Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have I been sold the right size board?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I just bought my first board last week. I have always rented, but thought I'd take the plunge! The guy in the shop sold me a 156 wide as although I'm 6'2" I have size 12 feet and weigh about 12st (76kg). Is this the right size - I have always rented 162-163 boards before?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Iona Lerington, nowt to worry about, just go ride and have fun. It will turn quickly and be nice and light to throw around in the park is you want that. If you want to spend your life in chest deep angel powder it won't work that well and for those days go and hire a monster powderboard. Just have fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's best to ride boards before you buy them. Check the manufacturer's recommendations and see if your shop assistant was correct or not. Most uk people ride boards which are too short. It doesn't matter much if you're just sideslipping, but it can be funny to watch when the park isn't that close to the lifts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds too short 'on paper' fo' sho'. As Masque says though, it'll be really nippy and fun to chuck about. Might feel fidgety at high speeds on the flat...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Iona Lerington, as the others have said it does initially sound a bit short, however different boards are ridden at different lengths on a model by model basis, with the primary concern being weight rather than height. The manufacturer will usually have a chart on their website which gives weight ranges for each size of model and length of board. I ride a 163 (rome anthem) and I'm 6'0 90kgs.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with rogg, it depends on the board and what it's designed for. I ride boards on the upper limits of their weight range cause I've got short legs and a narrow stance.

FWIW, I'm a girl, 5ft6 and I only weigh about 2kg less than you and I ride a 146 and a 147. If it fits your stance, and it's wide enough for your booties you'll find it easier to turn and much more fun to mess around with in a fridge or in the park Smile

Which board did you end up with BTW?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Iona Lerington,
What make /model is it?
Mitch
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
call me dave wrote:
.......FWIW, I'm a girl,......

FWIW interesting name choice Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As others have said, it sounds short on paper, but depends on your riding. At 6'2" and 76kgs you must be pretty thin! Very jealous as Im 6' and 96kgs (used to be 106!). I like to say that muscle weighs 3 times more than fat though Wink I think you also need to look at leg length as I have a 30 inside leg so a narrow stance for my height, so can get away with a smaller board.

I was originally riding a 156, which was fine for piste stuff and easy to work around the slope. I just upgraded to a 162W Custom and its totally different. Much more float which was ideal for the epic amounts of snow in PDS this year. I struggled at first in turn initiation but quickly got used to it, and the ability to nip off the sides of pistes without bogging was great. Absolutely love it, but have retained my 156 for park duties, and will also bring it out if its a hard pack piste day.

Basically, your board selection should change depending on where you're riding in my opinion. Yours will be fine for park and piste.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dennis your simple two board quiver is like a return too normal sensible non uk sales thinking.
The market has everyone by the balls.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
why?? I dont get that comment?

I bought my original board 4 years ago when I started learning. I bought my next board in the sales (70% off!) and it takes the same bindings as my original board. Burton replaced my buckels and toe straps for nowt, so I can now ride two boards depending on conditions for next to nothing.

Whatever, just trying to offer some suggestions. Ill try to get back to the new mega depressing, post crisis, we have no money to spend on anything but our 6 children council estate Britain that seems to prevail there now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy