Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your Ultimate 2 ski quiver

Poster: A snowHead
Markymark29, yep, was offered a really nice price on the last pair of 7s (only a pre-release this season, full release for next). Ski a lot like a slimmed down Bibby Pro, much lighter and more reactive though with two full sheets of carbon. Great in pow, I miss the Bibby's dampness a bit in cut-up/cruddy snow, but exactly what I'm want in a pow touring ski. Build quality is really really good too. The Soul Riders are also very light for their size, great on long slogs but not the same in deep snow on the way down.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, wow, that movie is so inspiring. Like the way the guy in red jacket skis those drop offs! Sigur Ros works as soundtrack. That night skiing!! Going green
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, nice
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Pow, that second vid is great. I was thinking if you/pals had ever got a bad hit on a tree in midst of a faceshot, and then at about 3.40 in that vid one of you came pretty close to a decap!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow, great footage, how often do you get those conditions?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
AndAnotherThing.., I had a bid in on some 9GS 's but didnt get em, what is the difference between the 8's and 9's?

I think the 9's are a bit stiffer but the spec's do seem to vary from model year to model year, including the width. The ones I have are 80ish if I recall.

The pow on the day of your vid was very nice, we skied the stad just after you. Lovely.

I loved my karma's wink It's a shame I retired them to touring duties. Not sure what the current 'Karma' is. The Bridge ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ready for the off

[img][/img]
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, they are doing a good job of impersonating little and large!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's another fine mess they've got me into wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc, I can understand the physics of why those big one float you over the deep stuff, but how on earth do you ski them if you end up having to cross pistes, say to return home. They look nigh on impossible to rock from edge to edge. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got a two ski quiver wink , but I don't know how 'ultimate' it is.

Elan Magfire 78 Ti
Size 168 cm,
radius = 15.4 m
Sidecut: 123-78-105
Claimed 80:20 on/off piste

Elan Amphibios waveflex 12
Size:168cm
Dimensions:125/74/104
Radius:14
Rocker Type:All Mountain Rocker

In fact putting them together like that they aren't actually much different Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My rossi s3's in 177cm for off piste and trees and bumps, (superb bump ski, flatter my dodgy technique, and mean i now look for bumps!!) rockered tips and tails. Really light and quick for a 98mm ski, work reasonably well on piste with edges at 3 deg side. Much prefer them to the s7, and in powder i like the sensation of being in it rather than on it.

Elan Apex in 177cm for piste and crud etc just rockered tip, basically a fatter GS ski
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, agreed, will share!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndAnotherThing.., Kendos ski really like Karmas but have a flat tail. I had apair of Bridges and Karmas and they didn't have the same feel to them really, Bridges were pretty dull on piste I thought.

No idea what my ultimate 2 ski quiver would be. I have a pair of SL sksi which are great fun on piste and the only time I ever enjoy icy conditions. I have a pair of Auras which are great but a bit stiff and/or long in tricky conditions, a pair of S3 which are great but a bit soft/short, great in difficult conditions though. I would like something between the S3 and the Aura, Blizzard One/Crush looks good but is no longer made. Once I get the everyday ski sorted I would like something softer, longer and fatter for fun Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:
Here we are hitting the difference between narrow and wide skis.

Compare Mike Pow's clips above with this clip from 3:40.

http://youtube.com/v/i7Aaew1NSzc

Personally if I'm on or off piste the fun is not going down the mountain in an almost straight line but in leaving nice curvy tracks (big or small) behind.

I've skied most of the terrain in that clip but without the airs, and I leave nice curvy tracks behind me too.

It just doesn't look like I'm turning much because I'm not slinging my hip sideways and punching through with my downhill hand.
snow report
DoubleBombardino wrote:
Mike Pow, that second vid is great. I was thinking if you/pals had ever got a bad hit on a tree in midst of a faceshot, and then at about 3.40 in that vid one of you came pretty close to a decap!

Thanks.

And thankfully no. I made it on this one.

Got to keep your wits about you though.
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
Mike Pow, great footage, how often do you get those conditions?

Thanks.

Haven't had a chance to check but of the 102 days I've been out this skiing this Hokkaido winter I'd say at least 40 were boot top powder deep or deeper.

Here's the season report

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93446
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Mosha Marc, I can understand the physics of why those big one float you over the deep stuff, but how on earth do you ski them if you end up having to cross pistes, say to return home. They look nigh on impossible to rock from edge to edge. Laughing

You just tip them more, but there in lies the issue. If you don't have the feel of carving you won't know if or when you have wider skis on edge. I believe I've got this wrong for many years.
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
I've skied most of the terrain in that clip but without the airs, and I leave nice curvy tracks behind me too.

It just doesn't look like I'm turning much because I'm not slinging my hip sideways and punching through with my downhill hand.

Maybe it's because you are holding up the camera on a pole but in comparison you look as though you are standing very upright. It looks as though you are skiing the base underneath the powder and just letting the powder slow you down. It could be because it isn't that steep but even your ski buddy without the camera appears to be standing on the skis with very little pole planting or absorption / extension etc. It doesn't look as though you are edging the skis much at all. Still looks ruddy good fun though, I'd love to get 40 days of that in a season on something that would surf it a little more. snowHead
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Maybe it's because you are holding up the camera on a pole but in comparison you look as though you are standing very upright.

Spot on. Try to be as tall and relaxed as I can.

Quote:
It looks as though you are skiing the base underneath the powder and just letting the powder slow you down.

A lot of the time.

Patience in the fall line letting the skis sink into the powder. Once they've created a platform then the skis can be pivotted for direction change, speed control or both.

Quote:
It could be because it isn't that steep but even your ski buddy without the camera appears to be standing on the skis with very little pole planting or absorption / extension etc.

Everything from green run fringes to 35 degree tree runs in those vids.

I don't practice or teach pole planting.

In my opinion the pole plant makes you small, which in turn makes you heavier on your skis, which in turn makes it more difficult to pivot your skis just using your feet.

Pole planting and fixing your balance point to turn around your pole puts your balance uphill and can briing knee, hip and shoulder rotation into the mix when turning.

There's plenty of extension and absorption going on underneath the snow surface.

Quote:
It doesn't look as though you are edging the skis much at all.

Enough edge for direction change across the fall line but the aim is to ski on a flatter platform.

Quote:
Still looks ruddy good fun though, I'd love to get 40 days of that in a season on something that would surf it a little more. snowHead

Everyone should try Hokkaido powder at least once in their ski life.

Sorry for the thread "pivot".
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
kitenski,...Guy in red is on Redeemers and surfing,....

http://youtube.com/v/E_3wOLe9PLQ

They were actually Preachers Happy

I currently use 189 Preachers and 170 Salomon 24 Hours as my two ski quiver...although I have cheated on piste with 165 Atomic SL D2's a couple of times this season...
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:

Not possible to only do this once...once you have been there....you will DEFINITELY want to go back!
snow report
Mike Pow, interesting re upright stance, pole plant and pivot - I had wondered about all these things when viewing your videos of the Royal Visits.
latest report
But, back on topic, I have enough trouble managing one pair of skis in airports, let alone two. Embarassed
snow report
Likewise Pedantica.

Bloody expensive and heavy.
snow conditions
Touchguru, oops I stand corrected ! but you are a relatively lightweight ( a very strong and powerful lightweight though Very Happy )
ski holidays
Pedantica, Yep, 1 pair is as many as I want to lug around.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:

When does the Japow season start/finish? Are you out there the whole season, and do you work for a school or do you have more of a Booker/'Lone Wolf' thing going on? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In this part of Hokkaido, the season start is planned for the third weekend in November.

This year a number of the resorts opened with great coverage and powder on 23 November.

Final weekend is the first weekend in May - Golden Week - a national holiday in Japan.

I'm out from 15 November - 15 April this winter.

I've got the "Booker/'Lone Wolf' thing going on" doing Private Full Day lessons.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Everyone bangs on about fat vs skinny for on and off piste duties but I recon that a two ski quiver is the way to go for people who get more that a few weeks a year in.

One of our clients got some Head Titans 170 133x80x111 radius 14M turny, fairly heavy, damp, torsionally very stiff, hold a great edge and really rip on piste plus some Movement Trust's for off piste duties at 186cm 141x108x129 and very early rise tip rocker. Fairly light , stiffish, flat tail and a turn radius of 21m

Seems to me a very nice two ski quiver that can do anything and importantly have some cross over.. On mainly piste days Titans which are happy in variables and on mainly Off pites days Trusts which are okay on piste.

Any other thoughts ?

Similar combo for me:-

Movement Le Fer 170 124x77x108 14.5M (serious piste carver that can handle a bit of fresh when required)
Line Sir Francis Bacon 184 140x108x136 16M (twin tip, mild rockered powder plaything that can also carve a decent edge on fresh piste)

Between these two, I can't see much point in skiing anything else. I use the Le Fers on hardpack days and the Line SFBs for everything else. The overlap comes when there is a sprinkling of fresh snow on top of a hardpack base.
snow report
uktrailmonster, I've not skied the Le Fer myself but a number of my customers have 'em/love 'em & snowshepherd raves about them.
snow report
Right now, my plan is DPS 112 Hybrid for general offpiste and DPS Wailer 99 Pure for touring.

If I skied piste extensively, I would add a piste ski but then it would have to be a three ski quiver.
snow report
Monoski.
latest report
I've skied my 98mm Nordica Enforcers in every condition for the past 5 years and love them. But just tested the Atomic double decker SLs which made me realise that I really, really need a slalom ski in my quiver. Guess I need to test lots more Toofy Grin
latest report
uktrailmonster, sounds really similar to my set up of Titans at 80 and REv 105s with a little rocker and similar sidecuts...

horizon, would love to know if the DPS skis are as good as the hype...
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

horizon, would love to know if the DPS skis are as good as the hype...

yes, in my experience of the "99" they are the best true all mountain ski out there Toofy Grin
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
.....would love to know if the DPS skis are as good as the hype...

Too turny in deep snow IMO. There's a reason that good all mtn/off piste skis have a high turn radius.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Too turny in deep snow IMO. There's a reason that good all mtn/off piste skis have a high turn radius.

Time spent in deep snow is probably <20% ( unless you're very lucky or Japanese ) of the "all mountain" experience ,so I find my dps wailers are so good across the whole range of conditions and terrains that are normally found in Europe that I do see them as the ski for all conditions Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Dabber wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Time spent in deep snow is probably <20%

But it is the most important 20% wink

Turn radius on the Wailers is a little small for my taste too, the RPC or 120 on the otherhand...
ski holidays
clarky999, can't fault your logic there Cool and yep the 120's are something else Cool and there's allways "the spoon" if you're getting dropped of somewhere high snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy