Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a resort for beginner/intermediates please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, me and Mrs Bee have been skiing for 3 years after learning in Borovets. The last 2 ski holidays we've been to Soldeu, Andorra and really like it there. Trying to decide if to go again though, or try something different.

I would say I'm an early intermediate, confident on blues, could probably handle reds with care, but not fast or stylish, although some of the blues in Soldeu were as steep as some reds.
My wife is slightly less confident than me, and still fears speed a bit (scared of falling on her shoulder which was dislocated in Borovets and required 7 months of physio!), is happy on gentle blues, but prefers a slower pace, particularly if they get a bit steeper.

So, we're looking for somewhere that like Soldeu has a good range of blues for early intermediates, and maybe reds if we improve while there, as we would still want to join ski school for improver lessons.

Looking at going second half of feb or first week in march, and really wanting to stick to a budget of up to around £700 ish each; with lift pass, ski hire and ski school at an extra £250 ish each.

Have been looking at places like Les Deux Alpes, Les Arcs but they are looking more expensive than Andorra again so far.
Just wanted to ask for any ideas that might fit what sort of resort we're looking for.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr bee, welcome to Snowheads snowHead

Have a look at Cervinia in Italy, the skiing there would suit your requirements very well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr bee, Les Saisies would suit you both very well but ski hire, lift pass and lessons might be a little bit more than £250. Your problem would be that there are no British TOs who come here and you would need to drive here, or fly and hire a car from Geneva. But if your overall budget is £950 each you could easily do that.

However, second half of Feb and early March are French school holidays - I would strongly recommend you avoid those weeks anywhere in France. Early February or second half of March would be far better.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The first full week of March (beginning Sat.1/03) next season coincides with Carnival/Fasching. This means it could be quite busy as many countries tie in their mid-term break to this period one way or another. If you could look at going earlier in February, you may find it a lot quieter. I've already booked my hotel for the first week in February as it is clearly going t be very low season.

I would also suggest looking at parts of the Dolomites - beautiful scenery, tree-lined runs and miles of hero-style blue runs. Cervinia can be extremely bleak if the weather is bad. There are plenty of people here who know the Dolomites way better than I do and can suggest good options for bases.

In France, I think that Serre Chevalier and some of the smaller areas in that region are also unbeatable for what you want as well as being better value than the massive purpose-built places in the northern Haute Savoie.

In Austria you will have loads of choice as well, so depending on whether you want to have a TO package or not is really the point here. Big advantage for Austria is that the serving airports are rarely more than 90 minutes from the resorts, so no long tedious transfers involved!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The PDS slopes would suit for sure, but again first half of feb would be a cheaper and better option. Stay outside of Morzine/les gets/avoriaz and self drive from Geneva, and you should be able to manage it easily to your budget Im guessing.

My wife and I are exactly the same ability levels as the both of you, and PDS was just perfect for us this year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Saalbach would be good, skiing-wise the PdS would also be good, but food and drink on hill are quite a bit more expensive.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and the whole of the PDS is going to be busy. Big French resorts at half term (which always coincides with French school holidays) are not the place to find a quiet spot - especially for beginner and early intermediate skiers who might not easily be able to get to them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Plagne and Alpe d'Huez would be worth looking into IMO, both have plenty of cruisey runs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, true. First week of Feb (probably everywhere!) will likely be quieter than half term/Fasching week...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
and the whole of the PDS is going to be busy. Big French resorts at half term (which always coincides with French school holidays) are not the place to find a quiet spot - especially for beginner and early intermediate skiers who might not easily be able to get to them.

and a 6 day PDS pass is approx 220E alone. PDS is great but wouldn't be my recommendation to the OP with that brief, unless they picked a lesser known, quieter area of it and stuck there on a local pass.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Even in the Dolomites, first week of March next year will come into the high season bracket as shown below from an email received from Dolomiti Superski:

Preseason 30/11 - 21/12/2013
high season 22/12 - 06/01/2014
Season 07/01 – 01/02/2014
High season 02/02 - 15/03/2014
Season 16/03 – 06-21/04/2014
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A small resort will have a cheaper lift pass. Some bits of France are very dear especially in the mountain restaurants. Try Austria, Mayrhofen, Gaschurn, Schruns or the Dolomites as above.
To get a bargain try the preview brochures which have great special offers and/or get yourselves along to a ski show. Cheap tickets here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/promotions/9954056/tickets-ski-snowboard-show-2013.html

snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We loved la rosiere. Found it pretty reasonable and the skiing is great for intermediates and nervous improvers- lots of blues into the town with the options of reds too. Esf was fine but I think I'd try out evo2 next time as esf classes big.

Rosie
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a look at Flaine
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Though you're probably being spoiled for choice, I would suggest the Loferer Alm in Austria as another alternative. You would have to take the lift up and down perhaps (the run back down to the village is more challenging) but up on the Loferer Alm itself the runs are perfect for intermediates (use the search feature to find photos of the area).
snow conditions
Wow, thanks for all the replies, cervinia looks good and like the look of Austria, but sooooo many resorts to choose from!

To answer some questions, yes ideally I would want to book a package deal, hopefully including lift pass, ski hire and school. And I've already bought tickets for the ski show north in manchester Smile
I've got the Neilson preview brochure, but nobody has a crystal one yet.

Will have a look at the places mentioned, but ultimately it's gonna come down to what looks best for the best price as the pass/rental/school packs vary wildly in price between different countries.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy