Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

first pair of skis to buy

Poster: A snowHead
hello all,

i recently moved to Poland and with the mountains only 30 mins drive away have been skiing a few times. before this my last skiing was 35 years ago when i went alpine skiing for 7-8 weeks. i considered myself a decent skier at the time and am looking to re ignite the passion !
i have had 3 lessons here and seem to be remembering most of it, and am probably intermediate standard.
i have seen a few what look like good deals in the end of season sales and was wondering if any of you would be able to give me a bit of advice as to which may be suitable, or to carry on renting a while longer while i improve?

i am 51 yo, 181cm tall, 85kg and will be skiing almost all on-piste, but would like the option to be able to ski a little powder maybe

the skis i like the sound of are salomon s force 7 size 167, atomic redster x5 skis 168 cm, head v shape v6 163 or 170cm, elan wingman 78ti 168 cm, are these sizes ok for me ? and would the models be ok or would i improve beyond these skiing 2-3 times per week?

any help very much appreciated

thanks Dave
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davewilki, have you bought boots? massively more important ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi David, welcome to Snowheads Smile.

Apart from your age all your specifications suit mine. Intermediate on advanced, Mostly piste skier but likes to dabble in the soft sfuff.

I recently bought my own 1st pair of ski's. Have a look at the Elan Ripstick 88's. I have only tried them on the indoor snow slope but they was easy to move about and loads of fun. I got the 173cm but I feel I could've fine for the 179cm.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davewilki, again welcome. I’d suggest boots first, then rent skis until you know what you really want. You’ll get loads of recommendations here but only you will really know what works best for you, and only after you’ve skied a few pairs. Things will have changed in the years you’ve not skied. I wouldnt rush to buy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Echo the statements above, but I general id say you're looking too short. 170 cm + or thereabout for someone your height and weight.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, if you really want to buy skis, not boots, at your weight (height doesn't matter) looking a bit shortish
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with those who say you would be better on something around 180. You are right to look at something a little wider, for extra versatility - so 76-80 underfoot.

Another potential ski might be the Head Titan in a 177.

I also think Boots first - and rent to get a feel for what you like.

Keep going with the lessons, until totally comfortable with adapting to new technique.

BTW. Welcome to the fold.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 14-03-21 10:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hi,

yes i have boots, atomic hawk prime 100, was measured and fitted locally and have tried last week and they seem great
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and thanks for the warm welcome Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davewilki wrote:
hi,

yes i have boots, atomic hawk prime 100, was measured and fitted locally and have tried last week and they seem great

They may be a bit soft for your weight, height and ability......but I believe the boot can be stiffened, by bringing the flex up to 110, with the addition of a bolt.....even then, while better, would still be on the soft side (imo).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
davewilki wrote:
hi,

They may be a bit soft for your weight, height and ability......but I believe the boot can be stiffened, by bringing the flex up to 110, with the addition of a bolt.....even then, while better, would still be on the soft side (imo).

Interesting. My boots are 110 flex, custom fitted. I find them about spot on and would say I’m a mostly piste oriented, fairly “aggressive” skier.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davewilki, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Are there good opportunities to test skis across various models/ranges? I found that incredibly useful when selecting my latest skis, eventually opting for some that allowed a bit of room to “grow” into...as in working on some technique improvements would enable me to get closer to the skis limits (not that I think that is probably likely Laughing ).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cacciatore wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
davewilki wrote:
hi,

Interesting. My boots are 110 flex, custom fitted. I find them about spot on and would say I’m a mostly piste oriented, fairly “aggressive” skier.

What weight and height are you?

I'm 5'10 and 65 kg - and 110 is about right. The OP is 85kg and 5' 11.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cacciatore, You definitely don't hang about on the piste Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RE flex, a lot depends on your leg geometry and your personal preference. I am 76kg and much prefer a stiffer boot, when using my softer touring boots (about 40 less) I really need to adapt my style and ski gently.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
davewilki wrote:
hi,

What weight and height are you?

I'm 5'10 and 65 kg - and 110 is about right. The OP is 85kg and 5' 11.

176cm (so about the same as you) and 84kg. When I had the boots fitted (9 years ago), I was probably about 110kg and most definitely waaayyy overweight.
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
@Cacciatore, You definitely don't hang about on the piste Laughing

Not sure we’ve skied together since the new Atomics were acquired, most sadly!

Toofy Grin
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:

176cm (so about the same as you) and 84kg. When I had the boots fitted (9 years ago), I was probably about 110kg and most definitely waaayyy overweight.

Interesting indeed.

It sounds as if a 110 flex hasn't held you back. In "theory", I would have said 120 would be more suitable (especially as you push on)- but in practice, you (and a good bootfitter) are in the best position to judge.
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, We defo need to grab some quiet pistes early next season. I can bring out the GS skis Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

Interesting indeed.

It sounds as if a 110 flex hasn't held you back. In "theory", I would have said 120 would be more suitable (especially as you push on)- but in practice, you (and a good bootfitter) are in the best position to judge.

Thanks for the insight Smile . To be honest, I’m in two minds. Several people, who I respect for their skiing experience have suggested moving on to a 120 flex. However, the current boots are pretty comfortable and, other than a liner replacement two seasons ago, have served well.
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
@Cacciatore, We defo need to grab some quiet pistes early next season. I can bring out the GS skis Twisted Evil

Yes! Most definitely, Scarpa Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, There is an awful lot to be said for comfort.
ski holidays
@davewilki, what are the mountains like in Poland?

There is a Polish skier on YouTube who instructs in the Dolimites.
He is probably stuck at home in Poland this winter.

Look out for him..

http://youtube.com/v/uW4F8AEiofk

Ski wise .. I'd go for Head Magnum or
Rossignol Hero or Salomon Max S12 for skiing on the piste.
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
@davewilki, what are the mountains like in Poland?

There is a Polish skier on YouTube who instructs in the Dolimites.
He is probably stuck at home in Poland this winter.

Look out for him..

http://youtube.com/v/uW4F8AEiofk

Ski wise .. I'd go for Head Magnum or
Rossignol Hero or Salomon Max S12 for skiing on the piste.

will do, although i have seen many great skiers here.

The high Tatras around Zakopane are very beautiful, i have only been in the little beskids yet near Bielsko-Biala

from what i have seen so far the resorts tend to cater for more beginners and intermediates, so might not be for the experts so much, but is fine for me for a good while, and there are over 20 more i havent been to yet ; Smile

all have been fairly quiet when i go in the mornings and it looks inexpensive for lessons/ hire lift passes
snow report
I have Atomic Hawx Prime 110S (over 50, 196cm, 100 kgs) so 100 seems fine to me.

If you've been and are still hiring ski's anyway then just hire different ski's that match your base criteria each day and choose the one you like best.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy