Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

most embarrassing moment on skis, come on, dont be shy!

Poster: A snowHead
I once tried some snowblades Embarassed ......in my defence, it was about 20 years ago when I was young and foolish. Scrap that, it is indefensible, and very very embarrassing. I promise to never ever do this again. Ever.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyph,unfortunately for me as my son is in the kids team,I dont have time to do technique,I just grit my teeth together close my eyes and try to keep up Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a bit scared...can't think of a really embarrassing story...that means mine must be yet to come!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyph, our group calls that "loss of vertical hold". In my case, it is usually brought on as I stop at the end of a particularly satisfying run where I had to work hard, and nailed it. Just as you think that must have looked really cool, the world turns sideways suddenly...

I think it happens to almost everyone, especially when the contrast is poor - your brain has difficulty working out which way is up when it doesn't have the visual cues of a horizon or a tree line.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott, You disappoint me.
Here is mine...

Big scrum of queue about 2.30pm at 6 pack chairlift connecting chairlift at top of Mottaret. Decided that waiting for DH so we could be on same chair was pointless, was best to just get on. Get stuck in throng behind group who DITHERED and DITHERED about how they had to make it all the way over to Courchevel, and would the make the lift Evil or Very Mad .

So, MarjMJ being in holiday mode i.e. not bothering about being nice to people, decided I would use my best giraffe neck slithery shoulders to try to fill the next 6 pack, and hence get away from the ditherers...Made good use of shuffling up through the queue...and got to the gates...so, when the gate opened to let us through, I sped like a boardercross competitor across the loading platform....caught up with the preceding chair, tried to grab if for balance, as you do, but held on too long, and promptly skied right off the end of the platform.
Embarassed
Fortunately...not a big drop. Fortunately was sensible enough to ski out to the side and avoid getting brained by the chair...Swithering looks all round from lifties, queue etc etc [and rightly so].

DH has not seen this...he overhears 2 guys who say...'Did you see that woman FALL off the chair'...so DH is then uploaded onto the now restarted chair, thinking 'OMG she is going to be inCANDEScent when she gets to the top' thinking someone had pushed me off...only to be totally confused by a somewhat contrite MarjMJ turning up at the top.

Lesson? Get the Blimming ditherers off the slops,...oK, no, Lesson - patience, MarjMJ, patience... Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mine has to be one I am sreminded about by some of the "witnesses" from time to time Embarassed Embarassed

It happened on a school trip I was leading to Sauze d'Oulx (we'd booked another resort but were moved last minute) - no rep and no knowledge of the resort. We led the group around to the chair going up the the Sport 'Oulx area (we talking 70s here folks!) Checked with the Liftie that the kids could go up sans skis, sent up the best kids first and brought up the rear with our skis on. Nice ride up all the kids standing below the chair top station waiting without their skis on. We saw a small wooden ramp with a bit of snow on passed it thinking it was a relic from an earlier age. Then spotted the completely cleared cement dismount for walkers coming up fast! Oops Shocked Shocked

So the two of us threw up the safety bar and jumped out of the lift, landing in a heap in front of the kids, but on our feet (and skis) Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed That "relic" was the dismount for skiers! We had to put up with teasing from the group all week about checking out lift exits.

But by the time we were back at school a couple of weeks, the story was that we had done a "James Bond" like jump from 30+ feet and skied off with great aplomb! So street cred was restored, just not with the witnesses. I still get FB comments from ex-pupils asking if I still jump off chair lifts! Blush

rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If only this guy was a Snowhead....

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Getting onto a chairlift, the chap alongside me managed to sit down and miss the chair. So he than grabbed hold of the skis nearest to him - one of mine, and one belonging to the person on the other side. With the result that he pulled us both off the chair, skis first which than sank in right up to the bindings. Now you try getting your self up when you're lying flat on your face, you can't move your feet because they're anchored to the ground by your skis and you can't even lift your head for more than a few seconds at a time because they didn't stop the lift so the skis of the people on the subsequesnt chairs are whizzing past only inches above you!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Funny how many of these involve lifts. As she's not here to defend herself Twisted Evil Mrsph had one last year.

We're standing in line waiting to get on a crappy 3 man lift (TS Troncs, Morzine fans) which I know is a bit brisk in the back of the calves if you're not careful. So I warn her to be quick, get back into the seat and sit down quickly. She's so focussed on getting her bum in place that she doesn't notice that as the chair lifts us up, one of her skis stays put (must have been out of the binding or summat). I smile and wave at the liftie who immediately gives it to the next customer. I've been chuckling to myself and we're 3/4 of the way up before she says what's so funny? I say, look down and tell me what's wrong with this picture. She looks, doesn't get it. I say, count how many skis you can see. Embarassed rolling eyes

3-legged dismount, no problem. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was vaugely embarrising as people were looking at us, but was more cross than anything

Getting on a 6 man chair in Arc 1950 - was a bit odd in that you sit down where the chair is turning. The person in front drooped their poles and lost a ski while getting on, but the rather bored lifty missed it, I shouted in my best French (Oi You!) but before he noticed my daughter had tripped over the ski and was half on half off the lift.

Said lifty was then shouting at us for causing a queue Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MarjMJ, Laughing Laughing

Dav, he may well be!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andyph, ah yes the Troncs Laughing Having said that we have had three incidents on the Rosta which looks quite innocuous. And I was VERY proud of a 3 legged exit with a beginner friend of mine after she had a mishap getting on the Fys (now that's also got a swift uptake)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiing backwards into a lift pylon while teaching someone how to ski in a private lesson!

Skiing throuhgt a drag lift out on to the Golf Course at the dry slope where I teach

There are many many more but they are the bet of them
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine was not on skis but at work.
Several of us got most of our work done a bit early so we could nip off for a break and watch some of the mens olympic downhill on tv. It was very sunny outside and we could not see the TV screen because of the sun so we closed the curtains.
The downhill was cancelled so we had a coffee and stuck the video on where someone had left a copy of Kentucky Fried Movie.
This a series of pastiches on other movies. We were jsut watching a skit of a blue movie 'Swedish Nympho nurses rip it off' or some such with heaving bodies all over and the curtains closed when the boss walks in showing round some VIP visitors.
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Falling off the draglift at Castleford in front of several SnowHeads

Embarassed

I remember that Toofy Grin I remember you repeating the feat in Murren too wink
latest report
I frequently fall over in front of people, especially if I am teaching. Always trying to sort myself out with gloves and stuff Laughing
snow report
As a beginner, I tried skiing down (in snowplough) over the bumps at Bromley dry slope. I lost control over the first bump, headed full speed for the last bump and then launched into the air (I like to tell people it must have looked so cool NehNeh) but then landed on only one ski which proceeded to detach from my boot. Ended up with spectacular carpet burns on my face, but I remember laughing so it can't have been that bad. Just got some disgusted looks from the cool set Laughing
ski holidays
arv, everybody (esp children) LOVES to see an instructor fall over Laughing but it's how they react which really makes me laugh.

When they tumble and make a fuss, looking hard back at the snow behind them to see what could possibly have caused such a dreadful thing to happen.... rolling eyes

When they get up and join in the laughter (providing no injuries of course) = cool
ski holidays
We got our friends skiing and after a few lessons on the dry slope they wanted to go to the Chillfactore. I don't think our friend quite appreciated how slippy the snow is compared to the dry slope. She set off from half way up the slope, lost control completely and landed in a big heap entangled in the safety meshing and the rather long queue. She was warned that if she did that "once more, you're off". She's a wee bit self concious so she decided to leave anyway. Worked out at cost per skiing second I reckon that ski cost more than a trip to courchevel Laughing
snow report
andyph, You soon stop noticing it - and all off-piste skiers fairly much have to carry one. Shovel and probe are not that heavy but I normally have a water bottle, spare gloves and extra layer, and often skins. When I very occasionally recently I have a rope and harness and other toys in there it gets much heavier. And touring is another ball-game. I once climbed and skied to an unsupervised hut with wine for 8 people in my backpack!!!
snow conditions
Way back in the day when it was ok to smoke in gondolas I attempted to flick my cigarette out of the window (I know...) and despite it being a distance of only about 3 inches I missed and it bounced onto the ...er... lap of the enormous bavarian opposite who - to his discredit - failed to see the funny side. Skullie
snow conditions
red 27, Laughing
snow report
snowball, you are Sherpa Tenzing and I claim my £5. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Hurtle, And me Laughing
snow conditions
Alas, it did not happen to me but a friend of mine (ex Norwegiam demo team and guide).

He was happily cross country skiing through the trails in Norway. Came accross a couple of men on the track, passed them by and continued on his way. Shortly afterwards came accross a damsel not so much in distress but relieving herself. She was the Norwegian prime minister and cooly said to him "not many people have caught me with my pants down". They ended up skiing around the trails together for the afternoon.

It could have been worse, it might have been Gordon Brown, it might have been ever so worse than that if it were Brian Cowen Sad Sad
snow report
Roy Hockley wrote:
Shortly afterwards came accross a damsel not so much in distress but relieving herself. She was the Norwegian prime minister and cooly said to him "not many people have caught me with my pants down". They ended up skiing around the trails together for the afternoon.

Don't keep us in suspense, what happens in part 2? Shocked Very Happy
snow report
Roy Hockley, nice one.

andyph, Very Happy , but Sherpas don't earn much so you'll have to claim it off my sponsor, BernardC. (PS, he doesn't actually know he's my sponsor.)
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
andyph, Very Happy , but Sherpas don't earn much so you'll have to claim it off my sponsor, BernardC. (PS, he doesn't actually know he's my sponsor.)
Ain't too proud to beg... wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley wins, even by proxy. That's an excellent story.
ski holidays
andyph, her bodyguards turned up!
snow report
Roy Hockley, all blonde Norsk goddesses, dedicated to their leader? "All back to my prime ministerial chalet for a sauna and baby oil rub down?" NehNeh
Tell, tell!
latest report
Roy Hockley, that's amazing, lol! Awesome.

My embarrassing moment, well I've had a few, but the one this year was in Chamonix, was stood on a steepish red having just stopped to radio my mum or something like that, grabbed my ski poles again, moved my ski slightly over, 'jammed' on my ski poles and i fell over, hard snow and pole across stomach hurt!! And I slid a fair bit of a way down the steep red flat on my face!

The other one was getting caught by the bounced-back safety bar, footrests around my leg on the Lac chairlift in VT and I was down and out and it bloody hurt! And I had massive inner thigh bruises too which was really bad Laughing

Non-skiing but ski related had to be at the BBC when I had to report back to the big important ski sunday editor, and didn't quite dare to go into the edit suite to stood outside feeling like an UTTER LEMON while Gabby Cook and Graham Bell were talking just next to me in the corridor, I did go in after a couple of minutes but felt soooo stupid Embarassed Laughing
snow report
crazy_skier_jules, I managed to tell some girl from ski sunday that in my opinion skiing was a poisonous disease and the lauberhorn race was an assbag magnet and the worst week of the winter. Awesome Smile
snow conditions
Skigin in Whsitler, I didn't quite get the entrance to Couloir Extreme right and get launched out of the first compression. Landed badly and lost a ski, slid about 10 metres downhill on my chest using my chin as a brake, while my ski went sailing down. Luckily I'd done it *so* badly the ski popped right up and got so much air it landed tip first and was bedded in the hill, else I'd have been skiing the rest on one ski. Of course I skiied the rest of it absolutely perfectly, I wasn't at all bricking it that I'd fal again Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Not surprisingly, mine had to do with a drag lift, like so many other snowheads. It was in Austria. Somewhere mid-mountain, I lined up for a lift which in my casual glance, I neglected to notice it was not a chair but a T-bar! Shocked

Being from the states, I was already skiing blacks but had never seen a drag lift. Cool In the mean time, I had struck up a nice conversation with a nice Italian guy in the line, who naturally proceeded to share the T-bar with me...

Not having enough to time to ask for help or instruction, nor even time to worry, I optimistically hoped I could somehow manage to get on the T-bar properly, despite having never tried one nor having the foggiest idea how. rolling eyes I promptly fell and tangle up with the said nice italian chap, who was quite confused as to what happened. Puzzled

Second attempt, still having no clue of what I was suppose to do. The friendly italian chap offered to hold the bar so I can position myself in leasure. I was able to grab onto the bar with both hands but still couldn't hang on. So the nice lad let go of the bar and re-join me next to the loading area.

Realizing my hopeless situation, I confessed I've never riden a t-bar before. So he offerd the standard 3-word advice: "don't sit down". I gave it another go and it looked like I got it. We were a good 15 yards into the lift. He was clearly pleased with the result of his improptous instructor's role: "see, it's not hard"... upon which I promptly fell off! Embarassed

(By then, I was too demoralized to try yet another time. So I opted to ski down the fairly steep and somewhat mogully black to the lower lift which was a chair. The italian chap was impressed by how competantly I handled the difficult terrain, and found it amusing how I can NOT know how to ride a t-bar!)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy