snowHead by the way.

There is another option ie stay in Les Allues, a rather characterful village bit further down the valley. Ski Hame run a v nice chalet there and think they offer a minibus service up/back to the main part of Meribel but maybe to the Altiport area (Meribel Village?) too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Les Allues. There is also the bubble from Les Allues to the Chaudanne and the Raffort run back to Les Allues, though not recommended for beginners. Good bar and pizzas at Tsaretta. This takes some cost out if you can find some suitable accommodation.

Also have a look at Ski Cuisine who have a couple of Chalets (Veronica) below Rond Point. If social is not vital, these are ski in ski out, which is rare in Meribel and might offer a deal for a couple to fill a chalet. Also very handy out of Ronny or down from Altiport/Rhodos. Their food, as the name suggests, is excellent. We worked out that in the off peak weeks the value of the food and wine consumed covered the accommodation costs!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meribel & Mottaret are both Brilliant for you guys.... You'll love it IMO
As stated there are beginner options at both
Mottaret is pretty quiet at night with mainly resturaunts, I didn't hear any music or Apres in Mottaret at all (Meribel has plenty of bars n discos)
Most ski schools meet up at the Chaudanne in Meribel itself, so a trip down Truite may be the chosen route to ski school, my friend took the free blue bus on the 1st day, and was happy to warm up on Truite (an easy green) each morning from there on.
The magic carpet at Mottaret is free, as is the Altiport button once you're up there.
Re: costs... I'd check with the ski school, but would only get your beginner a Meribel Pass. The beginners usually don't go further.
If you want any advice on the pistes, I've only been there 6 times from beginner in the last 3 seasons, but I may be able to help a little. I take it you've looked at the piste map. When are you going?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
another Meribel/3V question - is there a possibility of getting a deal on 3V skipasses for a group of 8? Last January we got 30% off on Espace Killy pass from a challet owner. Anything similar available? As we are 8, not even sure if we could get 'tribe' discount for the last two people in our group ... any tips of 'good addresses' are very welcome Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tribe is for groups of 3 or more so as long as you all pay together or split into 2 groups you will get the tribe discount
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Snowrider, hope it will work that way.

This Feb was skiing in Les Menuires with my kids as my wife is a non-skier. When asked about a family ski-pass I was told that only 2 adults + 2 children are eligable for a family pass. Single parent families would be in disadvantage. I could have asked a nice female ski instructor or turist to 'join' our family, but could not see a nice looking around at that time Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't overlook staying in the centre of meribel either. There is an elevator next to the tourist office that drops you on a piste just above the chaudanne lifts. May not be suitable for a complete beginner but if she's had lessons in the uk first it should be fine. I've done this route with first timers before.
ski holidays
DoubleBombardino wrote:
There is another option ie stay in Les Allues, a rather characterful village bit further down the valley. Ski Hame run a v nice chalet there and think they offer a minibus service up/back to the main part of Meribel but maybe to the Altiport area (Meribel Village?) too.

DavidYacht wrote:
+1 for Les Allues. There is also the bubble from Les Allues to the Chaudanne and the Raffort run back to Les Allues, though not recommended for beginners. Good bar and pizzas at Tsaretta. This takes some cost out if you can find some suitable accommodation.

Whilst I quite like les Allues - do you really think it's the best place in Meribel for a beginner? Yes it's been a few years since i was one, but being able to pop out easily for an hour or so in an afternoon was definitely a key point for me (my friends had sensibly picked Avoriaz for that very reason) - I can't imagine beginners will be that enamoured of having to remember all their stuff, lift pass etc, and then deal with getting on/off buses and a 10-15 run to the lifts. Surely being able to walk to the new facilities in Mottaret, or stepping outside the door in Altiport is a much better suggestion...

After all surely the emphasis should be on 'hooking the gf for life?' - actually scottengland what you want to do is to bring another couple with you, preferably where at least one of them is also at the same level as your GF. That way she has a 'friend to go through the experience with' and you can go off for a cruise for the odd hour or two without her thinking you've deserted her. Many a couple have broken up on a powder day...
snow conditions
Try the Hotel Altiport right next to the beginner slopes... absolutely superb... but costly. As for lift passes... I understand there's a discount to be had if TWO people are buying the same pass this year. Therefore, your group of 8 will all benefit. A group of eight is also the magic number for getting the lowest priced transfer (per person) to and from resort. Try www.3vt.co.uk.
ski holidays
3vt wrote:
Try the Hotel Altiport right next to the beginner slopes... absolutely superb... but costly. As for lift passes... I understand there's a discount to be had if TWO people are buying the same pass this year. Therefore, your group of 8 will all benefit. A group of eight is also the magic number for getting the lowest priced transfer (per person) to and from resort. Try www.3vt.co.uk.

Thanks, noted. Hald of our group will be arriging by plane (Geneva), half by train to Moutiers. Do you also do Moutiers-Meribel/Mottaret transfers? The week is 4-11 Jan 2014 - UPS, just noticed you do that as well - will be in contact once plane and train tickets will be bought.
snow conditions
@scottengland, the new beginner run in Mottaret:

http://youtube.com/v/vMoIUGQlJTM

I love Mottaret.
latest report
I like Mottaret too, but the OP was asking about the place a while ago!

snowHead
snow report
@Hyst, thanks for the link to the video, hadn't seen that one before..
snow conditions
@skimottaret, Good somebody else had benefit out of my late answer. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy