Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
ski-finder, Thanks fella, looks like we may get quite abit of snow from Thurs onwards.
Could I have a bit of advice. On a couple of trips we did last year we didn't ski Morzine/Les Gets because there was more snow above Avoriaz. I really like the Les Gets side so would it make sense to Ski Avoriaz when we arrive on Weds and Thurs when the weather is forecast to be clear and then ski Morzine and Les Gets when the weather is forecast to be snow and higher winds --- thinking being the snow quality will be good and the visability better due to being lower?

Thoughts please?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SP1R1T, I've not skied Morzine/Les Gets (although friends have many many times). Visibility was a big issue as you can see on Tuesday last week. So much so that some of my mates only stayed out for the morning (actually the worst period it did eventually clear up). The blue slopes running down the mountain to Morzine were fine even when there was the thick cloud towards the peaks. Just be careful to spot which lifts are open if winds are high, but it sounds like a decent plan to me. Les Gets looked like a nice village, when we passed it on our transfer. What ever you decide to do.... enjoy!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski-finder, Thanks. All very much looking forward to it. I'm sure the snow will be great, even if it's too much or no new snow at all. This season is great compared to last ... not so much hit and miss abeit we had good skiing last year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm sure your holiday will be great, SP1R1T, as even though it has been warm during the day (but well below freezing at night) this week, the pistes were still in excellent nick today in Les Gets. Lovely skiing all day, beautiful sunshine and blue skies.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowzebra, Hi, Les Gets and Morzine is where we want to ski, seems likely to be very little new snow whilst we're there. Can you recommend some nice areas to head for as not skied Les Gets/Morzine much. We all competant intermediates. With the way weather is I'd imagine it would mainly be on piste?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was in Avoriaz from Thurs-yesterday. Fantastic conditions, but it is just starting to wane.

Brilliant blue skies with great snow on empty pistes. It doesn't get much better.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back at work Sad after 3 weeks in Morzine Smile

Fantastic snow. The new snow hung around all powdery and soft for ages. More is needed now, though. However, It meant that I had powder, chopped up, nice piste, soft piste, soft bumps, icy piste, icy ice, icy bumps... and sometimes all at once.

Great teaching from BASS.

The investment in lifts over the last few years in Avoriaz & Les G / Morzine has made such a difference. The only queues that were noticeable were for the Prodains cable car and the Chavannes chair out of Les Gets.

The new Avoriaz chair - Grandes Combes is excellent, if only it went from the bottom of Crot not half way down.

I found the black on the front of Pleney.

Mont Chery is great.

I saw SkiFamille's and SnowAndTrek's vehicles. They didnt see me though. Ski Famille's Landrover would appear to have been bought about 1/2 mile from where I work (going by the plate)

Spent a day in Flaine; I thought Avoriaz was ugly, but wow. Nice slopes, though.

Now, to plan for '09....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SP1R1T, yes, I think the pistes are now more fun than the rather crispy off piste. There's plenty of nice places to ski, and wonderful views and good lunches thrown in. We like the Pointe de Nyon restaurant which is in between Morzine and Les Gets, there are good reds and blues all around - there's a spectacular chair ride up to P d Nyon itself with a hair pin red down. Detour to Chamossiere for a now rather icy black or more fun red and unbelievable views to Mt Blanc. Today there were a clutch of hot air balloon floating over the peaks. Over on Charniaz chair to Les Gets bowl (Nauchets, Rosta, Ranfolly & Grain d'Or lifts) - great little restaurant, Lhottys, just along by the top of Nauchets lift - and loads of great reds and blues for cruising all the way round the bowl, and also over the top of G d'Or down to La Turche. By mid afternoon it is now getting a bit heavy on the lower slopes but still good skiing in most places. Hope this is helpful to you - others may well have other ideas to suggest to you??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
doctor_eeyore wrote:

Spent a day in Flaine; I thought Avoriaz was ugly, but wow. Nice slopes, though.

Now, to plan for '09....

We are planning Flaine for '09 what did you think? SKied Avoriaz once last year and conditions were greeeeat whilst Morzine struggled!!

Third year of Morzine this year....due out 9th Feb!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RetroBod, If you search on Flaine or my posts you'll see a bit of discussion on this - I've skiied both PDS and Flaine/ Grand Massif a few times and I think both have lots to offer - I found late season skiing better in the Flaine Bowl than in Avoriaz (more north facing slopes I think) but if the snow is in good nick as it appears to be then megafun to be had at both. The "Flaine is sooo ugly" view is commonly held but I'd argue that a key intended design feature of Flaine is that it blends in with the rocks - and it does - you can struggle to pick it out from the mid stations - unlike Avoriaz that is loud and proud on top of the cliff....but then again I like 1960's French brutalist architechture. If you want pretty then I think that Samoens 'proper' (not the ski station) and Les Gets are both up there for me.

ONe last comment about Flaine - its for ski nuts or families (young and teenage kids - the older ones can have the run of the town, such as it is) - there are a few party spots but its pretty quiet - and if you can't / don't ski then bring a good book. Having said that...you can get to one of the very best views of Mont Blanc without skis (Grand Plattieres) - and spend a very pleasant afternoon up there trying not to burn...

Enough ramlbe - work calls - enjoy! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowzebra, Thanks for all your info ........ this time tomorrow Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suppose if you camoflage Flaine in snow it is fine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just come back from a few days in St Jean d'Aulps and had a fantastic time! Great weather, didn't get to see any new snow but there was plenty around anyways (more than enough for a beginner like me!). Weather was super warm in the days and nice and cold over night. Suffering from aches and pains from continued falling whilst boarding but all good fun. Hope anyone going out in the next few days n weeks has a great time!!! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MrDan, Glad you had a good one. We're staying in St Jean from tomorrow. Planning on skiing there in the afternoon. Did you ski St Jean or go to Avoriaz,Morzine etc. If you did ski SJ Jean were the slopes OK and the circuit open, as it's a really nice area?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SP1R1T, You should have a lovely time then! The full circuit is open right the way back to the front of our apartment building (Le Domaine des Cimes, just in case you fancy a peek while you're there wink ). Very icy on the last stretches of the road and we saw quite a few people fall on this so be careful! Slopes up top were very nice indeed, as I say my ventures were pretty limited due to my competency and wish to take it easy whilst learning, but everyone we spoke to was having a great time and the pistes up by Roc d'Enfer were looking fabulous. Snow cannons on overnight.

Went up to Avoriaz for a wander around (as a pedestrian) and it all looks great up there - too many crowds for my liking to be honest but good snow coverage - a timely top up of fresh in the coming days would be very good I should think. Morzine was also looking very nice, snow patchy lower down by the looks of it but lots of people having a nice time.

If you are eating out in St Jean at all can fully recommend Pere Bill's - had some great food there on Sunday night. You may have to pop in during the day and reserve a table as he was packed. Find a nice seat by the open fire and eat and drink the evening away - ahhh, bliss.

Hope you have a great time and would be good to hear what you think when you come back!

snowHead
snow report
MrDan, Thanks for that mate, most helpful.Looking at it we may get lucky with the weather also. All the best. Bed soon, need to be up at 3 !!! But don't care ...... we're going skiing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Today saw low cloud, drizzle during the morning and a little bit of snow here in Les Gets. Reports from other members of the family on the slopes were not bad at all, pistes still ok and a little sprinkle of new snow. Bumps icy and hard, best avoided.
snow report
Snow expected Friday!!!!
snow report
Just stepped back in from a lovely day out in the sunshine and quite a cold wind, to be honest. First thing this morning wasn't that great: fairly thick fog and incredibly slippery pavements and side roads after a hard freeze overnight. By 11.30am all was looking better, patches of blue sky appearing and mist fragmenting. Picnic lunch in the sunshine and a good ski round Ranfolly and Rosta lifts, red and blue pistes fine, the blacks looked perilously icy though. Then over to Mt Chery where we had a great afternoon. You might have thought that the warm thaw/freeze/fog had had dire effects - actually the red run (slalom course) down the face was excellent today with 3 or 4 ESF instructors giving private boarding and slalom lessons and hardly anyone else around. We then went down Marmotte, at the back of Mt Chery which was spectacularly good, considering. Did it twice, to be sure, then back over into the sunshine. Fabulous vistas from the summit: streaks of fluffy clouds floating below glistening peaks all around Mont Blanc & Dents du Midi. Much colder today, with a brisk wind pushing the clouds over at quite a pace.
PS. A1 coffee and cakes at La Grande Ourse, a the top of the button.
snow conditions
I'm out this weekend and (trying to) telemark(ing) around Les Gets / Morzine on Saturday. If anyone spots a telmarker with a green jacket and blue helmet then it'll be me - come over and say hello.

Don't even bother looking for me on steep terrain wink
snow report
Low cloud here in Les Gets this morning and it has been snowing quite decently for the last half hour. Will update later on today.
snow report
PhillipStanton, good luck, it seems you might get some soft stuff to ease the falling.
BTW have you loaded up the 'roof' photo yet?
snow conditions
Snowed for 2 hours this am, then stopped, so more of a dusting than anything else. Hoping for some more overnight.
Skied local runs in Les Gets this afternoon. A cold wind and lots of interesting looking banks of clouds coming over. Some snow slushy but the cold wind keeping the higher pistes ok. The slalom run to the right of Nauchets lift enjoyable, but some muddy patches developing lower down. Let's hope for better news tomorrow.
snow report
We were planning in skiing in Les Houches today, but a 2am arrival into the apartment and a very busy week at work knocked the enthusiasm out of the necessary 8am start. So, we had a slow(ish) start and headed to Les Gets.

Les Gets was rather sleepy and, as snowzebra says, slushy lower down, but most runs were a joy to ski - the spring equivalent of "hero snow" - plenty of grip (except for the ice!) and even the bottom of Melzes was ok. The only problem I had was underestimating how bumped up Tulipe was, having decided to try to carve it top to bottom. More caution needed next time snowHead

As I write it's raining outside and 4 degrees on the comedy thermometer - so it should be snowing from the top of the Ardent bubble, but the bottom of Morzine and Les Gets is going to suffer. But the temperature's been dropping steadily for the last three hours - so there's a good chance of this turning to snow all the way down.

I've lost my telemark buddy, so we're heading up to Avoriaz tomorrow.

rayscoops - no sorry - I'll sort it out when I get back.
snow conditions
Not been out on the slopes today due to Geneva airport fun, but I can report back from Chatel that there was a shed load of snow when I set off this morning - enough to make the journey to the airport a little bit "will we/won't we"? Skies have now cleared (as have the roads) and the mountains look heavy with snow. And some bug has skied through my back garden before me!

Looks like more on Monday, so all set for an exciting week's skiing!
snow report
my sisters been saying the same from chatel. at least 15cm down to the chalet (1000m). looks like the temperature has returned to more suitable lows especially with wind chill, more snow due on monday hope theres even more for my arrival on the 13th wothout any freeze-thaw conditions! fingers crossed.
snow conditions
6 to 8 inches of fresh snow this morning in Les Gets. Lots of people out, but no lift queues. A mix of sunshine and cloud, with some more snow at lunchtime, clearing by 2pm. We skied Tulipe and Sautenailles, both under the Ranfolly chairlift, and lots of the off piste in between. Superb. Then followed the powder down the edge of Gentiane, and made the mistake of sking a run I'm normally very keen on, Orchis, the red under the main Chavannes Express lift, down through the trees between the pylons. The powder had already been pushed away, leaving treacherous patches of very hard and slippery ice. Other than this, it was all dreamy.
Over to Mt Chery, watching all the young ones doing the Fleche timed slalom. We skied the reds Chamois and Epervier, taking in as much off the soft and fluffy off piste as we could. Cold wind and sunshine. Skied right down to the village on Chamois, all the mud now covered, good fun. An excellent day's skiing.
Minus 6 degrees C outside at village level now.
snow conditions
Well, the temperature dropped and we woke to 10cm on the car. Given how much it had been raining, there was a lot more up top.

Prior arrangements meant that we headed over to Nyon, rather than up to Avoriaz - possibly a mistake as I got a text from zzz mid-morning saying that Avoriaz was "like a Warren Miller film" snowHead snowHead

But, it had to be said, Chamossiere was none too shabby though and there was enough around the black and shoulders of the red to keep us amused.

The best experience of the day shows that it pays to be kind. We stopped on some off-piste to check that ESS instructor was ok as he'd lost his ski. It turned out the only reason he was stood there was that he was annoyed with himself - he knew exactly where the ski was. Our kindness was repaid the next time up the Chamossiere chair. When we got to the top he came over and said to follow him. "Je sais. Je sais"... was all he'd say. He traversed skier's left above the left along the ridge line and led us to an awesome little powder bowl I didn't know existed. There were three tracks in it. All his. Trace said that it would have been perfect if the sun was out. "Le soleil est dans mon coeur aujourd'hui mes amies" said the ESS chappie as he proceeded to lay down some tracks for me to powder 8 down. He was sixty if he was a day. Epic snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi PhillipStanton, where are you staying to have got rain? It went from nothing to snowing last night in Chatel? BTW, are we going meet up for that elusive ski this year? PM me to let me know when you're around. That lil bowl sounds like fun....

Ed
snow conditions
The snow is looking superb, and once again, the little old Portes du Soleil is recording significantly better snow depths than many of the more famous resorts. As of today, Val d'Isere is reporting 150cm at 3000 m, whereas Chatel has 155cm at 2200, and Avoriaz has 220cm at 2460...

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 9-03-08 17:09; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Anyway, what am I doing posting on forums????? The sun is out and there is powder to be tracked...
ski holidays
Snowmonkey, Yes some of us are looking at no snow and a windy day
snow report
Just had a great morning - perfect snow - perfect skies - great company - my only complaint has to be that is was REALLY BUSY in Avoriaz.

We headed to Champery by the Grand Paradis - must be done when fresh snow on the trees!

Should be quieter tommorow so off to have a look elsewhere..
latest report
Took the bus to Mt Chery today. Sundays are v busy in the Chavannes/Ranfolly/Rosta/Turche sectors of Les Gets, as hundreds of people drive up here from Geneva and the valleys. The car parks are solid by mid morning and the road by the Chavannes Express lift bottlenecked with people trying to get into the underground car park, park on the pavement etc. It always seems to be sunny as well, which makes it even busier. My tip is to get over to Mt Chery which is always so much quieter. No queue at the bubble, and beautiful skiing in sunshine. Excellent lunch at the Grande Ourse. PhillipStanton, the menu there gets better and better! Sat on the chairlift watching the ski clubs practice the slalom. All pistes in good condition and some great powder down through the trees towards Mt Caly.
Next week (after Feb 9th) is the busiest week of the year. I'll be bussing to Mt Chery again.
ski holidays
Monday morning - snow started at 8.30am French time. Stuck in now, snowing heavily, a couple of inches already. Visibility closing in a bit. Will report later, going out at lunchtime for a ski. Temperature at village level 3.6 degrees C.
snow conditions
Thanks for the info Snowzebra, looks great on the Les Gets webcams.

Keep us updated.

Cheers.
snow report
Still chucking it down in Chatel!
ski holidays
snowzebra, I wonder if we saw you yesterday up Mont Chery ?. We got back late last night but had some great skiing. Thurs and Fri great skiing on the pistes of Chatel and Avoriaz and some great fun down the sides of the Prolays and Les Tannes down into Lindarets bowl. Saturday very bumpy runs around Chatel with all the new snow and not bashed -- not so good on my old knees ! Sunday - fantastic. Went up to Point de Nyon. Did the Aigle 3 times with out passing anybody else on the run, nicely bashed and very fast !! We then did Chamossiere, Ranfoilly. Nice big bumps again on the black Myrtiles which again gave my knees grief. Do you guys really enjoy those sort of runs? Anyway, as [b]snowzebra says all around the Chavannes was VERY busy, so we went across to Mont Chery and found it to be pretty quiet in comparison. Again had a great time and some great fun on the jumps in the snow park --- You don't have to go fast to have a good time.

Just one recommendation --- The Marmottes restaurant at Lindarets --- fantastic, great pizzas Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
SP1R1T, glad you had a good time... you can now join me in post ski trip gloom! Unless you've got another trip planned this year?
ski holidays
ski-finder, Gloom not set in as yet as legs still hurting and not back to work until tomorrow .... that's when the gloom will hit Crying or Very sad I am quite lucky as I can have another trip to PDS early March and then we have a big family trip with 20 of us to Obergurgl in April so still lots to look forward to Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy