Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Convert (typical at the end of the season)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I sustained a foot injury in the middle of my recent ski week which left me unable to execute right turns on my skis. In order not to waste the lift pass and last days on the slopes I took a friend's suggestion (and put aside my prejudices) and spent a day and a half on a snowboard. What can I say - I loved it! I was mostly rubbish, but was linking turns by the end of my first afternoon and it was nice to be working hard and finding things tricky again.

I'm considering taking a few lessons over the summer in one of the fridges around London - does anyone have any experience or recommendations of who/what to do? I took a private lesson whilst away and felt that in those two hours I learned a lot. Is there a minimum standard to aim for?

Also - is it worth picking up any equipment? I was thinking more boots than board - I always struggled in hire ski boots, and felt like my feet were swimming in the hire ones we had (though they're supposed to be comfortable, I did feel like there was no ankle support at all). Does anyone have any recommendations of where to buy in and around London, and also whether one lacing system makes any difference from another? Are the "beginner friendly" boots I've seen online substantially different from other boots?

Lots of questions - but a definite convert (from a complete refusenik) . I think we'll be on one ski week/one snowboard week from hereon in. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spannah, Well Mr Huhne seems happy enough.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spannah wrote:
......around London - does anyone have any experience or recommendations of who/what to do?

Go and sit in the middle lane of the M25. Should be good practice Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thornyhill wrote:

Go and sit in the middle lane of the M25. Should be good practice Happy

Excellent point, thank you! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spannah,

Rental gear in fridges in my experience is appalling so if you want to progress 'here' would suggest to buy your own kit asap.

Not sure what conditions you had when learning but would recommend some body protection in the form of impact shorts ( or at least bum protector) , wrist guards & if venturing on ice/hard pack a back protector & of course, a helmet.

For boots , good time to buy now as quite a few end of season discounts; depends of foot shape really but I have Burton Rulers & they are sooo comfy. They also have a speed lace system that is pretty good. Quite like the look of the BOA lace system & will probably go that way when I buy another pair.

Board; depends on what you into....park or mountain. have a look at 'the good ride' website, where there are lots of reviews & tech detail to assist you in your choice.Again, some end of season discounts around.

You will also need bindings for your board; I have step in as am the wrong side of 50 & cant be doing the up/down/bendy thing faffing about especially in the UK domes. Plus I seem to travel with skiers so need to get a crack on when getting off the lifts.

Any more Q's please ask.

Mitch
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spannah, boots are the same as ski boots, ie buy the ones that fit the best. You might find coming from hard ski boots that your preference would be for a slightly stiffer boot. I've only tried Salomon's 'speedlace' system other than straight tie up laces, and it's really good. Other mates have dual zone systems with cam lock type things which they rate. Boas are super convenient and whilst working are great, but have been known to fail, but AIUI it's quite rare.

Best bet is to go to one of the bigger shops soon - S&R, EllisB etc and see what they have in stock, try on a heap, and buy if you like - you might scoop a bargain.

BTW when trying on boots you might or might not get told "when you stand in boots your toes should touch the end, then as you flex into 'riding position' your toes will come away from the end". Some people think this is the best way to get a good fit, my personal experience is this is that it's not. It made my first holiday a painful time!!! Buy so that your comfy, snugg with little or no movement and no real heel lift.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to the Darkside, help yourself to cookies.

Sounds like you're heading down the right route to improve your riding. Practice a bit first, sounds like you'll have no problem tackling the fridges with your current set of skills. Think more lessons is a good idea though - too many people just learn how to link turns together then assume thats it. Practice switching from edge to edge, and controlling the length of your turns.

Beginner boots, as far as I can see, are just soft. As you're used to a ski boot that probably won't be much of an issue for you, plus you'll probably progress faster than an absolute beginner, so if you are going to buy boots I wouldn't worry too much about them, maybe look for something with a decent mid-range flex to it that'll last you a while without going all floppy on you... Fastening method is pretty much personal preference - I swear by the Boa system as its easy to adjust on the fly, but equally I know people who hate it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A wise choice, young grasshopper. One plank is better than two Smile

Definitely get a board and boots. I've got Salomon boots, with that quick lace thing and to be honest I do have to stop every few runs and tighten the outer lace. They're a lot easier and quicker than proper laces though. In the board scheme of things, if you're planning on going to a fridge say, once every 3 weeks or so pick up a bendy park board in the sales and use that to learn on, and gain confidence. When it comes to the next mountain season, you can then look for a longer, more advanced board if you want one. As for bindings, I like the build quality of Unions stuff, but I got a cheap pair of Burton ones that hurt my feet less. It seems to be a bit hit and miss.

The best gear guide I found was the White Lines one - try and download that if you can, it'll give you a decent idea about what to expect from a board and where to start with a set of bindings. Shop wise, I had good service in person at the EB store in MK, and good online service from Freezepro and BoardridersGuide. Snowboard specific clubs are handy for slope time and new kit discount too Wink

Fridges... I can't recommend Hemel enough. They're a little more expensive than MK but the snow is far more fun and challenging than MK and the changing rooms are a far nicer environment. You can get a membership that'll bring the price down on lift passes and they have some really good offers - they've got unlimited slope time for the easter break for about £75 at the moment which is an absolute *steal*. I had lessons at MK and to be honest the instruction wasn't stellar, but it taught me the basics so I could get on the main slope and refine it slowly and in my own time. Sounds like you've already done the hard bit!

If you can link turns, then book one of the main slope ready lessons (Level 4 at MK, not sure what it is at Hemel) and see how you feel. Try it on the hire kit and see how it goes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
call me dave,

Last summer & into Autumn ( till November I think) the unlimited pass at Hemel was £50/month so hopefully they will be repeating that offer Madeye-Smiley

Mitch
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you! Hemel is the closest fridge to me, and whilst it'll probably have to coincide with more trips to the family in the "country" I'm sure it's a price worth paying! Once I've got past this injury I'll pop up for a couple of lessons and then spend the summer practising a bit.

I popped into S&R yesterday and the chap there spent a long time trying to help me (and my broken foot) into what they had left in my size. Unfortunately the frontrunner is the most hideous boot I've ever seen, making my sparkly-white ski boots look like the epitome of taste. Needs must, eh! I might pop into EB for a look at what they have to offer though.

I have to say I'm surprised at how unanimous the advice is to buy a board - I thought that the boots would be sufficient, but see that I'm mistaken. Fortunately BA owe me quite a lot in compensation for a delayed flight a few years back, so I can spend that on more winter sports kit! Hurrah!

Maybe I'll see some of you at Hemel at some point!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As you've discovered it's worth being able to snowboard as it gives you an option when hurt/bored/tired to do something a bit different but I can't see the benefit in a 50/50 approach unless you get unlimited skiing time or are already a skiing god so well into dimishing returns on that. I'd pick one and focus on it for a while in all honesty.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
welcome to the dark side Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i have boots with a boa inner tightener and laces on the out side.. works well just remember to do the laces up tight for the aftertnoon slush fest
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy