Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The people you bump into unexpectedly .....

Poster: A snowHead
codyaitch, Nope, missed that one
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shared a table outside Salaas bar,Ischgl last Friday with Chris Done.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think I would recognise most of these people if I did bump into them, but....

I did give Barry McGuigan his first ski lesson, and Annabel Croft her first snowboard lesson
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The (historically) most important person I ever met (when I was young) was probably Alexander Kerensky - one of the leaders of the 1917 Russian revolution who became prime minister of the provisional government and was later forced out by Lenin and the Bolsheviks. He was staying with my friend's father Frank Soskice - Labour Home Secretary (later Lord Stow Hill). NehNeh

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 17-04-13 18:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Patch, I taught Annabel Croft to play the Pyramid Game
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx, what is that? is it anything like a pyramid scheme?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The (historically) most important person I ever met (when I was young) was probably Alexander Kerensky

Well I wouldn't have recognised him, probably, but at least I would have known who he was, unlike most of the people in this thread. I did the Russian Revolution as my special subject for my degree.

I think that trumps everybody else on this thread. snowball!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Patch,
http://youtube.com/v/qZBrpkwGke4 ......enjoy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ Clearly Steve cleaned up his act a bit after the infamous Bill Grundy interview.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
The (historically) most important person I ever met (when I was young) was probably Alexander Kerensky - one of the leaders of the 1917 Russian revolution who became prime minister of the provisional government and was later forced out by Lenin and the Bolsheviks. He was staying with my friend's father Frank Soskice - Labour Home Secretary (later Lord Stow Hill). NehNeh

I knew (ish) Frank's son David, who was the economics fellow at University College Oxford during my time. Which was also alma mater to Prince Felix Yusupov, assassin of Rasputin, to continue the Russian revolutionary theme. I never met him though. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, Nice !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Patch, Indeed - great fun and winning money too (that episode wasn't me BTW)! My other partner was Simon Williams, who was still as dashing as Captain Bellamy in those days, now he's more like Captain Mainwaring!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spud wrote:
Megamum wrote:
I often wonder how embarassing it would be to bump into a personality and not realise it/recognise them. I wonder if they would appreciate chatting to someone that didn't know who they were, i.e. would they appreciate the anonymity?

It can sometimes be of an advantage... wink

I took OH to see Eminem at Punchestown (open air concert) for her birthday. It was raining for about a week before, so it was a mudbath. Got back to the (very posh) hotel afterwards 'clabbered te the knee' (covered in mud as far as your knees.) Was standing at the bar and the guy beside me asks "Where you at the concert.?" pointing at the mud "Yeah, It was brilliant, but Cypress Hill weren't great." He laughed. We were chatting waiting on pints to settle and I told him I had OH down (in Dublin) for her birthday, so he orders a bottle of Cristal. Then his 4 mates arrived and they bought us bottles as well. After a few hours of having a mighty laugh, they suggested we go to a club. We agreed and I offered to book a 7 seater taxi. "Don't worry about it, we have a car" they said. "You're not driving - you're bolloxed." I said. He laughed again. About 30 seconds later the doorman comes over and tells us the car is ready. We go outside to be mobbed by about 1000 screaming girlies trying to get an autograph from the lads we were with......Westlife. They had been playing at Lansdowne Road (another open air venue) on the same night. Embarassed Wrong concert - We went clubbing with them anyway Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thornyhill, You win Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swimandski wrote:
Shared a table outside Salaas bar,Ischgl last Friday with Chris Done.

Ehh who is he/she???????
Even google seems to draw a blank
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The (historically) most important person I ever met (when I was young) was probably Alexander Kerensky

Well I wouldn't have recognised him, probably, but at least I would have known who he was, unlike most of the people in this thread. I did the Russian Revolution as my special subject for my degree.

I think that trumps everybody else on this thread. snowball!

Certainly the only person on this thread who could claim responsibility for imprisoning a family in their own home, ultimately leading to their murder (women, children and servants included.) Still, celebrity is mostly notoriety...
latest report
albinomountainbadger, you probably need to read a bit more about the Russian revolution.
snow report
pam w wrote:
albinomountainbadger, you probably need to read a bit more about the Russian revolution.

Really? Then tell me who was the head of the provisional government that imprisoned the royal family at fixed bayonets in the Winter Palace?
ski holidays
The Kerensky government put them under house arrest in the Alexander Palace but the Bolsheviks, when they took over after the later, October revolution, made their imprisonment much more severe and later killed them.
pam w, I was introduced when I visited my friend: I would have had no idea who he was otherwise.
laundryman, Frank Soskise's son Oliver was the one I knew best. He later became an artist.
latest report
Thornyhill wrote:
"It was brilliant, but Cypress Hill weren't great."

hmmm, I have a didn't-meet story about them.

I used to work in live touring and was rung last minute to look after them in Auckland - basically it was baby sitting with free meals in great restaurants. I went to the venue and was walking down a long corridor backstage to their dressing room when the Asst. Tour Manager started walking up the corridor towards me, discreetly waving his hands in a 'no' gesture (sort of across each other back and forth). I stopped, he reached me, turned me around and said "I'm really sorry, I don't how to say this but you can't work the tour." Me, "What's happened?!". Him, "all I can say is - no white chicks". And with that I was back out of the venue and off the tour.

To this day, I'm incredulous about what was said (really? 'white chicks'?! in NZ?!) and what really happened between being booked so last minute and getting to the venue. I have no idea if it had anything to do with the band or their management or who? Shame, I really liked their music and the last band I'd worked with that was like them was Living Colour a couple of years earlier - they were lovely!

On the whole, my experience working with some big acts was that if anyone was going to be a jerk on a tour, it was usually someone in management. rolling eyes
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
The Kerensky government put them under house arrest in the Alexander Palace but the Bolsheviks, when they took over after the later, October revolution, made their imprisonment much more severe and later killed them.

None of which is in disagreement with what I wrote and Pam w so arrogantly dismissed. If the royal family had not been imprisoned by the provisional government of which Kerensky was part and quickly became leader, they would no doubt have fled abroad (as Kerensky himself later did to avoid his own murder), or been captured by the Germans. Either of these would have denied the Bolsheviks opportunity to execute them.
snow report
albinomountainbadger, yes, but you can't very well expect the moderate provisional government to anticipate from the start that they would lose (or, for that matter, anticipate the horrors of the purges etc). If he had escaped the Czar might well have come back with an army (even without him there was a fierce civil war). When Charles 1st was beaten in our civil war he escaped and raised another army and had to be beaten all over again. Ditto Napoleon. I can't see how you can seriously fault the Provisional government for putting the family under house arrest.
ski holidays
snowball, I'm not faulting them (that would be a debate far too long for these pages); for national security it was probably a good idea to not give the Whites their figurehead nor to let him fall into German hands and become a sort of martyr, but keeping them captive was undeniably a domino on the path to the executions.
snow conditions
If you help organise gigs, I presume it doesn't count when you bump into the bands Cool
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, indeed, which is why I haven't posted until now. Not meeting them was a bummer Sad
If I had, I wouldn't have posted about it.
latest report
holidayloverxx, saw her in a restaurant once. Is she as much of a snooty cow as I remember ?
snow report
bladeskier, Annabel? She was alright, but lost me £50 in the final so I couldn't win the maximum. She was very apologetic
ski holidays
bladeskier wrote:
holidayloverxx, saw her in a restaurant once. Is she as much of a snooty cow as I remember ?

She is not snooty at all. Very small.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, I wasn't commenting on your post, it just rang a bell as I help a mate organise small gigs locally. In fact we have one on tonight.

Tickets are still available Cool Confused
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, I have to do 'notes to self' these days too. wink
snow report
This thread should now be moved to Apres but yesterday afternoon I bumped in to Mick Jones on the tube. He was jumping off at Shepherd's Bush Market I was going on to Hammersmith. Top fella and a rock legend Toofy Grin
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Mosha Marc, I have to do 'notes to self' these days too. wink

LMAO
latest report
laundryman, Ha ha, I've only just realised what I did rolling eyes

It was meant to be for flowa Embarassed
snow conditions
flowa wrote:
On the whole, my experience working with some big acts was that if anyone was going to be a jerk on a tour, it was usually someone in management.

In their time big acts (from my days behind a mixing desk at Uni), and at different ends of the jerk scale:

Let Loose (boy band from early 90's) - turned up 15 minutes before they were due on stage (no sound check), moaned that the levels were all wrong, played 3 songs and left in a hissy fit
Bad Manners - top band and hung around for ages after their set drinking with Uni crew
ski holidays
I met Bad Manners too during my University working security/drinking on a free bar tab days. Top guys as were Geno Washington and his band and numerous others of the "gigging band" type. It was the ones who had had recent and sudden chart success that tended to be assholes, probably due to the whole "Hell yeah we've definitely made it" attitude.
ski holidays
Pierce Brosnan recounts a story about being out one evening having a quiet drink in a Dublin hostelry , when a guy comes over to him and greets hims with
'Pierce Brosnan great to finally meet you, can I shake your hand?'

Pierce being the obliging gentleman that he is, duly obliges. His new found friend grabs his hand in a fullsome grip and continues to shake it for some time. Then he gazes at his hand with a star stricken, almost idolising expression on his face. Finally the guy utters the immortal line

'thanks very much Pierce, that's probably as close as I'll ever get to Halle Berry's bum!!'

Smile

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 26-04-13 10:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I met Richard Branson in Euston a few months ago. I think he was doing some Virgin promotion stuff around the West Coast Mainline franchise debacle. I didn't really get to speak to him, I just shook his hand and said I thought Virgin were very good (I use that train line a lot).

I also met Bill Bryson when he gave me my degree Very Happy. And then later when he was mingling with the grads. He was pretty mild mannered, and also rather hoarse from giving so many graduation speeches that week.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
I met Bad Manners too during my University working security/drinking on a free bar tab days. Top guys as were Geno Washington and his band and numerous others of the "gigging band" type. It was the ones who had had recent and sudden chart success that tended to be assholes, probably due to the whole "Hell yeah we've definitely made it" attitude.

I bumped into the lead singer from Badmanners when I was student. He was pushing one of the other band members up the street in a shopping trolley as he was a little " tired and emotional"
latest report
Jonathan Bell, buster bloodvessel!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy