Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens convenience ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've had a look through some old posts, and it would seem that things have improved with the new lift?

We are a group of 12 who stayed in La Tania last year with a 4 min walk to the piste, and able to ski back to the door. Obviously it will not be as easy, but the place I am looking at is less then 5 mins flat walk to the GM express where we can leave our skis and boots. Obviously we would need to come down on the Gondola at the end of the day too.

For a group that is used to ski in ski out, does this all become a pain, or is it potentially easier as there is no walking in boots?

What is the resort like? obviously its Lower, but most of the skiing is higher up, so I am not worried about snow cover in Jan, unless someone tells me otherwise!

Reading WTSS it would appear the lifts are a little out of date, but from looking at the piste map, it seems you can make most of your way round the GM on fast lifts and gondolas?

Basically and advice on the place as a whole would be much appreciated

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're renting equipment, or even most of you are this place www.xtremeglisses-samoens.com/ is a ghost shop 50m from the bubble and you can leave your gear there every night. It's actually really nice to walk back up to the town centre - maybe picking up a beer or 2 on route in your comfy street shoes.

We stayed with Debbie Truman - http://truemanalp.com/
They're an English couple and there accommodation is mostly about 100 meters from the bubble. Decent folk, decent accommodation and decent food. You could do worse.

The lift system all over the GM is pretty darn good IMO. you can sometimes queue slightly to get on the DMC (is that right) to get up top at Flaine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fifespud, Thanks for that, just what I was after. I am pretty keen on the place, and think it looks great for us, but always feel a bit of pressure when booking for a group!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi jonkgray78, we had a week in Samoens last March. 5 of us, 4 adults and 1 4 year old. Absolutely loved it. It's a great village, really picturesque. Some great restaurants, sightseeing bits and pieces. Ice rink in the village was fun too! We stayed in a private rental, in a hamlet just outside the village, so dependant on the car, but it was no hassle, big car park right at the main gondola. Next time we'd pick a place in the village though. The rental place fife spud mentions is really close to the base of the gondola. We rented from a big place right in the village square, but opted to rent a heated locker for storing skis and boots in a locker store at the top of the gondola (much better than lugging skis etc for us and the wee fella). Left our skis Also +1 re the walk back into the village, quite pleasant. A few of us enjoyed a walk back to village whilst watching c. 8 parapets flights landing in the field adjacent to the road. It's a great place, would really recommend it. Some great skiing, with masses of scope. The only (small) drawback for us was that we found some of the lift queues at Samoens 1600 (charande 1 i think) a bit tedious at the start of the day - I say 'start', what that meant for us was 10.10am after dropping off wee guy at ski school and joining the lift queue with all of the other parents, in the first week of March, during Paris school hols...... I'm sure it would be fine in January.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed in Samoens this March. Really enjoyed the skiing and except on our first day (a Sunday during the Paris school week) there was no problems with queues. Skiing was excellent, including the 12km run down to Sixt and the pistes in Sixt. Some of the accomodation is quite far from the GM Gondola so you wouldn't want to be walking it in ski boots. We stayed in the Petite Ourse Chalet run by Absolute Alpine and they gave us a lift down to the Gondola every morning and a return trip every evening except for the Chalet night off. We phoned when we'd got on the Gondola and the minibus arrived at the bottom about the same time as we did! I'd really recommend them - the accommodation, food and service were all top class and nothing was too much trouble for them. We've already booked to go back next year. For your group size have a look at the Grande Ourse Chalet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="jonkgray78"]I've had a look through some old posts, and it would seem that things have improved with the new lift?[/quote}

What new lift? The GM express has been there for at least 5 years.

<quoteObviously we would need to come down on the Gondola at the end of the day too.</quote>

Why? Other routes down as well.

For a group that is used to ski in ski out, does this all become a pain, or is it potentially easier as there is no walking in boots?

Well, that depends on how far your accomodation is from the list. Most (IOE) offer free shuttles, or the bus service is pretty good..

<quote>What is the resort like?</quote>

Proper French village. None of your purpose-built/expensive crap.

<quote>Reading WTSS</quote>

WTSS???

it seems you can make most of your way round the GM on fast lifts and gondolas?

Definately.

Basically and advice on the place as a whole would be much appreciated

Samoens is our prefered place to stay in the area - asuming you don't have to be in Flaine by 9am..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are used to ski to and from the door I'd recommend Les Chalets de Jouvence in Les Carroz (linked to Samoens, Morillon and Flaine). We had a fantastic week there in April this year. It was our first visit to the Grand Massif and we loved it all. Good variety of skiing, well groomed pistes and some very nice mountain restaurants.

Most of the lifts are fine. There are a couple of older chairs in particular Gentianes (Les Carroz to Tete des Saix) and Biollaires in Morillon but you can usually get other lifts to avoid them. Unfortunately one of the alternatives L'Airon was shut when we were there so we had to use Gentianes which was a bit of an experience.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowymum, L' airon is basically the same as gentianes without the corner....Gentianes has rather pleasant views...and my favourite run underneath Happy

This year was ok for jouvance in april, but often the drag outside is shut late season, and then its a walk up to the gondola past the weather station. so late season it is often not ski in or out.

jonkgray78, disadvantage with samoens (apart for tedious gondola ride down), is in bad weather tete des saix is usually shut which rather restricts the skiing.

RobW, Gondolas are the only way down for a lot of the time, old vercland bubble (unless there is good low snow when you can ski down to it) and then bus, or GM express or down to sixt on cascades and then bus again.

WTSS is the book where to ski and snowboard
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carroz - I realise we were lucky in April with the ski in and out. However jonkgray78 said he was going in January so assume it would probably be ski in and out then. The Gentianes is indeed scenic and the turn at the top is fun..I just didn't like getting on to it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowymum, opps missed the jan bit......L'airon is just as horrid getting on it, unless the lift person slows it down, or you put your hand back to stop it belting the back of your legs. They both always swing madly after getting on as well. There is a plan to replace both with one lift...one day perhaps.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobW, Thanks for the reply, very helpful. I am pretty confident everyone in our group will like it too. The new lift I was referring to is the Chariande Express. I believe progress from Samoens 1600 was slow before this was built a couple of years ago.

carroz, Is tete des saix often closed? I can see how this would restrict the skiing. I guess we would just bus it on those days.

We have now booked this place http://www.purechalets.com/Samoens/Chalets/Catered/ChezBobeau.html which is a 5 min walk from the GM express, and we can leave our kit at the lift

Thanks for all the advice
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jonkgray78, I think Carroz is rather overstating the bit about the Tete de Saix being often shut in bad weather. It can happen due to winds but is rarely closed all day.
You can bus to Morrillon (5 mins) for tree line skiing but you cant bus to Les Carroz. Stay positive. I was in Samoens for the whole season tis year and it wasn't closed on any day I wanted to ski! Having said that I am pretty sure that Carroz is more hardcore than me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy