Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing advice

Poster: A snowHead
After many years of scrutinising this site I've had a(n?) eureka moment...if there is any bit of your skiing you don't a)like and/or b) understand....splash the cash and get some lessons. No way will you be able to remember advice from an internet forum when you're at the top of a bum tightening blue staring death in the face.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PsychoBabble, Laughing the most frequent advice on this forum is precisely to splash the cash and get some lessons.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 27-03-13 21:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nah the answer is always b) buy fatter or trendier skis

You may be a corpse but least you'll go out be rocking the "right" kit.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, you're not the Messiah you're a very naughty boy!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought the answer was to close your eyes and ski faster Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
robapplegate, the answer is to drink more Bombardinos or Lumumbas before skiing, during skiing and after skiing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PsychoBabble, surely just a new outfit is all you need.... Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PsychoBabble, and a helmet wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and MAN UP!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thirty06, easy for you to say but crossing the fall line on a tricky blue takes a huge set of cojones, as for reds....am I the only person who can traverse them and actually gain height?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

a bum tightening blue

Do those even exist? Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

a bum tightening blue

Do those even exist? Laughing

This.

What is a bum tightening blue?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PsychoBabble, are you serious? If you are, how long have you been unable to ski a blue run and why have you only just realised that lessons can help?

this is a very peculiar thread......

I know what it is to be genuinely scared of a gentle slope (on XC skis - I am a lot more scared than I ever was in my snowboarding career, even right at the beginning) so I am sympathetic, but wouldn't be if you have been wasting time tightening your bum without taking lessons. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Psychobabble

It's easy for everyone else to say too. It's the standard Snowheads advice for everything from coping with tricky snow to reserving airline seats. It's sort of Snowheads' version of Godwin's law.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

It's easy for everyone else to say too.

what is? What's your advice to someone who can't do a turn on a blue slope?
latest report
pam w wrote:

What's your advice to someone who can't do a turn on a blue slope?

Take up crochet or perhaps finger knitting.
latest report
swiftoid wrote:
pam w wrote:

What's your advice to someone who can't do a turn on a blue slope?

Take up crochet or perhaps finger knitting.

Extreme Crochet?

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2A289035299914E2

"Using a lot of yarn at one time and a large hook, you can create extreme crochet projects. Follow along as Mikey from The Crochet Crowd gives you the run down on how to Extreme Crochet "
snow report
blahblahblah, you're lucky if you've forgotten how scary the transition from greens to blues can be, especially if your first experience was in Austria and then you encounter the heady heights of a blue in espace Killy, squeaky bum time indeed.Lizzard, they most certainly do!
ski holidays
swiftoid, should I crochet before setting off as a sort of relaxation technique? Are you sure that will actually help my skiing or should I go back to my original plan of lessons?
latest report
To be fair to PsychoBabble, there are a couple of blues in the EK which have steep pitches; the bottom of Carline in Tignes for a start .. but they're still not 'bum-tightening'.
snow report
Quote:

but they're still not 'bum-tightening

they obviously are for some people - you can see it in their body language. Snowheads can be very disdainful about those who lack ski godliness.
ski holidays
pam w, there certainly seems to be a lack of empathy on here, I presume everyone else must be experts who have long forgotten the travails of the less godlike?
snow report
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As is fear.
latest report
I'm guessing this portion of internetland doesn't appreciate a well placed bit of leg pulling/ exaggerating.

PsychoBabble, that's a given on this forum.
snow report
Quote:

there certainly seems to be a lack of empathy on here

to be fair, you might have got a more sensible response if your OP had been less cryptic.
ski holidays
homers double, busted....
snow conditions
PsychoBabble, I'm with you, although it's the greens that terrify me!
ski holidays
Well some blues are "navy blue"...but you could crochet a ski jacket or something if it makes you feel better....
Feel the fear and do it anyway... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Joking apart I've just come back from a week in Verbier with a very mixed ability group and was a real reminder of the different perceptions people have of a slope.rob@rar, hits the nail on the head, and made me reflect on how arrogant I had been thinking that just because something didn't hold any fear for me it didn't mean that it wouldn't scare another person. I also had to accept that if someone did find a blue (red/black/cliff) bum tightening but did it anyway then they had been quite brave and conquered a fear...not a bad thing to take from a holiday...
snow conditions
PsychoBabble wrote:
pam w, there certainly seems to be a lack of empathy on here, I presume everyone else must be experts who have long forgotten the travails of the less godlike?

Crochet, Crochet, Crochet!

It's nothing to do with forgetting the travails of being less godlike and everything to do with splashing the cash on good crochet hooks!
snow report
swiftoid wrote:
PsychoBabble wrote:

Crochet, Crochet, Crochet!

It's nothing to do with forgetting the travails of being less godlike and everything to do with splashing the cash on good crochet hooks!

with, or without rocker?
snow report
andyrew, depends if you're into the really gnarly stuff. If so one of these is definitely necessary.

http://www.incrediblethings.com/style-and-gear/crocheted-medieval-knights-helmet/
ski holidays
swiftoid, I hesitate to ask, but what induces bum tightening in the world of CROTCHET (is that the off piste equivalent of crochet?).
ski holidays
swiftoid, cheat!
snow report
pam w

Well, not exactly my advice. It's easy to dismiss any query or problem with that glib two word load of nonsense which is little more than put down and helps not at all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy