Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP! - new monoskier looking for advice,counselling or sectioning

Poster: A snowHead
I've done a few days monoskiing - and I'm looking for any tips, gossip, info - or someone to share my new-found bizarre habit![/b]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well to answer all 3 in 3 films wink

http://youtube.com/v/rbdUEOyryeg

http://youtube.com/v/pdO-jllFqmA

http://youtube.com/v/n4A7ssN2xy0

First lesson how to use tow ropes and dismount on a monoski Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need this haircut Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/ZeCnXIB60RM
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keep your knees together
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I converted mine to a coffee table in 1985 - nuff said Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good man - always a privilege to see an endangered species Madeye-Smiley

It's traditional (around Avoriaz at least) to be hailed with a hearty "HOMMERRR!!" (or "FLICKERRR!!" for a girl) from the chairlift. I'm told it means "BRAVO!!", in french wink .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our good friends at SkiMarmalade give Mono lessons in the Three Valleys. Top boys and generally bonkers http://www.skimarmalade.com/videos/marmalade-no-more-its-monolade-now/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
c44rver, hello!

I was the first person to write about monoskiing in the UK (in Ski Survey magazine, 1977). The Bahne Single Ski, invented by surf champion Mike Doyle and developed during the 1970s, was unique in its time ... originally made famous in Dick Barrymore ski movies ... then copied by Duret in France, until many European ski makers made monoskis in the 1980s. I imported the first 10 Bahne skis into the UK from California in 1978.

The Bahne factory also innovated mass-production of the urethane skateboard wheel, which absolutely revolutionised that sport. The wheel was called the Cadillac.

My advice: ensure your regular 2-ski technique is really sound, in terms of stability of the upper body. The tendency of a monoski is to over-steer, which is how many people come unstuck on them. But it's possible to enjoy phenomenal skiing - particularly in normally-unskiable crud (though fat skis have made a big difference).

In the traverse, exaggerate the body position by twisting the upper body to face down the fall-line more clearly. This will keep the ski on its upper edge without breaking away. But the key thing is absolutely sound trained regular ski technique, to accentuate the carve and minimise the skid. It takes weeks of skiing to really get in the groove with a monoski, but once there ... it can be sensational!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent info and advice guys. Keep it coming

So far - keep the knees together - lol - no option as I've a very high-tect knee belt thingy!

Comedy Goldsmith, - Thank you for the tips

skimottaret, Thanks - 3 Valleys may have to wait until 1015/16 (I've got 3 Alpine breaks already booked!) but the "marmalade" advice will definitely be persued...

I've seen the videos previously -Awesome !! especially the TANDEM MONO Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Mental
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hadn't really thought about it. I think it's correct that if you can ski on two skis, and I mean ski well, then it's an easy transition to make. You will see people making a meal of it, but you don't have to.

Perhaps it's obvious, but in my opinion you want the upper body quiet and the strength of the turn comes from the hips, with lots of angulation required. If you don't already, you'll learn a lot about subtle weight shifts along the edge through the turn. Use a ski with brakes: leashes are dangerous on a mono in my experience. They ride well in mush, crud, and powder like a snowboard in fact, although as noted the difference is not so much now they have fat skis. Riding well on piste is harder because you need better edge control, but as Mr Plake demonstrates, once you know how to do it, it's a blast.

As far as taking abuse is concerned, there's nothing funnier than listening to the scoffing and then riding them into the ground.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi philwig,
I've found that far from being "busy", letting the edge take its course and smooth transitions are far and away the more controlled and less exhausting ways on the mono. It is totally a mind over matter thing - committing to the turn and trusting yourself and the ski to work.... however icy conditions seem to be a massive no-no (scars to prove it)

As for abuse - quite the opposite, people give you respect (and space!!), one Austrian bloke wanted to borrow it for a photoshot..another greeted me with one word "kudos".
But the best was the German dude in the gondola "AAh,zo a monoski.....ze disadvantages of both skis and snowboard in one package!" Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/AGmfZHPcvGE

Me - in not falling over shocker!!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
c44rver, keep an eye out for monoskis on ebay. The often come up, mainly vintage but I've seen some up to date Duret monos. I used to have 3 monoskis, a Snowshark Gun, White Knuckle 170 (bought from a yank in France), and a Head 185. As I got older I got slower, and the Snowshark particularly needed half decent speed or it was a beast.

Enjoy........... sooooooo much fun!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
c44rver, I forgot to add a link .......... http://www.illicitsnowboarding.com/2010/12/2011-monoski-gear-guide.html

... http://www.snowgunz.com/monoski-shop-and-monoskis-delivery-for-world-wide-monoskiers.htm
ski holidays
Ha ha - loved the illicitsnow....link. I started with a vintage Head ski - 160cm mostly for a bet. I now have a 2013 Duret Free as they were doing an economic deal at the time. The Snowgunz site is awesome - with some beautiful cinematography, definitely top of the wish list. A 1980s Rossignol mono sold today on Ebay for £50!!
snow report
c44rver wrote:
... I've found that far from being "busy", letting the edge take its course and smooth transitions are far and away the more controlled and less exhausting ways on the mono. It is totally a mind over matter thing - committing to the turn and trusting yourself and the ski to work.... however icy conditions seem to be a massive no-no (scars to prove it)
I think you'll find that I did not use the word "busy", which at least is the opposite of what I mean. Riding monos in my view requires less effort than using two planks, except perhaps for flats in deep snow, which requires finesse. For abuse - see the first few posts here, which are typical. Until they get their back bottoms kicked that is...

This is my mate Greg "riding I think in Lempriere creek in the Cariboos. It's the latest monoskier shot I have, from 2007. He's indistinguishable from a good boarder or skier in the back country.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
He's indistinguishable from a good boarder or skier in the back country.

Got to be tricky on the skin track though.
ski holidays
I agree - after a few tense and painful runs, it does become 'easier' than two planks. I find I need to plan ahead a little further though, and pick a line avoiding flats... although having sticks helps!

i now see what you mean about the abuse.....

My answer to the question "Why do you monoski?" - "Because I can!!" Very Happy
snow conditions
Serriadh wrote:
...Got to be tricky on the skin track though.

Yeah, that would be a problem. I'm lazy enough to stick to helicopters wink
ski holidays
Mr. Green

Jealous
snow conditions
This thread is nothing without the ultimate mono-stoke video (although obviously the Apocalypse Snow videos have to be there...):
http://www.tvmountain.com/video/glisse/7218-monoski-pierre-francois-brun-pif-bertrand-delapierre.html
ski holidays
c44rver, This is my definitive monoski youtube vid..............

http://youtube.com/v/WQedmzfT1Ng

Perfect!.. Watch the sublime availement/reploiment technique.
snow conditions
skimastaaah,

Amazing footage!! - it is my 'go to' clip when there seems to be too much summer Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

philwig wrote:
He's indistinguishable from a good boarder or skier in the back country.

Got to be tricky on the skin track though.

Just take your monosplit for the ride. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Using the mono in Scotland is near impossible - all button lifts and Tbars. So I strap snow blades to the rucksack and use these for the uplifts. Simples!!
latest report
Tbars can be a bit of a hassle on a monoski in certain circumstances (think side wind of 50 km/h and a to the side sloping liftpath Shocked ), but in my experience button lifts are no problem as you can put the button between your legs and behind your bottom? Pardon my French, I'm Dutch wink
latest report
Maybe it's the horizontal rain that makes it tricky.......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy