Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

80-100mm one ski quiver in sales?

Poster: A snowHead
I've owned some Gladiators before which were around 89mm underfoot but I've never skied anything 100mm+.

I'm 6ft, 180lbs (more with backpack and stuff on), comfortable skiing off piste, diamonds etc. Probably looking for a 170cm ski or thereabouts and something to ski in occasional powder/trees but am getting more and more into off piste. Something a bit softer for bumps and crud?

So,

I'm down to

Rossi S3 178cm

HEAD Rev 90 170cm

Prophet 90 170cm

watea94 178 best price but not sure whether it skis a bit short...

any thoughts or recommendations? I don't really want to go over 94mm as it's probably a waste unless spending all your time off piste.
Also, the market seems to be moving away from narrower waisted skis as the mid fats are just as good.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, 170 sounds a little short for you wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
170 is too short.

185 Nordica Soul Riders. Great skis, particularly in bumps. Prefer finesse rather than charging through in crud though. Carve well, you can really bend them into the turn. Very very good edge grip on hardpack, every time I ski them I'm surprised how much I can push them, I find myself railing hardpack that would have seen me reverting to short pivoty turns on my old 92mm skis. Ski powder well for the width, but don't quite have the surfiness of bigger skis. Prefer medium or smaller sized turns, very nimble. Playful rather than chargey. I use them as my piste ski, cruisy day ski, and long(er) touring ski (light for the size!).

Most importantly, rad topsheets - a skeleton wearing a sombrero playing maracas!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was going to use them out in the east coast of NAmerica at times and 186 might be alittle too long for tree skiing?
178cm sounds about right?
S3 is a top seller but I'm a little worried it's powder only whereas the Watea94 could cover the lot?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman, I ski an s3 in 178cm alot, but I am a bit lighter than you and a little shorter.

They ski very short, but i ski trees as much as i can and they are excellent in trees, and in bumps.....best bump ski i have ever skied............but have a definite speed limit on piste, (a low speed limit) they are also very quick for a 98mm width ski. Get knocked around in crud, last week I went back to my normal camber fischer misfits when it got cruddy. The 186cm version has effectively the same running length, more rocker. The only issue i have with the s3 is it is so easy to ski it makes me lazy.......................

I have also skied a watea 94 with the odd boat hull tip, very different to s3, stiffer, better on piste, much more grip, likes GS turns, i found them hard work with smaller turns. The tails is quite upturned, but ski much longer than the s3's.

Have not skied the other two, but 170cm seems a little short, however the s3 178cm only measures 175cm from the floor.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have 178cm S3s as well and agree with pretty much everything carroz says regarding the S3, including that it makes me lazy Smile Very, very fun ski though and great on piste if the snow is even a wee bit soft, not for those that like to charge though

clarky999, I have seen few rave reviews of those Soul Riders, really, really fancy trying them now Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GordonFreeman, they have tip and tail rocker (and a twin tip), so ski a bit shorter than the length might suggest. FWIW, I'm 5 foot 9 and about 75kg, and never wish they were shorter. Ever. Well, maybe on kick turns...

Seriously though, very nimble and easy to pivot your way through tight trees (or tight bumps, for that). The old skis I referred to were 176, and feel too short for me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm quite pleased with my Line Prophet 98s in 179 ((I'm 172cm/177kg). I used them in L2A last week and was surprised at just how easy they are to get onto their edges.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B wrote:
I'm quite pleased with my Line Prophet 98s in 179 ((I'm 172cm/177kg). I used them in L2A last week and was surprised at just how easy they are to get onto their edges.

177kg Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
woops I'm more an old fashioned lbs & ounces man, 77kg Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How would the S3 compare to say the Head REV?
Only think I'm worried about with the S3 is how it works on piste...also I'd probably get a 178 as I want to use it in trees and 186 is prob too long but is 178 enough for my height/weight.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
S3 carves and short turns really nicely....obviously it is not a GS ski....but you did say one-ski quiver!

I have a multi-ski quiver, but I ski my S3s probably 80% of the time on and off, only resorting to a true slalom (Elan SLX) when it is really properly hard underfoot.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BTW...170 is much to short in an S3 if you are 6ft.
185 is what you need. (they ski a lot shorter than that on piste, and the rocker still makes them shorter than that off piste)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I will throw in a vote for Stoeckli VXLs. 88mm underfoot for the 189cm model. I am 6' 4" and find the 189cm perfect. Agile on-piste, with great edge hold on ice. A bit like a GS ski. Solid in the crud - does not get unsettled unless you are in the backseat. Some, but not a lot, of float in powder. I think you need to go a lot wider than 88mm, unless you are a lightweight midget, to get float in dry powder. Bumps? Well, I am crap in them, so I will not comment, other than I hope to get a lot better.

For a 1-ski quiver, many of the reviews I have read put the VXL and the Kaestle MX88 at the very top of the pile. Have not skied the latter, so cannpt comment.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GordonFreeman wrote:
Only think I'm worried about with the S3 is how it works on piste...also I'd probably get a 178 as I want to use it in trees and 186 is prob too long but is 178 enough for my height/weight.

You have to think about more than just ski length, when considering how a ski will be in tight places/making tight pivot turns. A softer ski will be easier to bully around, a rockered ski easier to pivot quickly. For anything over than extreme hardpack/ice, I'd rather be on my 190 skis than a 165 slalom ski in tight trees.

What sort of ability are you/how much experience do you have? Sounds like it might be worth you trying skis of different lengths (and other characteristics) jsut to get a feel for this stuff/some confidence in it, even if you can't demo the exact models you're interested in.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
GordonFreeman wrote:

You have to think about more than just ski length, when considering how a ski will be in tight places/making tight pivot turns. A softer ski will be easier to bully around, a rockered ski easier to pivot quickly. For anything over than extreme hardpack/ice, I'd rather be on my 190 skis than a 165 slalom ski in tight trees.

What sort of ability are you/how much experience do you have? Sounds like it might be worth you trying skis of different lengths (and other characteristics) jsut to get a feel for this stuff/some confidence in it, even if you can't demo the exact models you're interested in.

well, resonably experienced. can ski pretty much any black run, can ski off piste in forgiving conditions, not much experience in the deep stuff. However, where I may be moving to (Quebec), they have icy conditions most of the time with occasional deep powder once a month.
However, in terms of skis, I've only ever skied thinner skis (Head 72, other carving, Gladiator 80mm) so I'm not that experienced in terms of the difference in feel for soft and hard skis and how this affects things.
ski holidays
From what I've heard of Quebec I'd have thin piste skis and rent (or buy) wider skis once a month.
snow conditions
Claude B wrote:
From what I've heard of Quebec I'd have thin piste skis and rent (or buy) wider skis once a month.

Maybe but then most people out there seem to ski on 80+ skis anyway.
There seems to be a large move towards wider skis nowadays
latest report
If you'll be moving to somewhere you can ski regularly, you'll inevitably end up getting a quiver anyway. In which case, skip the middle ground (somewhat) and get a 75-85mm piste ski and 105mm+ soft snow ski.
latest report
After a gladiator, softer skis may be a disappointment. Plus Glads were were 92 wide and 182 or 192 (we talking of a different ski?)

Could go for their replacement the Source, turnier apparently
latest report
If you're going to be living in Quebec, buy a hard pack gripper and back it with a 105+ soft snow ski for trips out west or powder days. As above. If you get out west with something skinnier you'll look like a tourist unless you're rocking OG Explosivs.
snow report
fatbob, your command of dude speak never ceases to amaze
snowHead
ski holidays
C'mon I pull most of this straight outta my harris. wink
snow report
would a rossi experience 83 in 184cm be too long for me?
snow conditions
Not if you're remotely a man wink
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:

I have a multi-ski quiver, but I ski my S3s probably 80% of the time on and off, only resorting to a true slalom (Elan SLX) when it is really properly hard underfoot.

I have this plus Auras with Marker F10s for touring

I have read that there isn't much stability advantage with the 186cm vs the 177cm S3 as the running length is the same, it just has longer rocker
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy