Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Realistic are my plans of spending 13/14 Season in Japan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

I spent an unbelievable week over New Year in Niseko, however it has ruined me in the sense that I no longer want to ski anything that's not waist deep... Laughing

I'm planning the whole graduating-from-uni-and-doing-a-season thing and would love to do it in Japan. I'm almost convinced it's not going to be feasible when compared to just going to the Alps, but I'm looking for opinions or information which might convince me one way or the other. I have no instructor qualification so would be looking at restaurant/bar/hotel/driver type work. My concerns are as follows:

- Language barrier: I don't speak Japanese. From what I gather, other than Niseko, Hakuba and a few of the other mountains popular with the Aussies, in many of the ski towns English is not very widely spoken.

- Finding a job: Other than SkiJapan.com I'm struggling to find any companies who offer employment to English speakers.

- Terrain: There's no doubt that the Niseko snow quality was top drawer, but the terrain is somewhat tame in terms of gradient and elevation. Will I get bored?

- Cost of flights: I'm a broke student and after the plane ticket, I won't be left with much to see me through the season.

- Social life in resort: While I'm predominantly interested in snow quality and terrain rather than raving every other night, a wee boogey now and then wouldn't go amiss.

Is it unrealistic for a skint Brit to consider a working season in Japan?

I loved the no-whooping-&-hollering attitude they have over their in regards to snowsports - there's very little cowdoo compared to other countries I've skied in and you can just rip about the mountain without being told your 'steeze is whack' (or something?). I think a season there would be very different and more rewarding than just heading to the French Alps like everyone else.

I know there are a few Snowheads out there (MagSeven, Mike Pow etc.) Any opinions or shared experience would be appreciated, Cheers

Fergus
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fergus, looking into this as an option myself and would be interested in what you learn.

Language: some basic lessons before going will probably go a long way at the other end.

Flights: BA sales are the way to go I'm told.

Can't really comment on the terrain bit and don't know much about seasonal work available. However, MikePow's blog suggested that some Aussies spend the season working there so there must be some non-instructor work.

Good luck!

Edit: you aren't a Caterham owner are you? The signature gives away some possible petrol head roots.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My brother spent a season working in gala yuzawa resort in Japan a year ago. He worked on equipment hire but did need some Japanese. The accommodation was provided full board and they were able to ski daily. There were english speakers working there. I think you'll need some japanese. If you want me to find out more I can ask him.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at this page

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/working-at-japanese-ski-resorts.html

Without some Japanese you are going to find yourself at (possibly quite a substantial) competitive disadvantage.

You need to look into the visa situation too (which will require you to show you have a certain amounts of funds in your account).

http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/visa/working-holiday.html

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1412227

So to reverse your question how much effort are you willing to put into the idea of a season in Japan?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK, thanks for the tips nozawaonsen, and Itrav - any info on your brothers season would be appreciated! (what nationality is he?)

Sounds like the lack of basic Japanese will make things difficult. Will have a think about this and do some more research. Have been meaning to post up on snowjapan forum and maybe TGR also.

Rishie wrote:
Can't really comment on the terrain bit and don't know much about seasonal work available. However, MikePow's blog suggested that some Aussies spend the season working there so there must be some non-instructor work.

Good luck!

Edit: you aren't a Caterham owner are you? The signature gives away some possible petrol head roots.

Yes, I'll try to track down some info on how the aussie seasonaires do it. And no, I'm not a petrol-head, sorry! Didn't even know this phrase originated in motorsport Embarassed

Thanks guys
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fergus, get cracking with some Japanese lessons and check out the Aussie forums.

http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've had friends go to Japan and work at ski resorts through an Australian company called boobooSKI (www.boobooski.com). They find jobs for people at ski resorts in winter and Okinawa beach resorts in summer. According to their website they're already taking applications - worth checking out, my friends had fun.

Ski Japan seems to be more focussed toward tourists rather than seasonal workers

Quote:

Language barrier: I don't speak Japanese. From what I gather, other than Niseko, Hakuba and a few of the other mountains popular with the Aussies, in many of the ski towns English is not very widely spoken.

boobooSKI have positions that don't need any Japanese.

Quote:

- Terrain: There's no doubt that the Niseko snow quality was top drawer, but the terrain is somewhat tame in terms of gradient and elevation. Will I get bored?

I think most of boobooSKIs positions are in Hakuba. There's some amazing terrain there backcountry!

Quote:

Cost of flights: I'm a broke student and after the plane ticket, I won't be left with much to see me through the season.

JetStar Smile Food and accommodation are provided so you won't need much anyway! Just drinking money

Quote:

Social life in resort: While I'm predominantly interested in snow quality and terrain rather than raving every other night, a wee boogey now and then wouldn't go amiss.

Hakuba's got bars and restaurants like Niseko, maybe even more.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I spent an unbelievable week over New Year in Niseko, however it has ruined me in the sense that I no longer want to ski anything that's not waist deep...

Remember that while Japan has a reputation for powder, it also has bad weeks/years like everyone else. Don't make the punter mistake of assuming your whole season will be like that holiday you had once.

boobooSKI look like a good bet, though they require a minimum six months spent getting to grips with Japanese. Best start now! Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fergus, it may not be the resort you first think of, but Lodge Scole in Zao certainly takes in non Japanese for a season, working in the lodge, waiting,cleaning, bed making etc. Zao is a great resort and there is a town (small). They have a Facebook page and some of their past seasonairs have posts on there, you will have to search a bit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies, people. I'm currently talking to someone in Myoko Kogen about possibly heading there. Will check out boobooski also. It certainly seems do-able, I just need to decide if I want it enough
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy