Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker M1000 vs Salomon Z10 bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

after years of renting (beginner's) ski's I've decided it was time to buy myself some ski's. I found a pair of new Elan Hyper HCX ski's, but these came without bindings.

Now I've found two sets of unused, secondhand, bindings for a reasonable price (around €25 - $32). Marker M1000 and Salomon Z10.

I've progressed from a beginner to an intermediate, skiing only on-piste (groomers).

Are either of these a good/reasonable choice? And does the Salomon Z10 require a mounting plate?

Many thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to the forum,

Sure the binding quality will be fine and regarding Marker or Salomon there's nothing really to chose between the 2, just get the one with the colour you like.

No binding NEEDS a plate, though it looks like your skis should already have them? Just need to get a shop to drill them on for you which may cost a few quid, if it's a smaller shop i tend to say I'll buy something else i needed if they'll drill them for free, sure templates for both these bindings are in pretty much every shop ever. Obviously make sure you have a boot with you.

Hope you have fun on the new skis
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many thanks for your quick reply! (And the warm welcome Smile)

Regarding build quality, I've read a few things about the heel piece of the Z10 breaking, but because I'm not a very aggressive skier, I shouldn't worry about it?

My skis have no plates, and the person who has the Z10 available for sale told me they need the plates, hence the question here. Are these plates used only to rise the bindings, or are there other uses for the plates?

I'm not too worried about the drilling of the holes, I've watched quite a few videos about the item and am feeling comfortable in doing it myself. I know I need to take the time and be precise, and it'll be ok. (Hopefully Wink)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

the person who has the Z10 available for sale told me they need the plates

I'm not sure it really needs a riser plate, though it might be a nice-to-have on a pair of piste carvers. Would in theory give you better leverage and maybe also widen the power transmission to the ski. Hopefully a tech fiend will be along shortly to set everything straight.

The salomon Z series is a proper workhorse of the ski industry, i would have no issues trusting them i am sure there have been breakages, if something has sold that many units somethings got to give, even if it was user error.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check to see if they are the 'Smartrack Z10' if they are the bindings will be useless without the plates.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks gsb (and ofcourse also dulcamara)! How much would these plates be if you buy them apart from the bindings? Are they even for sale separately? I haven't received a reply from the seller yet, but it would make sense that the bindings will be the Smartrack version.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some additional information (or actually an additional question); I also have a pair of Völkl sMotion 12.0 TC bindings, but these require the Völkl rails. Are there mounting plates available for this kind of binding, or is that (practically) impossible?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sherlockspringer, The sMotion plates are built into the ski, so impossible. The Smartrack plates are fitted (screwed ) at the factory and I doubt if they can be bought separately. If you came across a pair together with the metal bar insert (has the boot measurements on) you would have to be very careful to mount them in the correct position. As they are already fitted shops unlikely to have a jig.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was afraid you'd say that Sad I'll stick with the Marker bindings then, hopefully they're ok for me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are you sure the M1000 does not need a plate/track some models do.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sherlockspringer,Ring Kieth Evans at North Kent Racing supplies who imports Élan skis he will sell you a nice new pair of really cheap Élan 11s that will fit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the advice, however I won't be close to the UK for at least 6 months, and to be honest I'd like to have my gear ready before the summer starts. Looking at the website, these Elan 11s are indeed not as expensive as other bindings out there.

Just came across a couple of Salomon S850s, they seem to be getting good reviews. Would they be worth the extra €20?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just got some pictures of the Marker M1000, hopefully it makes it easier to see if they need a plate.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No they don't. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glad to hear that! Any advice on the 850s, or would you say they wouldn't be worth the extra money for me?

Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy