Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR : HokkaidOH! 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
DAY 31 : SATURDAY 28 DECEMBER 2013

25 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 423 cm (167") has fallen at MQ in Higashiyama

The high winds overnight packed in the snow up high, making the off-piste tricky to say the least.

But lower down the mountain the new snow was dry and light.

I skied with Ian early on before he headed to the airport, and then with Greg and Chris and found some great stashes of non-wind affected powder near the Hirafu gondola

Chris

Ian ready to drop in

Ian in the groove

DAY 32 : SUNDAY 29 DECEMBER 2013

12 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day 1 for the Lovelock family - Neil, Ria, Alex and Hayden.

The wind was up again today closing the top lifts which forced everyone down the mountain.

But we started the day at Hanazono and had a couple of hours before the mob descended from Hirafu.

It snowed most of the day, with great groomers and boot top powder early on, and knee deep at days end.

The queues at the Hanazono 1 chair were long for here, but 10 minutes long at the worst.

There were a few grumblings in the lift line, but spare a thought for those skiing the Chamonix valley in France today.

This was the line up at Les Grands-Montets.

There were less people in the retreat from Stalingrad.

Tom Wilson North pic

No thank you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
No thank you.

I thought it was busy in Les Arcs today but nothing like that! Let's see some queue shots from Hokkaido Toofy Grin

Great pictures as usual.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks.

Longest queue yesterday was from the guy in the white helmet to the telegraph pole in the picture above.

4 in each row
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DAY 33 : MONDAY 30 DECEMBER 2013

24 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day 2 for the Lovelock family - Neil, Ria, Alex and Hayden.

We had intended skiing Niseko Annupuri today, but high winds across the Niseko Ski Area made for a delayed opening of the Annupuri quad chair and the gondola being offline all day.

So instead of sitting in the Nook waiting for things to happen Ian MacKenzie drove us over to Rusutsu where there was less wind and plenty of new snow.

There was a 10-15 minute queue at the East Mt gondola base station at the start of the morning, which turned out to be the lift operator not filling each gondola car.

It didn't help that all snowboards and fat skis had to be taken inside the car because the racks are too narrow.

But once on Isola Mt., the only other queues we saw the rest of the day were in the Steamboat restaurant.

After warming up on the groomed runs, we spent the rest of our day skiing the trees and powder off Heavenly Ridge.

Neil

Ria working on her balance and relaxation in the powder and the trees

and then when the snow let her in she accepted

Alex getting deep

Hayden spent most of his last visit to Hokkaido riding the tails of his 178 cm Line Blend skis (132-100-122) and skimming across the surface of the snow.

This visit he's on the 175 cm Idris Chamois skis (120-88-112) and has been working hard on staying centred on his skis through the full curve of the turn.

He nailed it this afternoon.

It snowed most of the day, and with plenty of untracked snow at day's end a return tomorrow is on the cards.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DAY 34 : TUESDAY 31 DECEMBER 2013

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

December saw 336 cm (132") of snowfall at village level, making it the 4th highest December total in the 8 winters I've been keeping records.

The snowiest December was 2011 with 514 cm (202").

Day 3 for the Lovelock family and we went back to Rusutsu for more powder, but this time with sunshine and no queues.

Ian and the Lovelocks (l-r, Neil, Hayden, Alex, Ria)

The frosted forest below the East Mt gondola

The powder was light, with boot top to knee deep feathers all over the mountain.

Alex

Neil

After lunch we hit a great spot off Heavenly Ridge. It was a little wind affected but the views of Lake Toya and the ocean were magnificent.

Ria

Neil

Alex

DAY 35 : WEDNESDAY 01 JANUARY 2014

16 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2013 went out like a lamb and 2014 came in like a Lion.

Day 4 for the Lovelock family and with the forecasted high winds not hitting the Niseko Resort Area we headed to Annupuri.

We spent the first couple of hours skiing deserted pistes with 5-10 cm of hero snow on top working on more fluidity and continuous movement through the turn, before heading to the bumps and then the trees.

It was snowing the whole time and by the time we got to the trees the snow was knee deep.

Unfortunately we only got two tree runs in before thunder, lightning, high winds and driving snow closed all the lifts at Annupuri.

We waited until 11.30 to see if there would be any change, and when there wasn't we headed to the buffet lunch.

Still nothing running after lunch so we pulled the pin.

It's been blowing and snowing all afternoon, so fingers crossed the wind will die down tomorrow and the new snow won't be too wind affected.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
UPDATE : TUESDAY 31 DECEMBER 2013

The Lovelocks and Ian enjoying the Rusutsu powder

http://youtube.com/v/EhJFaQLhc7k
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DAY 36 : THURSDAY 02 JANUARY 2014

22 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 502 cm (198") has fallen at MQ in Higashiyama

Day 5 for the Lovelock family and we headed back to Hanazono.

The wind was still howling and there were intermittent snow squalls throughout the day but they kept the Hanazono #1 Quad spinning all day.

Legend of Shinya, Blueberry Fields and The Cuts offered up boot top to knee deep turns all day with all getting better by the run.

And we even got 5 minutes of sunshine early on.

Ria skiing the trees off the terrain park

Alex

Hayden

Neil

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DAY 37 : FRIDAY 03 JANUARY 2014

21 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The winds calmed overnight and there was a good covering of superlight powder on the Grand Hirafu slopes this morning.

The Lovelock family were having a rest day so Ian and I spent the first two hours skiing Konayuki and Tetse's.

After coffee I skied with Greg Heptonstall.

The wind increased and it got a little warmer which made for denser powder but we still found plenty of untracked goodness in Tetse's and Waterfall.

Gate 9 was still closed but we traversed in to Waterfall from the Holiday piste.

Greg in Waterfall

DAY 38 : SATURDAY 04 JANUARY 2014

20 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day 6 for the Lovelock family and we were joined by their friend Craig who flew in from Sydney last night.

On the menu for Hayden's 16th birthday was boot top to knee deep powder and sunshine at Moiwa.

I picked up my season pass yesterday afternoon, a steal at JPY 30,400 for the early season price - JPY 38,000 otherwise. Still a steal.

We spent the morning lapping the B double chair skiing the pistes and the trees and open stashes between them.

And after lunch we lapped the A quad and skied powder, packed powder, and light crud all afternoon.

When we left the heavens opened and it was nuking big fat flakes.

We may have to go back tomorrow Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DAY 39 : SUNDAY 05 JANUARY 2014

28 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Today at Moiwa will go down as one of my best days skiing.

Ridiculously deep snow and very gratifying to see 6 of my students enjoying themselves so much and skiing so well.

The collective energy of the group encouraging and complimenting each other was wonderful to witness and be part of.

We skied the runs and the trees off the double chair 'B'in the morning, and after a relaxed lunch we skied the trees off Shirakaba Slope and Giant Run.

It was well tracked - well trenched would be a better description - but there were more than enough clean lines and diamonds to play in.

And the sun came out too

Alex

Ria

Hayden

Craig

Neil

Ian

And Ian sums up the day for everyone

DAY 40 : MONDAY 06 JANUARY 2014

47 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 618 cm (243") has fallen at MQ in Higashiyama

We were all pretty wiped after yesterday's pow fest, so we headed to Rusutsu for a cruisey day.

Not as much snow as in the Niseko Resort Area, but the pisted runs had a 3-5 cm layer of 'hero snow' sitting on top of perfectly groomed slopes.

We spent the morning working on our turns and the afternoon playing in the trees.

Telegraph Road was particularly good with boot top to knee deep powder top to bottom.

It was noticeably colder today with temperatures set to plumment to -20 C by the end of the week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DAY 41 : TUESDAY 07 JANUARY 2014

9 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day off snow today.

Alex injured her wrist yesterday so it was a morning at the hospital to see if anything was broken.

Thankfully not.

She'll be back on skis the day after tomorrow.

It's snowed most of the day but hasn't accumulated to much.

Noticably cooler today, getting down to the temperatures we experiened last year.

Light snow forecast overnight, but with the cooler temperatures the snow is staying in great shape.

UPDATE : SUNDAY 05 JANUARY 2014

The Lovelocks, Craig and Ian enjoying the Moiwa powder

Moiwa Part One

http://youtube.com/v/uvmyPGFUqsY
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DAY 42 : WEDNESDAY 08 JANUARY 2014

6 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

It warmed up considerably overnight to leave a dry, calm day at Hirafu and Hanazono with the Lovelocks, Neil and Ian.

We started our day at the Hirafu Gondola and after a couple of laps on Ni Kabe made our way over to the Hanazono 3 chairlift and the Yotei Sunset run.

We worked on letting the skis run on the steeper slopes and bringing that acceleration under control with soft, quick steering to mimic the rhythms and tempo we'd need to achieve once we got into the spongy, fast boot top to knee deep powder.

The Legend of Shinya, Blueberry Fields, the old lift line, and Konayuki were great and the pick of the day was Ten Turns to Silver Dream to The Cuts.

With the peak gates open Hirafu and Hanazono were very quiet.

Temperatures are set to plummet and snow is forecast for the next 6 days.

Neil and Craig in the Moiwa powder

Moiwa Part Two

http://youtube.com/v/lZBxr7OQDkc
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That just looks like amazing snow.....got to get there somehow next year...... Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

The Lovelocks, Craig and Ian enjoying the Moiwa powder.

May contain sunshine!

Moiwa Part Three

http://youtube.com/v/wyGtsml7-6w
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAY 43 : THURSDAY 09 JANUARY 2014

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

We were back to the full complement of Lovelocks today at Annupuri, with Alex back on skis.

Just 2 cm of new snow at MQ when I measured at 6.30 this morning, but at 7.30 the heavens opened and by the time we were heading up on the first chair at 8.40 there was 10-15 cm of dry powder on the piste.

We spent the morning lapping the quad, progressively moving from the piste to the trees.

Surprisingly deep turns were to be had

Skiing Powder in the Trees at Niseko Annupuri

http://youtube.com/v/LjufgWRLvkc

Craig

Hayden

Alex

Neil

After lunch we explored the terrain underneath the gondola - disappointing to see so many traverse lines - and then took the gondola and chair to the top of Annupuri.

Blowing a gale and bitterly cold up high.

Craig, Hayden, Neil and I had a great run down to the Hirafu Gondola, with the Old Lift Line giving the best turns.

12 cm had fallen during the day at MQ, with another 12 cm falling since I shovelled.

Tomorrow could be rather special.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DAY 44 : FRIDAY 10 JANUARY 2014

23 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Neil, Alex, Hayden & I spent the day at Moiwa.

A very cold day.

We did a load of laps on the 'B' double chair before the quad chair opened.

The wind had smoothed out the new snow to a creamy texture. It was fast and floaty though.

Skiing Powder on the piste and in the trees at Moiwa

http://youtube.com/v/Lf0pDFkH9Y0

The wind was howling and we only managed 1 run in the Shirikaba bowl before they stopped the quad for the day.

But that one run was worth the price of admission on its own.
latest report
DAY 45 : SATURDAY 11 JANUARY 2014

36 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

With the quad at Moiwa only open for one cycle yesterday, Craig, Hayden & I got there bright and early today in the hope that the wind wouldn't play havoc again.

Unfortunately the wind didn't cooperate closing the quad all day and the 'B' double chair was only open for an hour.

We had 3 great runs off the 'B' chair and then spent the rest of the morning on the 'C' chair playing in the woods.

Hayden

Craig

Hayden

Hayden up & down in 1

http://youtube.com/v/rjlq-fRNgD8
snow report
DAY 46 : SUNDAY 12 JANUARY 2014

27 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 721 cm (284") has fallen at MQ in Higashiyama

For the Lovelock family and Craig's last day in and around the Niseko Resort Area we chose to drive over to Rusutsu to escape the weekend and Bank Holiday crowds.

I'd had great reports from a mate that the powder was excellent yesterday, but the snow exceeded our wildest expectations.

You needed pitch to get through the volumes of snow and thankfully Rusutsu has long 30ish degree pitches in abundance.

We spent the morning skiing East Mt with great turns to be had dropping back to the Steamboat chair.

After lunch at the Gondola restaurant - better choice, more space than the Steamboat cafe - we found the best snow of the day over on Heavenly Ridge

Craig

Hayden

Alex

Ria

Neil

Ian

Ria, Alex, Hayden and Ian headed back over to the East Mtn gondola base just before 3pm and Neil, Craig & I continued to find plenty of untracked snow right up to our finish at 4pm

Day of the Season. So far!
snow conditions
I've finally caught up on the vids. Nice music choices on the music Mike Pow.

Was Bob Marley's "Jamming" actually playing the day you shot Moiwa Part Two? When I've skied Moiwa they've tended to cycle through James Brown, Bob Marley, and Dean Martin on the PA system.

It always added to the serene eeriness of the place for me but I'll not complain. I love it...

Laughing
latest report
Cheers Ordinary Skiier.

Full on jazz funk the day we were there.
snow report
DAY 47 : MONDAY 13 JANUARY 2014

33 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The tap has been turned on and it's overflowing.

Non-stop snow for the past 23 days dropping 429 cm (169") of powder.

Today was moving day for the Lovelocks and Craig. From J-Sekka in Hirafu to the Mountain Hotel at Kiroro.

After settling them in, Ian and I took a quick recon of the mountain to check out the conditions.

The upper mountain is in great shape with full coverage and all lines good to go.

Lower down there's still a bunch of alder brush making the runs out a little tight.

Patrol has extended the rope line on Nagamine and at the top of the gondola and is cracking down on people ducking the ropes.

But 'Hangman' was wide open.

Ian in 'Hangman'

The track out was well set and smooth, but with the lower snow depths if you don't make the turn you'll be in the river.

Snowing heavily as I left at 5pm, and snow forecast for the next 6 days.

It's going to be a good week at Kiroro.
snow conditions
Great thread! Heading out in a month and cannot wait.
latest report
I don't think I can begin to explain how jealous I am! Looks fantastic at the moment. Great reports Mike Smile
snow conditions
Sensational stuff Mike!

Anyone travelled on ANA and know whether they take Snowpulse bags and if skis are included in the 20kg limit or in addition to?
snow report
Have a look at http://360niseko.com/blog/ for some good local info and stats.

We have had approximately 350cm in January alone, with ~750cm so far this season. According to 360 Niseko, the last two Januarys have had:

2012 – 419cm
2013 – 464cm

So this January could be pretty special snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
My pleasure tom_mar, Chrissyg, and BobinCH.
ski holidays
UPDATE : SUNDAY 12 JANUARY 2014

The Lovelocks, Craig & Ian getting into the Rusutsu powder

http://youtube.com/v/3SP0lRb-sGY

Yours truly getting in on the act

http://youtube.com/v/kH44gW6gbu0

DAY 48 : TUESDAY 14 JANUARY 2014

44 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

First day at Kiroro for the Lovelocks and Craig this winter.

Kiroro hadn't received the 24 hr snowfall that the Niseko Resort Area had experienced, but with 10 cm of fresh snow overnight and the mountain virtually empty there was no competition for untracked snow.

We went through the gears warming up on the immaculately groomed pistes and then into the boot to knee deep powder in the Nagamine area.

Runs that had previously challenged them were skied with confidence and fluidity.

We had a late lunch, during which 10-15 cm of featherlight snow fell all over the mountain.

I headed out solo for the last 90 minutes to find some new routes off the groomed areas and was rewarded with 4pm face shots

http://youtube.com/v/iy2YteWmhYE

We had dinner at the Mountain Hotel buffet and watched the snow coming down steadily.
latest report
Great stuff Mike, the only thread in town. That's it, back to Japan for 2015.
snow conditions
Thanks.

You know it makes sense Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All booked and heading out in under a month... Starting to get very excited. First time in 10 years with a mate who's never been. Should make for a good week!
ski holidays
DAY 49 : WEDNESDAY 15 JANUARY 2014

16 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 814 cm (320") has fallen at MQ in Higashiyama

Day two at Kiroro for the Lovelocks and Craig.

We started the day with blue skies and 15-20 cm of new snow all over the mountain.

Part One - Sunny Kiroro Morning

http://youtube.com/v/Src66zY5i_U

Then it started snowing heavily and it was powder all round.

Part Two - Powder Zone

http://youtube.com/v/eFRZFUB32C4
snow conditions
DAY 50 : THURSDAY 16 JANUARY 2014

25 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day three at Kiroro for the Lovelocks and Craig.

Blue skies and 15-20 cm of new snow all over the mountain for the second morning in a row.

Warming up on the 'Yoichi Course 1-B' green run

Bluebird Kiroro Powder Part One

http://youtube.com/v/u7FkMRWlKxc

Bluebird Kiroro Powder Part Two

http://youtube.com/v/d-6w5rczNdk

Bluebird Kiroro Powder Part Three

http://youtube.com/v/uZdDMUrDe3o

Then the clouds rolled in

Craig

Hayden

Alex

Ria

Neil

Ian

And we finished the day with 'Magic Hour' Powder

Craig

Alex

Hayden

Ria

Neil

Ian

snow report
Kiroro was riDONKulous today. Especially beyond the ropes (which they don't seem to mind you ducking). First day on my Down Skis Countdown 1s too (even filthier than my most depraved dream).

I've never known snow like it. Slarve a huge turn and enjoy a 5 second face shot. As you pull out into the next turn, get enveloped in a wave of snow FROM BEHIND that you disturbed 50 metres further back up the mountain. Just nuts.

Also just had a beer with Chris Bentchetler. Yeah I'm namedropping, but a really nice guy.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Kiroro was riDONKulous today. Especially beyond the ropes (which they don't seem to mind you ducking). First day on my Down Skis Countdown 1s too (even filthier than my most depraved dream).

I've never known snow like it. Slarve a huge turn and enjoy a 5 second face shot. As you pull out into the next turn, get enveloped in a wave of snow FROM BEHIND that you disturbed 50 metres further back up the mountain. Just nuts.

Also just had a beer with Chris Bentchetler. Yeah I'm namedropping, but a really nice guy.

Yes it was rather tasty today.

And tomorrow will be even better Smile

More people ducking the ropes this year since they extended the lines. Won't be long before they clamp down and start pulling passes. Next season is the word on the street.

What were you were wearing clarky999?

Was Bentchetler in a crew of about 7?
snow report
Mike Pow,
Quote:

What were you were wearing clarky999?

Seems like an irrelevant question, given the snow conditions! wink
ski holidays
DAY 51 : FRIDAY 17 JANUARY 2014

14 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day four at Kiroro for the Lovelocks and Craig.

It was DEEP

http://youtube.com/v/z0yhDvPoAUE
ski holidays
Urrgh, so jealous. As soon as the little one is big enough to cope with all that travel I'm coming back.
ski holidays
UPDATE : FRIDAY 17 JANUARY 2014

Last season I was lucky enough to catch two big Fridays, and Friday 17 January 2014 at Kiroro Snow World can be added to that growing list.

I got a little bit excited on the first run in 'Powder Zone', that's why I put it in in real time Smile

Face Shot Friday Part Three

http://youtube.com/v/PbRlrzm2LMM

Here are parts one and two from last winter,

Face Shot Friday Part One
Niseko Grand Hirafu
07 December 2013

http://youtube.com/v/il2T4yaGHTY

Face Shot Friday Part Deux
Kiroro Snow World with Ian MacKenzie
22 February 2013

http://youtube.com/v/gF2WcsaICFQ

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 22-01-14 23:24; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Mike Pow, Blue salopettes, yellow jacket and green helmet. Skiing with two Polish guys, one in a bright yellow one piece.

It would be a real shame if they got more strict about ducking ropes, because IMO they are there for no reason at all! I don' duck ropes in Europe as they do it for a reason, usually avalanche danger. We didn't ski anything at Kiroro that I consider avalanche terrain, and the hazards were just the same trees and deep snow as everywhere else on the hill. The signs say don't go off-piste as outside the resort boundaries piste patrol aren't allowed to rescue, so you have to get the real mountain rescue which will be charged to the individual. Which is totally fine and reasonable, why not leave it at that rather than (trying to) forbid it? Guess it keeps the hordes of Australians out though wink

Yeah Bentchetler was with the whole Nimbus crew (and their kids!) at the Lodge. Nice, humble guy and totally happy to speak about where they were skiing and how his new skis were etc.
ski holidays
Mike Pow, Blue salopettes, yellow jacket and green helmet. Skiing with two Polish guys, one in a bright yellow one piece.

It would be a real shame if they got more strict about ducking ropes, because IMO they are there for no reason at all! I don' duck ropes in Europe as they do it for a reason, usually avalanche danger. We didn't ski anything at Kiroro that I consider avalanche terrain, and the hazards were just the same trees and deep snow as everywhere else on the hill. The signs say don't go off-piste as outside the resort boundaries piste patrol aren't allowed to rescue, so you have to get the real mountain rescue which will be charged to the individual. Which is totally fine and reasonable, why not leave it at that rather than (trying to) forbid it? Guess it keeps the hordes of Australians out though wink

Yeah Bentchetler was with the whole Nimbus crew (and their kids!) at the Lodge. Nice, humble guy and totally happy to speak about where they were skiing and how his new skis were etc.

And Moiwa was DEEEP and untracked all day yesterday! First day of the PowerTrip and I was put in a group with 4 Swiss ex-World Cup racers.... Really great day but legs are feeling it! Skipping lunch for more pow didn't help...
snow report

And Moiwa was DEEEP and untracked all day yesterday! First day of the PowerTrip and I was put in a group with 4 Swiss ex-World Cup racers.... Really great day but legs are feeling it! Skipping lunch for more pow didn't help...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy