Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Road to Tignes / VdI cut off by Avalanche this evening

Poster: A snowHead
Tried to post an image but it's massssssssive and breaks the page. Click link to story below.

My translation: Access to Tignes and Val d'Isère is currently impossible due to an avalanche at around 19:35 this evening (Tuesday) on the RD 902 at the entry to the Brévières tunnel. This area is often witness to avalanches and rockfall despite the installation of numerous avalanche barriers. At the moment it's unknown if there are any victims. The road is used very often given it leads to two of the main Savoie ski stations, which are still open for business.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/04/16/la-route-de-tignes-et-val-d-isere-coupee-par-une-avalanche
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow! Let's hope there was nobody under it. It's certainly a busy road. Not one I've driven very often and I don't enjoy it. It's bleak and miserable and people drive like nutcases along it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just read this - I am currently in Tignes so looks like we are cut off from the world! Can see police signs from where we are staying. Will post any further info we get. Saw 2 massive avalanches driving up here this afternoon. One lasted over 10 minutes and the other was the biggest I have ever seen.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Connected to the real world again!

Video from Radio Val:

http://webtvvaldisere.com/popup-pod.php?id=2483
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
was only up and down there twice last week on trips out from our base in Ste Foy.............
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
maybe that's why they all drive so fast down that road?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stefoy4me, yes but the isotherm was not at 3500 last week !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I hate driving that road too but mainly because im always scared of avalanches!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've driven up and down that road more times than I can recall and not once have I given even a first thought about avalanche danger, never mind a second thought. Local taxi drivers, on the other hand...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
weathercam...no it wasn t, but there were plenty of releases visible last week as it was still quite warm
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam wrote:
stefoy4me, yes but the isotherm was not at 3500 last week !

I think you'll find it was.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The road will also be closed today from 2.30 onwards as further avalanches will be set off to clear the remaining snow. How long depends on the amount of snow that comes down.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the isotherm was not at 3500 last week

it's at 3600 today, according to Meteo France. Rather lower last week, I think. IIRC the first really hot day was Sunday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DT68 ERK!
snow conditions
Road now open again
ski holidays
TheGeneralist, sorry but I've been out here beginning of March and keep a very close watch on freezing levels and the like as we have to when considering ski touring, as well as taking a keen interest in over night and morning temps, in fact it's not uncommon to go out at 06:30 in the morning and test the snow, to see if it's worth going touring or not as early starts are often a necessity, or just go back to bed.

And down here in the South as it's not as high as Tignes / Val etc it's even more important to us as if the level is 2800 that's just about as high as we climb to give or take a few hundred ms

In fact it has been a pretty rubbish spring so far with no prolonged periods of freeze / melt, but it is only this week we're we've seen such high values , hence the slides !

We timed it to perfection last Sunday though
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99908 Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy