Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official Unofficial 2013/2014 Thread - It's Snowtime

Poster: A snowHead
I've been to the Hinterhag Alm on previous holidays and I'm sure I’ve seen tables reserved for the afternoon apres party. Is it just a case of phoning up ahead and booking? I also vaguely remember seeing bottles of vodka (possibly other spirits) being delivered to these tables in ice buckets... is that part of the deal if you reserve a table, you have to buy a bottle?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blondends, When we've reserved a table, we've just had a word a day or two ahead with Milan - he's the well-built guy who is normally protecting Evi from being jostled during 'Evi's Herzltanz', i.e. when she's chucking hearts down from the balcony to the accompaniment of 'Unchained Melody'. The job of reserving tables is Milan's responsibility. You can order whatever you want; the vodka in the ice bucket is, I assume, something you can order and isn't part of any particular deal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tatman's Tours, Ok cool sounds a lot easier than I thought. I had visions of a 'minimum spend' to reserve a table. I quite like the idea of a personal bottle of vodka/sprit on the table with mixers, saves the queuing at the bar AND the nightmare walk back to the table through the crowds whilst trying not to spill the drinks.

However, I quite like standing upstairs on the balcony, there’s a great view of the band and the dodgy dancing below. The problem is the shorter members of our group always find themselves stood behind the tallest bloke in the bar, so this time round a reserved table it is.

I’ll make sure we ask for Milan during a quieter period of our first day and see what he can do for us. Thanks for the tip!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
blondends,
Quote:

saves the queuing at the bar

We hardly ever go to the bar. Waiters are constantly circulating and taking orders for drinks, which they bring to your table or to wherever you're standing. They're always very eager to please.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm overjoyed to report that the very talented Irish band, Cuckoo, have been booked to play in Bobby's Pub, Saalbach Hinterglemm every Monday evening for the whole winter season, commencing 30th December - so we know where we'll be every Monday evening!.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sadly not be with you all in Saalbach/ Hinterglemm this year but we will be back next time...going to Niederau with the GFs kids to teach them to ski! Suspect a very different holiday to chillin in the Goasstahl Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just a quick conditions update , skied most of the circus yesterday and conditions are generally good with leogang seeming to have the best snow, new snow would be welcome but they cannons are working and the piste's are general good. Bumped into Tatman's Tours up on the hill as well, nice to see him back for the season , the village is generally quite but it will be all change on Saturday i guess.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Bumped into Tatman's Tours up on the hill

Nearly choked on my Apfelstruedel, when this guy I was chatting to in the Bergeralm (and recognised from meeting him once last year in Bobby's Pub) suddenly said, "I'm waistdeep, by the way"! Shock
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It looked good struedel to me , hope I did not put you off it ? . Quiet day today hanging curtains and doing a xmas shop before the hoards appear on the Friday/Saturday . Good first après of the season though , more bars opening in the next few days I am told.

See you around the village

wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Goa$stall was amazing tonight! Absolutely amazing!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I should really stop reading this thread. I decided to try somewhere different this year and am heading to Soll with the wife for a week and with the lads for a long-short break.
But I am going to miss Saalbach and all it's shenanigans!!
Joe
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
joe1978 wrote:
am heading to Soll with the wife for a week and with the lads for a long-short break.
But I am going to miss Saalbach and all it's shenanigans!!
Joe

Aww don't worry, we'll welcome you with open arms!! Plenty of shenanigans in Soll. When you coming?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First trip is with crystal arriving 1/2/14 then a DIY Wed-Sun effort with the lads 5/3/14.
Looking forward to it.
Are you the man in the know for Soll then Humpfknick?

To keep this on topic. As a rough guide to Saalbach just do what Tatman says. It never did us any harm last year.
Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah great, you have it in the right order so! Early Feb will be nicel, reasonably quiet, and then early March will be party time!! Yes I live half my life in Soll, so if I can be of any help please just drop me a PM or let me know! Now, back to Saalbach wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from my week in Hinterglemm last week. Delayed at Salzburg due to fog and had to return via Lintz(?).
Other than that we had a great week. No fresh snow but beautiful blue skies every day. The pistes generally remained in good nick all week and were as good on the last day as the first, which is testimony to the snow cannons. Slopes pretty quiet as well but I guess that's probably all changing now.

Many thanks for all the advice I received on this thread before departure. Sadly the toboggoning was not running in Hinterglemm due to poor snow/ early season but we really enjoyed the night skiing and our night out in Saalbach (Bauers Ski Alm, Eva Alm, Bobbys and Mangos- which had live music on Wednesday night). We found a fondue in Hotel Residence restaurant, which was a very pleasant chilled place and good value to boot.

Finally, I lunched at the chicken man above Leogang on 3 different occasions and can thoroughly recommend him. He does ribs as well. It may not be quite so enjoyable on a cold day but we were scoffing in the sun and loved it!
ski holidays
EdYarker, Glad you had a good week Very Happy - fingerlickin' good by the sound of it.

All the incoming people were having their flights diverted yesterday for the same reason. our guests who were due at 12.00 finally arrived at 5.30.pm, having been diverted to Klagenfurt (whilst their taxi waited at Salzburg!).
snow report
Found Costello's was great after about 5pm, when it was in full swing with the live music last year. Just across the road from the Berger Sport Hotel.
latest report
Quote:

Found Costello's was great after about 5pm

The problem is that it conflicts with the Hinterhag! Toofy Grin
snow report
We got lazy as our hotel was across the road from Costello's and so never did Hinterhug, back there again end of January so that will be a must this year.
snow conditions
Scarlet Fez wrote:
Found Costello's was great after about 5pm, when it was in full swing with the live music last year. Just across the road from the Berger Sport Hotel.

We're at the Berger in Feb, sounds like we will have to investigate Costello's!
snow report
We are back there on the 18th of January, not staying at the Berger this year! Toofy Grin
latest report
Christmas eve, spring skiing or that what it felt like today. Snow in the mornings still holding up well with Leogang sector being the best on the hill apart from Shatt North which has the best snow conditions in the valley. I believe a change in the weather is on the way according the local weather guru's , maybe boxing day but most are saying big snow due in mid January. Have a great xmas one and all , off for some après now.
ski holidays
Quote:

some après

Talking about the famous Saalbach après, the Hinterhag Alm party kicks off on Boxing Day, so let's all convene there. Toofy Grin All being well, it will be Josef Solar's 37th consecutive winter season of performing unflaggingly to the après-ski party animals of Saalbach, so let's give him the welcome he deserves.
latest report
waistdeep, yeah Leogang side holds best, but half of hill is full of rocks, so not really fun if you have some race skis you need to return on end of season... still in sort of normal conditions Smile
Otherwise Saalbach part is pretty good, even with these temperatures, while Hinterglemm part is disaster, at least south facing side, as we didn't go around to north facing slopes with my wife (might do it tomorrow as it feels like slopes would hold better over there). They are promising some half meter new snow for Thursday... well let's wait and see even though at the moment, I wouldn't mind if this waits till Monday, when I will be back home after having holidays here till Friday, and then going to Lienz WC races for weekend.
snow report
Primoz , here for most of the season so early doors , guess we have been spoilt here with the xmas skiing over the last few years where we have had good snow and cold temps ,but its nice to see some sun for a change even though the skiing is not as good as it has been at this time of the year in the past. Have a good ending to your time. here in saalbach .
ski holidays
Windy day here in Saalbach with may of the upper lifts closed this morning , managed a couple of early runs before calling it a day as the lifts were just too busy . Forecast is for cooler weather from Friday and maybe some snow/rain for boxing day so hopefully better conditions next week ?

Off for a quick walk to make room for après beers and xmas dinner.
latest report
Skiing today definitely very windy. Every single lift in saalbach with the exception of the turnlift and the bottom part of the Schattberg express was closed by lunchtime. The higher lifts in hinterglemm also. Buses very busy.
ski holidays
The Hinterhag Alm party season got off to a storming start last night, and I see that it's been voted overwhelmingly the best après-ski venue in the Alps with nearly 80% of the votes in this new on-line survey: http://community.ispo.com/bestes-apres-ski-bar-in-den-alpen/voting-ansehen/b549a75e0bac984e2ee3100b189b4361/
However only 209 votes have so far been registered, and the Goassstall isn't even one of the contenders Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Goassstall should definitely be on there, and so should La Folie Douce in Val d'Isere!

Well, my Courchevel trip is all done, so now the countdown is ON to Saalbach, I'm super excited to be returning.

I'm seeing my Saalbach ski buddy/roomie tonight as well Very Happy

We will be lucky to get a repeat of this year's conditions though, they were among the best I've ever skied.
ski holidays
Looking forward to my first trip to Saalbach this January, hopefully the conditions will be good. Sounds like it could do with a bit of fresh snow right now?

Never been to Austria so I'm quite looking forward to the whole experience Smile
snow report
Russeh, oooo you picked a great resort for your first taste of Austria! Very different to France, and fantastic fun.
snow report
Fingers crossed that January will bring more snow , yesterdays snow was nice and with a move back to normal temp's for the time of year what we do have should keep as long as it does not get warm again. Village is very busy but again normal for new years week , so it early après and first lifts to get a head start on the crowds.

As HoneyBunny says very different from France , sure you will enjoy Saalbach.
ski holidays
thanks HoneyBunny, waistdeep

yeah from what people have said Austria is more friendlier? I've heard Saalbach is quite a lively place in the evenings, although that might be wasted on me as its all about the skiing and the mountains Smile

So its been pretty warm lately? I'm not worried yet I'm not coming out until the 18th
snow conditions
Been a coldish night here in saalbach , hopefully temp's will keep at this level which is normal for this time of the year. No fresh snow due this week according to the locals but at least the cannons will be working day and night. Off for 1st lifts to miss the crowds. Have a great new years eve everyone.
snow report
Great to see Cuckoo in fine form last night in Bobby's - their first gig of the season, and they're booked for every Monday evening.
snow report
Waistdeep, TT,

how are conditions v last few years, from webcams it looks like a sprinkling has come down in last few days but I have not seen any decent dumps come down?

Thanks
latest report
ribblevalleyblue, Nothing like as much snow as usual, but adequate on most of the pistes - very little outside the pistes, from what I've seen, although I've not yet been up Schattberg or the Zwoelferkogel. The fresh snow of two days ago was, as you say, only a sprinkling. On a positive note, the weather is beautiful and the temperature currently quite cold, and the pistes are hard and fast.
latest report
Ribblevalleyblue , Did the circuit today , you can find good snow but there is a lot of hard artificial out there as well which is not the greatest and with the crowds here this week makes for some interesting line choice's , hopefully should start too get a little less crowded after Thursday this week but then again its Russia Newyear next week. Long term prospects for major snowfall are sketchy to say the least as at the moment locals are saying mid Jan or late Jan before anything major dumps ( hopefully they are wrong ) guess we now play the waiting game.
ski holidays
Off to Saalbach this Saturday. Conditions are looking fairly horrible on the webcams Sad
snow report
mmm it's not looking the best is it? However, they do have stacks of snowmaking, so as long as it stays cold while you're there, you should be OK. And if the snow's crap, it just means you don't need to feel guilty about starting the apres early Very Happy

I must admit, I'm glad I'm not going for a few weeks yet, give it a chance for some decent snowfall (fingers crossed).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy