Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
FenlandSkier, they've been talking about closing it for at least 5 years, basically it's very useful when there's poor snow on the nursery slopes but good enough snow to ski to Allmend, if you can't ski to Allmend they take them either up to the Mannlichen or to Kleine Scheidegg, neither of which have trees to help with visability in poor weather, what they really should do is let the bumps area return to the mogul field it used to be, unfortunately they have to Piste bash it (probably for legal reasons) but it used to become a really nice Mogul Field with hundreds of small moguls no more than 2 ft high at their biggest, an ideal area to train people on their technique as its relatively gentle
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I once did a backwards nose wheelie down the whole length of bumps, FACT Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The whole length?! You must have been going some!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes thats the one the Ski school urges us to use as much as possible.

D G Orf, Last season there wasn't enough snow /ever/ to properly piste the blue run along bumps... but the year before, between Woschbar and the lift was left ungroomed... and it is bumpy there by nature (I skiied there the 9th of december 2006) Very nice stuff!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ronald, are you back there this season ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Brookes, unsure. Will go for hols for sure... In process of buying house and all, and the current attempt does need some work ...

If just Hols, i will try to time it along with the MSB.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stab - how was the snow at Scheidegg?? Think its gonna melt for the Jungfrau Marathon? I am at Mettlenalp all day Saturday handing out the drinks and snowboards to the competitors.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there's no snow on scheidegg at all, much to my disappointment. It is however, as cold as a witches tits.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Schilthorn is white on webcams snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
how do you pronounce scheidegg ?

Shy deg ?
Shy dig ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would say shy deg.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
masmith, In 'proper' German, that e should be pronounced like an e/acute in French - which is perhaps why it can sound like Shy dig. Or Shy dayg.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
(Almost every English person I've ever known mis-pronounces Männlichen - as though it were an ordinary a at the beginning.) [/pedantic rant-let]
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"man lick en" is how I would have said it. So is it "mahn lick en" ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith, men-lich (soft/aspirated ch)-en
ski holidays
masmith, No - "men lick en" .
a with an umlaut is pronounced as a short "e"
(I didn't think I'd bother going into the correct ch pronunciation Toofy Grin )
latest report
Hurtle, Alastair Pink, thanks.
snow conditions
masmith, Similarly, most Brits incorrectly pronounce the name of the Läger chairlift as if it was a beer (mind you my local Sommerfield supermarket was advertising "larger" beer, so some people can't even get the English right! Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
American dies BASE jumping in Switzerland -

LAUTERBRUNNEN, Switzerland: An American man died attempting to BASE jump from a mountain in central Switzerland, local police said Saturday.

The unidentified 35-year-old tourist was killed Friday when his parachute was seized by a gust of wind, throwing him back against the cliff shortly after he jumped from a 300-meter (1,000-foot) high outcrop, Heinz Pfeuti of the Bern cantonal (state) police told The Associated Press.

The man's female companion, who jumped first, was unharmed and able to raise the alarm, Pfeuti said.

The Muerrefluh near Lauterbrunnen, about 65 kilometers (40 miles) southeast of the capital, Bern, is a well-known destination for BASE jumpers from all over the world.

Pfeuti said three people died BASE jumping from the outcrop last year, and serious injuries are common.

See article at - Herald International http://www.iht.com:80/articles/ap/2007/09/08/europe/EU-GEN-Switzerland-BASE-Jump-Death.php
snow report
Chris Brookes, definately not the first one to do this, I arrived one summer a few days after someone had done the same thing but they had an open mike all the way down, I understand it was recieved by all their fellow jumpers Shocked
latest report
I used to work in the campsite down there, you see people bouncing off the sides all the time.
I only know one american base jumper and luckily I saw him today.
ski holidays
looked at the webcams this morning, nice to see it snowed at Maennlichen........catch it on the webcam before it melts Sad
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, only a very light dusting though, in all seriousness I never worry about snow until November before then it just tends to melt away really quickly
ski holidays
Travelling with a bunch of beginner adults and 5 children (7,6,5,4,3) Been reading everything to see which of the 3 main Jungfrau resorts is most suitable. It would appear to be be Wengen. However I would welcome and further advice from all of the experts.
Main criteria are decent, convenient beginner slopes for the adults and children.
thanks!
ski holidays
Zermatt
snow conditions
ado, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Wengen is probably your best bet.....although it depends where you stay as to how convenient the slopes are.
ski holidays
stab wrote:
Zermatt
I love Zermatt to pieces, but convenient slopes for beginners???
latest report
ado, welcome to snowHead's

How about Murren ?? ** see picture below **

more snow sure than Wengen (1274m) at 1650m,no cars allowed on the streets of Murren,one of the nursery slopes is right in the centre of Murren (so you can sit at the Jungfrau Hotel terrece and have food/drink while watching them as its situated on the nursery slope), ** as seen in the picture **

After a short period of time they will be taken upto the Allmendhubel (1912m) and again you can eat/drink while watching them** see picture below **

Such busy roads in Murren....watch out for the cars Laughing Laughing

Great toboggan runs,ice skating rink,loads of walks and an indoor swimming pool what more could you need and only 40 minutes away from Wengen ....if you feel the need Laughing

ps.....did i tell you about the swings
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 19-09-07 22:35; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, great post !
ski holidays
masmith wrote:
Chris Brookes, great post !
Absolutely, Murren Tourist Office ought to use you for its PR! Lovely photos of a beautiful place. Personally, I'd rather be in Wengen for the convenience of skiing the area overall, but Murren is so pretty. I like skiing above Grindelwald, but wouldn't stay there - too big and full of cars, and I don't like the way the Eiger looms over it so menacingly (but I think I may have said all that earlier in this thread, can't remember.) Welcome, ado.
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, Although I always base myself in Wengen I would think that due to the location and type of nursery slopes in Murren it would be ideal for a group of begineers
latest report
Hurtle, i agree thats the only thing people moan about Murren ...but if they were to increase Murrens ski area of 54 km then it might loose it unique charm and become 'just another ski resort'..thats why it was chosen to be used on the OHMSS James bond film and thats why so many people return year after year.

If they have never been or skied before then its a great and safe place to learn .

I should be sponsored by tourism....lol
snow report
It's still crap over there though until mannlichen closes Razz

Hurtle wrote:
stab wrote:
Zermatt
I love Zermatt to pieces, but convenient slopes for beginners???

Doubt it but go to Zermatt is my new standard response for any question.
snow conditions
stab, bite me NehNeh
ski holidays
and you conveniently forgot to mention the allmendhubel drag lift was designed by complete idiots Razz , try getting on that thing on a snowboard riding goofy, you keep getting smacked in the head.
ski holidays
stab, well it used to be a T-bar but they wanted to stop snowboarders using it so they changed it to a button Razz
latest report
It really is the dumbest lift I ever used in my life, there's no room to stand on the right side to grab it. once I got the girlfriend all buttoned up I had to do it switch.
snow conditions
i know its a pain in the *ss they put a plank of wood the otherside and beleive it or not i can snowboard and found that a right 8itch
latest report
I am off to Wengen tomorrow for a walking week and have just put some extra cold weather gear in my bag as freezing temps and over 10cm of snow forcast for later in the week at village level .
snow conditions
It's cold in the mornings mate but the daytime is warm. Right time to come though, the tree colors around the top of bumps are great at the moment. And of course there are hardly any people here now.
Can you bring me a birds eye trifle mix Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy