Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR : HokkaidOH! 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
davidhammy wrote:
I love looking at other peoples holiday/ski photo's, have you any of either your or a close family member's wedding? That would give me something to do at lunch time.

Cheers

Sorry no.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kiroro has to be the next big thing (unfortunately). Particularly with the direct bus from Hirafu. Still, can't wait 6 more weeks.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I rate Kiroro highly , but it's not for everyone.

It has a wide variety of uncrowded pistes with excellent grooming, and whilst it has more snowfall than the Niseko Resort Area the off-piste areas are heavily treed.

There are fewer wide open slopes than Niseko United and Moiwa.

As long as you go there knowing what type of terrain is available you'll have a ball.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DAY 13 : TUESDAY 10 DECEMBER 2013

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Actually it was more like -20 cm at MQ with overnight rain washing away what little base there is at my place.

Still it keeps the shovelling down.

It rained all day.

Miserable.

DAY 14 : WEDNESDAY 11 DECEMBER 2013

The rain turned to snow just before dawn and whilst it came down healthily for a little while, once the sun came out what had fallen at village level quickly melted away.

It's much cooler this evening, with a clear sunset.

It could be icy out there first thing tomorrow if we don't get any snow overnight.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was already pretty icy for my walk back home. Had to watch my step a few times.

But, on the bright side, the clear weather did make for some great picturing:

Spoiler
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nature can be such a b$stard at times Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DAY 15 : THURSDAY 12 DECEMBER 2013

4 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

I woke to a decent covering around the house and on the roads, with the snow set in for the day.

Met up with Greg Heptonstall at 10 am and spent the morning in Hirafu helping Greg to get his ski legs for the season.

Continuing the theme from Kiroro a couple of days ago, this is the trail map at the top of the Hirafu Gondola.

Normally by mid-season you can't ski under the sign.

After Tuesday's rain and last night's freeze I wasn't expecting much out of today but I was very pleasantly surprised with today's conditions.

Minimal crunch underneath rapidly accumulating powder.

We skied down to Hanazono 308 for a coffee at 2pm through knee deep untracked powder.

At 308 we bumped into my new neighbour, Crested Butte, Colorado local Susan Mol.

Susan's over for the winter snowboard and ski bumming, and today she was on her skis.

Turns out the very unassuming Susan was 2009 Freeride World Tour Women's Snowboard Champion

Susan Mol in The North Face Masters of Snowboarding from Mountain Sports International
http://vimeo.com/4533751

Came home at 5pm to 12 cm of dry, light powder on the deck and it's been coming down at a steady 1cm/hr since.

Hirafu and Hanazono should be great tomorrow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow wrote:
Hirafu and Hanazono should be great tomorrow.

That's what I'm hoping. I've got a day off so will be exploring the slopes of Hirafu, rather than the bars which has been the past few night's duties...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bah humbug. Currently stuck in Nagoya airport waiting for my transfer, which looks in all likelihood to cancelled due to hooligan like weather in Sapporo. Must be well dumping up there...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah it's been pretty wild, heavy snow and strong winds. Hope your flight makes it up here!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hope you get in Ordinary Skiier.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DAY 16 : FRIDAY 13 DECEMBER 2013

25 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 220 cm (87") has fallen at MQ in Higashiyama

Skied Hirafu and Hanazono with Ian for the first part of the morning and he was really getting a handle on his balance points in deeper snow on his new centre mounted twin tip skis.

It was knee deep with the occasional mid-thigh deep patch of creamy powder. The wind had got at it a little over night.

Great turns to be had.

By 10 am the visibility had gone and the wind had started to pick up.

The grooming in Hirafu and Hanazono was of a poor standard today and with the flat light conditions I was suprised there weren't bodies everywhere.

Met up with Greg at 11am and he and I skied through to day's end.

Got home at 4pm and spent 90 minutes shovelling the wind blown snow around the house.

First big storm of the season.

12 cm has fallen during the day and it's raging out there at the moment.

Some flights into Chitose have been cancelled due to the wind.

Tomorrow could be epic or it could be a windblown suffer fest.

Time will tell.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wind and snow have been pretty interesting for the past few days. Not too bad though - still got out to the bar. Priorities and all that.

Mixed day today, mostly snowy with some gusts but every now and then the clouds parted:
Spoiler

I will confess to a sneaky bit of editing on the above image, plus it being taken through a pair of goggles.

Night skiing also started today in Niseko Village, nice way to download from the stresses of teaching 6yr olds all day!
Spoiler
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Early days yet thedrewski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DAY 17 : SATURDAY 14 DECEMBER 2013

34 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Spent over an hour clearing the snow from around my cabin this morning and it was worth every second.

Met up with Greg Hep and we lapped the Hirafu Gondola for most of the morning before heading over to Hanazono for a coffee and a red bean (adzuki) croissant.

Got these shots in Hanazono when the snow stopped for 10 minutes and the sun came out, but this was representative of our day from start to finish.

Greg at day's end under the lights of the season's first 'Nighta' night ski.

Fabulous Niseko powder day with more on the way.

25cm has fallen throughout the day with the promise of more overnight.

Refresh & reset.
latest report
Despite being in Hirafu for nearly 36hrs, I still haven't skied due to a persistent ankle injury, but luckily my hotel room has its own private onsen overlooking the Family run.

Today I was forced to watch my missus ski from afar as I soaked my outer self in hot spring water, and my inner self with Japanese craft ale.

All in all it was a damn fine day!

Very Happy
snow conditions
Not skiing at the moment due to a broken hand, but we spent the weekend at Lake Toya. Lots of snow around Rusutsu on the way back, and tons up here in central Hokkaido.

Incidentally Mike Pow, had lunch today at Maccarina having seen it in your reports last year. Great meal!
latest report
Great to hear you enjoyed Maccarina.
snow report
Ordinary_Skiier wrote:
Despite being in Hirafu for nearly 36hrs, I still haven't skied due to a persistent ankle injury, but luckily my hotel room has its own private onsen overlooking the Family run.

Today I was forced to watch my missus ski from afar as I soaked my outer self in hot spring water, and my inner self with Japanese craft ale.

All in all it was a damn fine day!

Very Happy

The power of positive thinking Ordinary Skiier
snow conditions
DAY 18 : SUNDAY 15 DECEMBER 2013

35 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The mountain is transforming before our eyes with the off groomed terrain filling in and the tangle of sasa getting buried deeper and deeper below the snow surface.

After a quiet night where the new snow fell straight down, the wind picked up and closed all the lifts above the Center 4 and Hirafu gondola.

This concentrated the Sunday skiers & boarders to a handful of runs but there was still plenty of untracked to go round.

I think it's safe to say that Ian MacKenzie has worked out the centre mounting on his new Armada Pipe Cleaners.

It hasn't stoppped snowing all day, but in the last hour or so the wind has kicked in with a vengeance.

75 kph winds forecast through until lunchtime tomorrow which could limit lift operation.
latest report
Mike Pow, wow! Somewhat more impressive than the boilerplate in Verbier on Saturday... May just have to pay Hokkaido a visit this season!
snow conditions
looks amazing Mike.....but is that a snowHead sticker atop Greg's helmet, or is admin in for some fun 'intellectual' property litigation?
snow conditions
DoubleBombardino, it's the Smith logo.

Looks great Mike Pow, much better than conditions are here atm!
snow report
Thanks BobinCH, DoubleBombardino and clarky999.
latest report
DAY 19 : MONDAY 16 DECEMBER 2013

28 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 317 cm (125") has fallen at MQ in Higashiyama

High winds overnight combined with a rise in temperature has compacted the snow to a concrete like density at village level.

It took me 2 hrs to clear the snow around my house this morning when it only took 30 minutes yesterday.

But this is exactly what the mountain needs to solidify the base and bury the sasa.

Ian MacKenzie went up for a couple of runs early this morning and said there were still a few patches of dry, light snow where the wind hadn't got at it.

The top lifts were on hold for the second day running due to high winds, so who knows what the upper mountain has in store for us.

It rained a little this afternoon and this evening the sky is clear.

Watch out for the ice.
snow conditions
DAY 20 : TUESDAY 17 DECEMBER 2013

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

A beautiful sunrise in Higashiyama was followed by a fabulous sunny day on the slopes of Grand Hirafu.

I spent the day skiing with Damien and Lyn in from Hong Kong.

We first skied together last April in Kiroro and it was great to ski with them again.

Damien has joined Ian MacKenzie and me on skiing centre mounted twin tips.

And he loves the change.

It was granular snow down low on the Family Run but great packed powder on Center.

Ace #3 Chair

Lyn and Damien getting blasted by the wind and spindrift

Damien

Damien and Lyn

Lyn

Clear and cold this evening with no snow in the forecast.

But we'll take another day of sunshine in December.
latest report
DAY 21 : WEDNESDAY 18 DECEMBER 2013

Wall to wall sunshine and no wind for Damien, Lyn and me at Annupuri today.

Packed powder conditions on well groomed pistes with hardly anyone in resort.

Perfect learning conditions and both Damien and Lyn made big changes today.

The both embraced the acceleration in the fall line and used this time to balance with the mountain and accelerate through the turn.

The 'governer' of pressuring the snow and decelerating at the start of the turn was forgotten and they were floating and flying.

Damien

"Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes"

Lyn

All smiles at day's end with the peak of An'nupuri in the background

snow report
DAY 22 : THURSDAY 19 DECEMBER 2013

Cool and grey with flat light, the perfect day to take off and catch up with laundry and movies.

This is one of my favourites shot on Hokkaido, one of Jordan Manley's 'A Skier's Journey' webisodes

Japan S03 E01

Japan: A Skier's Journey EP1 S3 from Jordan Manley
http://vimeo.com/52021164

http://jordanmanley.com/photographs

DAY 23 : FRIDAY 20 DECEMBER 2013

A little brighter today with good groomed skiing and packed conditions off the ground.

Took a drive to Iwanai to see what the conditions are like over there.

Needs a good couple of storms for it to be on.

Looks like the snow is returning tomorrow evening.

Not before time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAY 24 : SATURDAY 21 DECEMBER 2013

High winds overnight continued through the morning shutting the top lifts and keeping the lower lifts on slow.

The snow is set to return this evening and I leave you with David Pulman's powder prayer from the Snowboard Wales facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/61549463747/

Now I lay down to bed,
I pray The Lord for pow to shred,
and if it's waist deep when I wake,
epic lines I vow to take!!
snow conditions
DAY 25 : SUNDAY 22 DECEMBER 2013

6 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

I've never been as happy to shovel as I was this morning.

The sun was out and the powder was as light as a feather.

The Family Run lift in Hirafu was like a zoo, but it was walk straight on to the Hirafu gondola.

Did two laps of Konayuki - superlight and superfast powder on a hard base - and then met up with Greg Heptonstall and his mate Chris.

We headed over to Hanazono to find some lower angle slopes where you wouldn't feel the crusty base and Legend of Shinya delivered.

Chris

Greg

The sun came out so Greg & I went back in for more

Snowing lightly out there with about 10cm accumulated through the day.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
ski holidays
DAY 26 : MONDAY 23 DECEMBER 2013

12 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Started the day solo at the Hirafu gondola, met Kokodoko from the SnowJapan forum on the ride up, and then bumped into Anything / Andy also from the SnowJapan forum as I was clicking in.

Spent the first 2 hrs of the day skiing Konayuki and the old lift line with Andy getting deeper & deeper turns each run.

The snow was dry, light, and waist deep. And it was still coming down.

Andy in Konayuki (and he's on 185cm Line Mr. Pollard's Opus, 144-118-141)

Andy at the top of the gondola with the perfect bases for Hokkaido

Went in for a coffee break at King Bell and met up with Greg, Chris from yesterday, and Steve an American teaching in Saipan who's staying at the same lodge as Chris.

The five of us then spent the day skiing the rapidly filling in powder of the old lift line, Miharashi, and the gondola run.

Greg

Chris

Greg

Steve

Chris

Andy

Last run of the day it was getting pretty dark in the trees but the boys were on fire

Chris

Steve

Greg

Cracking day with great company. Thanks guys.

It's still snowing.

Tomorrow could be even better.
ski holidays
DAY 27 : TUESDAY 24 DECEMBER 2013

39 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

14 cm of the new snow had fallen through the day yesterday, with the remaining 25cm of dry, powder falling overnight.

Unlike yesterday, it was wall to wall sunshine today. And it was magnificent.

I spent the morning skiing Grand Hirafu with Sally Townsend from Sydney, Australia.

This was her first time on skis in 2 years and she couldn't have picked a better day to get back on the slopes.

Ealy on we skied the Hirafu groomers which had 5-10 cm of new snow sitting on top of a well groomed base.

Sally with Mt Yotei in the background

Skiing the 'Green' course with 'The Peak' looking great in the background

The 'Green' course with Kutchan far below

After coffee we hit the ungroomed 'Shirakaba' course off the Ace Pair Lift #3

After a late lunch I skied with Ian and Sally's husband, professional golfer Aaron Townsend.

Ian caddied for Aaron on the One Asia Golf Tour this past summer.

I don't know if we'd ever be called The Three Wise Men, but on this Christmas Eve Aaron and Ian were following the star

Aaron

Ian

By 3pm the mountain was well tracked, but there were still plenty of diamonds in the rough

Ian

Aaron

Ian

Aaron

Ian

Aaron

Ian

Christmas came early this year Smile
ski holidays
DAY 28 : WEDNESDAY 25 DECEMBER 2013

10 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Season's Greetings from Hokkaido.

Growing up in Wales every girl & boy hoped to wake up to the streets and gardens blanketed with snow on Christmas morning even though they'd most probably be receiving a new football or rugby kit, rollerskates, or if they were lucky a bike.

After watching Franz Klammer win gold in Innsbruck the previous February I hoped to unwrap skis & boots on Christmas Day 1977.

I got a microscope.

And after lunch we listened to "A Child's Christmas in Wales" by Dylan Thomas on the radio.

One Christmas was so much like another, in those years around the sea-town corner now and out of all sound except the distant speaking of the voices I sometimes hear a moment before sleep, that I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve or whether it snowed for twelve days and twelve nights when I was six.

http://youtube.com/v/8HoxycLmMOk

They do things differently on Hokkaido.

"A Child's Christmas in Annupuri"

Today was Shelby Meikle's first day on skis under the watchful eye, and hands, of dad Craig.

"Ready to ski down there?"

Standing tall

Straight running

"OK let's turn to the left"

"More, more"

Wish I'd learned to ski at 2 years of age !
snow report
Great updates Mike Pow. I'm jealous of all that lovely fresh snow snowHead Think I'm going to go to Hokkaido for my next trip. I've done Hakuba and Nozawa Onsen but didn't have much luck with conditions there plus would like to try somewhere different in Japan. What time of year do you recommend for the best conditions?
snow conditions
Thanks Raven.

Statistically January and February are the surest bets for powder.

In the 8 seasons that I've been keeping records in the Niseko Resort Area of Hokkaido,

December gets an average of 350 cm (138") - more than February - but terrain can be limited.

January sees a whopping 482 cm (190"), but is the busiest month. And most expensive accommodation wise.

February sees an average of 288 cm (113") with less people after the Chinese New Year holiday and with all the terrain open.

Although March ONLY averages 172 cm (68") I've had some of my best powder days in this month. The combination of new snow and clear, sunny days is a heady mix and a good introduction to Hokkaido for skiers not used to skiing trees.
snow conditions
Thanks Mike Pow. February looks like it might be a good time for me. I imagine airfares from Australia would also be cheaper as it's after school holidays.

Strangely enough in my previous two visits in Japan I've been there in January, February and March and the only fresh snow I got was a big dump in early March. Just goes to show that statistics can only help you so much when it comes to the weather.
snow report
DAY 29 : THURSDAY 26 DECEMBER 2013

4 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The cloud cover burned off early to leave another sunny December day.

This was the first day of the season when the backcountry gates opened and Glen Claydon was there with his camera.

Check out Glen's pics from 'The Peak' here

http://360niseko.com/blog/all-gates-open/

Keith Rogers dropping the knee (Glen Claydon Photography)

And if you're looking to get professional shots of you skiing or boarding the Hokkaido powder then contact Glen at Powdershots Niseko

http://powdershotsniseko.com/
snow conditions
DAY 30 : FRIDAY 27 DECEMBER 2013

8 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Heavy wet snow fell around 8pm last night and then the surface layer froze under clear skies.

It made for some interesting turns in Konayuki early on with Ian and Aaron.

I spent the day on our very own Idris' Renard skis (175 cm, 116-71-100, r 17m) and Aaron was on the Idris Chamois skis (175 cm, 120-88-112, r 20m)

Beautiful handcrafted skis by Tom Greenall and his wife, Kiyoko Yamaguchi in Chamonix, France.

Tom is a fellow Welshman who's made Chamonix his home since 2001.

I first saw Tom and Kiyoko's skis last winter when longtime student Tracy came up from Tokyo in early December with the Chamois.

They made a massive difference to his skiing last season and I wanted my students and I to have a chance to try them this winter.

The Chamois is their all mountain ski and Aaron was improving all over the mountain in all conditions - piste, crud, bumps, powder. And loving them

The Renard is their carving piste ski. Maybe for Europe!

I've skied both and rate both very highly, but for the type of terrain and quality of snow we have here on Hokkaido and the way in which I like to ski it the Renard is my all mountain ski.

They turn like the Welsh weather, flex and pop through the bumps, and dive deep in the powder.

Superb.

For the full range of Idris skis please visit their web site

http://idriskis.com/

And to top off a great day of skiing, Aaron and I got to ride the Lucky Golden Gondola in Hirafu - the number 50 gondola is painted and upholstered gold to commemorate last season's 50th Anniversary for Grand Hirafu.

snow conditions
18 sleeps to go! The slow barrage of snow is keeping me stoked Smile Is there a good resource for finding out what the conditions in Kiroro/Rusutsu are like? I found that last year Kiroro was getting 30-50cm dumps when Niseko was dry as the Alps.
snow report
I use snow-forecast

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/KiroroSnowWorld/6day/top

There are far fewer people skiing Rusutsu and especially Kiroro compared with Niseko United, so finding powder whether it's snowed or not is typically easier.

In my experience, Niseko United gets more snow than Rusutsu and Kiroro gets more snow than both of them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy