Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Duffel bags

Poster: A snowHead
I need a big squishy bag into which I can fit my entire life. Don't want wheels, do want backpack straps. Currently considering these:

Rab Cargo 60l http://www.facewest.co.uk/Rab-Expedition-Kit-Bag.html
Helly Hansen duffel http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/hh-duffel-bag-50l-67002/
Vango duffel http://www.vango.co.uk/travel/cargo-65.html

Any other suggestions? Not forking out for North Face, silly prices and I don't actually need something which will stand up to being mauled by a frenzied yak.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lizzard, north face maybe expensive but they are VERY good, eBay has some good deals usually
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29, they are hors de budget, and I don't need something which will withstand a nuclear blast. I know whgat they're like, I already have a small one.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The TNF bags also scream "I contain shiny kit, steal from me!"
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, ok, that Vango one looks like it'd fall to bits at the first sight of a yak!

There's a pretty cool red TNF one on eBay that's been to Antarctica, worth a punt IMO.

meh, fair point, ex Army kit bag then!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, Try this company

http://www.m-24.co.uk/

Each bag is a one off and made from recycled curtain sides from lorrys so they are really thick. I saw them at the ski show last year and the bags really look serviceable, very strong and roomy - they make the handles out of old seat belts and they were putting very industrial style zips in them. I was very impressed with the product and the concept. They do huge holdall type ones, ones for skis and all sorts of models besides. I didn't have a need for a bag like that, but I thought what excellent looking bags they were. They do a duffel style one here: http://www.m-24.co.uk/collections/oil-drum-duffel They had those ones at the show and they are a huge bag.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, those are very cool.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh, they would be lying, in my case. Laughing

Markymark29, plus postage etc. and messing with eBay when I have other things to do. You need to listen ...... not buying a TNF duffel, all right?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, snazzy, but lacking in necessary features - need backpack straps and handles at each end.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, we have these, http://www.gelert.com/products/alpha_80l_transit_bag

Technique Extreme had them at good price

Sorry, has wheels, no straps. Should have read post!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, Ffs, please yourself
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29, you have to admit I was fairly specific about my requirements. You have shares in TNF or what? Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, No, their ski gear is pretty poor IMO, however bags are good. Liking those recycled m24 ones but lacking features as you say.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/browse-by-brand/mountain-equipment/mountain-equipment-kit-bags

These are pretty solid and they nearly always seem to be discounted. Not sure about shipping to France
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DJL, I've looked at those (like the discounted price!) but they don't appear to have backpack straps. Unless you know different?
ski holidays
I thought they did have and seem to recall squaddies on the train to/from Colchester carrying them as backpacks. They might just have slipped the carrying handles over their shoulders though.

I walk almost past the Leyden St branch on the way to work but won't be there again until Tuesday. I'll drop in for a look (good excuse to go and look at shiny stuff I don't need!).
snow report
Shoulder straps on 100 & 140 litre versions according to the blurb.
ski holidays
DJL, 100l is unnecessarily cavernous, but I'd go for the 70l version if it has shoulder straps
latest report
I have the Rab one and Mrs 1G has a similar one by salomon. The Rab one is slightly smaller but easily fits my lifes belongings, the Salomon is a larger one and feels more heavy duty (sorry not got time to search for a link to it.)

Both of them have rucksack style straps as well as normal carrying handles, compression straps and grab handles at the end.

When used in rucksack mode I find the position and shape of the straps on the Rab one much more comfortable but this could be due to the difference in bag sizes.

Great at the airport, grab them off the conveyer, release shoulder straps, throw it on your back and your away, no fighting with trollies, wheely cases or locals offering to carry your bag to a taxi.

Hope that helps.
snow conditions
1 guest, I am leaning towards the Rab one, assuming it's big enough. May have to go and do some size comparisons in Espace Montagne, I feel.
ski holidays
Lizzard, I've got the TNF bags in both Large (90L) and Extra Large (140L). The large is a good size if you're going away for a week. The XL is good if you're going away and never coming back. It's huge. You could get a body in there.

I see the Rabs are about the same capacity. And although 100L might sound a lot, by the time you have put your entire life inside, you might have trouble doing up the zip. Whether you can then pick it up is another question.Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, I think the Vango and the HH are too small to 'fit your life in' a bit more like a long weekend. 50x30x30 is quite small.

The Rab 100l looks like a much better bet.
latest report
Scout shops (online) used to sell a big kitbag with rucksack style straps, carrying handles - my son has one. Lizzard,
snow report
Cotswold Outdoors have had Mountain Equipment duffels on discount for aaages. Very good bags.
ski holidays
Skier from Argentina, rogg, WTF are you lot carting around? 90l for a week, are you mental? Laughing

I used to live out of a 50l rucksack back in the day, hence my estimation that 60l will be adequate. I'm not planning on packing winter gear, as this will remain stashed in my board bag until required. I also have a car, so I don't actually need to get my bike into the bag.
snow conditions
I got a good deal on an older generation of these

http://www.patagonia.com/eu/enGB/product/black-hole-duffel-120l-gear-bag?p=49350-0-602

I like it because it is block shaped rather than cylindrical so things seem to pack better into it. has held up well to abuse. available in smaller sizes if 120l is too big
snow report
... but having said that, and looking at the TNF small duffel at 42l, I think rogg may be right.
ski holidays
I can confirm the Mountain Equipment ones DO have backpack straps. I love mine - 100l and I struggle to fill it
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the fact that I can order from Amazon France and get free postage and speedy delivery may well sell me the Helly Hanson 90 litre in alarming orange. Can't be having with drab luggage. Laughing
ski holidays
100l Mountain Equipment duffel bags are great. I have had one for a few years and used it many many times. Tough as nails and comfy to carry. Good value too.

Recently saw a Montane version too. Seemed pretty good. http://www.montane.co.uk/range/packs/transition-60 . They also do a 100l version.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy