Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

do u dislike/hate snowboarders

Poster: A snowHead
sideshow bobbers, did you do the 360 flip before you crashed in to him? Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah, these boarders are simply cluttering the Piste.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sideshow bobbers,

If only more skiers and boarders where as nice after crashes! That is the kind of behaviour people would like to see more of instead of clattering into someone and then proceding to get up laugh and move on or abuse them when you are in the wrong!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles wrote:
Would any sH who gets involved in collisions on a regular basis please post warnings of where and when they are going to the slopes - I want to stay well clear of you.

Val Thorens, around 4 pm anyday, any run heading back to the village. Sad

The first day, I stopped above a trail merge, intending to wait out the mad crowd "at the moment". After a few minutes, it dawned on me the mad crowd was the masses of the entire resort streaming back to their hotel! The crowd was so thick it almost looked like skiing in the forest, except those trees move and can hit your from behind!!!

The scence looked so unreal I should have taken a picture. It would have stopped any non-European from EVER trying to ski in France!

I suspect that's true of many resorts. Late in the afternoon on any runs back to the village. Mind you, I was there during EoSB, one week before closing. I can't even begin to imagine what half term would be like. Shocked

No, I didn't get into any collision thankfully but I saw quite a few close calls around me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc, the solution to that is to go back up the nearest lift - you have come down too early.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc, you should have been having a scoop at the top of the Plein Sud lift with the rest of us wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc, which trail merge was this? Near the toboggan rental place at the bottom of Cascades, or somewhere else?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
abc, the solution to that is to go back up the nearest lift - you have come down too early.

rayscoops wrote:
abc, you should have been having a scoop at the top of the Plein Sud lift with the rest of us wink

I did.

That's why it's "already" 4 pm! Wink (my legs were done 'bout 3...)

Shallimus wrote:
abc, which trail merge was this? Near the toboggan rental place at the bottom of Cascades, or somewhere else?

Yes, bottom of Cascade was one such. But it's the same everywhere below mid-mountain. Sad

Plain Sud was another story. The snow were chopped up and in piles at random places. But at least the "trees" weren't moving mostly (they lay there, after crashing Wink )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc, it was a bit like 'wacky races' when trying to get to the last(ish) Plein Sud lift
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't stop and tie your shoe!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
is there any joy doing that?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sideshow bobbers wrote:
is there any joy doing that?

sideshow bobbers, I don't know if you noticed, but that's a start of a x-c skiing race. Notice the numbered bibs they're wearing...

I don't have the picture to show it. But if anyone watch the start of any "biggy" marathon races, it's MUCH worse than this. The runners have to walk for quite a while before they have room to actually run!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sideshow bobbers, or were you asking about whether x-c was fun?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i was talking about the x-c cause i did notice the bibs thanks wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sideshow bobbers, thought so Very Happy I have no idea is its any fun.. doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Lifts up.. slide down.. minimal effort is the way to go Toofy Grin
ski holidays
sideshow bobbers, I do find it fun. (not the racing part)

It also has that magical "glide" as any other snowsport, only the skier has to provide the "kick" to get the glide part going... Wink
snow report
Charli939 wrote:
Lifts up.. slide down.. minimal effort is the way to go Toofy Grin

I guess, if you like clogged Pistes at 4:00!

This is my take on 'all tracked out':
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, yet again you have me in stitches with the accuracy. Above Mottaret around 17th April, big bunch of I suspect seasonaires: guy gives his snowboard to his mate and sets off waddling away; 'where you going ?'. 'I gotta go take a f'in dump' (top of his voice).

He looked like he already had done. Jerk it off, dude.
snow conditions
Robbof wrote:
"Sitting in the middle of the piste" is not something that just boarders do
Laughing Laughing Laughing Sorry, still laughing, particularly funny as the quoted text you used even included me saying "admittidly skiers stop in inconvenient places too". Now, unless I'm horrifically off with my interpretation of what I wrote, that does not imply that I think that it is something that just boarders do. Confused NehNeh
ski holidays
i think trecking to untouched powder is one thing, i spent a good 20 minutes scaling a cliff and was it worth it, hella yes, even tho i didnt land it but running UP hill is another
so abc, do you not buy lift passes then?
i snowboad for the thrill of going down the hill, it make life much easer aswell
if i wanted to waste my breath climbing up hills then i would go walking with rollerskates on NehNeh
latest report
Quote:

so abc, do you not buy lift passes then?

No.

However, if the tracks are "groomed", someone has to pay for the grooming. There's usually a "trail fee", though generally a small fraction of a typical lift ticket.

On backcountry "routes", a group would usually take turn "breaking trail" so the memebers in the back gets to ski in the tracks set by the front member... No trail fees just sweat, and tranquility.
snow report
Quote:

Jerk it off, dude

Er ... what does that mean exactly, young man?
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Jerk it off, dude

Er ... what does that mean exactly, young man?

Well, DUH...
snow report
jacksonholerider, sorry, that's completely unenlightening.
snow conditions
Well, it's the basis for a certain kind of Jamaican Jerk Chicken.
Subtle culinary and cultural reference, I know.
But now you know.
Y'Know?

mmm Red Stripe...(Jamaica's pilsner swill..)
ski holidays
jacksonholerider, I've eaten plenty of jerk chicken (Jamaican cousins) and I don't recall any of it containing Red Stripe. Now explain what all that has to do with snowboarding habits?
latest report
skisimon wrote:
Robbof wrote:
"Sitting in the middle of the piste" is not something that just boarders do
Laughing Laughing Laughing Sorry, still laughing, particularly funny as the quoted text you used even included me saying "admittidly skiers stop in inconvenient places too". Now, unless I'm horrifically off with my interpretation of what I wrote, that does not imply that I think that it is something that just boarders do. Confused NehNeh

Huh huh - huh huh! Doh, you got me!! Not...

How about this then fella?

"Sitting in the middle of the piste (usually just over the lip) is the big one."

Not something I get the urge to do to be honest..... rolling eyes

Believe me, you see all sorts throughout the season, maybe not as much when you only go away for a week or two but it's easy to generalise if you don't understand something, or have never tried it!?!

These discussions are hilarious !!! Toofy Grin Don't take it personally mate, this topic has been brought up a million times and it's a crack up every time!!
ski holidays
i honestly did not think boarders sat in the middle of the piste any more, except when the have taken a tumble and are having a rest for a few minutes before they get up again. Most I see now are quite thoughtful and sit to the edge of the piste.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
i honestly did not think boarders sat in the middle of the piste any more, except when the have taken a tumble and are having a rest for a few minutes before they get up again. Most I see now are quite thoughtful and sit to the edge of the piste.

Hee hee, unless we are sat in the pub mate! Skullie
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Now explain what all that has to do with snowboarding habits?

Looks like good posture and riding stance, for a roasted chicken at least.
latest report
saxabar, riding stance looks half baked to me wink
ski holidays
That chicken has Moobs Shocked
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, Laughing Laughing And much like anyone else's.. one's bigger than the other...!
latest report
puts a different slant on the choice between 'breast or leg' Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Oh think again! I encountered loads of them this season.
But I think your 'two' scenarios are somewhat related.
I have seen this course of events occur more than once: group of boarders, working their way down a piste; one gets ahead of the others either through bravado or inability to maintin control; goes over a lip, wipes it out of sight of their pals and then hurriedly assumes a 'chilled posture' to make it look like they've just sat down to take in the view. The others catch up and copy-cat to form a nice orderly line blocking the piste, just out of sight of slope users above.
When you fall in the middle of the piste, you don't 'have a few minutes rest' there, you get out of the way. And if you're just over a lip or in another risky place, you get out of the way damn quick!
The most recent time I encountered a boarder-blockade was the penultimate day of the EoSB when I left the Plein Sud lift and took the right-hand route round the lower lift stations: just over the lip at the narrowest point was a row of 4 or 5 boarders, dead central, blocking at least half the piste. Boy did they jump as I only-just-missed them Laughing

For balance though, although skiers don't tend to sit down on the piste a lot, what they're most guilty of is congregating in huge numbers where the piste narrows: members of various groups waiting for their fellows or just having a little chin-wag.
snow report
I think we should all hug and 'JUST LET IT GO'
latest report
Do I dislike/hate snowboarders? In general terms 'No, I don't' we are all on the mountain enjoying the snow. However, there is only oriental chappy on was boarding in VT the week were there that I wouldn't be sorry never to see again.

I was working predictable linked turns down 1/3rd of the width of the wide blue that ran past the snowpark on one of the steeper sections with my new found confidence. Something that I think in all the rule books I am entitled to do. I am told that the boarder lost control and then comprehensively took me out from behind leaving me very lucky not to suffer leg injuries from the edge of his board. The first I knew of it was a set of arms around my waist as he attempted to minimise things by catching me on the way down - I fell on him (serve him right). He did hang around until he was certain I was OK and indicated it was his fault, I don't know if he spoke English, but I think he understood that I wasn't happy although I believe all I told him was to look where he was going in no uncertain terms tone wise (but I don't think I resorted to swearing). I think my ski companion at the time would have decked him had I been hurt though. What I'm most teed off about was being cannoned into just as I was getting used to skiing at long last and feeling happier about it and also since returning I've noticed that the top coat on tails of my new skis is wrecked - I reckon it was this incident that did it - I expected wear and tear, but not this soon Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Megamum, that sounds like what we call 'an accident'. It also sounds like he tried to minimise the damage, and then he apologised. What do you want, blood?
snow report
Sorry Megamum, but from what you describe, I'm with Lizzard on this one - accidents happen.....and I am sure you would have been just as aggrieved if he were a skier, who have on occasion been known to fall over too, sometimes inconveniencing others as a result rolling eyes
ski holidays
people stop on pistes where it suits them, skiers at the top flat bit of pistes and on narrow places because they can simply pole away, boarders stop over the ridge of a piste so they can ride away. For every 'boarders sitting in the middle of the piste encounter' i can recount 10 such similar 'skiers blocking a narrow path' situation

But ........ all of this is just the way it is ..... boarders will stop in the middle of the piste because they can not pole away to the side, and skiers will stop at the top of pistes because they can pole away ........ so simply accept that this happens, stop moaning and get on with it Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy