Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
milnerhome,
Quote:

Are all lifts running today including the funicular?

Unfortunatley I'm back in work again today. Website says all uplift open and sun expected to shine though.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitegold wrote:

3. Cairngorm -- lots of snow, good potential, but disappointing. Huge liftlines, unreliable lifts, and seemingly understaffed. Feels more like a big hill than a mountain.

I think you must have been unlucky with your timing. I skied Cairngorm yesterday for the 16th time this season and even with the M1 and West Wall pomas broken the queues for most tows were very small.

The West Wall side of the mountain has some excellent advanced skiing but admittedly lacks the number of blacks available at Nevis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow Time wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

3. Cairngorm -- lots of snow, good potential, but disappointing. Huge liftlines, unreliable lifts, and seemingly understaffed. Feels more like a big hill than a mountain.

I think you must have been unlucky with your timing. I skied Cairngorm yesterday for the 16th time this season and even with the M1 and West Wall pomas broken the queues for most tows were very small.

The West Wall side of the mountain has some excellent advanced skiing but admittedly lacks the number of blacks available at Nevis.

Liftlines were 100 yards and 45 mins long at times on Easter Friday.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
im quite happy to give cgm stick but cmon it was Easter Friday, bluebird and powder, it was always gonna be rammed, add the train not running and cgm's lack of foresight made it worse, the Daylodge poma and cas were only 5-10 mins, it was the m1 that had the crazy queue.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geeo wrote:
im quite happy to give cgm stick but cmon it was Easter Friday, bluebird and powder, it was always gonna be rammed, add the train not running and cgm's lack of foresight made it worse, the Daylodge poma and cas were only 5-10 mins, it was the m1 that had the crazy queue.

A snowtrain that didn't run when it snowed.

Idle tows.

Frequent long breakdowns.

It was chaos.

Still had a great day on the hill, though snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I must admit, I don't like the train at all.. I'd much prefer a gondola and I believe this would allow the hill to still operate after heavy snowfalls, although the high winds cairngorm experiences would be a problem.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be fair the amount of snow this year has been exceptional. The only bit of the train that normally ever needs digging out is the area of the tunnel mouth. This is the first year that the snow has actually regularly covered large sections of the tracks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geeo wrote:

Should have been at Nevis, I didn't wait in a queue all day. All available uplift (apart from the Great Glen Chair and the Rob Roy tow neither of which access anything good) was running.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave Horsley wrote:
This is the first year that the snow has actually regularly covered large sections of the tracks.

long may it continue, dig monkeys dig Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
barry,

Yep, I'm hoping it happens every winter now Smile (I'm sure Colin would prefer it if the drifts reached to just below the top of the train track towers though).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold, do you not like slushy bumps? Did the East Lady then the White Lady on the way down today and the best and most entertaining bit by far were the slushy bumps on the lady - great stuff snowHead

BTW, 2 piste bashers spent the whole of today moving snow in the terrain park at the top and shaping 2 enormous kickers , for the Vans Dawn of the Shred competition tomorrow - should be totally awesome to see and the forecast is, wait for it, calm and sunny! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
calling all scots mags in the know....collecting my pro riders monday..whoot whoot..so dying to get them out..worth my taking the ferry over next week some time?? (i'll ski anything, any conditions, i'm not fussy)...if so, where's my best bet?? arv, i know you said nevis was good recently..still holding up??....

okbye
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold, currently working my way up your list, with Nevis planned tomorrow. So far in agreement.

1873Chris, Nice to see you on the hill today wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowpatrol, No idea... planning Nevis/Glencoe for Friday pending weather/conditions. Keep an eye on the Winterhighland reports section.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roga wrote:
Whitegold, do you not like slushy bumps? Did the East Lady then the White Lady on the way down today and the best and most entertaining bit by far were the slushy bumps on the lady - great stuff snowHead

BTW, 2 piste bashers spent the whole of today moving snow in the terrain park at the top and shaping 2 enormous kickers , for the Vans Dawn of the Shred competition tomorrow - should be totally awesome to see and the forecast is, wait for it, calm and sunny! Toofy Grin

roga, I love the bumps.

But Cairngorm is just too hill-like and unmountainous.

Enjoy DOTS.
latest report
arv, gotcha...

okbye
snow report
Whitegold, I dare say you'd be old and shrunk if you were 450million years old (or whatever it is)! Laughing
ski holidays
The Loch Morlich AWS might have caught a bit of sun stroke today, certainly should have busted the 20c mark, given Aviemore is on 19 at 6pm, but despite the sunbathers on the beach, suspect the 24c clocked mid afternoon is pushing it and might need to move the weather station a tad.

I do wonder if anyone on the beach was silly enough to dip their toes in Loch Morlich.... Shocked

Back to the snow and there's still fantastic top to bottom sliding on CairnGorm Mountain, extensive wide cover on the upper and mid mountain with plenty of off-piste expanses to explore. Some gullies seeing action further West in the Northern Corries and over the back on the South side of the 'Gorm down into the Loch A'an Basin - but beware of the potential risk of some full depth slides in prone locations, frightening crevasses have opened up on the Great Slab in Coire an Lochain:

Full size: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ibt42o4eAcQ/S787Mwde_rI/AAAAAAAABa4/fSAf9cxcut4/s1600/IMGP1897.JPG

(Photo by SAIS)

Within the Ski Area there is a seriously sized park setup in the Ptarmigan Park following today's Dawn of the Shread IV.

(Photos by CML - www.cairngormmountain.co.uk)

Still fantastic sport for more advanced riders in the Ciste Gully and on the East Wall, the main snow field of the West Wall is skiable from the Aonach Bowl which continues to be one of the picks each day. Plenty of options in Coire Laogh Mor as well, the Laogh Mor Return remains doable to the lower level Ciste Carpark with a couple of bits of heather hoping to 1800ft. Good cover on the Carpark Runs for sliding to the Daylodge and the M2/Daylodge route is also complete to the Cas Carpark, though narrow in places, best snow on the Daylodge is skiers left of the poma.

Out West there's great cover on the top half of the mountains. Main Basin, Spring Run and the Wall are offering the best sliding at Glencoe, good spring snow up top, slightly sticky lower down. All uplift will run if demand.

At Nevis the Summit, Goose and Warrens areas have wide cover, stick in Goose Gully till the bottom of the T-bar then cut across. Amusing people on the Webcam because there is absolutely no snow visible anywhere near the Quad Chair, but despite that the Allt Sneachda remains complete to the bridge on the road by the Top Station (it's completely hidden from view on the webcam).

The Braveheart was running today offering up some amazing spring sliding for advanced riders under unbroken sunshine, it's expected to open on Sunday, but check the latest with ski patrol.

The Lecht continues to have most main runs complete with a generally full width cover between the fences, though a couple of worn patches appearing in the usual spots on the steep pitches of the Grouse and Snowy Owl. Number of lifts depends on demand. Excellent beginner areas.

Last but not least, Glenshee where Sunday is the final day of the 2010 season, so your last chance to head up the Sunnyside Pomas and onwards and outwards to carve up the spring snow fields of Meall Odhar and Glas Maol. Centre Gully has been skiing beautifully by all accounts, and I'm gutted to have been unable to get over today due to car trouble. Sad
snow conditions
Beautiful sunny day at Glencoe today, it was 17C at 5pm when we got back to the car. They have lost a lot of snow lower down, the only way I saw to ski back to the access chair was down the plateau poma up track however the top of the mountain was in lovely condition. Mainly did the Main Basin and Spring Run all day, Etive Glades was harder first thing but nicer later on. Still plenty of skiing left Smile
latest report
david@mediacopy, it was nice to see you on the hill aswell

Did you head up to Nevis yesterday?

Me and my brother headed up and had a great day, although the goggle tan lines i have today are legendary Laughing
Skied the goose the majority of the day cos we couldn't be bothered with the trek out form the over the back but some of the snow on the east wall of the goose was beautiful high up and there were very little tracks on it till much later in the day

Hoping to try and head back up on tuesday Very Happy
snow report
Loch Morlich, near Cairngorm, was registering 23c on Sun afternoon.
snow report
how do you all think a week on satuday is shaping up? still worth the trip up?
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, take a bike as well wink
snow report
1873Chris, Yep, we were up there until about 4 or so. I took the same view as you and didn't bother with the back, although I was sooo close to dropping in via Chancer, but the prospect of the walk out and time on the chair put me off.

Goose was nice once it softened up, although I only ended up on the East side towards the end of the day Sad We skied 'Warrens' a couple of times thinking it was the best way down, but then i discovered the patch running down to the bottom of the chair.

Back home now, so no more till next year now Crying or Very sad
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, I skied Cairngorm Fri and Sat. Wide cover and depth of snow although getting soft in the mild weather. I found it heavy going but I AM getting older Blush and fussier. But if you're fit, strong and keen go for it - they're intending to continue into May. Bear in mind you'll keep repeating a limited number of runs but if you don't mind that it's OK. Forecast to get colder next week so maybe more snow. I deliberately booked at the last minute when I was fairly certain about the weather - it's not much fun in wind and rain IMO which isn't unusual up there but who knows. Regards. Smile Smile
snow report
certainly going to be a last minute one should i go. Skiing in heavy wet snow and rain isnt fun, been there before in Avoriaz!!! A dusting of fresh snow is foecast for Friday possibly so who knows.
snow conditions

^Blazing sun and superb granular Spring Snow. The Spring Run at Glencoe sums up Sunday. snowHead

I think I need to go higher than factor 30, amazing day on Glencoe, snow slightly sticky lower down but the upper mountain was in fantastic shape. Bumps forming in the Main Basin, but further out on Happy Valley over towards Etive Glades, or on various unusual lines on Rannoch Glades and between there and the Main Basin smoother spring snow that you could crank it up on.

Spring Run had superb snow today, probably the pick of the day - but a difficult choice. The Wall is actually skiing very well and hardly anyone using it because the approach back to the lower T-bar is very narrow. Plateau Poma track is holding up well despite everyone skiing down it at the end of the day in the warm sunshine, so no problem getting to/from the main area on snow.

^Skiers on the Main Basin, bumps building next to the tow, flatter further out skiers left.

More Glencoe pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=633

See www.winterhighland.info and the public reports for lots of pix from CairnGorm Mountain and more photos from Glencoe on Saturday.
ski holidays
Quote:

But Cairngorm is just too hill-like and unmountainous
Puzzled

As the doctor said to the man with a red flower growing from his w1lly......"Poppycock!!". As others have stated, the west wall and beyond - into Coire Laogh Mor - are superb and (IMO) very mountainous. In fact Coire Laogh Mor is up there as one of the steepest off piste runs I have ever skied in about 135 ski areas worldwide. It's just fantastic Very Happy. Last Saturday (10.4.10) up there was just incredible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
with gulley skiing season upon us, lots of TR's now appearing over on WH showing exactly how mountainous the area is. See recent action in Sneachda in particular, outwith the "resort" but remember that the area is made up of two main high sub-arctic plateaux areas, with 5 of the 6 highest mountains in the UK. Sheer altitude and no glaciers aside, these are proper mountains. If further proof were required, check out last weeks colossal avalanche round Glenshee on the SAIS blog (80 ton snow boulders, and 4m crown wall) Shocked Shocked
Maybe inside the rope it doesnt always feel like that, but there is life beyond the rope wink
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Cairngorm -- seemingly understaffed

Earlier this winter I went into the Ptarmigan Restaurant, and there were 3 lads at the servery speaking amongst themselves. I asked one for a bacon roll, and all 3 then proceeded to put it together for me! One got the plate and held it out, the second delivered the bun, while the third shovelled in the bacon! I couldn't believe it. This is not including person number 4 that brought the bacon from the kitchen to the servery just before I arrived, or person number 5 that actually sold the thing to me. I mean, FFS! rolling eyes
ski holidays
barry, I'm probably about to embarrass myself but what are TR's and WH
snow conditions
TR = Trip report
WH - WinterHighland.info, a scottish outdoorsy website
snow report
Sorry Phil_D, and not at all! My bad wink
snow conditions
Does anyone know how much a season pass is at the nevis range? including summer biking uplift?
snow report
mailto:info@nevisrange.co.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 1397 705 825

Pretty sure II has a season pass, might be worth a PM.
snow conditions
milnerhome, I paid £195 for my ski season ticket which I can use in the summer on the gondola.

A day pass for a bike was £19 last year and you get a 50% discount with a season ticket

You can also get a none ski season ticket for about £40 which will also get you a 50% discount on the bike ticket....

This is last years info so the prices may have changed...

HTH
snow conditions
Enjoyed a top weekend - still recovering! You've got to love Scotland in April. Best time of the year.

First (Saturday) it was a 9 hour ski tour in the Cairngorms, taking in four different grade 1 (ice climbing grade) gullies along the way. Most of them in the back bottom end of the...- sorry, I mean in the heart of the national park! wink Two of them were new to me, the other two I was pleased to be able to repeat.

Cairngorms installment can be seen here (there's 3 pages of pictures):
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/misc/3/nc/10apr10/

Myself dropping into Pinnacle Gully above Loch Avon:

Finishing the day on Aladdin's Couloir (Coire an t-Sneachda):

And on Sunday it was a return to Carn Mor Dearg, the hill that is most prominent infront of Ben Nevis as seen from Nevis Range. Managed to boost round in time to head up the lifts for a descent of Easy Gully to round off the day. Great way to cap off a perfect weekend in Scotland.

West Highland installment can be seen here (again there's 3 pages of pictures):
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/misc/wh/10apr11/

Myself descending the main bowl of Carn Mor Dearg:

And me heading down Easy Gully at the end of the day:

Until next time everyone... wink
ski holidays
II,

Thanks, something to think about.. although with what season we've had this year their won't be any snow next year rolling eyes

Ski-cross 17th April at Caingorm mountain..
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=105228689513355&ref=mf
snow report
firstracks, as good as it gets anywhwere Very Happy
ski holidays
firstracks, thanks for the pictures.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy