Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Yes friet. I'vve definately seen some signs for the night skiing. Think it's on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
friet, as above Marmottes lift stays open until 7:30pm, Tues and Thurs. Marmottes piste is floodlit, others not, which can add to the sense of excitement for the brave / reckless / foolhardy / thoese with head-torches*

Usually stops late Feb, when the evenings get light enough that there is no point.

*delete as applic.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just seen notices posted in 1950 saying that the road between 2000 and Bourg will be closed between 5am and 7am tomorrow (21st) for snow clearance.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Left Arc 2000 @ 2pm today. Horrible drive out. Needed snow chains till below 1800. Best snow we saw all week was on the road between 2000 and 1950. After we got to the bottom it started raining at about 1000m and didn't stop pis*ing down till we hit Reims some 7 hours later. Awful drive, knackered. Hotel for night, tunnel in the morning.

Not sure how low the snow fell in resort but up high it was big and more to fall after we left. Last week was great, next week looks epic. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, I hope it wasnt you that was flashed on the A43 doing 233kmh Shocked wink

http://www.ledauphine.com/

I've enjoyed your reports thanks, & hope Mrs TFC's back recovers soon Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Powder again!! What a winter this is turning out to be!! Twisted Evil Jan 20

Today I woke up to rain falling in the valley and snow from about 1000m. All the links to Arc 2000 bowl were closed and although they said the links to La Plagne were open we decided not to take the risk as the forecast was for the weather to worsen as the day progressed.

Having made it up to the Cachette chair (the Mont Blanc was shut due to high winds again) we headed over to Peisey-Vallandry in very poor vis via Arc 1800 and a nice little off piste route down towards the Vagere Chair. Smile

Once on the far side of Peisey we played around in the forest for all the morning until we headed to the Mont Blanc Bar for some lunch.

After lunch we played around in Vallandry and Arc 1800 forest areas in powder that made every run fresh tracks until the legs started to get tired. Finally we headed back toward Arc 1600 for a quick drink at the Altiport and a few runs down through the Mont Blanc forest and then home.

Although the vis was bad all day, the powder was great and the snow just kept on falling. By the end of the day the pistes had become off piste and when this storm has passed the conditions should be excellent again everywhere. Laughing

Right now it is snowing down to the valley floor and you will need chains/winter tyres to drive up to resort tomorrow if these conditions continue. But the skiing in the coming days is going to be excellent again. Very Happy

Check out the pictures for today in the photo section of the Les Arcs Winter page. Here are just a few to keep you all happy Very Happy

(It's another POWDER day. Playing in the trees above Peisey! Jan 20)

(The light is really going, but the powder is getting deeper! Jan 20)

(Coming down to Arc 1800! Jan 20)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
genepi wrote:
thefatcontroller, I hope it wasnt you that was flashed on the A43 doing 233kmh Shocked wink

750 euro fine will be peanuts when compared to the amount of juice a Rangie will use at 150 mph Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Webcams look amazing this morning. Those flyin out 2day are very lucky bugs. Hope it carries on like this for 2wks time. Razz
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, you were a very wise man to leave yesterday afternoon. I just came back inside having helped dig my friends car out so that he can get ready to drive back to UK today. he is not looking forward to the journey.

The conditions are excellent again this morning. Hope to be back up the mountain later. The pisteurs are reporting 65cm of fresh snow up the mountain and I just measured what is outside and it is about 30cm. Toofy Grin

Look forward to meeting up with some of you later in the week.

(From the Les Arcs Winter page this morning)
THERE IS LOADS of snow outside my window. It must have snowed at least 25 cm at 1000m and maybe even more. UPDATE!! It has stopped snowing outside and the blue sky is trying to break through!! Very Happy

For those driving, the roads are covered in snow right down to the valley and you will need to take great care driving anywhere this morning!! If you are leaving or arriving over the coming days you are advised to have chains/snow tyres or you are likely to be stopped from driving up the mountain. They are reporting difficulties on the road between Bourg and Moutiers currently on the radio.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowcrazy, photos still looking fantastic, even in poop light. Santa was nice enough to deliver a nice sparkley new canon 550d. If I can anything as good as some of the stuff you've posted I'll be well happy.
Back to my question, we are staying in Robs place in 1800, we'll be staying in chambery nord F1 on Friday night so we'll be in resort far too early for acceess. Unfortunately it looks like we may have get in an extra half day, bummer. I've been trying to figure out how to do this through lesarcs.com, I'll be bug gered if I can figure it out, is it possible to do top up a half day?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Webcams look amazing this morning. Those flyin out 2day are very lucky bugs. Hope it carries on like this for 2wks time. Razz
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry. Don't know why posted webcams comment twice. Obviously too excitd
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ricfrench, your best bet may be samedijeskie.com - which is a full day Saturday pass for €21: you print the form off after the Wednesday prior to the date you need it for and then present at the pass office.

hth
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Roll, €21 that's not too bad, with a little luck we'll be able to get mrs ricfrench's and minime's skis early, may actually just book them as we are there half term
Thanks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
genepi wrote:

Just in the door. Wasn't me Laughing Laughing A Discovery downhill potentially could hit 110mph. The drive yesterday was horrendous. made Reims in 7 1/2 hours which was good going. Driving rain the whole way made 70mph ropey at times but glad we got away early.
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
thefatcontroller, interesting - everyone else says avoid! Maybe we'll give it a look tonight.
Seems to be a mother / daughter combo, while dad runs the equivalent in Tignes. Left the name as the Nonna Lisa, which was what replaced Valentinos last year.

I take it all back, think it was the euphoria of arriving in the Alps starving and been given food and Stella dulled my senses. Did a re-visit Thursday night sober and those in the know who told you are right. Awful over priced food that makes a beef eater look tasty. The mother and daughter spend a lot of time drinking and avoiding guests.
snow report
thefatcontroller, Probably a little late now Shock
snow conditions
Some photos and stuff from last week.

Clcik here for view of road out yesterday from Arc 2000
View My Video

and of conditions in Arc 2000

View My Video

Snow making down by Villarogier

Wife just about to do black run on Glacier

Looking down on Arc 2000 from the glacier

Looking down on the valley below from the Vanoise

Peisey and the Vanoise

Last but not least. For those wondering about snow depth, this photo was taken in Arc 2000 outside the Sherpa. Last season you could walk straight out onto the snow and don't forget since this photo they have had at least another foot up there.
snow report
thefatcontroller, nice photos, pleased you made it back home today safe and sound. I heard the same as Arctic Roll, about the place you eat at, am not surprised second time round it was not so good.

ricfrench, the link www.samedijeskie.com which artic gave you is the best deal as he said. But depending on the ages of the group it might also be worth contacting the Lift office by phone as they do have a group discount that is not online.

Jon Ford, If you fancy a beer and chat when you get out send me a PM on here or over on my facebook page.

Today was amazing, report and pics coming a bit later.
latest report
arriving tomorrow with family, anybody fancy a bit off piste ,my wife just likes the piste so available to try a bit off piste cheers /charlie
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:
thefatcontroller, nice photos, pleased you made it back home today safe and sound. I heard the same as Arctic Roll, about the place you eat at, am not surprised second time round it was not so good.

I suppose it proves that Stella Artois kills you and your taste buds wink Laughing

Good to meet, thanks for advice and help on ski instructor. You are right, price of instructor is irrelevant, its the instructor that is relevant. We saved a load and he was brilliant, kids loved him and they improved no end. He did look rather sheepish one evening when they got back and immediately starting telling the wife great tales of how they had been in the trees and hit them and had been ski jumping of buildings. They hadn't learnt what happens in lesson stays in lesson!! Will work on wife for March visit and day out. In the meantime I hope they re-open the funni for you and I hope everyone enjoys their upcoming holiday(s) in Les Arcs and see y'all end of March.

Sadly back to work now.
snow report
Thanks 4offersnowcrazy, will do that. Maybe you could show us some GENTLE off piste. Would love 2get some powder spraying against the camera-goin 2b filming everything with new handsfree cam. Will pm u nearer time. Now less than 2weeks. Gonna b awesome. Shock
snow report
who else is going to be out from the 28th? will be in 1950 for the week..
snow report
sorry forgot to say ill be stopping in 1950
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Pleased to hear the kids enjoyed the lessons, Julien is very good and his English is ok as well which helps. Yes, if they do not want to scare their mother, they must learn to tell her the fun stuff without making it sound crazy. Hope to ski with you guys next time you are out without the kids.

steven0123, I should be back around on Wednesday, pop into George's after skiing at 5pm and I will be able to chat. Must leave by 7.25pm as it is comfirmed that the last Funi is 8pm each evening now except weekends. Really rubbish.

charlie26, send me a PM if you want to do some off piste. Take a look at the pics in my photo section on Les Arcs Winter page. We do easy stuff as well some days so you should have fun if you come along.

Now for todays update!! Very Happy
snow report
Today was another one of those special days!!!

Not blue sky, but the powder was as good as you can get anywhere on this planet of ours. In a word it was AMAZING.

We played around in the Arc 1600 area all day. There really was no need to go anywhere else. After going up late this morning, the whole time was spent off piste and it was so good Mr. Eagle will now be staying another week. He says hi to those he skied with at New Year who read this!

Having spent some time clearing snow in the morning, then giving up and going skiing in waist deep powder, I am a little tired. Tomorrow should be yet another great powder day if the temp stays cold!!

The is not much need to say any more, just take a look at the pictures!!!

I shall post them in the photo section of Les Arcs Winter page shortly. Enjoy!!
latest report
Quick question about 1950. Do they supply towels? Trying not 2pack ours 2save space. Had another question but forgot. Will post when remembr
latest report
snowcrazy, thanks for the post earlier last week. Never got back online until I got home yesterday, so only just read it! We did not have wifi where we were staying and my phone struggled to pick up the signal in Whistlers - too many people there I think. We all had a great week, transfer home was a bit epic for some. I was lucky and got down the mountain on Friday night so caught my flight, but others missed theirs to Birmingham and flew into Manchester then bus, the last I heard.......

For those going soon there is a huge amount of snow, conditions have stayed cold throughout January and the new snow will only make things better. Piste ski ing was excellent, off piste will have been renewed with the new snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jon Ford wrote:
Quick question about 1950. Do they supply towels? Trying not 2pack ours 2save space. Had another question but forgot. Will post when remembr

Yes, towels supplied.
latest report
Thanks ciderchap,
ski holidays
fantastic 2 weeks, not even the bad weather on friday could spoil our fun!! Great to meet snowcrazy in Georges, hope we can ski with you next time, or maybe MTB in the summer!!!
latest report
chrisb, Got home fine last night from Manchester to Birmingham by coach. What a long day! The snow will be epic for those who are out there this week! Friday it never stopped snowing and on Saturday morning they had around 60cm of fresh powder and were blasting with snow cannons to make the roads safe from Arc 2000 down to 1800.
snow conditions
surfski, Glad you got back ok. Graham had sent me a text that you had missed flight. What a fantastic week it was!
ski holidays
Had a really great week, only slight hickup was the trip home on Saturday, up at 3am home at 9pm. I think I will drive next year. But the long trip home was worth it. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Just home today from a fantastic week in Les Arcs.... Four days of sunshine followed by two days of powder. The Saturday being particularly amazing.... I've never skied in anything like it!

Anyone who is out there this week will, no doubt, have an amazing time. It looks like it's a great season. Bring on the next holiday!
snow report
Only one thing to do when you get home from a good week in Les Arcs. Book another. Booked our 1st train trip for end of March. Cheaper than flying and driving and doing overnight each way means we minimise the time granny has to mind the kids and we get 6 days on the slopes. Result. See y'all end of March.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
Only one thing to do when you get home from a good week in Les Arcs. Book another. Booked our 1st train trip for end of March. Cheaper than flying and driving and doing overnight each way means we minimise the time granny has to mind the kids and we get 6 days on the slopes. Result. See y'all end of March.

i'm planning on doing this! if i can get the time off work, might have to be early april though, what are conditions normally like by then?
ski holidays
Awesome pictures Toofy Grin 10 days to go until our lads trip. I can't wait!!
latest report
Russeh wrote:
if i can get the time off work, might have to be early april though, what are conditions normally like by then?
In a typical season they are fine. Good snow depths, less chance of bitterly cold weather, piste domain should be fully open and the off-piste could be either spring skiing or full on winter powder depending on the weather. It's a nice time to go, although check your dates don't overlap with Easter when accommodation prices go up a bit and the resort is busier.
ski holidays
I'm going in early March (for the first time) Very Happy, are there any runs that are a must?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy