Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help completing my quiver!

Poster: A snowHead
I hope that you guys and girls can help me complete my ski line up!

Currently I have a set of Salomon SL Labs for hard piste work and icy conditions, amazing grip and great fun to ski hard on.
I also have a pair of Armada Alpha 1's for mucking about with the kids, jumps and general use.
I also have a pair of Icelandic Shamans which in reality are too small for me, I have never really hit it off with these, not sure why, but we just don't click!

What I am looking for is a replacement for the Shamans, something that will float in powder but also hold and edge and carve well on piste.

In reality my powder opportunities are few and far between, so what I am after is something that I can muck about on on piste with the kids and missus, but then jump into the deep when possible.

I currently do about 5 weeks a year, have been skiing for 37 years with a couple of full seasons under my belt.

Height 6ft 4ins
Weight 14 stone
Level Advanced

My style of skiing doesn't really suit super fats, being a weird mix of Old and Nu school.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Max
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chattonmill, Buy these quickly before someone snaps 'em up: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99948

Great skis & bindings which'd suit your stats perfectly at a bargain price.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, Thanks will have a look, being a size 13 I will have to have the binding refitted, not a problem.
Does anyone have any experience on these?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.exoticskis.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=232
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks!meandrew,
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a pair of 2012 Nordica Enforcer 185cm for sale. Sounds as though they would fill the gap perfectly. Currently mounted with large Marker Duke but would sell ski only if preferred. Only had two weeks skiing on them but I'm moving to a lighter setup with tech bindings next year now i've got the touring bug. Ski only £150.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TomDeSavoie, How much with Bindings?
Where are you based?
Thanks
Max
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What don't you like in the Shaman (besides the acid trip graphics which I assume is a given)? I've found it quite a cool design for a tightish radius sidecut with redonculous nose for crud and pow busting. Might help inform whether you want a straighter traditional type shape (like old Legend Pros etc) or a modern funshape. I'm leaning toward the former but if you had a Shaman in less than 184 you maybe weren't getting the full benefit.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MrI got the Cham 87s at Easter and really likes them. He found they had limitations going down Yeti at speed but loved them in all other conditions. Our instructor has a pair as his 'play' skis and also really rates them.

ETA - the guys at Berthet really rated them as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, I think it comes down to the shape, the spatula is just too big! I just never trusted them fully and found myself thinking more about the skis than my skiing! Maybe they were just too short for me.
I do like some shape to a ski, Rocker is nice but not essential. Really just a ski for the powder days that can hold it's own on the piste.
OK it's probably my 80's induced Austrian stance Embarassed
MeMyselfandI, I will have a look at these, thanks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cham series, check out Movements (I'd say Flyswatter but you'd probably go for a Trust or a SuperTurbo if you're really trad), Rossi S7 series have a lot of fans,
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chattonmill, have sent you a PM with more info.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Volkl Mantra?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chattonmill, Atomic automatics are good fun every where I've found can handle firmer conditions but really are fantastic in deeper snow I ski them all the time and love them snow and rock selling them cheap at the moment.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2012-2013-atomic-automatic-193cm
ski holidays
Katana or Cochise?

I've been really loving my Nordica Soul Riders recently, worth a look if you're thinking under 100mm, ski powder well enough but don't have the full surfy feel of a wider ski.
ski holidays
Go for the Storms, haven't tried that model but have skied several others (and still have 2 pairs) and they are cracking skis for the price.
latest report
Atomic alibi seems to get rave reviews and do what you want???

Currently on sale here http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/259390/products/atomic_alibi_2013_mens_skis_skis_only_.aspx
snow report
+1 for volkl mantras, good edge grip on piste, suitable for 14st/6ft4, demolishes crud & choppy stuff, 96mm underfoot for the deeper days...
snow report
davkt, You can buy them brand new off flea bay for 119 quid super cheap eh !!!! wink
snow report
I am very close to your 'dimensions' and after lots and lots of research using loads of different sources I came up with the Salomon Rocker 2 115mm width in 188cm. I find them to be absolutely fantastic (off piste) in all sorts of conditions, they are great on piste too. Atomic Automatics (193cm) are another top off-piste ski and very good on piste too. Previously I had a pair of Scott Punishers (191cm), the Salomon rockers are in a completely different class (for the off-piste stuff.)
snow report
Yep, and although he has stopped producing last time I spoke to him Andy David, the chap behind Storm has a few sets of various skis left at pretty much fleabay prices. Love my Rage Piplines as do anything from hardpack to powder skis and for fast piste skiing the Crossfires are ace!
snow conditions
JayDub, +1 wanted to try the 193 atomic but didn't in end as when the skis are next to each other the only difference is the nose is a bit longer and the trade off in agility / float wasn't worth it but I love mine .
snow conditions
I'm about the same size and ski history as you and have these for sale.

Old style build on powder width.
ski holidays
Chattonmill, .......spyderjon, is spot on.............. snowHead
snow report
Check out some of the Black Crows stuff, excellent skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy