Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Winter 2008-2009

Poster: A snowHead
oh sorry, one more question... we have never stayed in a Chalet before, only apartments. What does it mean by half board? — is this just dinner? Also what would the differences be between a chalet and a hotel?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
j1983m, it never fails to amaze me how many people book holidays without actually bothering to look at what they're getting.

Half board is breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner. You might get hot breakfast, tea can consist of anything from just cake to soup, bread, jams, cakes and biscuits, and dinner could be three courses, or you could get aperitifs, canapes and cheeseboard as well. You may wish to consider looking at the company's website (a radical idea, I know, but just give it a go - you might like it).

Chalets are smaller than hotels and usually run by one or two staff, neither of whom is likely to be a qualified chef.

And you will find it here: http://www.neilson.co.uk/Snow-France-Les-Deux-Alpes-Neilson-Chalet-Christiania-Accommodation-Information.aspx Brief perusal of Panorama's rather rubbish website reveals that the chalet is actually run by Neilson.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard wrote:
j1983m, it never fails to amaze me how many people book holidays without actually bothering to look at what they're getting..

Now now. Bad day at the office ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jonty, she doesn't need to have a bad day to bite yer 'ead off... Toofy Grin

Lizzard, Pretty Please, but which spa (not spar wink )would you recommend in Resort - if any... I have looked at both les deux alpes websites and I have googled and i have used the search.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, I must say I was surprised at the scale of "afternoon tea" when we were HB in Tignes. I had expected a cuppa & biscuit or a token tiny bit of cake, but what we got made lunch superfluous. What made it more surprising is that HB in a summer holiday context is just B&B plus evening meal.

red 27, I also am interested to know what decent swim/spa options there are so I know if it's worth bringing the cozzie.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, you get access to the pool with your lift pass but I haven't been yet, probably should have to ease my legs after the last big dump.

It has cleared up a lot over the last day and a half although it's still windy at altitude some of the pistes have gone a bit hard from the wind, not icy but you appreciate a sharp edge. Although there's still plenty of softer stuff to be had where it's a bit less exposed.

I'd like more snow, but then I'd always like more snow Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to investigate the pool and report back on what it has to offer!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Butterfly, Ha I will before you get here although I do have a mortal fear of speedos.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As previously mentioned the wind was nasty at altitude but not enought to close the top Jandri Express. I douns some really nice snow on Toura and particularly on the top part of Posettes, but a spot of hardpack was lurking in wait for me near the bottom of the Valentin. Shocked aarrrrrgggghhhhhh. the first this season - how annoying is that?

Pic looking over at Toura today, but also, just for Butterfly 2 pix, at nightime of the Lutins Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, thanks!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski,

Good times
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Very Happy got to get the first one out of the way sometime... "Hardpack" eh? whatever you say... wink

Butterfly, Surely no point in the cossie - this is Europe they will all be starkers! Or is France not part of that strange Euro nudity cult? There was a place in Davos where they had security staff to apprehend anyone (mostly Brits) who had the sheer prudishness to dare to wear anything - ordered to strip on the spot most of the poor lambs left with their ..er.. tails between their legs and the occasional ones who did stay only managed 10 minutes of cringingly self concious towel origami before scuttling out

Before you ask, yes I am going back again this year Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I had expected a cuppa & biscuit or a token tiny bit of cake, but what we got made lunch superfluous. What made it more surprising is that HB in a summer holiday context is just B&B plus evening meal.

That's one of the big arguments for a chalet, especially with kids. Compared to a B & B or living in a hotel you save heaps of money. In small chalets you can often take your own "duty frees" and buy mixers and cold beers from the staff (they make a few extra bob that way). Convivial evenings in the chalet, after a meal with free "plonk", rather than going out to a pricey bar.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27,

Been to a chalet 2 times. Great value, but I did get cabin fever and was dying to get out to the bar to see other folk!"!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnboy,us too.
latest report
johnboy, Helen Beaumont, oops sorry I deleted mine, as I thought we were drifting OT, although I guess that's hardly the first time that's happened!
ski holidays
red 27, Speedos are compulsory in the swimming pool. There is also the tanking centre with sauna, jacuzzi and sensory deprivation tanks for your enjoyment. Very Happy
snow report
easiski wrote:
.....sensory deprivation tanks for your enjoyment. Very Happy

Why do the lads need those? I thought they got sensory deprivation in other ways Wink

On a more serious note, is the pool etc ALL included in the lift pass or is it just swimming? If so are the other activities expensive?
ski holidays
easiski, ta...

Butterfly, oi! Toofy Grin
latest report
Butterfly, the pool and the skating rink are free with your liftpass, but the tanking centre isn't. they give a discount though when you show a 6 day pass. Very Happy

It's been a lovely day, but clearly quite windy high up. It seemed slightly wierd watching the awful weather in St Mortiz and Val Gardena when we were basking in sunshine. I don't know whether to be jealous of them or not. Puzzled I wasn't up the mountain today, but we might hear later from Swirly, Gorilla, Vocal Bill or Rayscoops. Nice photo of the sunshine on this end of the face but check out the snow being blown off the top of the Tete Moute.

BTW I apologise for the slightly dodgy colours these days. I'm finally using the phone rather than the camera, but it doesn't handle the glare well. I am desaturating the colours a bit to make them more realistic, but they still come out a bit dodgy. Sad
latest report
Woo they opened out side of the mountain, despite being lied to by a lifty this morning who said no chance today due to the wind so I went ski shopping with my current Alskan flatmate who was staying o/n before meeting up with a group later toady. On getting back for lunch all the chairs were open so I didn't eat and slapped the board on. It's still windy and I shared a lift with a liftie on his off day who said expect more tomorrow but it should then improve. Snow wise it was variable, theres some exposed ground/stones in patches and some hard scraped stuff (still not ice though), I also met for the first time slush which surprised me so much I fell over! By then end after the sun had gone over the ridge it quickly formed a crust to.

However, I also scored some powder and tracks today and have a few stahes on the go for tomorrow, happy days.
latest report
Kicking Smile
latest report
actually all the gondola and eggy things were shut even from the resort but I noticed a chair open on the other side of the mountain at the beginning of the resort and got some fresh tracks on the side of the piste, so a good day really even though the glacier side was mostly shut. I must get a piste map so I can quote lifts and pistes Smile
snow conditions
Today was very sunny and warm and pleasant, but it was really quite windy at the top of the Petit Cretes, so I dread to think what it felt like higher up. Inevitably the snow has got harder where it's been wind polished, but due to the higher temperatures it quite soft (almost but not quite slushy) lower down. the Cretes was nice soft slightly windblown snow from below the restaurant, and the Valentin was fine at the bottom. It was boiling hot on the nursery slopes in the afternoon, but cooled down quite quickly when the sun got lower. By the time I finished at about 17.15 it was almost dark.

Pictures today looking up towards Sapins (both sides of the trees) and 'Y on the right which they are leaving to moguls this year, and a pretty sunset over ADH.
latest report
easiski, Swirly, Sounds like I might get my most very favourite conditions for NY week then, slick, quick, unforgiving hardpack.

Oh Joy! Skullie
snow conditions
Today...........

R32 & Ex.pat Family
ski holidays
R32, looks great there today, I am not jealous at all Shocked
but I may be lying a little wink
enjoy your holiday Very Happy
ski holidays
R32, Great stuff - what a week to be there! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sorry no report yesterday - too busy. Have photo and will post later. Sunny though - looking good today.
snow report
Been good today, still no photos from me, promise to take the camera tomorrow.

Some pistes are a bit stony on my side of the hill (no surprise it gets a lot of sun) however, I took some mates up and got two long runs with powder, almost 10 *days after the last snowfall!! * probably wrong, it's so long I can't remember rolling eyes It's due to cool and there may be a break down on boxing day but I'm not too hopeful of much snow. It was 12 degrees on my balcony today (faces the sun) at 1.30, still couldn't get the washing dry though mmmm frozen boxers.
snow report
Left L2A today and at the airport they made me open up my board bag !! not sure if they were looking for some dodgy stuff or just checking to see if I had an extra board in there !

Yesterday the pistes were holding up really well in general Very Happy and a good day was had all over the mountain.
latest report
rayscoops, last winter when we where there in March they started to give people a hard time with there luggage, loads of people having to pay extra, I can only think they will come down harder this year with the present economic climate, GRRRRR pesky budget airlines, cant do with em but cant do without em.
ski holidays
Hot and sunny, snow OK and holding up, but some of the exposed and/or lower slopes are beginning to show signs of wear. Had a few of the guys down last night for drinks, good to see you all and Paul McK and Rayscoops are now back at home. Sad

Pix looking up the Posettes top section after taking 3 of the Ex Pat family down it yesterday, and pic of the Petit Viking nursery slope today.
snow conditions
A day out in Alpe d'Huez........

40 Euros for 2 beers, 1 lemonade, 1 diet coke, 2 cokes & Kir Shocked Shocked
Needed another drink to recover from this, but couldn't afford it!!!!!

Nice weather, great skiing, even better prices!!
ski holidays
R32, didn;t you notice that 2 x 2 serieux had different prices????? Wondered where you lot were - the pistes were much quieter yesterday. wink wink
snow report
a few pics from over the last 5 days

a bit of soft stuff on Wednesday

Lutins

and some from the glacier restaurant

snow conditions
wow - easy to see the effect of the wind in those shots!
snow conditions
red 27, I think it is just my cr@ppy phone camera, it was windy though wink
latest report
rayscoops, well I am too polite to mention that your photos aren't quite up to the 123_456 standard... wink (still very welcome though!)
snow conditions
I have just come across this - a Google Earth.kmz download of LDA in winter - interesting, especially when you tilt it at the top of the glacier. I am not sure it's 100% accurate though. The Jandri express seems to start a bit too far from the buildings & is Puy Salie 2 a green - I thought both sides were blue?

http://www.2alpes.com/pages/en/35/the-ski-area.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy