Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I ask a winter tyres question?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to the Stubai Glacier on 27th April - do I leave the winters on, or change to summer before I go?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RobinS, If you are taking the car on the glacier then I would definitely leave them on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Legal requiremenet from 1 November to 15 April in Austria in snowy conditions so not a necessity but I've had snow on glaciers in June so personally I will be leaving my winter tires on until May just in case.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's like 25C here at the moment (about an hour away), I really think you'll be fine. Plus do you really want to drive from England with winter tires.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dulcamara wrote:
do you really want to drive from England with winter tires.

There won't be much left of them by the end of a drive out from the UK unless there is a sudden (very) cold snap.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I left my winters on all year very little noticeable difference, I guess the better quality pays off....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually, decent winter tyres can be used year round.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

dulcamara wrote:

There won't be much left of them by the end of a drive out from the UK unless there is a sudden (very) cold snap.

Really? How quickly do you think they wear?

Although the advice to change to summer tyres I would accept.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would leave them on, I have had snow down to the Tux valley in June on each of the times I have been to Hintertux.

I haven't noticed even cheap ones wearing down particularly quickly during the summer but will probably swap mine over next week.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tire wear is a wierd one, I did the England-Austria slog about 5 times on a set of super cheap snow-mud tires, pretty loud but no degradation at all, one summer on middle grade winter tires and they were not looking so happy.

generally the locals are pretty good at clearing roads round here, sure summer tires will be fine,

just noticed a predicted (admittedly by the ever optimistic bergfex website) 50 cm of snow over the next 2 days on the glacier. you may be in for a treat
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beequin wrote:
Really? How quickly do you think they wear?
I leave mine on the 4x4 all year round and I get around 30k miles per set, just like I would with summer tyres. They do wear slightly more easily but then they start off with more tread. Vredestein Wintrac 4xtreme is the way to go in my experience.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I leave mine on the 4x4 all year round and I get around 30k miles per set, just like I would with summer tyres.

My experience too, even with Marangoni, hence the question. (Meteo HP)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 18-04-13 12:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

even with Marangoni
don't like getting pasta on my wheels.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whe I was looking into getting winter tyres I was told that they would be noisy and less precise while cornering (in none icy conditions!)

What are yourexperiences of this?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a little more road noise, perhaps 10-15% cf Michelin Primacy HP. Not noticed any particular performance issues, nor do tests indicate a lot of problems.

I would add that the year I left the winters on for the summer was one where money for replacements was tight and the old sumer tyres had reached the end of their legal life. I do intend to change the tyres over this weekend now that Spring has arrived.
snow report
No wear, noise or cornering problems with my winter typres. I just find that they are less stable at high speed than my wider summer tyres
snow conditions
Mine make no difference in noise, handle just as well, and are more comfortable (although this may be because they have a higher sidewall profile - on 16" rather than 17" wheels). I don't think they wear much faster than "ordinary" tyres. Oh and of course the "smug factor" in actually being able to go places in snow is worth every penny. Any day now I will be switching back to the summer ones.
snow conditions
I run my Nokian winter tyres winter and summer for the last 18 months as I was selling the car apart from being slightly noisier I noticed no difference other than better grip in the wet.

I also have a question. My new passat has 18 inch wheels. I'll be getting some steel wheels and winter tyres, the question is what size 16, 17 or 18? and how do you tell what's ok plus will it affect the speedo etc?

What happened to Tyremen, and did we ever get that discount code?
snow report
Any difference in the overall diameter will affect the speedo
See here for a tyre size calculator

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator
snow conditions
beequin wrote:
There is a little more road noise, perhaps 10-15% cf Michelin Primacy HP. Not noticed any particular performance issues, nor do tests indicate a lot of problems.

I would add that the year I left the winters on for the summer was one where money for replacements was tight and the old sumer tyres had reached the end of their legal life. I do intend to change the tyres over this weekend now that Spring has arrived.

I'm sure it will have been posted somewhere on here before but I thought this article http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Winter-Tyres-Real-World-Experiences.htm was really interesting. The writer found - as did I - that the winter tyres were actually quieter than the summer ones (I'm comparing Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetrics with Goodyear UltraGrip 8's). But his description of the winter tyres' wear rates and lack of grip on warm dry roads was disturbing - I'll stick to swapping them over, I think
latest report
jbob wrote:
I run my Nokian winter tyres winter and summer for the last 18 months as I was selling the car apart from being slightly noisier I noticed no difference other than better grip in the wet.

I also have a question. My new passat has 18 inch wheels. I'll be getting some steel wheels and winter tyres, the question is what size 16, 17 or 18? and how do you tell what's ok plus will it affect the speedo etc?

What happened to Tyremen, and did we ever get that discount code?

If you buy smaller wheels, make sure they fit over the brake calipers Shocked , that they are capable of taking the required load and (the difficult bit) that the offset is right for your car.
snow report
Quote:

I'll be getting some steel wheels and winter tyres, the question is what size 16, 17 or 18? and how do you tell what's ok plus will it affect the speedo etc?

Check on clearance for chains, but I have always stuck with keeping the same tyre size. You should also check this with your insurer, as a change of tyre size (or rating) could be a modification.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
My new passat has 18 inch wheels. I'll be getting some steel wheels and winter tyres, the question is what size 16, 17 or 18? and how do you tell what's ok plus will it affect the speedo etc?

Look in the manual for what the recommended winter wheel/tyre sizes are. Then *check* that that size will actually fit over your brakes - it's not just diameter you need to worry about but depth as well.

The views of various insurers on winter tyres and whether you need to inform them is documented here:
http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Consumers/General/Winter_Tyres__The_Motor_Insurance_Committment.aspx
snow conditions
DT68 wrote:
dulcamara wrote:

Mine went to Dordogne pulling a caravan in 30+c and were fine, very little wear. Like others here I leave them on all year round.
snow conditions
Thanks all, my Insurer is one of the ones that does not need to be notified. I have not needed chains in 8 seasons in the Alpes,a combo of 4x4 and winter tyres has always been fine although I did carry them around for a couple of winters! Looking in the manual is a no brainier, doh!

I have found a table of sizes

"A 195/65/R15, 205/55/R16, 225/45/R17 and 225/40/R18 all have the same outer diameter...the sidewall height is different."
Which mostly answers my question, just need to check clearances and make sure the rims are deep enought.
snow report
Yup still using them for a 130 mile commute no problems, no heavier wear. (Pirelli's).
snow conditions
jbob, If you can get them down to the 195/65/R15 size you can get those fairly cheap. I put Yokahamas on a couple of our cars and they performed very well. They are classed as a premium brand but are cheaper than some budget ones, and yes they are made in Japan and no they do not glow in the dark Very Happy You can get that size in 91T rating for £180 for four delivered from tyretraders.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy