Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official Unofficial 2013/2014 Thread - It's Snowtime

Poster: A snowHead
waheikedawn, Could be your lucky day. We are vacating our apartment on the 16th early morning. Just checked and it is showing as available on the booking website for your requirements.
I will PM you the details so as no one else grabs it Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
richards521, I strongly suggest you take up Tatman's Tours on his offer, you won't regret it!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
18 sleeps to go! Yay!

Looking forward to our first visit to Hinterglemm/Saalbach and hoping there will be loads of snow snowHead

Enjoying this thread and promise to post a trip report when we return.

chemistry
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It has been a bit of a overcast day here in Saalbach today, piste's are in great condition with all runs now open that means you can ski down to Viehhofen for the first time this season which has put a smile on my face as its one of my favourite runs in the valley. Can still find some fresh tracks if you try but most of the established routes were tracked out yesterday morning . Forecast is a mixture of cloud and sun for the rest of the week and staying cooler than of late.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone been to the Theresiegarten Hotel in Hinterglemm? Any feedback welcomed, thanks!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MacPie wrote:
Anyone been to the Theresiegarten Hotel in Hinterglemm? Any feedback welcomed, thanks!

Can't help re the skiing, but people who stayed there on a walking holiday in September raved about the hotel - very friendly owners, good food and facilities. Others will say how convenient it is for skiing - it is situated on the road between Saalbach and Hinterglemm.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Clear blue skies here in Saalbach , snow conditions are great at the moment but skied down to Viehhofen midday and its getting a bit brown in places with stones coming through so I would think twice if I was doing it again on my own skies until we have more snow , which is forecast for Sunday but the bad news is its getting warmer over the next few days , back in the plus degrees.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
waistdeep, We also skied down piste 68 at about midday but didn't see you - maybe we were tucking into one of the Hecherhuette's famous gulasch soups as you passed. Hard to beat the weather and conditions today. Re the thin patches towards the bottom - there seems to be plenty of snow at the sides of the piste, which could be used to repair/cover those patches, so worth keeping an open mind. That beautiful run down to the Hecherhuette makes it worth it!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tatman , Agree with you all the way just hope that they do enough work to keep it in a reasonable state so they can keep it open. Looking at the next three weeks the temps are getting back to where they were a few weeks which does is not good , hopefully the forecast is wrong !!! , good new that the temps are low enough at the moment so the cannons can work day and night.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="quinton"]
Quote:

Russeh, - could you edit/shrink/remove the photo so we can read more than just the left-hand half of each post!

Sorry quinton not been online for a few days, I've removed the image.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Russeh, Thanks.

I'll have to give piste 68 a go this week - it's been closed every time I've been up there so far and judging by the reports above, it won't be open for long. Piste 51 has also now opened - a good alternative route back to Saalbach on the Panorama/Kohlmais side with the added bonus of giving easy access to the excellent food and ambience at the Kohlmais Stub'n.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Piste 51

Our home run!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have stayed at the Theresia twice, though both times we booked into the cheaper wing next door (now called the Johann). It is by some way, the best ski hotel we've stayed in. Can't recommend it highly enough - great food, service, pool, spa and unlimited cake and ice cream if you make it back in time (we have been chased down by ski patrol before as we were enjoying ourselves so much and missed it). We're hoping to book for 2 weeks next year. Look out for the packages including lift pass and we've found it much cheaper to book direct. For next year it is an unbelievable £2k cheaper than inghams for 2 weeks including lift passes and flights as they want to charge 90% of an adult price for our 2 year old even though she's free if we book direct.

Glad the snow came. We were in st Anton a couple of weeks ago - pistes good but everybody was praying for more snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for that reveiw, Jj72. Sounds very encouraging indeed. Yes, we booked direct as well, got the lift pass included. Looking forward to it, let just hope there's a bit more snow in the next 2 weeks!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MacPie wrote:
Looking forward to it, let just hope there's a bit more snow in the next 2 weeks!

+1!
snow report
Hi all,

I'm heading out this weekend. Is there any runs snowboarders should be avoiding. i.e. long flat runs that will result in a board off and walk situation?
ski holidays
Quote:

long flat runs that will result in a board off and walk situation?

Nothing major, but you'll need to keep your speed up on the flat section of 46 next to the Bernkogel T-Bar and likewise on the section of 65 from the Wildenkarhutte at the top of Schonleiten.

Today's update [30th Jan] - did the 68 down to Viehofen on a glorious cold and sunny day, but the sun has taken its toll on that particular piste. Upper section perfect; middle section to Hecherhutte was slushy with minor brown bits and stones which were easily avoidable. Lower section after the roadway had major areas of brown mud - the bit by the farm was barely passible. I suspect that this piste will close tonight unless/until more snow arrives. Well at least it was open for 3 days.
snow conditions
Did the anti-clockwise circuit again today, and what a difference since last time - nice to see the valley looking all white with none of those unsightly green patches mentioned above. The pistes were generally in good condition; even the low section of 2b down to Jausern looks a lot better than last week (albeit mogulled and a bit icy in places). Nice to see that a few more pistes are now open - such as 19 and 4a - and that there's now enough snow to cut across off-piste from 4 to to 2a in order to cut out the Limberg chair on the way to Jausern. There's also good and ample snow on the pistes and off-piste meadows on the way to and from the Grabenhuette.
quinton, Shame about 68 Sad

Feeling a tad 'Hinterhagged out' this evening- that place is increasingly a victim of its own success - especially upstairs.
snow conditions
Quote:

Nothing major, but you'll need to keep your speed up on the flat section of 46 next to the Bernkogel T-Bar and likewise on the section of 65 from the Wildenkarhutte at the top of Schonleiten.

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for those parts. Guessing the section of 65 is the one you can see on the webcam near bergstation 1.
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:

Feeling a tad 'Hinterhagged out' this evening- that place is increasingly a victim of its own success - especially upstairs.

It will all be better when we are there Toofy Grin
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:

There is only so much schwimm schwimm schwimming one man can do!! Smile
latest report
Early morning ski today , snow conditions still good but getting slushy lower down by midday. 68 is now shut again and I guess will stay so until new snow and it gets colder again , slopes seemed to be for a Friday not busy at all which was very strange. Forecast is for snow on Sunday but warm next week , could be worse I was told it was raining and 6 deg in Zell this morning ?
ski holidays
Any news about how the snow is holding up? Starting to get nervous prior to flying out on the 15th... Puzzled
latest report
I wouldn't worry, other than a very few lower pistes, it's a quality, rather than quantity issue, and the quality changes from day to day, depending on the direction of the wind and the air temperature, which has been quite variable of late. Generally speaking we are greatly enjoying our skiing days out; mostly the weather is sunny, and the piste skiing is good and fast (not so, the off-piste). It could of course all change by 15th, but mid-Feb should be okay, even this season!
latest report
Looks like a decent snowfall could be on the way at last at the end of this week - fingers crossed!

The webcams are looking very pleasant today!
latest report
Hi I am an old codger looking for a last minute break. This Saturday Inghams have this hotel, very reaonable...Hotel Pinzgauerhof. Any views on it location, is it full of youngsters generally?also best place to hire skis fom, Inghams very expensive for ski hire.
snow report
chrish,

The hotel is centrally placed in Hinterglemm, right next to the Reiterkogel gondola. I think it is a 3 star so might be a bit basic compared to some of the other hotels, but not stayed their myself and don't know the usual clientele. I think it is exclusive to Inghams. Plenty of other rental shops around (eg Snow and Fun, and Gumpold) so you might want to look on line at their prices.
snow conditions
Thanks Big Dave much appreciated.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Hotel Pinzgauerhof. Any views on it location

Bang in the middle of the village, as Big Dave, says, next to the Reiterkogel lift. Almost ski-in/ski-out really. There's a Snow & Fun rental shop next door. The best rental deals seem to be at Hervis, which is 5 minutes away on the main street. You can check out all the shops online (S&F, Hervis, Gumpold, Rabbit Sports) to see if they are better than Inghams. I'm pretty sure that Hotel Pinzgauerhof is exclusively Inghams clients. If arriving early, buy your lift pass from the ticket office rather than the rep and you can ski from 15.00 on Saturday (for a pass starting on Sunday).

Beware the Goasstall - on the run back to your hotel about 2 minutes from the bottom Cool
snow report
Thanks done my research think I would get thrown out of the Goasstall on the grounds of age. Think I will use Hervis seem to be cheap than the others.
latest report
A light dusting of snow overnight and early morning , forecast is for the warm weather to continue next week with some snow forecast as well. Piste conditions still good and resort getting busy with the onset of the various half term holidays , not been too bad this week but I guess from Sunday for the next few weeks it will be getting busy on the slopes again.
latest report
Busy day today on the slopes from early morning lifts , snow is still holding up well on the north facing slopes but another warm day here and at the moment raining at village level but hopefully should have snow fresh snow on the upper slopes.
latest report
Fingers crossed for some snow over the weekend, looks like a decent amount is forecast over the weekend.

Hope it cools down a bit.
snow report
Can't believe how warm it is, lack of snow is one thing, but temp is seriously threatening the skiing for my march visit
snow report
Looking at possibility of a mid-March trip to Hinterglemm. I realise that natural snow has been limited this year but the snow cannons have been of great help in keeping the whole area open. Just wondering if those with experience of the area would be willing to offer a view of whether it was likely to be OK this March.

Thanks in anticipation.
snow report
Our six guests, who have been here during the last week - all pretty good skiers and first time visitors to Saalbach - feel that overall they've had a good week, and they're keen to come again. The piste skiing has been reasonable this week - some days better than others, but at least it's been fine and sunny (which I know is part of the problem), and most of the area is skiable.
The difficulty with making predictions about March is that it can all change so quickly. Last year we were still getting regular top-ups of snow and cool temperatures into early April. Although this seems unlikely this year, based on the season so far, who can say what the temperatures will be like later in February and in March, and whether there will be a belated snow bonanza? Frustratingly, there have been big snowfalls in the south of Austria and in Slovenia. However I suppose it's fair to say that if the fine, dry weather continues throughout the season, the base is likely to wearing thin by mid-March. Big Dave, I would be inclined to wait and see - hope for the best but prepare for the worst!
ski holidays
P.S I note that saalbach.com is forecasting cold temperatures and a dump of snow in 5 day's time. I haven't checked elsewhere.
ski holidays
Had a dusting of snow village level this morning and about 10-15 cm on the hill , nice to ski fresh snow for a few runs this morning after a few weeks of no fresh stuff . At the moment the forecasts are all over the place but I get the general impression that we should be getting little top ups of snow this week with temperatures colder than of late , but the general feeling is the next two weeks are going to be like the past few weeks, warmer than it should be for the time of the year. As for March, well last season was great but generally over my seasons here its ski first lifts and knock it in the head after lunch as it can get very heavy and slushy on the south facing slopes , who knows what it will be like this season ? I would generally wait and see what the slope conditions are like once the hoards of half termers have gone home as all that scraping and sliding also takes its toll on the piste's as well as the temperatures.

I would play the waiting game if you do not need to book up right now.
snow report
As long as there's enough for us in two week's time.

TWO WEEKS!!

*excited*

snowHead
ski holidays
HoneyBunny, 2 days!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy