Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee or back to Sauze

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After February's trip to Ellmau with the kids me and the OH will be going out to somewhere on the 14th or 15th March for week. Did Sauze last year and had an amazing time with superb weather.

I am keen to go back as it is a huge area with enough terrain to keep us happy. The apres is also important for us and we like to have a good wee drink at the end of the day before returning to our lodgings for a freshen up and dinner. I love Italy and Austria because the average price of a beer is around the 3.50 euro mark and France upsets me when i pay 7 or 8 euros.

On top of these choices is the option of returning to L2A where i had my first ski holiday. The attraction being that i can now ski everything there as opposed to all the greens and one or two blues the last time. L2A would be catered chalet option so can get a good drink vbeofre venturing out in the evening. Don't mind paying for a couple at apres ski time but never really saw the apres scene much last time i was there as i was nowhere near the pano bar and we used to go to a little dutch bar in the village where in happy hour you could get a beer for 4 euros. we did however get really freindly with our other chalet guests and we also had a hot tub where we would sit listenign to music and drinking beers until dinner.

The OH is keen on Switzerland as neither of us has been there whilst i will basically go anywhere but do not want to get annoyed paying silly money for a beer. The dolomites has also been mentioned but the ski areas don't look big enough for the mileage we like to do. (i may be wrong).

any comments greatfully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saas Fee (itself, Saas Grund is cheaper but requires bus/car) is not the cheapest place I've ever been to. And not the biggest area either.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sella Ronda is huge. Individual areas aren't that big but anything linked to the Sella Ronda gives the option of massive mileages and visiting lots of villages. Beer not very expensive iirc. Didn't drink much though after much skiing 1 beer = zzzzz
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mikeelsa, it's 6 or 7 yrs since I've been to Saas Fee. We went s/c and meals out were expensive, back then £100 for 3 for pizza/rosti and a drink. Would recommend half board accommodation for Swiss resorts. The pubs were fairly pricey, we blew a quarter of our budget for the entire week on the first evening and never had a hangover. The whole mountain offloads at the same point and there were some good bars right at the foot of the slopes for apres.The village and the surrounding mountains are beautiful. Unless the uplift has changed in recent years, I remember being slightly frustrated by the lack of connections between the three 'sections' of the mountain. The high altitude was also very noticeable up on the glacier, where I found walking a struggle (I was a smoker then though).
As for the Dolomites, we went this easter for the first time and fell in love with the place, so much so that we are going back this xmas. The area is vast (1200+km) so it should keep anyone occupied. The food and drink on the mountain is top notch and reasonably priced and the scenery is also stunning.
I would return to either Saas Fee or the Dolomites.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied Via Lattea (though not based in Sauze, actually at the other end in Montgenevre) and Saas Fee (just for a long weekend). I for one would definitely prefer Via Lattea, bigger and more varied area (although Saas Fee can look very impressive sith the towering circle of mountains around you).

Dolomites resorts linked to the Sella Ronda have huge mileage - a great option. I'm going there for Christmas.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied the last four days of the season at Saas Fee in April and have been there a number of times. The high, glacier, terrain ensures good snow all season but does mean the lift system, as mentioned above, is fragmented and I have been blown off the mountain and stuck in the valley through bad weather above the mainly treeless slopes. It is spectacular, though, and I like the village. Like most of Switzerland, it can be punishingly expensive to eat and drink. You will certainly get more bang for your buck in Italy this season (I'm booked for one trip to Italy already in March) although if money were no object, I'd go to Switzerland every time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheers for comments. back to sauze is my preference although tempted by dolomites also. Can't decide how big area is though. i know overall it is huge but is it all linked. For instance i saw a good deal to passo tonale but it says 90km of piste which is not enough for us. Is it linked or is it buses to other resorts. Would love to try Switzerland and will one day but as majority of holiday cash will be spent on February's trip I don't really want to spend a fortune on beer and wine in the pub at extortionate prices.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cervinia? Advantages: Lots of skiing; you get to pop over to Zermatt/Swizerland; great grub on both sides but significantly cheaper in Italy; and a good place for Mid March...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We love Sass Fee and will be back for the 6th year running this year, but we have 4 kids (10, 8, 6, 4) and the resort really suits families as it is car-free, self-contained and has a fantastic nursery slope section out of the way with no through traffic. Add guaranteed good snow, the fact that all runs merge back towards the village (so you can't get lost!), and fun but not excessive apres and you have a great place for families. That being said the area is quite limited in extent, the lifts are not well linked and it is not the cheapest (although we find Switzerland similar cost to UK for most things). I would not recommend it for anyone obsessed with high image or high octane apres (or looking for a cheap holiday). Zermatt is a better choice if you want that and have the spend (and everyone needs to do it before they die!). Also consider Val D'Annivers.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 7-12-14 12:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You're not comparing like with like when looking at Sauze and Saas Fee. You know what Sauze has to offer. Saas Fee is stunningly beautiful and spectacular but it has the drawbacks already mentioned i.e. limited area, fragmented system. It does offer lots though with some really nice skiing, guaranteed snow and the aforementioned setting. Saas Grund an Saas Almagel are small areas nearby, the latter very small and questionable whether they're worth a visit. Prices tend to be high in Saas Fee.
L2A has some drawbacks in my opinion with a very linear system which leads to long journeys to get from one end of the area (the glacier) back to the village. I like it well enough in small doses but it does tend to be somewhat chavvy at times.
The dolomites are spectacular and if you hit the Sella Ronda, you have at your disposal a huge linked largely intermediate playground.
Much depends on what are your real priorities. It sounds like après value is high in your list in which case Switzerland may not be ideal. It also sounds like you want a big area to go at. The best compromise might just be one of the resorts in the Sella Ronda.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tbh the main priority is big areas as we like to set off in morning on an adventure. Apres can be crazy or quiet as long as something on offer. Too old for late night partying nowadays so just enjoy a beer or three at end of day. Might let hair down on one night. I know l2a is not huge and the attraction there is to go and ski it all as i only managed greens and a couple of blues previously. Can also spend day at alpe d huez. Limited by cost to certain areas as big budget holiday is with kids to austria in february
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy