Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids' clubs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As some of you may know the dry slope at Bassingbourn is under threat of closure as the barracks that it is sited on has an uncertain future. There are plans and negotiations ongoing, and I'm sure the club will have a future one way or another, but in the mean time I need to find some alternative.

For me that's easy enough, and it gives me a good excuse to get some new qualifications so I can teach at a wider range of places. But I'm having a harder time finding something comparable to the junior club that is run at Bassingbourn anywhere nearby.

Can anyone recommend a kids' club at a slope within an hour from Cambridge? Realistically that limits it to:
- the dry slope at Welywn;
- Snow Centre in Hemel Hempstead
- Snozone at MK.
- Tallington
Ideally it would a weekly or monthly session where children get some instruction with other children of a similar ability while having fun.

I don't particularly want to book private lessons as my daughter enjoys the social aspect of the club environment, and she is well beyond standard beginners courses. I'm not sure how she would take to a more race-training-focussed session (she's only 6, nearly 7), but it's something I'd consider at a push.

I know I've been totally spoilt by Bassingbourn's prices (I think it was just over £100 for a year of junior club, and £5 a time when her little sister wanted to join in and play on skis with an instructor for half an hour) and I don't mind paying more, but want it to be something comparable in quality if I do, and the setup at Bassingbourn was excellent.

The websites for the above slopes are all a bit thin on details, and I'm particularly after personal recommendations of what the clubs are like.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's some info about MK http://skimkraceteam.roundtablelive.org/ apart from what I've read on the website I don't know any more about them. Been thinking about Jnr joining though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks hammerite - looks interesting. If you go (or others are already members) I'd welcome any reports on what it's like for a 6 year old there. Particularly on how fun or serious it is.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Norwich may be too far for you but the Junior Club there is very good - it's on a Saturday morning with different times according to ability. They do different activities each week such as racing, freestyle, waves and moguls. Costs £5.50 a session with family membership about £60 a year. Mine both love it!

There is also a poles session on a Friday evening which lots of young people go to which is race training focused, also £5.50 a session.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, Norwich is sadly too far, but it sounds perfect. I've often wished it was closer as it's clearly a club that's doing well with a slope that's getting the necessary investment.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Any more? Surely other slopes must have this sort of club, and the collective snowheads experience would be really helpful.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kieranm - Brentwood Park? The pricing is going to way eclipse your current rates, but your bang on the hour away (down the M11/M25 intersection, then 10 minutes till you hit the dry slope).

Kids ski 10 till 12 on saturday mornings (not that they are ever off the slope at bang on 12!) all ages, all polite. There is normally at least two groups, one for beginers and one for those who can ski - this is the bridge to the Thursday night race club (7-9 pm) which is small but perfectly formed. The advanced group get the poles/stubbies out regulary and those that progress are actively encouraged to practice with the race club. The club and it's skiers participate in the ERSA series.

I have two daughters, one the keen skier, one the pony club girl (don't go there if you think sking is expensive :0 ) who infrequently comes along - she is always welcomed despite being a sporadic visitor. Both day and evening sessions get the thumbs up here.

http://www.brentwoodskicentre.co.uk/site/price.htm#Children
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kieranm, They have a kids club at Tallington too. It's a long time since my kids went, but it was broadly similar to Bassingbourn's ( I used to ski there, in fact I helped lay the Dendix...) and used to run after the kids' lessons held on Saturday mornings. I don't have up to date knowledge but if you give them a call I'm sure they will fill you in. http://www.tallington.com/land-activities/dry-ski-slope
Or Hemel?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks andrew_e and snowyowl - just the sort of thing I'm after. I can see I'm going to have a few days out to give them all a try.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

one the pony club girl (don't go there if you think sking is expensive :0 )

Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kieranm, My daughter has been doing her L1 shadowing at Tallington all winter. She hasn't actually shadowed the kids clubs and I've only actually seen evidence of the Tigers taking place. Tallington is quite a small set up and they only really have 3 really regular instructors. Their FB page is quite useful too https://www.facebook.com/TallingtonLakes Natalie may be doing some work there in the summer and next winter.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy