Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 1950, very early season?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been there done that? Any tips gratefully received. I need a large 6 bed apartment with easy access and pool etc, Arc 1950 seems to fit the bill but its really hard to find detailed descriptions of apartments and where they are in 1950!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everywhere in 1950 is very convenient so it doesn't really matter which building you stay in. What building are you looking at? In general all the apartments are generously sized compared to typical self-catering apartments in France, and are well furnished with good facilities such as pools, hot tubs, etc. IIRC not all the buildings have their own pools, but I think those that don't have access to a pool in another building.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I want one with a pool in the building! rolling eyes Little Angel

What I really need to know are prices, I`d go for the best if I can afford it. I`ve not had any replies to emails yet though.

rob@rar I`ve just noticed your signature do you have any in 1950?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CaravanSkier, I'd telephone, if I were you. IME French places won't normally be focussing much on next season's lettings till June, at the earliest. Get in touch with them soon, before they go into inter-season hibernation.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think I`ll have to Pam, I don`t believe booking.com which claims all apartments are fully booked that week!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm, found an online price of under £2 000 but only for 4 beds, so not fully booked then rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you looked on ownersdirect? Would something their property reference FR9772 be suitable?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1950, like a lot of the Arcs accom is ran by P&V. Dec availability isn't showing on their official website as yet.

Non-P&V Edenarc in 1800's prob worth a whirl..

Went 1st week last dec to 2000, and other than having a lot of closures due to avalanche risk, didn't have any lack of snow or quiet slopes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Funnily enough I have just been on owners direct but was focussing on 1950, that one however might work in terms of view but its too small. I need 6 bedrooms or possibly two adjacent smaller apartments, a 3 bedroom and a 2 bedroom may work as the living room in the smaller one could be left as a bedroom. So long as the bigger one could accommodate us all 8 of us at the table and in the lounge. I also want a pool/spa
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do you really need to book it now? As others have said, a lot of owners/operators are not focussed on next season just yet, rather on closedown of this season and their interseason break. There's likely to be a lot more information and availability in a couple of months time. I don't imagine early December is going to get booked up months in advance.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CaravanSkier wrote:
rob@rar I`ve just noticed your signature do you have any in 1950?
Sorry, it's just the one apartment I have, in Arc 1800.

Do you want six bedrooms or six beds? Six bedroom self-catering apartments are, I'd imagine, quite rare.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its really strange because a lot of the chalets I`ve found have been booked already for that week, yet other accommodation does not even get listed for a couple of months. I remember last year I booked later and when properties supposedly just came on the market some weeks were already booked, hence note to self to get act together earlier!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suspect that in a lot of cases the chalets aren't 'booked' for customers that week, but for staff training and setup, though of course it depends on the company and resort. The company I have worked for this year had one chalet booked that week, one closed for a more extensive setup, one being used for staff training, one in a resort which wasn't open that week, and one bookable and in an open resort but not booked. Other operators in the area seemed similar.

Having said that, I can see that as Rob says, six bedroom apartments are going to be thin on the ground so it might be something of a niche market. 6 bedroom self catered chalets are quite a bit more common - although I don't think there are many (if any) chalets in Arc 1950. Several in Peisey Vallandry though - quick Google gives several.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I`ve had a lovely offer for a lovely chalet in Peisey Vallandry which we are thinking about, but it is unlikely that all the lifts will be open that week especially the big Vanoise link. Its really too low.

And yes we really do need 6 bedrooms, I could work with two apartments though, if they were adjacent and had a dining table and lounge area in one of them big enough to seat everyone. What I really want is to pick up the lovely apartment we had last year and move it to a different resort. Trouble is you often don`t get what you want Sad Laughing

A 6 bedroomed chalet would be fine but I can`t find one that fits the bill. At least not within my budget!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IIRC all the Peisey lifts were open the equivalent week this year - I certainly don't recall any restrictions on moving across all Les Arcs with the exception of the glacier - but we did have a very good start to the season. Someone who has spent more seasons there can probably advise as to whether that is normal or not. The Vanoise won't be open as it is not scheduled to until the following week. But it won't be open if you are staying in 1950 either.

You could also try contacting smaller catered chalet companies who have a few chalets in the same resort, who may not be fully open that week, but who might consider a s/c let on a chalet that is (or can be) ready during a week they are busy with other tasks. They'll be paying to rent the chalet by that point but may not be renting out all their chalets on a catered basis, so you never know. Smaller operators do seem more flexible on catered/self-catered/bespoke though it might be easier to do a deal nearer the time...
latest report
CIS Immobilier the agency I use for letting out my apartment only asks if you wish to make your apartment available sometime mid summer and I and many other owners only reply in September or later. So I suspect a significant proportion of rental availability is only announced in the autumn.

£2000 for a week does appear a very high price for very early season (I suppose by that you mean the week before Christmas)
snow conditions
I do indeed johnE, from the 14/15th.

Thank you for the lifts information at Peisey, its worth knowing.
ski holidays
I think we would need two apartments in Arc 1950, anyone been there? Could we get a 4 bedroom one and a 1 bedroom room side by side, and just to throw some more confusion into the equation would we get a discount on the secind week if we kept the bigger of the two for the second week ie the Xmas week do you think?
ski holidays
CaravanSkier, if you do look at 1800, we booked a smaller apartment with these guys last year and were very impressed. I couldn't say if they would have adjacent ones but they are very contactable by email at all times of the year. They have quite a few apartments in the same building. The prices were very reasonable too Very Happy

http://www.myfrenchchalet.com/les_arcs_apartments/chantelk.php
snow conditions
Thank you I`ll have a look.
latest report
CaravanSkier,

I own in 1950 , spend a lot of time organising things over there, and can put you in touch with the right people in PnV on-site or Erna Low for direct answers about what you need / want. You might not get prices this early tho...

Drop me a PM.

AR
ski holidays
Thank you Artic Roll, pm on way
snow conditions
Marmotte 16 I`ve just has a look, the apartments seem quite pleasant. What was the pool area like and was it crowded?
snow report
CaravanSkier, pool was quiet when we were there (both early April trips). Easily accessed in building few metres from the front door of Chantel. The apartments are (IIRC) owned by private owners. Ours was facing down the valley, good views, very clean and well equipped. Boot room downstairs, covered parking. Ski in/ski out - short ski down to nearest lift or 1800 itself. Ski hire available close by, also restaurant and bar/takeaway food/pizza. Regular bus or walk down to shops. Would definitely go back.
I was very impressed with the price - when we booked in 2011 for April 12, Erna Low couldn't come near and they have always price matched for us before.

Arctic Roll, if it's Erna Low, they will often allow you to pre-book (and early booking discount can be negotiated Very Happy )
ski holidays
marmotte16, and given that the CEO is an owner in 1950 as well, and a friend of ours... Laughing
latest report
Arctic Roll, you couldn't ask for more Laughing
snow report
CaravanSkier, I have an apartment in the building that [b]marmotte16[b/] is referring to. Happy to answer questions you have about it. As far as I'm aware there aren't any six bedroom apartments available to rent.
latest report
Thank you rob@rar.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a quick update, I have settled for Arc 2000, a large apartment with views over to 1950. Its not absolutely what I wanted but its the closest I have been able to get!

Large apartments in the higher alpine resorts seem few and far between!

Thank you everyone for all the support and information.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy