Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aerials.... How to do em ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, want to add a few more skills, would like to learn how to do a 360 on the jumps and a Back Flip. I used to do high board and spring board diving when in my teens so know a wee bit but would like to try this on Skis too Happy
Any thoughts, recomendations on where to go this summer in the UK fridges? It would be nice to get those 2 tricks under my belt before next season kicks in Happy Airports I can get to from BFS and BHD in "Norin Iron" are :- BHX, MAN, LGW, LHR, LBA and GLA .

Thanks, regards Andy Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a place called Area 47 in Oetztal Tirol, that has a big ski ramp into a swimming pool... Sounds like just what you want! They also run all sorts of other summer alpine activities, cheap camping, good partying, etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Clarky999, I'll have a wee nosey Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most of the indoor slopes have decent kickers which would be fine for learning 360s on. No real consequences if the landing is decent. You just need to commit to spinning, and spotting your landing. I'm sure your diving will help with both those.

A backflip is actually alot easier than most spins, once you commit to it. A nice steep kicker with a powder landing is a great place to learn, but I guess not much chance of that during the summer! An airbag, or water ramp facility like clarky999 suggests would also be good. (although the perceived safety net of a water or airbag landing can cause a bit of a mental block when trying to take it on to the snow)

With your diving background you'll have no problem learning either trick! (Of course, you are now obligated to post videos!)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Reading the thread title I thought this was going to be asking for advice on installing TV aerials, until I noticed it was in "The Piste" section..... Embarassed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Glaciers all have fun parks throughout the summer too.
Dachstein (Schladming) is tiny but has a good park run serviced by a T-bar.
Kitzsteinhorn has a large park open too.
clarky999, sounds fun!... may look into that!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flangesax, http://www.area47.at/en

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gloucester have a big air bag out every wednesday (subject to the weather):

http://www.gloucesterski.com/activities/big-airbag/default.aspx
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone remember the ski jump into the gravel pit at Theale, right next to the M4? It was there for years, but they probably took it down 15-20 years ago now.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AJQ, Mavericks have a great rep and (although I can't do either trick coz I haven't got the guts to try - though I've got a mean 180 forward & switch) I have seen others crack the 360 and more within a lesson (that's a one day camp). There's another outfit that do 'days' like Mavericks too - something begining with D. Someone'll fill that in soon, no doubt. They too have a great rep. I see both outfits at Hemel often. I'm sure you'd crack the 360 on a dedicated day.

Regarding the backflip specifically, my OH, Elston, trained on the trampoline first and that helped a lot - along with taking the opportunity to use an airbag whenever possible. One thing I notice (being more of a watcher on this subject) is that you want to 'land' the trick not just use the airbag/water to fall into. Sounds obvious but I see so many people launch themselve off the kicker with no regard for completing the trick because the bag is there.

Friday nights at Hemel are always park - year-round - so that should be a good summer solution.

Dryslope-wise, the best kicker for backflips is in Norwich. Try and get yourself to the Farmers Jam this year.

Alastair Pink, Laughing not your scene then wink - I still wouldn't mind having a go on your telemarks though Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
foxtrotzulu,
Quote:

Anyone remember the ski jump into the gravel pit at Theale, right next to the M4? It was there for years, but they probably took it down 15-20 years ago now.

yep remember it well, there was also one at Skew Bridge just out side Wellingborough, and the Daily Mail Ski Show at the NEC back in 1988 or was it 1987 built a massif water ramp into the lake, it was pretty scary steep at the top, you had to hold onto a rope with your skis across a narrow bit of dendix, then let go of the rope do a 90 degree jump turn to head down, reports were that the speed at the bottom was about 50 mph, it felt faster especially on little 150 skis! There was a full FIS Freestyle Ariel's competition on the last day, with jumpers from all over Europe made us Brits look a little silly at the time Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skew Bridge, back in the 80's awww it brings back many memories Very Happy

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks for all the replies guys, lots of good info here. Will definitely be looking into this further. clarky999 and livetoski, thanks for the photos too. snowHead

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 18-04-13 11:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, Impressive!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy