Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
Why not go to Wengen or Murren instead of Grindelwald. Grindelwald is a fairly uninspiring dark town. To access the gondola you need to be staying at the far end. prepared to walk or take a bus if not The gondola up is not that long but there can be queues at weekends - the skiing is predominantly intermediate unless you take a guide. From Grindelwald you can get to Wengen either by train or gondola and in my opinion the best skiing is there and also in Murren. Have a wonderful time wherever.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
any SnowHeads in Wengen at the mo _ what's the latest! and if it's bad what's the outlook
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andreaharding, why visit Wengen and not a higher resort in the region............like Mürren ??

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 24-03-10 20:31; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Like andreaharding I could also do with a weather/snow condition update as I am thinking of coming out next week. Is there anyone in the Jungfrau area who could do the honours. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It seems to me that next week will be fine, there seems plenty of snow forecast, but a word from the resort would be great. Snow-Forecast.com looks positve as does Metcheck. So...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cover was good when I last skieed last Saturday, but it was all Slush (including pretty much Schilthorn I heard)
Skieed down to Grund too. Sunday it rained all the way to the top.

Shouldn't matter for cover, which will be fine; but how the snow comes out of that is much dependend on piste patrol.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok andreaharding, dont answer the question Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FL increasing to 2200m with rain forecasted for Monday....but dropping soon afterwards Sad Sad...............aim high i would

20% reduction on spring Sportpass prices from Monday, 5 April Springtime skiing in the Jungfrau Winter Region is an experience not to be missed. Sportpass prices will be reduced by 20% from Easter Monday, 5 April 2010 to the end of the season. Make the most of the great piste conditions.

The winter-sport facilities on Schilthorn will remain open until 25 April.

Murren....48cm // Schithorn 188cm
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Brookes - my apologies. it's just that we're booked in at Wengen and we can go to Murren - I know. Maybe I shouldn't have booked Wengen so late in the season. All best a!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andreaharding wrote:
Chris Brookes - my apologies. it's just that we're booked in at Wengen and we can go to Murren - I know. Maybe I shouldn't have booked Wengen so late in the season. All best a!

It will be fine and you will have a great holiday in Wengen

It just interests me why people select W instead of M..........
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you tell me?!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andreaharding wrote:
you tell me?!

i can't..thats the interest
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brooks is correct it is very difficult to explain why people select Wengen rather than Murren.

You will meet people who have been going to Wengen or Murren for many years, they will return to the same hotel every year, it's that sort of place.

From experience with a large ski group Wengen has the benefit of getting to Schiedegg on the train or to Mannlichen on the cable usually all together, we reserve a train when going to Schiedegg.
Not being a skier (or boarder) don't ask I just organise, I am told that Wengen is more connected than Murren - easier to keep the groups skiing rather than on uplifts.
The lifts on the Murren side have been developed in the last year so it should be better.
We have also gone around or over to Grindlewald, First usually closes earlier than Wengen and Murren, in a small group it is not a bad trip and if the snow and weather conditions are good there is a good fun park.

Wherever you go in the region you should have a good time, look at the note above about ski pass prices, if you have not pre-purchased it might be worthwhile buying a single day pass for the Sunday if that is your first day skiing and then a 5 day pass with the 20% discount.
Make sure you ask when buying the pass what the better deal is.

If you want amusement then head to the Eiger bar from after 3 in the afternoon, that is where most of the adults meet for afternoon refreshments, you might be amazed at what is being worn Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last week I guided a large group (12 + me, incl 2 boarders) of snowheads around Murren/Schilthorn. No problems with the uplift at all, or the keep on skiing thing. The new Almiboden lift is a great blessing indeed... now you can easily tour the resort, all be it in 1 direction still (The funicular is just a pain in the bum, still needed to go from Schiltgrat to Winteregg side))

Many of them expressed they were pleased with the way the day went as well... If anything its Wengen were people just don't get it how to use the lift system effectively... (See complaints about slow trains etc etc etc)

It may very well be people are put off by smaller area... There is still this thing where people insist they need 200+ of piste km or they cannot ski for a week... Puzzled

Schilthorn always, always holds the best snow of the Jungfrau... but the Schiltgrat (1600-2100m) and Winteregg (1500-1900m) parts are actually very slightly below the majority of Wengen's slopes (1800-2400, if we dismiss Holenstein entry).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ronald

Good to hear the new lift is helping, I do agree with the remainder of your comments
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:

It just interests me why people select W instead of M..........

I think it's pretty simple to be honest Chris - Wengen probably has 5 times more acommodation than Murren, so more people can go. And of course once they've been, inertia kicks in and they keep going back. I ski in Murren every time I visit the Jungfrau region, but I've never spent a single night there.

Most people can see past the altitude thing these days - years ago skiing in Wengen was a pain after the end of Feb as you could never ski back to the village. Snowmaking and the new cable-car has changed all that - altitude just isn't an issue any more.
latest report
I think it probably is the size of area that sends people to Wengen. Also you have all the ski areas, Männlichen, Kleine Scheidegg, Mürren and First, all within reasonably easy reach. Personally, I tend to stay down in Lauterbrunnen.. you can get to either side of the valley equally quickly. Admittedly, not good for people used to ski-in ski-out.
latest report
Ronald wrote:

It may very well be people are put off by smaller area... There is still this thing where people insist they need 200+ of piste km or they cannot ski for a week... Puzzled

I think that could be one of the main reasons....i don't understand peoples way of thinking to the fact they need 200+ of piste when looking at a ski resort...
ski holidays
to all keen Wengen (not Murren - Chris Brookes) watchers - any news, updates. Rain? snow maybe. very much looking forward to next weekend. Seriously CB. we will go to Murren and may even consider it for next time. Just that as someone above said> the accommodation in Wengen was more straightforward. best wishes to all, a. Cool
snow conditions
Webcam looked like snow, about 4" up the mountain during today. Was snow to some extend down to the village.
latest report
cheers Ronald hors piste thanks snowHead
snow conditions
andreaharding

have a look at the main road in Murren, see a car -

can you see Murren from here at Birg @ 2676m-

nice paths in Murren -

nice visiting dogs too ( Ysabella) ..lol

did i mention no Q's and empty pistes...lol

resort webcam -
http://www.muerren.ch/bellevue/livecam/livecam.htm

Murren has hardly changed over the years since i have been going (30+ years)...they have kept it small and heavenly...its a break from the norm !!

So do pop across and take a look
latest report
very beautiful, lovely photos! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
andreaharding wrote:
very beautiful, lovely photos! Madeye-Smiley

thankyou
latest report
Chris Brookes, You didn't tell us that there were wolves in Murren! wink
Actually Ysabella looks lovely Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Chris Brookes, You didn't tell us that there were wolves in Murren! wink
Actually Ysabella looks lovely Madeye-Smiley

Ysabella and Harvey dont like being called wolves wink

snow report
any outlooks for Wengen/Murren for easter week? Off on Sunday Very Happy
snow report
Andreaharding - looks great. A fall of snow right down to Wengen today with more due at the weekend.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Murren/6day/mid
snow report
take a look at this....amazing dangerous

The Tabasco line, flying trough the crack
Finally found a nice setup for the crack. Its a bit tight when you come around the corner, but still enough space. Doable from the high Eiger exitpoint! Smile

need to copy and paste all of it -
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/video/video.php?v=10150152713825487&ref=mf
snow conditions
thanks pjd!
andrea. Cool
snow conditions
AndreaHarding

I spoke with the Falken Hotel this morning and have been told that we will be able to ski to the hotel. That is good news.
Sunday looks like it will be busy but Monday onwards should be much quieter, told that most hotels will have closed and that only Club Med and the Sharks Ski Club around.
If you are near the Eiger Bar from about 3pm onwards chances are you will see members of the ski club - the theme is beach so do not be suprised what you see.
Enjoy Wengen, snow conditions look ok especially for Easter with the possibility of more snow low enough temperatures.
ski holidays
Its going to be fine eitherway...i would rather be in the Jungfrau Region for a week than spending it at work wink
ski holidays
thank you escmatters. Will look out for you!
a.
ski holidays
Looking at the cams its showing its dumping down to Wengen at present !!
ski holidays
Well a good week in Wengen, staying at the Falken Hotel. Good dump of snow on Sunday night gave powder skiing on Monday and not too bad Tuesday morning but after that it was not so good.
I hope AndreaHarding had a good week.

Got the ski lift closure dates for season 2010/11, Easter is a no go unless you go to Murren.
Mannlichen and lower lifts of Wengen close on 10th April, top lifts and Murren on 25th April.

So farewell to Wengen until season 2011/12 Sad
snow report
Dear Escmatters, and Chris Brookes, of course. I thought it was great. Lovely snow on Monday, and bit slushy low down later on in the week, but we skiied every day til 4ish, and just chose runs according to where the sun wasn't. It was hot, tho'. We went to Murren, but I think didn't get a good view, as the Schilthorn was under a massive cloud, but liked what we did and liked the look of the village too.

Would def return, and the scenery was staggeringly beautiful, Alpenrose Hotel amazing, and the best food I've had in a long time (- maybe not brilliant for veggies...). Loved Wengen, liked the lack of cars and adverts. Little Angel

Thanks all for advice, and here's to the next season!
Best,
A.

(p.s. did see one man in a bear costume and one in a tutu - was that your party?)
snow report
AndreaHarding
Not only was there the bear, but Little Bo Peep and about 15 sheep, there were at least 60 tutu's being worn and of course we had the teletubbies as well.
Unfortunately this year we had the highest number of injuries, one broken leg helicoptered from Arven lift to Interlaken on Monday and two knee (ACL) injuries one helicoptered of Piste Gloria on Thursday afternoon.
In all cases this was in the afternoon when the cairngorm powder appeared. They were all doing relatively slow turns and bindings not releasing.
ski holidays
ha! Bad news re injuries - actually passed the Thursday incident, it looked bad...Hope they make a quick recovery.

Where are you going to next year?
Best,
a.
ski holidays
Uncertain as to where to go

The earliest we can go is the 9th April, possibly the 16th as Derbyshire schools don't break up till then.
Looking for a resort that has a long season such as Ischgl in Austria, they seem to have a very long season.

The problem is getting a hotel that can accommodate 100 people at a reasonable price.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy