Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow 2010/11 - latest webcams post 1

Poster: A snowHead
I didn't hit a rock all day at Glencoe. The trick is to ski round them rather than over them Wink

Misplaced my camera cable Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CGM was very good today (Friday) - the recent snow has made a huge improvement. White Lady was excellent with only the odd hard patch from below the tunnel entrance although it was quite hard and icy at the top of the run. Cas was also magic, again with the odd hard patch on the upper edges of the run and one or two icy patches in the middle which were visible from a distance due to the excellent visibility.

M1 was still quite solid and East Wall of Lady was like the surface of the moon. It initially looked quite soft but the contours of snow were bone-shakingly rock hard.

At the bottom, The Slot was fine but the lower slopes were a little thin, as was the bottom of Home Road where the gravel path is starting to show through, although a base-safe route can easily be found.

All in all a great day on the hill.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nevis was cracking today.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glenshee today was awesome. After some initial cloud over the tops it cleared and I boarded mostly in sunshine today. Spent the morning on Carn Aosda until the wind picked up at about 2pm and removed the fresh snow leaving it hard and skiddy. We moved over to Meall Odar, which was sheltered from the wind and spent our time between the poma and the run home. Spent most of the day on the pistes (which is unusual for me) and had a fantastic time. The best offpiste for me was found in the afternoon on Meall Odar.

Personally I think Glenshee needs a few inches of new snow a day to keep the sliding surface good as the pistes can get very scraped early on, but with last nights snowfall it surprised me how much fun it was. Obviously a big dump would (in my opinion) make it second to none if only for the variety on offer.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was a bluebird Friday, starting off with Thursday's almost uniform covering of fresh, though the wind got up and started moving the snow around, so surface conditions became more variable as the day went on, the powder stashes had a habit of moving!

^FRI: M1 Poma doing it's thing as dusk falls on the 'Gorm.

^FRI: White Lady groomed out to 8 machine widths gathers windblown fresh as the light faded on Friday.

Overnight and into Saturday morning saw 2-3 inches of fresh, once again restoring the all over covering of new snow the firm to hard base. The White Lady was re-pisted overnight and like other terrain that has been regularly pisted through the week the base though still hard is now really grippy firm packed snow and with the layer of pisted windblown with a couple of inches of straight down fresh on top, it was fantastic riding for the more advanced.

Up top the Ciste and Ptarmigan Bowls were offering machine packed powder (had been catching windblown fresh on Friday) and the upper Cas and pisted areas of the Fiacaill were also in great condition - but the Fiaicaill beyond the pisted base was icy under the fresh, a reminder that the effects of the freezing rain early in the holiday period is still lurking in some off-piste areas.

^SAT: The overnight fresh powder glistens in the winter sun on Loch Morlich.

^SAT: Skier tracked fresh on the East Lady. Part of the East Lady was pisted later.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oops forgot the links to the photos...

Fri: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=681
Sat: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=682
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whats everyones thoughts on Glencoe 2moro?

I'm still not feeling 100% so don't want to waste energy driving and Glencoe is the closest to me
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just looked at the webcams and it looks nice (if a bit rocky) Happy

Cheers
Bob
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1873Chris, if the weather's good do it as it shouldn't take you much more than an hour.

glasgowcyclops, had a few days now and the skis are in good nic.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scotia, You heading up?

Think aslong as the roads are good we're gonna go for it and pray the weather is good when we get there
The wind doesn't look like being a major problem but visibility will probably be pretty crap

Still enough rocks not to take my new Whitedots yet glasgowcyclops,
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1873Chris, probably Tuesday. Have faith and take the new skis.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nah think my liberty hazmats will quite enjoy the powder 2moro
I fancy heading off piste a little 2moro so wouldn't risk the new skis
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monday potentially looks very snowy, I am considering a trip tuesday, how long does it take from Glasgow to glencoe, as I may drive Leeds to Glasgow on Monday evening.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2 hours tops
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, if you can go all the way through to Dumbarton where there's a Premier Inn (or something along those lines). If you can survive the night there then it's about an hour and fifteen minutes. Unless you have a reason to be in Glasgow and you just need somewhere to put your head down for the night I'd recommend that.

1873Chris, most of Glencoe is 'off piste'. I had the Ones out and they didn't touch a rock the whole day.
ski holidays
Brilliant time at Glencoe today. Lots of smiles, lots of blue sky & lots & lots of snow. Quite a few slips & bigger avalanches today, some of them small, some big. Springy went big in the usual place early on so big pile of debris near the bottom and a small slide on the upper Wall gave someone a shock this morning. Had first opportunity to use the new 'transceiver park' where the nine wired transmitters were buried under powder drifts today so no give away signs. Discovered that my Barryvox reads a search signal from a BCA Tracker as a transmit signal. Very weird but good to know. It's snowing on the mountain now & the 12 PM NAE weather model was predicting from 30 to 50 mm rain equivalent precipitation across north Argyll and Lochaber by 12 pm on Tuesday. A lot of the soft faces were getting a crust from about 3 oclock today as the sun dropped so guessing that the fresh won't stick on too well. Take care. Smile

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2500

The 'Mighty One' was on top form though. Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 9-01-11 23:35; edited 2 times in total
latest report
scotia wrote:
kitenski, if you can go all the way through to Dumbarton where there's a Premier Inn (or something along those lines). If you can survive the night there then it's about an hour and fifteen minutes. Unless you have a reason to be in Glasgow and you just need somewhere to put your head down for the night I'd recommend that.

1873Chris, most of Glencoe is 'off piste'. I had the Ones out and they didn't touch a rock the whole day.

Just looking at some of the deals on winter highland, will work out some prices! Will have a meeting in Glasgow but can drive on afterwards pretty much anywhere!!
snow report
kitenski, if you intend to ski Glencoe I think Glasgow is close enough that it doesn't really matter if you do the driving at night/in the morning.
snow report
scotia, My One's are brand spanking new tho so would rather let the base develop slightly more before using them and tbh my Liberty's are as fun as hell anyway

Also what do you mean by "survive" in Dumbarton?

It's a lovely friendly place lol
ski holidays
Just back in from a great day at Cairngorm.

Whiteout conditions this morning, so much so that i fell over as my brain couldn't decide which way was up and we came across a lady trying to snowboard up a hill as she was so dis-orientated!!! Quite amusing, but potentially lethal!! It did snow most of the morning though which freshened up the whole hill!

Cleared this afternoon to open up some amazing snow conditions, especially M1, White Lady and later on a few fresh tracks down the Coronation Wall. Simply awesome.

Still a bit of ice, espcially off piste and not too far under the pisted base, but the snow on top was beautiful. Not sure of the forecast tomorrow, but if it's clear it could be a great day.

Only negative was certain people showing poor form in lift lines... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Had a great weekend at Glencoe, lovely snow and weather both day.

Saturday was nice up top but a but harder on the lower runs with icy patches, fresh snow on Sunday sorted that out. Surprisingly both days were bluebird, freshies and sunshine what more can you ask for.

Whitedot were there both days and I tried The One, The Preacher and The Redeemer, I'll put a review up in a bit but the short summary is I loved The Preacher and thought it was surprisingly usable for such a big ski.

We stayed at The Ballachulish Hotel. They had a skiers special of £30 DBB/person which was fantastic value, nice room and lovely food, far better than I expected, amazing value for money.

Skiers heading to the spring run

Main basin

The views as always are stunning

The Whitedot demo tent

snow report
right 99% certain of heading up to meeting in 20mins in Glasgow, then Glencoe Tuesday, has anyone stayed at the Stewart Hotel in Glen Duror?? Appears to do good rates, reckon it's there or The Ballachulish Hotel but have not stayed at either??

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
The ballachulish is a nice hotel, and the ski package must be hard to beat.
ski holidays
Was lucky enough to have my first holiday of the year last week. Decided on a road trip round the 5 Scottish ski areas. Heres a selection of pics...

ski holidays
JDC, 5 dayer ... that must have been magic even if the arteries got a bit hardened by all the square sausage. Toofy Grin

The snow looks nearly as good as in the Alps too ? wink
snow report
JDC, excellent photos. Irn Bru one a classic Very Happy
snow conditions
JDC, nice photos!
latest report
wow conditions look a lot better than I imagined from the webcams. Now if I get that replort done this week I´m off somewhere.
snow report
 brian
brian
glasgowcyclops, make it quick, rain a distinct possibility by Wednesday. Sad
snow report
JDC, love the pics Very Happy
latest report
JDC, really great pics - was this your first time skiing Scotland or have you been before?
latest report
Had my first ever Scottish Ski trip this weekend to Glenshee and Cairngorm and it was great! Lots of snow, sunshine, not too much wind, just a shame about the time it took to drive there and back! (and perhaps shouldn't have attempted to drive from Glenshee to Aviemore via the Lecht in the dark with a 2WD and summer tires snowHead)

Some quick pictures:

latest report
Great pics there. How was the snow etc?
snow conditions
Generally very good. the worst I came across was a few inches of powder on top of a very hard base, but most places (particularly at Cairngorm) were powder on top of a nice grippy surface
latest report
ArseCaptain, good effort and great pictures !!! I think roga[ knows that journey quite well too.

The bit from GS to Aviemore via the Lecht probably felt nearly as long as from Bath to Gretna too. BTW, I'm loving the way user names can bypass the swear filters too.

Ricklovesthepowder, looked like ArseCaptain had sh1te weather & sh!te snow. Probably would have had better snow, been easier, cheaper, more soul-satisfying etc blah. blah to catch a flight to Geneva, hire a car, blah, blah, etc Toofy Grin
latest report
looking to do some filming in the back country near glencoe and cairngorm in February half term.. praying for a large dump of snow for then.
latest report
@kitenski Stewart hotel is shut at the moment for refurb, the winter has not been kind to it! Plenty other deals about check the accom. page on the Glencoe Mountain website...
snow conditions
milnerhome, if the snow hangs around don't rule out Nevis.
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
ArseCaptain, good effort and great pictures !!! I think roga[ knows that journey quite well too.

Aye, just a bit lol!

Great pictures ArseCaptain, great to hear you had a good weekend - looks like you choose a good weekend to go up.
Quote:
The bit from GS to Aviemore via the Lecht probably felt nearly as long as from Bath to Gretna too.

Yup, drove it in the summer and it sure feels like a long drive, gorgeous though - can imagine it could be pretty hairy in this time of year without winter tyres! Shocked
Quote:
BTW, I'm loving the way user names can bypass the swear filters too.

LOL, I've noticed that too!
Quote:
Ricklovesthepowder, looked like ArseCaptain had sh1te weather & sh!te snow. Probably would have had better snow, been easier, cheaper, more soul-satisfying etc blah. blah to catch a flight to Geneva, hire a car, blah, blah, etc Toofy Grin

That wouldn't be sarcasm would it? wink Laughing

Just watching the weather on Reporting Scotland - "significant amounts of snow" forecast for the Highlands (massive blob of white over Aviemore/Cairngorm, The Lecht and Glenshee on the weather map) snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
roga wrote:
just watching the weather on Reporting Scotland - "significant amounts of snow" forecast for the Highlands (massive blob of white over Aviemore/Cairngorm, The Lecht and Glenshee on the weather map) snowHead snowHead snowHead

oh yes, guess who is on his way Smile Blob better the 'coe as well!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy