Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing to Comply With Easyjet Luggage Allowance

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Geneva tomorrow.
I am looking at packing my ski boots/helmet etc. in my hold luggage. I've just weighed my ski boots - 5kg Sad Just about to weigh my bag and the battery on the scales has died.
I'm guessing that my Dakine sports bag will weigh at least 3kg. So down to 12kg left for everything else. Happy to travel light and looks like I will have to!
Anyone done this?
I will report back later today when scales have been charged.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always have my ski boots in my hold bag (dont have a helmet) and my bag usually weighs in at 15-17kg's depending on how much the missus shoves into my bag. You should be fine with 12kg's for everything else.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

down to 12kg left for everything else.

should be fine. You can wear your ski jacket. You can take a sizeable cabin bag (my sister and brother in law travelled from Gva with ski boots in their cabin bag, though sometimes, it seems, that is not allowed). Last time I went by air to ski I had helmet, boots and everything else in a backpack which weighed in at 17 kg and I had more than enough stuff. I couldn't comfortably carry anything heavier and I had to do some of the journey by public transport, walk to station etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Guys
To be fair I am quite confident that it will be achieved and yes, will be playing the game. Ski jacket with pockets full, maximum size cabin bag (need to take laptop) etc.
The one thing that p***es me off is the threat that if you do not check in at least 2 hours before flight then there is a potential that yor cabin luggage may have to go in the hold. That would not be good!
I hate easyjet. Usually fly scheduled but this was last minute.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
edit:
I don't hate easyjet....I hate flying with easyjet. You get what you pay for!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Duke, its not about checking in early, its about the queue to board. If you have a cabin bag you've either got to queue early or take the risk. I never queue and it happened to me once. No big deal really
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Duke, its not about checking in early, its about the queue to board. If you have a cabin bag you've either got to queue early or take the risk. I never queue and it happened to me once. No big deal really, just take out the bits you really need e.g. laptop
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Usually fly scheduled

easyjet is scheduled.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Easy peasy, we have hard sided Samsonite cases, my boots in one, husbands board bindings in the other. With all the paraphernalia I insist on taking they never usually exceed 20kg.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Usually fly scheduled

easyjet is scheduled.

Of course Pam! I should have said "don't usually fly budget airlines" Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
The Duke, its not about checking in early, its about the queue to board. If you have a cabin bag you've either got to queue early or take the risk. I never queue and it happened to me once. No big deal really

I see. So to guarantee taking on cabin luggage, you need to be near the front of the queue when boarding. I am usually the last in the queue, so will change my tactics.
In that case then, would you agree, that arriving at the airport 90 mins before an easyjet flight is OK. Not done an easyjet flight for many years.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyway off to get some euro's and a battery for the scales!
I will come back later to report the final weigh in Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Duke, i find BA usually cheaper... Which is the budget airline?

Your Dakine luggage isn't helping. IME it's quite heavy itself, empty.

You won't get charged for it if the airline insists on putting your luggage in the hold. Just ensure you have a convenient way to keep your laptop with you...

P.S. On one occasion I found BA business class to be cheaper than the same Easyjet route!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I managed last week on an easyjet flight with 17kg but admittedly I use an old Salomon "weekend bag" which weighs next to nothing. The queues for the flight were no worse than any other and neither was the check in.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Duke, As you have hold and carryon bags you need two strategies. I can't see where you are flying from but that affects things. Even if you check in on line the queue for bag drop can be long. It is probably a busy day for flying so I would go for 2 hours. It's dull but better than getting stressed out in queues (both bag drop/check in and security).

Strategy 2 hand luggage. I usually fly to GVA from Stansted. Usual plan is to keep an eye on the gate announcement and head to gate as soon as announced - they don't usually display the gate number until 40mins before. Then head for the little monorail and go to gate and stand in queue 2 (non speedy boarder). I'm usually one of the first couple there and as soon as I stand there all the sheep in the seats get all stressed and rush to join the queue. I don't mind standing for 30 mins as I can still read my book and I know I'l be sitting down for an hour and a half. Once the speedy boarders those needing assistance and families with small kids are gone it's you next. I've never failed to find space for my full size bag plus jacket in the locker directly above me.

If you have both hold and cabin you will have to queue for baggage reclaim anyway so might be worth deliberately being last to board and they will take your hand baggage as hold baggage foc. Take a plastic bag to decant the vital stuff into. If you have a relatively small piece of hand luggage the crew might insist you don't put it overhead but under the seat in front which is a pain.
ski holidays
I've just been to Austria with Ryanair. Total weight of hold bag was 12.8kg including ski boots and helmet. Wear your ski jacket, snow boots and one pair of jeans on the plane. Pack one other pair of jeans, few t-shirts, base layers, salopettes, gloves, socks, etc. I even managed to take my hair straighteners. My hand luggage only had stuff like money, camera, phone, kindle, passport, paperwork, food so was less than 5kg.

P.S. Easyjet now has allocated seating, so it's not quite the boarding bunfight that it once was.
snow conditions
Slightly off thread, but I see more and more folks getting on board flights with their ski helmets hanging off their hand luggage rucksacks, is this ok or a risky move, ie could i got told to lose it at the gate? i normally pack mine in my DAkine roller with ski boots but takes quite a bit of room up and if I fastened it onto my rucksack it would make extra room in the hold bag for stuff.
snow conditions
Last time on EJ they took excess hand luggage in hold for free on a voluntary basis (well bribed 20 people with priority boarding and it was all very smooth) unlike the other lot on the return flight where you have never seen such a shambles in your life of 180 people trying to stack hand luggage in inadequate locker space (net result delayed flight).
snow report
under a new name wrote:
The Duke, i find BA usually cheaper... Which is the budget airline?

Your Dakine luggage isn't helping. IME it's quite heavy itself, empty.

You won't get charged for it if the airline insists on putting your luggage in the hold. Just ensure you have a convenient way to keep your laptop with you...

P.S. On one occasion I found BA business class to be cheaper than the same Easyjet route!!

Needed to get to Geneva from Manchester/Liverpool. Booking 2 weeks ago Easyjet was by far the cheaper option. Needed to get to Montgenevre. Usually fly to Turin from Manchester via Lufthansa. They wanted £400+ for tomorrow. So flying Easyjet Liverpool to Geneva and then train to Oulx. 10km from Mg.

You are right about the Dakine roller.....just weighed in at 4.5kg empty. So now down to 10.5Kg space Shocked
latest report
Thanks everyone for your advice/suggestions. Off out again. Precision packing will commence this afternoon Very Happy
snow report
The Duke, you need a better bag. My wheelie holdall weighs 1.2kg unladen.
ski holidays
If you take skis get a wide enough bag it can fit your boots in each end.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
The Duke, you need a better bag. My wheelie holdall weighs 1.2kg unladen.

Fair comment. The Dakine is about 7 years old and is a big one - 80 L x 40 w x 50 d + wheels. So no problem on the volume front. It's been a great purchase and served me well.
snow conditions
The OH bought Jnr one of these to take his clothes and sleeping bag on scout camp http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9101742.htm for the last few holidays I've comandeered it to carry my stuff in. The OH has been well overweight and I've been well under, mainly due to the weight of the bag. It's not mattered flying with a TO, but this weekend we're going with Easyjet so need to be under/on weight. So went out and bought a couple more - cheap as anything and only weigh just over 1kg.

Might not be best quality bag, but at a tenner it won't cost anything to replace (although my clothes and boots might cost if it all gets mauled!)

I weighed one of out cases and it was about 6kg, ridiculous when you have boots to carry.
latest report
We acquired one of these a couple of years back for some reason. Seriously super light and wearing quite well...
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2866479.htm
ski holidays
Ski boots in Easy hand luggage

pam w, It would appear that Easy have changed that policy quite recently (well within the last month when my buddy travelled with them) - here is a quote from their FAQs:

"If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within your normal standard hold baggage allowance, within your standard hand baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option."

Full link:

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039
snow conditions
Final weigh in 18.5kg. Result Very Happy Thank God travel wash only weighs 200g.

"under a new name" Cheers for that info. Would have put boots in cabin baggage but need to take laptop.

Sorted anyway.
snow report
I've just weighted in at 15 KG, but with my ski boots & helmet in the case I don't have room for my walking boots. One of the kids will have to find room for them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
musher, wear the walking boots?
snow report
hammerite,

I like to wear a cheap pair of lightweight trainers when I'm travelling. My feet would complain about being in walking boots for that length of time. The trainers also come in useful if there is much walking in the resort. I can carry them in my pack and change out of my ski boots if necessary.
ski holidays
Hi Duke,

Always take a pair of slippers with you or light trainers.

If you are over weight at the bag check .... just take your ski boots out of the bag and put them on and pack the light trainers instead.

Play them at their own game EZpeasy!

another rouse is when you check your ski bag in, they will weigh it and label it for you to take down to the over size baggage ... this gives you the chance to put the over stuffed ski jackets in the bag, or even swap those ski boots which make you stand out in the crowd back for a pair of trainers.
latest report
DrLawn, that rouse may have just saved our butts for our return from Italy. Thanks dude(ette) Cool
snow report
Quote:

My feet would complain about being in walking boots for that length of time.

Laughing Laughing Laughing What do they do if you actually use your walking boots to go walking for the day?
snow report
pam w,

Lots of mountain streams to dunk my feet in up there wink
snow report
musher, my walking boots are heavy, so I tend to wear them for the journey out, my super lightweight Nike Free trainers go in the hold bag.

I do tend to take the boots off for the flight though.

The OH has already packed her bag for Sunday. 16.5kg, instead of the usual 24kg! She says she's been more selective, I put some of it down to the cheapo bag though.
snow conditions
hammerite,

We're going with Neilson this time. I only get 15kg for my ski bag so I'm not taking the big double wheelie, just the old single bag. This means my ski boots need to go in my hold bag (Neilson's blurb says I can't take them in the cabin). As my hold bag isn't the biggest, but sadly my feet are, there just isn't room for ski and walking boots in my hold bag. The weight would be OK as I upped all the hold bags to 20kg from 15 - they just won't fit in together. We are usually all between 15 and 20kg, and could have probably got away with it if we tried, but the cabin allowance is only a miserly 5kg so I didn't want to take the chance. Luckily the kids both have bigger bags than me.

I'll have to get better organised for next year and get all my BA flights booked in time and not have to rely on last minute getaways. With 23kg each in the hold and the cabin, I've got no trouble using my hold allowance for the double wheelie for skis & boots and a bit of gear, and the rest between the other 3 cases and in cabin bags.
snow conditions
musher wrote:
hammerite,

My feet would complain about being in walking boots for that length of time.

Get better walking boots and pack the trainers?

I wear CAT's everywhere. They all feel like slippers. (I currently have 7 pairs, although two are in semi-retirement)
ski holidays
Thornyhill,

Nothing wrong with the boots, I've just got bolshy feet.
snow report
musher wrote:
I've just got bolshy feet.

Wrap them in comfy slipper like boots and make them happy. snowHead
snow conditions
musher, Unless it is very obviously overweight, they hardly ever weigh hand luggage.

I have never had Nielsen weigh it (nor any other time when flying with Thomas Cook Airlines).

And they also rarely weigh the ski bag - they certainly didn't with me in January, even though the main case was over the 15Kg. Coming back from Austria they don't even get the chance to weigh the ski bag, as you check that in first at both Salzburg and Innsbruck.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy