Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Although Les Saisies has a good snow record other parts of the Espace Diamant (notably the Arly Valley) less so. The key problem for both the Evasion Mont Blanc and the Espace Diamant is lack of high altitude skiing and no amount of new links will solve that problem. There has been talk of a link along the Arly Valley between Megeve and Praz sur Arly for years and years. That's a short distance compared to linking Les Contamines and Les Saisies. That would tie Megeve into the Espace Diamant (though I think the former would be the main beneficiary). But would leave Les Contamines out, obviously.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Origen, The distances look about the same to me. You could build a lift up to the bottom of Bellasta from somewhere in Belleville.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
j b wrote:

Do keep us updated if you get more emails.

Shall do. I spoke with some friends in the village and they'd not heard about it so they're off to do some sleuthing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
j b wrote:
Fascinating @NoDosh. I found I couldn't get beyond the first page of your link without filling in the questionnaire - it didn't actually say anything about the project. .

I completed the survey & it does give you more info (a map of the proposed gondola on piste map) half way through the survey, they are not planning anymore pistes, just a big gondola linking the two area at there closest points
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonny996, that got me pulling out my maps. That closest point would seem to be the bottom of the Col chair on the Hauteluce side to an Espace Diamant chairlift on the side of the valley (Bellastat). It would be a bit of a trek from Les Contamines town, or as far as I can see the entry points of Espace D, so the benefits would be fairly balanced though there might not be huge amounts of traffic.

I do see that a link from Megeve to somewhere in Espace D would be of bigger benefit to Megeve, though Praz sur Arly might then seem less like the very end of the ski area. However it would require Megeve to improve the lift connections on the Rochebrune ridge and that seems to be in never-never-land.

Ditto a direct link between Megeve and Les Contamines (presumably a two-way cable car from the bottom of the Cote 2000 chair up to Aiguille Croche but that would need updates on the Les C side too.

Anyway, I should do that survey and find out for myself.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Espace Diamant / Les Contamines link has been on the cards for ages - isn't that part of the reason for Les Saisies creating the Bellasta sector / chair, as a first link in the chain with such a high capacity lift?

Somewhat surprised it still hasn't been derailed by environmental concerns / protests though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I received that email and have completed it. My understanding is that the liason would be lift only (no piste).

My feedback was generally positive although I expressed two concerns:

1. will it just make Les C even busier in a poor snow season? That would not be attractive to me as a primarily Les C client
2. In peak periods, will queues at the Les C lifts from the valley first thing in the morning mean that we frequently are short of time to take advantage of the scope of Espace Diamant and would this issue mean that you need to debottleneck those lifts for us to get value from the bigger lift pass
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

will it just make Les C even busier in a poor snow season?

I would think that a link over from Megeve would have more of an effect from that point of view.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jedster, On your point 2, there is probably a need to upgrade Douce/Grattary in Les Saisies to a detachable chair, maybe Brichou and Roche Blanche as well, or you just move the bottlenecks elsewhere.

I stopped the survey on the page where it was asking what I would be prepared to pay for a 6 day pass, I don't have an answer as I would still buy a season pass.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Origen wrote:
Quote:

will it just make Les C even busier in a poor snow season?

I would think that a link over from Megeve would have more of an effect from that point of view.

Agreed but I don't think that is on the agenda
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeah - I just stuck something in for that - at the low end - even though I'd probably buy a season pass too. The area would be big but not of the quality of VdI/Tignes (which is the comparisonthey offered) so should be a chunk cheaper I think.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good point @jedster, presumably the business case for a link would be around increased numbers buying lift passes - but the limited capacity of the Montjoie gondola is already causing queues in the French school holidays.

But once up there is rarely a big problem with queues, that hypothetical Megeve link would provide a separate entry point so extra numbers could be absorbed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are there ever significant delays in Belleville? Not when I've been to Les C, but that was never in the French school hols. A frequent bus shuttle service from Hauteluce to Belleville might be far cheaper than a huge new lift.

I suspect a new lift won't happen - I don't see that there's enough in it for either end, as the top areas of both the Espace Diamant and Contamines have the best snow for miles around!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Espace Diamant lift company is sending out emails with a link to the survey too, got one this morning.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ve never skied the espace diamant, is it worth a day trip?
snow report
@Jonny996, absolutely! I would rate it marginally ahead of Megeve / St Gervais (excluding Les Contamines) I think for interesting runs, though the lift system is worse. It's similar sort of terrain though.
ski holidays
Quote:

I’ve never skied the espace diamant, is it worth a day trip?

Yes. It's the size of Kitzbuhel and a lot bigger than Les Contamines.
ski holidays
I worry that a link between Bellasta and Belleville would just increase development in the valley. it's nice right now but if there were access to both stations some of the meadows might be more attractive as housing projects.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy