Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR: Henningsvaer, The Lofoten Islands, Norway

Poster: A snowHead
The weather seems to behave according to the following pattern:

Time: 09:00, clear, light airs
Time: 09:30, snowing, vis 50m, northerly near gale
Time: 10:00, vis 10km, southerly gentle breeze
Time: 10:30, snowing, easterly near gale, vis hand-in-front-of-face
Time: 10:35, clear, light airs, vis 15km
Time: 11:00, snowing, westerly near gale...

As a result, there is A LOT of snow here and wind blown too which means...

Current avalanche report: level 4, aspects affected: all of them

However, there's still plenty of superb skiing to be had thanks to the terrain, which is indescribable: you just have to experience it to believe it wink Fresh snow is wind blown compacted powder, almost creamy and great to ski on. We're keeping off steep terrain at present.

Currently drinking tea waiting for the current storm to blow through. Captain Oates would be proud.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Excellent tea drinking conditions...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

...which is a shame because last night it looked like this:
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Oh, wait a minute, yep, that's definitely blue sky .Time to go skiing! Unbelievable
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ha ha.

Stay safe and look forward to hearing all. With pics too hopefully.

Been on the list for a while.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Will do Mike; we're in good safe hands. It's now a bright spring day...here
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Today was the first time it didn't randomly boot it down 4 ins of snow. Total bluebird and untracked powder...again. Only skiers on the mountain and in line of sight...again (although we spotted some tracks on another mountain 10 miles away). Photo out of the car. Not exactly Matthaius Fredrikson but you get the picture Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flouncymark wrote:
Photo out of the car. Not exactly Matthaius Fredrikson but you get the picture Very Happy

Ha ha.

Is this a touring trip? Heli?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Touring. A heli would be extreme cheating given the highest peaks just about make 1000m Toofy Grin

We do have some far more accomplished photos though, which will appear soon (ish). Last day today and the sun's out...again snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flouncymark wrote:
We do have some far more accomplished photos though, which will appear soon (ish). Last day today and the sun's out...again snowHead

Looking forward to the full TR! Norway is on my to do list.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flouncymark, I've done 5 trips up to Lyngen, however always late April / early May and we've always been lucky with weather, only one day weather a was a little wet (rain) and we waited it out on the boat and let the front track through and went out about 16:00 till around 22:30 !

Are you on a boat ?

It is superb up there, though have not done Lofoten, we also used to go to Riksgransen from Tromso to do some heli after a week's touring, as well as ski Narvik.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam, we're not on a boat; we're staying in a town called Henningsvaer courtesy of the Nord Norsk Klatre Skole. It's bizzare watching fishing boats pass our window after a day skiing. We got all 4 seasons in a day for a few days and boot to knee deep powder (one of the guides said it was the most snow he's seen here in 30 years...). The last 2 days hit the jackpot with blue skies snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flouncymark, looking forward to the proper photos. More than a little gutted not to be there. (But if you start with the banter, I will point out that you've been missing dusty trails and warm sunshine. Unbelievably.)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Just having breakfast looking at this view. It's a shame we're heading back today. Offpisteskiing got further win when he managed to keep his eyes open long enough last night to see a display of the northern lights. Next year...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you Google youtube weathercam lyngen you'll see three vids of a trip we did a while back, I did originally do a DVD with a good soundtrack, but on editing it down Youtube took the soundtrack off and replaced it with something else Sad

And this was a vid of our first trip still a really good watch and a tad long, well before the days of YouTube, but pretty well encapsulates the fantastic trip, from sailing n'skiing in Lyngen to heli in Riksgransen and a good soundtrack Cool

Lyngen Alps and beyond from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/37420924
snow conditions
Flouncymark, snowHead snowHead Photo's & video please.
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., patience...on route to the airport so it'll be several days before I can put something together. There's just line after line between the Lofotens and Narvik and not a track on it.
latest report
Weathercam; that video is brilliant. It all looks like great fun! I've not thought of combining a ski trip with sailing.
snow conditions

It turns out Evenes airport has free wifi Very Happy

A taster of part of the finest view on earth:
ski holidays

The view from Henningsvaer, where we were staying, wasn't too shabby either snowHead
snow report
Sigh, yet another destination added to the to do list, looks great thank you for sharing
snow conditions
It's worth it. Full TR will be up in the next week or so
ski holidays
Flouncymark, taster pics looks well tasty! Moarrr please.
snow conditions

Zero G, maybe just the one...
snow conditions
Now you're just teasing... snowHead
latest report
sheesh - I took about 450 photos... these are going to take some sorting out...
snow report
I've narrowed mine down to 190 odd so far. The trip report's gonna be a bit like the trip: E P I C
snow conditions
Stop teasing and make with the TR! Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^+1

Just pick the photos with the most conspicuous photo slutting and/or gibbon steez.
ski holidays
fatbob, more like cod-steeze than gibbon steeze up here... Not that I'm much of a one for steeze anyway as my crotchline is way too high and I don't wear tall Ts....
snow report
Right, gentlemen, if this TR is not up by the time I get back from skiing tomorrow, you're all in BIG trouble Twisted Evil wink
latest report
Zero-G, to keep you going, here's a picture of some decapitated cod:

snow report
Nice pics. Must go there some time.

My uncle comes from Lofoten islands, but seems to have failed to inform me that it was possible to ski there.

I know some colleagues that skied in Svalbard (way further North). Need to take firearms apparently, unless you fancy being the next dinner for a polar bear!
ski holidays

Speaking of which...
ski holidays
Arno, surprising to see that they still use old school drying methods.
ski holidays
And do any of you know where the main market is for it?

Good thing about being on the boat is that we used to fish* as well after skiing, and so much cod !

Plus some, not all of the islands** are fish depots, so we'd call in and come away with fresh halibut and the like.

* See that main video I link to and fast forward and you'll see what I mean
** Many are only inhabited in the summer
ski holidays
according to the team cod expert the main markets for lofoten dried cod are Italy and Nigeria
latest report
The snow was too good to even consider a diversion to cod fishing. Plus we had our mountain rescue responsibilities to attend to...again
latest report
Flouncymark wrote:
Plus we had our mountain rescue responsibilities to attend to...again

Again!? Shocked It's like you're a muppet magnet, or something...

And just which one of you was the team cod expert? Laughing
latest report
Whereabouts in henningsvaer were you Flouncymark, ? We spent 3 days there one Nov. on a works strategy meeting (seriously- our CEO was Swedish and wanted to show us northern Scandi). Couldn't all fit in one hotel so were spread around town. As you say an absolutely wonderful place, and it was greatto get away from the madding crowds. Your photos bring back wonderful memories.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy