Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there people,
I am new to this site and also new to skiing. Me and my partner did the ski in a day course at snozone castleford where we both really enjoyed the experience.
after a few weeks practice we headed for crystal ski and went to la Tania in April, all i can say is WOW loved every minute.
so i have booked to go over Christmas to les Menuires, i simply am wondering what are the best bars to eat drink (rough cheap prices if you can) what are the must do runs? i have tackled a couple of red runs if there wider not too nasty. Also some nice wide blues for my partner i realize conditions can have an effect but just some pointers will do.
lastly anything that you think we should know or do.
thanks in advance.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 25-05-14 10:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I worked a season there a few years ago, though I was based up the hill a bit in Reberty. Keep going back, but to stay down the road in St martin de Belleville which I love.

The middle of Les Menuires is not exactly pretty and I'd say the bars are much of a muchness (am sure another snowhead will tell you where the real action is). Whereabouts in the resort are you staying? If you are up in Reberty or Bruyeres, it's a bit smarter. La Ferme by the blue Boyes piste is a popular spot for lunch. The Marmite down at the bottom in Bruyeres provides tasty trad mountain food. L'Etoile just above Les Menuires, on the piste by the top of the Montagnettes chair, is a good place for coffee and hot chocolate-served in traditional bowls by waiters in big berets!

Are you just buying a Les M and St Martin ski pass or venturing into the Meribel side? You may want to think about buying a 3 valleys pass-it opens up some lovely options. If you do-a big plus are there are more trees to ski in on the Meribel if the snow comes in and the visibility is poor. There are really no significant trees in Les M-a total contrast to La Tania. If you have not tried skiing when it is snowing and a virtual white out, take care and stay low where it is probably easier to pick out some landmarks

HOWEVER if you do get a 3V pass and venture over the hill-lifts may close early (only usually in windy bad weather-not because it is snowing only) and leave you on the wrong side of the hill-and it's a 90 min taxi ride, plus big bill if you have to get back by car!

Must do runs? Get yourself over into the St Martin sector and tackle Jerusalem-though that early in the season it may not be open. It's regularly at the top of the "best run in the world" lists. Steepish red at the top and then awesome rollercoaster. Though at your level I would probably avoid it if it's not been pisted-you might hate me otherwise! Best to check before you head in that direction as once you are at the top, it's the only way down on the Les Menuires side-any further and you can only drop down to Meribel-on a lovely blue run, but not much use if your lift pass is limited. Pramint is also delightful and less steep. Allemands is an excellent red, but again-tackle it in the morning as it is a bit of a run between resorts and can get bumpy and crowded later.
For your blue runs, I'd recommend heading to Grand Lac, and then keep going all the way on Pelozet and Biolley to St Martin for lunch (the Dahlia is usually good value if all you want is soup!). There is a nice easy way back afterwards to Les M on blue and greens for a nervous skier.
The blue Vallons run on the bottom of La Masse is nice and wide for cruising, though the bottom can be a bit hard-best done in the morning. Mont de la Chambre is also a good interesting blue run.

Avoid David Douillet Haut as it often gets hard and mogully.
There is a great restaurant called Chalet du Sunny just down from the Sunny express chairlift-they have live music or at least a DJ at the end of the day which is fun-not exactly the Folie Douce, but lively.

Must dos? Hmmm...there is bound to be a torchlight descent and fireworks, probably on Christmas eve. The fireworks are always good and worth a look-probably with freebie vin chauds on offer at Le Croisette.

Christmas will most likely be significantly colder than April-especially this April just gone. Take thermals. Wear layers. Buy some handwarmer sachets. Goggles help with vis and keep your face warm, think about investing in a buff neckwarmer or facemask. Expect to feel cold and therefore budget for stopping for a drink and warm up more often.
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
capstone, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Note, from the very helpful post from Perty, the spelling of Les Menuires. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

There is a great restaurant called Chalet du Sunny

I dropped by this gaff late one December afternoon last year and spent a delightful hour watching the most hilarious hip-hop karaoke performed by preppy Dutch kids, bless 'em

REcommeded.

Also as pam w, says, careful wiv the speling of Les Mis or they'll take yer lift pass of yer
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies,
my spelling is never my strong point add french words i am knackered lol,
Perty,
great reply! yes this time i have gone for the 3V pass as thought it may open up more runs this time, only had the local in La Tania and for our first ski holiday was fine plan to be more adventurous this time.
I did have a scary moment at the top of Bouc Blanc lift as the clouds came in luckily i followed somebody until i was under the cloud again to get on the Bouc Blanc run. so i like the plan of hoping over to Meribel in low cloud days ect.

Was also thinking of heading over to Val Thorens on a nice day as this seems to be close too.

We have invested in some better quality jackets as i expected it to be colder and will look into your other bits of advice, I do have a neck warmer and hand heaters and have got better goggles than last time as well.

We are staying in Residence Soleil Vacances not sure where this is in relation to the bars restaurants you have mentioned.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

my spelling is never my strong point add french words i am knackered lol,

With French names it's generally a case of copying - your other spelling is fine! You can go back to your first post, click on the edit button, then correct the spelling, copying what Perty or I have written. then everyone will know where you are talking about! Ask someone about how to pronounce it. It's kind of "lay mun weer" . Not, as it's sometimes known because of the architecture, The Manures, wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

You can go back to your first post, click on the edit button, then correct the spelling

Brill thanks Pam
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
More like les manure wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ansta1, well I guess capstone is not going for the traditional architecture. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

ansta1, well I guess capstone is not going for the traditional architecture.

Certainly not i have heard that it is not the most picturesque place but up a mountain it wont matter just need a bed and somewhere to eat my breakfast and tea Smile
Looks like the area we will be in is Brelin.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
capstone That's the spirit - yes, up a mountain is what counts! And the views may be marginally better than of Sheffield from the Ski Village wink. (I have very happy memories of that place Smile)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
capstone, I think it is a great place to ski. First lift up to la Masse on a bluebird day in good snow is pretty unbeatable. ... as is lunch on the terrace of l'Ours Blanc. Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

And the views may be marginally better than of Sheffield from the Ski Village . (I have very happy memories of that place )

Yea especially at the moment keep hoping for a giant fridge Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think it is a great place to ski. First lift up to la Masse on a bluebird day in good snow is pretty unbeatable. ... as is lunch on the terrace of l'Ours Blanc.

Sounds good to me! getting all excited again think ill go practice again tomorrow at castleford
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brelin-a proper bit of Les Menuires 1960s architecture..nuff said! Unspeakably ugly but central.
Now that I know you will have a 3v pass, I suggest you check out Choucas as a lovely blue down on the Meribel side. You often see instructors there as it's nice and wide, high up, and you can do laps of it on a drag lift (or head down Jerusalem if you fancy it from the top). Over in Meribel, the blue Lapin to Meribel Village is a great cruise on a snowy day.
Pluviometre down to VT is probably the best route to take. If it's really cold VT doesn't give you much protection from the wind. The so called "red" run-Bvd Cumin from VT along the bottom back to Les M- is actually a path which involves poling so don't let that put your blue run skier off-it's easy peasy (flat!). So you can go to VT, and you will be able to get back to Les M without having to take major lifts and runs back if you nave had enough for the day.
ski holidays
thanks again perty sounds like you know the area very well definitely going to try jerusalem and choucas sounds perfect for the missus.
Thanks again this should help me explore more as last time I was unsure on what I could ski unless I could see the slope first.
snow report
Another vote for Jerusalem. I was the first person to ski it on a gorgeous bluebird day back in January. Was a bit fast first thing in the morning but with no other punters around no collisions to worry about at least Smile I finished the run with a big grin on my face.
ski holidays
Am a piste map and route finder geek! Embarassed (for that read control freak-I like to know where I am, and how things fit together). Make sure you both have maps!

Bear in mind if the Missus does Choucas and you ski Jerusalem, you will end up on opposite sides of the hill and she won't really be able to ski from the top of Choucas back over to Les Menuires without taking Jerusalem. (I think if desperate you can hike up past the top of Jerusalem about 100 yards and you would find a blue cat track back on the right side of the hill, but that's not much fun)
At risk of sounding a ski map bore (yawn-and btw-I am checking some lift and piste names on online maps to be sure-I am not quite a walking talking piste guru)-while you ski Jerusalem, she could ski Choucas to the short drag lift on her right called Caves, take the drag up, then ski a simple blue alongside the moon park to the Tougnette 2 6 man chair. Take that to the top, by which time you will hopefully be popping off the top of the St Martin 2 chair about 20 metres away. Result! From there, if your legs are knackered, it's an easy blue- Gros tongue (past the Grand lac restaurant) and blue to green cat track (Gros tongue and Violette) back down to the front door of your [ahem!] "lovely" apartment block.

Another lovely quiet blue is Verdet -you get to it off the top of the Olympic chair. Verdet joins the very bottom of Jerusalem. Ski down Choucas as before, hang a left at the bottom onto Gelinotte (goes behind the left hand drag lift) which takes you to Olympic. At the top of the Olympic lift follow the blue run Roc de Fer and then turn right just before you would otherwise drop back onto the Meribel side. Again however, Verdet is a late opening run, as it faces due south and therefore has less snow cover early in the season. My guess is that it may not be open for Christmas. Shame as it is another dead quiet piste (shhh!) and rolls over what are the summer cow pastures back to the bottom of the St martin 2 chair.

It's very easy for good skiers to assume people can get down stuff which they might in fact find far too scary, or that they can ski further and harder than their poor old thighs will allow. I was a very nervous skier once, so know how easily I got the collywobbles if I could not see the runs I was taking (and even then, they can look pretty terrifying when you look up the mountain at them). As a beginner and early intermediate, I think a piste with good snow and fewer people is probably easier than a busier more chopped up run. If your partner could get down Folyeres (the main blue run back to La Tania), then she should be absolutely fine on any of the runs I mentioned. The snow will be less hard packed too. The middle of Les M around your accommodation will feel rather busier, and if you can take my word for it and head a bit further afield, I think you will be rewarded with much nicer conditions.
And finally-have you thought about taking a couple of lessons-maybe not ski school as such, if you don't fancy being wedded to group sessions, but a couple of 1-2 hour private lessons should really help. You could double up even if you are at slightly different levels, and take one early in the week and one towards the end...
ski holidays
Les menuires gives you easy access to l'ours blanc. You won't be needing any other options.
ski holidays
Quote:

(and even then, they can look pretty terrifying when you look up the mountain at them)

Loze in 1850 is a good example of this, looking up the hill it, even as a seasoned and barely competent skier, looks quiet daunting.

If you find yourself in 1850 the Courcheneige restaurant/bar on the bellecote run into 1850 centre is very good quality and value for money. I have often said that in my view it's the best value vs quality restaurant in 1850. (I used to say it was Bar/restaurant Le jump but that has now turned into an overpriced fancy place which I wouldn't go back to again).

+1 for Jerusalem, even though I broke a couple of ribs a few years ago over the rollers and round the corner at the bottom.
latest report
Thanks again Perty,
Quote:

If your partner could get down Folyeres

she never managed to do that one it was slushy and she was struggling with an old ice hockey injury which she has now bought a support for her hip that seems to help.
what she did do was Anemones, lac bleu into courchevel 1850 on the days she skied and also biollay.

Quote:

And finally-have you thought about taking a couple of lessons-maybe not ski school as such, if you don't fancy being wedded to group sessions, but a couple of 1-2 hour private lessons should really help. You could double up even if you are at slightly different levels, and take one early in the week and one towards the end...

We also had a lesson last holliday to help her get her turns better i also joined in the lesson and was quite handy. we may do this again but she has got a little more confident with more practice since we were in La Tania.

Quote:

+1 for Jerusalem, even though I broke a couple of ribs a few years ago over the rollers and round the corner at the bottom.

Oh dear ansta1, what was the reason i want to try and avoid injuries Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Oh dear ansta1, what was the reason i want to try and avoid injuries

The classic combination of my brain writing cheques my body couldn't cash. Way too fast for my skill level (but there was only 2 of us on the whole piste), caught a couple of edges and faceplanted onto a hip flask in my inside pocket, got up feeling a little second hand continued down to the bottom and round the left hand corner, crossed both tips (probably still a little out of sorts from the first crash) faceplant again but this time at low speed (again onto hip flask). Cue the next 3 days being doped up on painkillers and the odd beverage or two and a trip to A and E on my return to the UK.
snow conditions
Don't blame Jerusalem .... The clue is in the hip flask Toofy Grin
I did the same on Rhodos Laughing
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Don't blame Jerusalem .... The clue is in the hip flask Toofy Grin
I did the same on Rhodos Laughing

Nah, the main problem was my lack of ability, or rather my perception that my ability was higher than it was in reality. Hip flask issue was sorted the following season with new poles Happy hic...
ski holidays
Courtesy of Ansta's Gopro hire way back when alll this was prairie
snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/NG0kAZd05TU
snow conditions
Quote:

Courtesy of Ansta's Gopro hire way back when alll this was prairie

great vid i so cant wait to ride this run Very Happy
snow report
Ahhhhh Very Happy I needed that virtual ski....
Snow looked really good if it was April 2013.

I noticed that the piste marker Jerusalem 17 was on the track down to the top of the run. Capstone's OH, should not be worried, as you can see a hundred yards or so further on when you get to the actual start of Jerusalem there are 2 big banners, one for Jerusalem in Red and one in blue to the right for the blue run Choucas I mentioned. The vid doesn't make the top bit look that steep...am trying to find some pics, but am having some issues with how to post them.....
latest report

Jerusalem from the top
Jerusalem from the top...Mr P in full swing...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Snow looked really good if it was April 2013

There was still plenty of snow everywhere in April 2013 IIRC.
latest report
Quote:

Capstone's OH, should not be worried

Showed her the movie she was happy with that bit.
snow conditions
Great video (and photo too) - Jerusalem is a brilliant run - went down a couple of times while in La Tania this February (it was on my 'must do' list after reading so many recommendations on here). It was really quiet too - we barely saw anyone else both times, one of the few exceptions being a lady who skied past me while singing 'Jerusalem' at the top of her voice!

I'm relatively new to skiing (am quite cautious also) and struggle on trickier red runs, but this one was fine as the steeper bit is really wide.
latest report
Quote:

I'm relatively new to skiing (am quite cautious also) and struggle on trickier red runs, but this one was fine as the steeper bit is really wide.

Sounds great might even get the OH to try it then Little Angel
snow report
So we have been doing a lot of practice at a fridge and have come on a lot with our skiing now, so 2 questions:

how would you move on from the recommended easy reds to the trickier slopes ? maybe an easier black ? or a harder red?

and we are thinking about a nice meal out for Christmas day night so far la ferme de Reberty seems a good one any other recommendations bearing in mind we are staying over in Brelin
ski holidays
capstone, Ski the La Masse area. Some steeper section of red combined with some cruisy stuff up the top of the mountain. As above, l'Ours Blanc is a super dining venue.
snow report
sometimes you just have to take the plunge and try the harder runs to see how hard they measure against your abilities (though I am sure some people will come back and tell me off). Don't get hung up too much on the colour not only are some reds really blacks and some blacks really reds but the conditions of the run can vary and this can make that 'nice red' you did yesterday into a 'horrible black' tomorrow.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
capstone, I think it is a great place to ski. First lift up to la Masse on a bluebird day in good snow is pretty unbeatable. ... as is lunch on the terrace of l'Ours Blanc. Cool

Please keep this to your self thank you.
latest report
Quote:

how would you move on from the recommended easy reds to the trickier slopes ? maybe an easier black ? or a harder red?

Book a private lesson with an instructor (preferably one you have been recommended) and give them that brief. Most people have some issues with their fundamental technique that will make progressing to harder and steeper slopes challenging, but a good instructor will be able to quickly point you in the right direction.

Ansta1 is right that the colour of the slope is not all that relevant.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
capstone, Ski the La Masse area. Some steeper section of red combined with some cruisy stuff up the top of the mountain. As above, l'Ours Blanc is a super dining venue.

Agree all round. Enjoy la Ferme as well.
snow report
thanks for the Tips Guys Frosty the Snowman, will check it out
kieranm, may well do that thanks have been having coaching etc indoor but it is different on a "real " slope
latest report
There are some great wide blue runs in Val Thorens and a nice easy run back to les men afterwards.
If it's warm (it was last Christmas!) be aware that runs back to les men (but not vt run) can be bumpy and cut up and not much fun. Recommendation is to take it nice and slow and stop at a few bars along the way!
Also avoid top of David Doillet red run of the top of the mont de la chambre run. It's more like a black and will freak your other half out!
Recommend restaurant at end of Pelozet run at bottom of st martin 2 chair. Reasonable prices and lovely runs down.
Also ferme at reberty and chalet sunny.
Tbh most places are good with ok prices except in val thorens where they can be expensive. One place invited us to remove our ski boots. At which point we realised we prob couldn't afford to eat there!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy