Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest skiing June-August?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

For skiing/boarding during the summer where would be the best bang for your buck?

New Zealand/Argentina/Chile?

Not just there but flights, accommodation, ski pass etc etc!

I'm sure this has been done to death on here before, if so apologies.

Thanks,
OTB.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hintertux, Austria
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers, boardiac.

You only get 2/3 hours in the morning though I thought?

Icy in the morning then turns to slush?

OTB.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have skied North Island Mt Ruaphehu and Queenstown and really enjoyed the experience. However lived there at the time and although I could see Mt Ruapehu only bothered once (having skied for 15yrs in Europe). Queenstowns resorts cannot compare with a small French resort. Also several miles outside town up a small mountain road. So as you can guess I would not bother unless you live in New Zealand. Go to NZ Nov - March and and have a great hol. Not cheap either.

Cannot speak for Chile.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers, hawkesbaynz.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Both Chile and Argentina are excellent.

Snowfall can be inconsistent.

Best bets are Nevados Chillan in Chile and the Lake District resorts of Argentina - Cerro Bayo, Chapelco, Gran Catederal.

If it's a good snow year then add

Portillo, Valle Nevado, Antillanca, Pucon in Chile

Las Lenas, Caviahue, La Hoya in Argentina
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scotland, walk up to snow patch and ski, should be plenty left this year Wink

http://resortjobs.co.uk/do/ecco.py/view_item?listid=9&listcatid=5678&listitemid=7419
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tignes,with Inside Out skiing. £260 for three days accommodation, food, tuition and lift pass! Plus summer activities, Via Ferrata, mountainbiking.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Argentina

In addition to the above suggestions in Argentina, Ushuaia is a good bet for snow and it is not uncommon to bump into some of the national ski teams. Austria, Italy and Andorra were all training there when we went last year with others due to turn up later in the season.

The resorts are generally smaller and lower than in Europe with slower infrastructure and snow can be very variable which will impact on how good value you think the ski passes are. Queues are minimal in comparison though.

The living can be really cheap and the atmosphere is great, very friendly, much more laid back than Europe, you can also get to know some South American culture while you are there and the food is great.

DIY is possible and probably cheaper than doing a TO deal.

Flights to all three countries are likely to be pretty expensive.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
outsidethebox, re Hintertux in the summer - that maybe the case some times, depends entirely on the weather at the time. Last summer we played in knee deep powder all day on several occasions as it was not a "good" summer for summer sports! wink I'm hoping again that this summer we get to play in nice powder, but am prepared for zero vis and hard-boiled ice as well. Lots to do if it is not so nice up there as well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well....I just bought myself some new ski's....

I'm in San Diego for July and the first part of August. Evidently, Mammoth is closing end of May, so there goes my 4th of July ski dream at Mammoth....

I don't know if I can't wait until November to try my new ski's....For my doing, I splurged.... I got the Hells Belles, so also, I don't want to ski them over rocks on the first day out. I don't think I'll be in Argentina or Chile though...likely I'll be waiting for snow to fly in the Alps.

Currently with a medical condition that has me out of business as far as skiing is concerned, for the next month or so...it's got me ornery too! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Plan to take revenge out in November/December or even sooner if possible with my Hells Belles!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MSC have a trip to Chile in August: http://www.midlandski.org.uk/holidays.php (scroll down)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
Well....I just bought myself some new ski's....

I'm in San Diego for July and the first part of August. Evidently, Mammoth is closing end of May, so there goes my 4th of July ski dream at Mammoth....

I don't know if I can't wait until November to try my new ski's....For my doing, I splurged.... I got the Hells Belles, so also, I don't want to ski them over rocks on the first day out. I don't think I'll be in Argentina or Chile though...likely I'll be waiting for snow to fly in the Alps.

Currently with a medical condition that has me out of business as far as skiing is concerned, for the next month or so...it's got me ornery too! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Plan to take revenge out in November/December or even sooner if possible with my Hells Belles!

if they have snow they will reopen Mammoth for 4th of july weekend!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Idris,

Where do you get that information? Everything I read say its closing after Memorial Day weekend... If it's open, I'm going to swing by, if only for a few hours, for kicks and giggles.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
Idris,

Where do you get that information? Everything I read say its closing after Memorial Day weekend... If it's open, I'm going to swing by, if only for a few hours, for kicks and giggles.

History - check out old threads on EpicSki or even TGR
ski holidays
Les Duex Alpes in France has the Glacier open for skiing/boarding through the summer...
latest report
I used to live in Jakarta and, whilst there, the kids' school organised a ski week in Australia in July. We went to Mount Buller in the Victorian Alps and flew into Melbourne. It seemed bizarre skiing in July but we had a great week.
ski holidays
Quote:
For skiing/boarding during the summer where would be the best bang for your buck?
We loved Chile (3 Valleys/Portillo/Chillan) and had fantastic snow on a September trip there a few years back - but Europe is obviously going to be a lot cheaper than South America.......Budget airline flights, car hire and a cheap apartment (PM me if any interest in our place in Tignes - 5 mins from the glacier funicular) and voila!

In terms of conditions, from experience of lots of European summer skiing over the last 20 years, a generalisation for glacier skiing would be as follows:
June - Very extensive cover; decent skiing available most of the day; winter snow conditions possible at high altitude/away from south facing slopes; softer snow later on; good chance that any precipitation will fall as snow (powder) on the glacier.
First 2 weeks of July - Still very extensive cover; decent skiing available until early afternoon; soft/slushy thereafter; good chance of precipitation falling as snow on the tops.
Last 2 weeks of July: Summer heat taking its toll; glacier becoming bare-looking in places with crevasses showing; snow cover not as extensive; skiing more limited (but still great fun); re-frozen hardpack or soft, spring snow early doors; slushy by late morning; meltwater running down the pistes on hot days; snowfall still a possibility in cooler weather.
August - Glacier taking on a rocky, quarry-like appearance; very bare/skiing glacial ice in places; rivers running on piste; crevasses very much in evidence (sometimes on piste Confused ); soft snow all morning; possibly just for diehards - but still good fun.
September onwards - As August until the first snowfalls of autumn arrive.

EDIT: Tignes glacier so bad in the last few summers that it's closed in August and September this year - and presumably in future years too....Sad .

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 15-04-13 21:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Cheers folks.

Much appreciated.

OTB.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy