Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bending ze knees

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Until recently I considered myself an advanced-intermediate skier, but recently I started having doubts. Very Happy The very basic question I am asking in this thread explains why.

For the last 5 years of so, have been I skiing for about 2 weeks each year. I have no problems with most black runs in Europe or Japan, and have done some off-piste in Japan. I ski reasonably fast and (usually) with control.

My question relates to the angle at which one should bend the knees. The most basic rule is that we need to have knees forward, shins pressing on the front of the boots. This is what I have been doing. In doing so, I keep the body and weight above my feet, irrespective of whether it is steep or flat.

I understand that the above is quite a standard/non-controvertial. What I recently realised, however, after seeing myself on a 5 sec video recording by a friend on his phone (which he does not longer have), is that I am fairly upright in my stance. Specifically, although my knees are bent, the bent angles (looking at the back of the leg) is about 140-150 degrees.

When I see videos of good skiers (racers / big mountain), they appear to bend they knees much more and sit much lower, almost in a saddle position (i.e. angles of 100-120 degrees). When I try to do the same, I find myself that my weight is distributed to the back and I steer with the tails of my skis.

So, what am I missing here? Is it just an optical illusion resulting from filming angles, the speeds at which those people skis, etc? Any views/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vladiator, It's not about 'bending ze knees' . . . it's all about how good is your suspension.

The softer, stronger and more responsive you are over your skis . . . the better you can apply the skills and techniques you have acquired and will learn. There is a separation betwixt your ability to master your body and learning your sport.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque wrote:
vladiator, It's not about 'bending ze knees' . . . it's all about how good is your suspension.

The softer, stronger and more responsive you are over your skis . . . the better you can apply the skills and techniques you have acquired and will learn. There is a separation betwixt your ability to master your body and learning your sport.

Well, that, and also that people who ski at very high performance tend to have a lower stance, ie bending their knees and other joints more. Also, at times, they let their feet out in front of them, keeping (or trying to keep) your hips over your feet is a guaranteed route to perpetual low performance.

Stance is not a constant, there is no correct way to stand on your skis, only a compromise between being able to use your skis to their full potential and balancing the forces created.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The stock answer these days is that it's not about bending ze kneez but flexing ze anklez. Pro skiers aren't a great role model to copy as a single frame exactly unless you're travelling the speeds they are with the dynamism they exhibit. Get close to a pro and you'll see how they are doing something serene on the surface with lots of very rapid movement going on as they adapt e.g. they can straightline mogul fields that would see most of us explode by the second bump.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vladiator, welcome to snowHeads.

My advice would be to not focus on a particular body shape, but to think about the movements you make. Are they helping you to use your skis effectively? Are your movements in proportion to the forces that are being generated? Are you adapting your movements to changes in the terrain and the snow? Comparing our perceived body position to a snapshot image of other skiers is not going to be too helpful IMO.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:
The stock answer these days is that it's not about bending ze kneez but flexing ze anklez. Pro skiers aren't a great role model to copy as a single frame exactly unless you're travelling the speeds they are with the dynamism they exhibit. Get close to a pro and you'll see how they are doing something serene on the surface with lots of very rapid movement going on as they adapt e.g. they can straightline mogul fields that would see most of us explode by the second bump.

This... you can bend your knees with a straight ankle and you end up sitting back.

Concentrate more on your ankle flex... your knees will automatically follow.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I first started skiing it seemed as though all the instructors ever did was to shout 'Bend ze Knees'. Having watched my children learning I think that there seems to be a lot less focus on knee bending than there used to be. No idea why, maybe we finally got the message!

On a different note, I know for a fact that I always far too upright and stiff when I ski. Not a lot I can do about that, I'm English and over 40. However, I have (on tougher slopes) recently started to adopt what I rather deludedly think of as a 'Killy' pose that is more hunched with gorilla-like outstretched arms. It must look bloody awful, and nothing like my hero, but it does seem to work. Lower centre of gravity, better balance that are offset by howls of derision from my family. Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, pro skiers aren't a great role model!? Then who is?

Yes, flexing the ankles is very important, but a lot of people ski way too upright, if you want performance, a lower more aggressive stance is essential.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimmer, don't confuse race style with best practice for mortals style, the goals are very different! watch your instructors, they are (or should be) trained to ski in control angling/flexing/pushing just the right amount to get them down the hill in the safest and most efficient way.

Also just because a skier is lower doesn't mean his knees etc are bent more, their feet may just be further from their bodies. Racers are usually quite straight in apex of the turn (unless they are ducking under a gate) and when they are changing edges very often they ARE on the tails a bit or at least in the middle of the ski, so unless you are shaving seconds, don't copy that...

I ski lower (and get shouted at for it) mostly because it just lowers your center of gravity and makes getting the balance of the turn a little easier..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dulcamara, I think jimmer is an instructor Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I look just like this Very Happy

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmer wrote:
fatbob, pro skiers aren't a great role model!? Then who is?

Yes, flexing the ankles is very important, but a lot of people ski way too upright, if you want performance, a lower more aggressive stance is essential.

I said as a single frame - try to emulate Ted the Shred's typical position in photos and 99% of us will end up sat on our harrises on the slope.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am being pressured to go skiing right now, so can't reply as much I a would like, even though the weather is abysmal, but check out this article on stance from a friend of mine. http://www.paullorenzclinics.com/#!the-truth-about-stance/c977
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I am being pressured to go skiing right now

Don't you just hate it when that happens Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

I am being pressured to go skiing right now

Don't you just hate it when that happens Mad

Haha, yeah it's tough! In fairness, it was really windy and grey and I wasn't keen, but El Colorado very kindly gave us free passes and we got to scope our competition venue for Friday, as well as get some laps in, so all in all a successful day.
snow report
dulcamara wrote:
jimmer, don't confuse race style with best practice for mortals style, the goals are very different! watch your instructors, they are (or should be) trained to ski in control angling/flexing/pushing just the right amount to get them down the hill in the safest and most efficient way.

Also just because a skier is lower doesn't mean his knees etc are bent more, their feet may just be further from their bodies. Racers are usually quite straight in apex of the turn (unless they are ducking under a gate) and when they are changing edges very often they ARE on the tails a bit or at least in the middle of the ski, so unless you are shaving seconds, don't copy that...

I ski lower (and get shouted at for it) mostly because it just lowers your center of gravity and makes getting the balance of the turn a little easier..

What's mortal got to do with it? Shouldn't people strive to ski like the best in the world?

When you say watch your instructors, I do, the ones that I train for the school I work for, and if they want to pass the highest levels of instructing certification, they are going to develop a lower and more aggressive stance.

Racers do all sorts of things in transition, whatever they have to, but typically they are lower than you would think. Being on the tails isn't (necessarily) a bad thing, it's essential in high level skiing. For example it's literally impossible to absorb a mogul with your hips over your feet, try it and you will eat the next bump.

As for getting low laterally rather than vertically, have a look at the inside leg of anyone getting high edge angles, more often than not it's getting pretty close to their chest, yeah the outside leg is straight, but the inside is very much bent.
snow report
Thanks everyone for your responses!

Yeah, I thought that adaptation to the circumstances / terrain may have been the key. Also, to be honest, the videos of myself which I have seen involved me skiing on reasonably easy relaxing runs - maybe my stance also changes when situations demand it. Since I started analysing my stance, I have sometimes (usually at higher speeds) found myself having my feet a bit more forward from my body (shins were still touching the boots) which allowed me to "sit back" a bit lower on my skis. I still had control, but would then change to having the body over the feet, since I thought it was the correct classical position. Maybe I need to stop thinking about the body position too much, as long as the technical skiing elements are still performed correctly.

One think I wanted to clarify - what do people mean by ankle flex - making sure that it bends forward, therefore ensuring that the shins touch the front of the boots no matter where the rest of the leg is?
ski holidays
jimmer wrote:
I am being pressured to go skiing right now, so can't reply as much I a would like, even though the weather is abysmal, but check out this article on stance from a friend of mine. http://www.paullorenzclinics.com/#!the-truth-about-stance/c977

Thanks for the article - it explains some of the questions I had.
latest report
jimmer, f**k yeah. Just watched your comp run and that was awesome. Bad luck on the last, huge air but the entire thing was great.
latest report
Got a link please?
snow report
It was a stream of the event (Freeride World Qualifier in Chile) so it's not live anymore but I presume the footage will make it onto YouTube. The finals are on tonight at 0000ish at www.powdermag.com but with the fall I don't think jimmer will have made it through.
ski holidays
Just checked the start list and he's the first one to ski tonight. Right before Calum Petit!

http://freerideworldtour.com/tl_files/fwt/upload/FWQ14/Chile/Men's%20Start%20Finals.pdf
snow report
Many thanks
snow conditions
Day 1

http://www.powdermag.com/videos/live-webcast-the-north-face-chilean-freeskiing-championships/
latest report
Nice another Brit, Ally Watson was skiing towards the end as well AFAIK but I fell asleep before he started.
snow conditions
jimmer is on at 3:22:00 btw.
latest report
I don't know why Clare Burns is listed as representing the USA in the women's event, she has been GBR registered in the past.
latest report
meh wrote:
jimmer is on at 3:22:00 btw.

is that 03:22hrs or 15:22hrs ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's 3 hours 22 minutes and 0 seconds into the stream.
snow conditions
a patch of snow then some people eating kebabs.

I assume he was starting around 3.23.55 - pretty good run and the last air showed big cajones.

Nice realistic simulation of freeskiing with the poling and skating at the end.
ski holidays
fatbob, I guess the time code wanders a bit if you chop around in the stream because he was in the gate for me. But everyone loves kebabs so its as good a place as any to start. Wink
snow report
Finals on now BTW
snow report
Great top section with a great recovery on the windlip.

Shame about the last air, but big kudos.
ski holidays
Cheers guys, it was my first comp, so learnt a lot, and had a great time. Everyone who skied out of the cliff I hit had facial bruising from their knees, so I am kind of glad my skis came off!
snow conditions
jimmer wrote:
Cheers guys, it was my first comp, so learnt a lot, and had a great time. Everyone who skied out of the cliff I hit had facial bruising from their knees, so I am kind of glad my skis came off!

Haha. Great run Jim, respect.
ski holidays

Quote:
As for getting low laterally rather than vertically, have a look at the inside leg of anyone getting high edge angles,
more often than not it's getting pretty close to their chest, yeah the outside leg is straight, but the inside is very much bent.

I don't always ski like this but was trying to get high edge angles when Ski testing!
snow conditions
livetoski nice shot! Yeah exactly what I meant. Even in a partially skidded turn flexing the inside leg gives so much more ski performance, can be tricky to keep the edge angles the same though.
snow conditions
jimmer,
Quote:

can be tricky to keep the edge angles the same though.

Yep could say I have a lot of inner tip lead on the turn Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy