Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Video Camera

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,
I did warn you after I had joined there would be loads of questions..............
Now I have my 2014 family ski holiday booked one question is 'how to make sure we have great memories of it'?
I have a couple of decent point and shoot cameras, a panasonic and a samsung, but recently I have been looking at the latest ranges of video cameras. Small and lets say for instance helmet mounted but as with everything now adays it is a mine field SO;
Advice please, can you recommend any?

I am no politician or banker (though I have been called the second a time or two, think thats what they are saying anyway) so price related to performance answers please.

Many thanks
DJ
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This should help

http://reviews.mtbr.com/pov-action-cam-shootout-camera-best

Good detail on all major pov cameras Smile

I personally have a gopro and am very pleased with the quality i can get from it. The hero 3 is even better in quality so for me it would be my go to camera if i didn't already have a hero 2. The price is really the only issue for the gopro
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm thinking about a video camera too.

It'd be for recording each other as we ski down on touring descents. As we swap the order around, something handheld would be easier.

http://pocket-camcorder.toptenreviews.com/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Andy06 great link. Rather interestingly I asked a friend who recently posted some videos he had take at Pas de la Casa what he had used and it was a GoPro. He has offered to borrow me it for our holiday. Very generous and I may take him up on it, however not always a fan of using other peoples kit, loss, damage etc so I will be taking a good look at the GoPro's

DB, never really gave a handheld much though but it is a great idea, I already own a Kodak Playsport that I bought to use in the Red Sea and love the underwater results, so will definately test above water and take it with me.

Best regards

DJ
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DJ,

The main benefit of a 'real' camcorder is thatthey tend to come with digital or optical zooms and have other features that are useful. The downside is the limited mounting options and the weatherproofing.

The POV wearable cameras (gopro, contour and the rest) have significantly more flexible mounting options, are generally more resillient to weather and abuse and of course can be had held as well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ansta1,

Most of the pocket camcorders I linked to have zoom (most 4x but a couple have 10x & 12x). Quality isn't going to be the best but might be a better solution than carrying around a large, heavy camcorder.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, quite right, and by 'real camcorders' I guess I was including the smaller pocket types in that group.

BTW Had some fun with some of my cameras at the weekend at Santa Pod - Drag Race team wanted some footage. 9 litre 1967 Camaro putting out 1000hp had cameras in the car, on the car, under the car, stuff that you couldn't get with a standard camcorder. Blimey some of these cars are quick and incidentally I learnt that not all Drag races are a straight race to the line and are very technical.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most point and shoot, pocketable, cameras have way more than acceptable video quality now and some have really good optical zoom. I've been using the video shooting capability on my RX100 for a while and it's great, although needs an ND filter to cope with skiing in bright light.

This group on Vimeo really demonstrates the versatility of using such a small stills camera for shooting video:
http://vimeo.com/groups/150129
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy