Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train - Chambery to/from Bourg St Maurice

Poster: A snowHead
Well, we enjoyed St Foy so much this season, we've booked again.

The only bad part of the trip was the car hire and journey to and from the resort so we would like to avoid it next time around.

I was thinking of the train and taxis from the airport to the station and from Bourg to St Foy.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Thanks,

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have just got back from Les Arcs and Meribel solely using public transport and it was excellent. I travelled from BSM to Moutiers by train (I know this tran continues on to Chambery so it would be very straightforward). I also used buses from Meribel to Moutiers and Albertville. All were booked through www.raileurope.co.uk. It was very cheap and easy to collect the tickets from the machines at the stations.

Hope this helps
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From Chambery airport you have to get a bus or taxi from the airport to the town to catch the train and from there it's very straightforward as far as Bourg. I think you will need a taxi after that. You could try a minibus transfer company (we used ski4fun) as an alternative.
You can also get trains from Lyon airport but the timings can be a bit awkward.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try Altibus direct from the airport, returns to Bourg around 50 euros. I've used it to Aime five years in a row with no problems.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forgot to say the bus runs or connects direct to some resorts, so check whether St Foy is one. They also used to do part taxi transfers for others, though i found this much more expensive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
With regards to Lyon, you could fly into the airport then take the 30 min Rhoneexpress tram to the main station where the trains are far more frequent
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What's wrong with car hire, far far better than public transport, usually far cheaper as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fogliettaz, Well it depends

How many people?
How many weeks?
How much is parking?
How much are snow tyres and/or chains?
Has the renter ever used snow chains?
Flight arrival/departure time vs bus/train departure arrival.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a direct bus from Chambery to Sainte Foy.

Bus usually best option for 1-3 people. Car hire competitive for 3-5. Private transfer best for 6+.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For the reasons we'd like to avoid Car hire and the roads in general, please see this thread - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2230464&highlight=#2230464

Thanks for the replies!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've done Bourg to Chambery by train years ago. Cheap as chips, no hassle but slow - I think most services stop at every possible station. Chambery Airport to Station is a short taxi ride.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does it have to be Chambery? We go to Geneva then get the coach (about £100 return) to BSM - friends then pick us up and take us the St Foy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, we've already booked the flights while they were cheap.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Chambery Airport to Station is a short taxi ride.

But book the return taxi in advance if possible. There may be no taxis waiting at Chambery station and it can take quite a while to find one. I wonder why there is no shuttle bus between the airport and the station.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are ways and means around the traffic. I've driven in and out of the valley almost every Saturday since the start of the season and never had major hassles.
latest report
stevomcd wrote:
There are ways and means around the traffic. I've driven in and out of the valley almost every Saturday since the start of the season and never had major hassles.

Would you like to share how?
snow report
ChrisP3, If I told you I'd have to kill you... wink

Study a road map closely...
latest report
That makes the train idea sound even more appealing!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy