Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which stats matter to you on the slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
Recon Man, I wouldn't want any stats in my HUD I'm not your target market. However, I would pay good money for something which could see through flat light and white out conditions to show me the slope and the gradient I was about to ski. I always envisage a grid of red lines projected onto the slope to show definition or something like that.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An indication of how many miles away Wayneo is would come in handy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have traditionally loved this sort of thing. I remember I had one f those triangular GPS armband things about 10 years ago that did most stats (albeit in a fairly cack-handed sort of way).

Over the last couple of years I have used the smartphone apps but become completely bored by them too.

So, in answer to the original question.......

1. The existing stats are already sufficient. Can't think of anything else.
2. As an early adopter of this sort of thing I can honestly say they are 100% gimmick and of no practical use.
3. How well do the goggles work on a sunny day? When you have stuffed them in your pocket and replaced them with the sunglasses you would rather be wearing anyway.

From my persective these goggles would be great being marketed for sex. Total duration, stroke speed, number of 'runs' in one day, colour of each run, time spent between each 'run', details for other resorts visited etc.

However, the same issues remain:
1. It's not really meant to be about just stats
2. You will bore/wee wee off the person you are with
3. You'll look like a gaper.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
foxtrotzulu, so for you, sex is just about stats? Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, Actually, I was trying to make the point that skiing (and sex) is not about stats at all. Maybe I phrased it badly!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Which stats matter to you on the slopes?

None.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
foxtrotzulu wrote:
3. How well do the goggles work on a sunny day? When you have stuffed them in your pocket and replaced them with the sunglasses you would rather be wearing anyway.

Sun-light and different lenses is probably why they can't incorporate an HUD just yet - how would it work on a very clear Oakley Hi-Yellow lens, for example? I've no idea how car manufacturers with HUD get around this, almost all the publicity I've seen for those seems to be night-time shots...

For your second point though, I think this is a generation gap thing and so not so much of a problem with target audience for hi-tech accessories. In my experience the vast majority of over 16 and under-30s wear goggles 100% of their slope time, regardless of conditions (I only say over-16 as it's the parents who'll be buying for youngsters, not leaving them much choice). It does seem that the older the skier the more likely they are to try and wear a helmet with sunglasses, but even with beanies, current fashion says wear goggles (try and find a recent ski video with a freestyler or freerider skiing in sunglasses).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, I guess you are probably right about the fashion for goggles. It does seem to be that way, although I can't see any particular logic behind it. Why would anyone want to wear goggles on a sunny day? I guess the helmet ruins your suntan anyway, so a pair of goggles does no further harm.

Then again, if the fashion for helmets is primarily among the under 30s, then that does limit the market for a $600 gimmick.

There's a good article here about the HUD goggles that seems to conclude that you are better off with a 99p app anyway.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57561649-1/skiing-showdown-gps-informed-goggles-miss-the-mark/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu, goggles keep the wind out better than sunglasses, they offer better protection from the sun, they fit more comfortably with helmets and are less likely to break into several pieces when you crash. It was the comfort thing that did it for me though - fed up with the arms digging in at the sides and constantly having to clean off the sun cream because a helmet forces them too close.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Goggles are warmer on really cold days. Little pocket of warm air around your eyes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57561649-1/skiing-showdown-gps-informed-goggles-miss-the-mark/

Yeh that's the Recon our man here is developing. Wish they'd stop calling it HUD seeing as it's just an annoyingly small screen (see my first post):

I want a real HUD projected back onto the Goggle lens itself; a smaller version of this:

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
presumably you could combine pico projector technology with the goPro / bullet cam style helmet top cameras - it could record video but at the same time bluetooth to your iphone / android phone, use its GPS and project the information onto the snow in front of you...

the tech is already there and the price would be about a third of the HUD systems... (though if you incorporated a video camera - it would cost more....)

would be very cool...

Alasdair
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There could be all kinds of applications that could help - ie, the virtual slalom poles could be good as in-built coaching aids. They could lead you down the fall line of a slope, helping you equalise your turns and keeping your body facing down.
BUT I would worry that the info onscreen will take your mind of the real world, and real people around you. I would add a sensor that cuts out screen information when someone, something is closing in, either before or behind.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Why would anyone want to wear goggles on a sunny day?

Because if you're boarding the wind zips straight across your eyeballs, which is uncomfortable.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, All just goes to show that I only ski, and only in March! Having said that I wore goggles every day in this year's awful weather.
ski holidays
Quote:

We have tweaked the arm to reposition the screen in many places, but to no avail. Have you any advice to rectify it, or improvements planned for future models?

Have you tested a the device in a different goggle brand? You shouldn't need to refocus your eyes when looking at the display. That being said, there can still be some minor blurring around the edges of the screen, which is an inherent problem of projecting a tiny image through a lens. This is something we're working on improving for next year.

Quote:

Probably a few iterations away, but what would be more interesting than stats would be some sort of augmented reality to highlight things such as:
- your friends' location on the mountain
- names and heights of mountains in view
- some sort of satnav function for fastest route home/to meeting place/restaurant with options for avoiding difficult pistes
- real time info on lift queue waiting times
Etc

But I guess most of this is a few years away and not viable until google glass or equivalent is widely adopted.

True augmented reality is still a few years out. But, alot of what you listed is actually closer than you think Smile

Quote:

I don't have any interest in looking at information while I'm skiing, nor am I interested in speed, number of runs, distance travelled, etc. But when I'm on a lift or stopped by the side of the piste it would be useful to consult a piste map, including my current location being marked, without having to fiddle with a folded bit of paper, as well as additional information such as

This is actually an existing feature we have on MOD Live already. But we are also adding to/improving this feature for next year. Stay tuned.

Quote:

More seriously, *accurate* slope angle, aspect, altitude and maybe a way to 'shade' aspects that have been wind-loaded (would need to tie in with avi forecasts), as you look at the slope, I guess could have some use, but it would have to be VERY well done...

Thanks, this is some great feedback!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy