Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread?

Poster: A snowHead
Bormio opened the top 3rd of the mountain last weekend and is going to open the middle 3rd this saturday. Little Angel
We spent today walking around the pistes watching them preping the slopes. Lots of snow cannons in operation.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A look at les Grandes Rousses (alpe d'Huez) taken from up behind my house this afternoon

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Am I the only one wondering why the January bargains haven't really kicked in yet? Surely nobody with access to Google is under any illusion about the current snow conditions? I'm sure it will snow, but there must be TOs desperate for business now? Or are they just waiting for the first big dump to open the phone lines?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Monium, as per usual the TO's are waiting for me to fully book my holiday before announcing the great offers and sales readily available!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
they probably are carrying less capacity this year anywhere so less scope for deals..

my local paper has a article about what to do at a ski resort with no snow..but also says that it'll be the cheapest year ever to ski in switzerland (obviously not for tourists)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weird change in the weather here. It's at least +15 and pouring with warm rain.

Probably some kind of inversion.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio, Yep, an inversion of warm moist air rising... Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No snow in London either.....even the snow centre in Hemel is claiming to be spring conditions
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As I said before its going to snow on the 1st of Dec, and then some more about 4 days later,

There will be enough snow in the resorts below the tree line, Alpine resorts will still have too many rocks.

Thats not uncommon for this time of year.

Earliest Ive been sking here in the last 10 years is November 17, its only the 24th. we are out by about a week, so quit worrying.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yesterday, I got two helium balloons for paulio jr.

This morning, they're still inflated, but sat on the floor rather than floating on the ceiling.

I think this means a change in air pressure so dramatic, that I've probably got the bends.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bit depressing reading the resort ski report for this time last year. http://www.valthonet.com/snow_report.php?id_snow_report=4456
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monium wrote:
Am I the only one wondering why the January bargains haven't really kicked in yet? Surely nobody with access to Google is under any illusion about the current snow conditions? I'm sure it will snow, but there must be TOs desperate for business now? Or are they just waiting for the first big dump to open the phone lines?

Thomas Cook have some bargains!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
still the golf club at Montgenevre must be having an extended season
when you go there they give you a village map one side is coloured white and shows the lower pistes and village streets
the other side is green and has 9 holes of golf on the lower slopes
looking at webcams they could still be knocking balls about at the mo, if the lift people get out of the way Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio, if the balloons are on the floor and paulio jr is now floating on the ceiling, i reckon i know where your helium has gone.
snow report
I see even the BBC is getting in on the act:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15868294
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, Now that would be an inversion Toofy Grin
snow report
Elsewhere on this forum, Jbob has posted a link to the following. Fingers crossed eh?

"Snow next week", says Meteo France!! In the streets of Chamonix, the world capital of mountaineering, ski-ing aficionados look up each morning with a frown. "Storm... of blue sky, over Mont Blanc." Elsewhere in France, it's the same story.
Nothing, not even the smallest snowflake to ski on during September. October. November...! Last Friday, with the temperature drop in the valley, the snow guns in Les Houches were fired-up, but didn't really
create a wintry atmosphere. "La Verte des Houches", which is to host the downhill World Cup in January, has never so aptly named: lovely, deep expanses of... grass.

But now, on the digital computer horizon, weather models are starting to predict... snow! Cold air from Canada is, as we speak, heading to Europe!
"We can now clearly see cold air coming from Canada over the Atlantic and heading for Europe", the Chamonix meteorologist, Yan Giezendanner, assurres us. "It will soon push away the warm anticyclone that's sitting ontop of us". Basically, this means humidity and therefore... snow.

Like Yan, Météo France predicts a "gradual release of the anticyclone" pattern of blue skies and mild temperatures in the coming days. "It's
been in the pipeline for several days now", says Météo France. "Bad weather & snow will be with us by the end of November and early December. " So, is this the end of the "Big Blue"?

It would seem so. In its "mountain" forecast, Météo France have announced, with a rather high confidence index, "heavy snow on Monday and Tuesday." Meanwhile, Yan Giezendanner predicts a couple of weeks (maybe even three weeks) of snowy weather, with the rain-snow altitude shifting between the altitude of Chambéry (ie 271m) and 1500 metres. "It will not give us the equivalent of previous good winters, but it should ensure a good season."
latest report
I agree, fingers crossed. However the Meteo France Mountain weather forecast through to Wednesday is for no snow, or maybe a few flakes on Saturday. Is this article some publicity operation because there are zero bookings in the ski resorts (well maybe not zero but word on the street is of a "catastrophe".

MF is predicting rain from Wednesday through Friday although their forecasts are notoriously bad, they are referred to as Meteo Crash in the French mountaineering community. Snow/Rain level around 2000m falling to 1500m during the episode although may well be much lower.
ski holidays
I would not get to excited. There is going to be a few flakes this weekend which probably melt.

A long term outlook for Wengen , still to warm !!

http://www.meteoprog.ch/en/weather/Wengen/11_15/
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
I would not get to excited. There is going to be a few flakes this weekend which probably melt.

A long term outlook for Wengen , still to warm !!

http://www.meteoprog.ch/en/weather/Wengen/11_15/

Rubbish forecast, it will snow, all week starting the night of Nov 30th, Dec 1, you need to look at this forecast which accurately called this at least a week ago.

Smile

Nix.
snow conditions
You're all wrong.

It will start to snow on 30th Nov, at 07:38.
The 1st snowfall will end at 13:47 on the same day and continue, sporadically, until sometime next year.

Oh and if anyone is wondering, the first major snowfall of next season will be 02:36 on 27th September 2012 and will last for 6 hours and 38 minutes.

For the 2013/14 season I have a feeling about the 26th September - but will let you know nearer the time

The forecast is just as accurate as the met office's, so there Toofy Grin
latest report
cockerhoop wrote:
still the golf club at Montgenevre must be having an extended season
when you go there they give you a village map one side is coloured white and shows the lower pistes and village streets
the other side is green and has 9 holes of golf on the lower slopes
looking at webcams they could still be knocking balls about at the mo, if the lift people get out of the way Laughing

Skiers v's golfers Les Arcs April '11. Plenty of room for everybody Toofy Grin
ski holidays
This from the Ischgl forecast - shows that this is officially worrying!

It seems quite sure, that for November no precipitation is expected anymore. This is a very rare phenomena. Whether December will bring the necessary precipitation is still uncertain

Wigglies seem to show rain next week and then a return to high pressure - neither of which would be very welcome Confused
snow conditions
It's only mid November!
latest report
paulio, technically is late November... Smile
snow conditions
nixmap wrote:

Rubbish forecast, it will snow, all week starting the night of Nov 30th, Dec 1, you need to look at this forecast which accurately called this at least a week ago.

Nix.

You are God and I claim my £5.
ski holidays
any one who pretends their not worried is lying, and this site is full of idots...ask a question ad get shot down by the handfull of people who live their life on here instead of in the real world...get a grip and bore off...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mad_mike, Is your name really mike?
ski holidays
Quote:

any one who pretends their not worried is lying, and this site is full of idots

Including some "idots" who spell "they're" incorrectly... Toofy Grin
snow report
mad_mike, I an idot two.

For the record, Isola ( also for the record it's in America) is opening tomorrow ... a week early.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 25-11-11 21:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
mad_mike, I'm going Jan 14th - I'm not worried, as that won't make the slightest difference to whether it snows or not. I'm hopeful that it does of course, but will just have a nice break, some mountain walks and a lot of gin of it doesnt.

TBF I will have a lot of gin regardless
ski holidays
very strange
just had this email from neilson (t. cook) saying the opposite !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We know you're itching to get to the slopes, feel the powder beneath your board, rack up some impressive ski speeds and enjoy some serious après ski. So do you want to hear the fantastic news? There’s already plenty of snow in many of our resorts! Turn your dream of a ski holiday into a reality and take your pick from our fabulous selection of snow-filled resorts & offers online.

times must be hard for t. cook !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
They're talking about Canada, eh.
snow conditions
^ or the USA, or Japan...
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
mad_mike, I an idot two.

For the record, Isola ( also for the record it's in America) is opening tomorrow ... a week early.

Isola opening 50% of its resort this weekend.

Auron, nearby, also is opening.

France as a whole is about to experience its warmest November on record.
snow conditions
mad_mike wrote:
this site is full of idots....

I think thats very unfair and a little insulting.
ski holidays
nixmap wrote:
mad_mike wrote:
this site is full of idots....

I think thats very unfair and a little insulting.

I know, it can't possibly be more than half.....
ski holidays
Is it me, or is this thread a bit weird?
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
Is it me, or is this site a bit weird?

FIFY

There's definitely a certain frission of pre-seasonal tension in the air.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy