Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pas De la Casa vs LDA

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been tasked with organising a Snowboarding Holiday for myself and 5 mates. 4 of us have got approx 1 week of boarding behind them and the other 2 around 8 weeks. We're on a bit of a budget and the 3 cheapest deals we could find are to Soldeu, Pas de la Casa and LDA.

The problem is that 3 of us want to go to LDA (which is the cheapest deal by £20) but the other 3 would like to go to Andorra on the basis that its cheaper once we get out there and its better for the begginers.....and no one is willing to give in...

Now I agree that the terrain in Andorra is excellent for begginers but I think LDA is better geared up for Boarders...and also has some good pistes for beginners....and Andorra isn't as cheap as people make out.

I think one of the deciding factors is going to be the price of lessons which in Andorra are about 100 EURO for 15 hours..(group lessons)...now I'm expected the LDA lesson prices to be a bit more...but not significatly?...can anyone give me any pointers on this?

Anyway, what I really want from you is.....where would you go? (in my situation?)

Please help me decide...i can't take anymore of this!! Madeye-Smiley
I'll go with whichever resort gets the most recommendations from snowheads!

Thanks in advance
Richard.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
joydivision, can't help as I'm not a boarder and have only been to one of those resorts, but I would say that if you have been tasked with organising the holiday YOU should weigh up all the options and then decide what you think is best. Others can like it or lump it, and then when it's their turn to arrange the holiday they can decide where to go!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
joydivision, grab any brochure and they will give you a real idea of prices for both lessons and eating out etc.

For example, in Pas the Learn to board pack - 6 day lift pass, board/boot hire for six days and tution for 3 days is £199.

In LDA the same package is £231 but you get tuition for the full six days.

I am in agreement that Andorra is not really as cheap as most people make out - it might have been but it isnt now. It wasnt really Ibiza on ice as some people have also quoted. Mind you, we are from Newcastle so we are used to noisey pubs etc.

But as rob says - if you are the organiser you have the final decision.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
joydivision, Ive been to Pas twice and its great, havent been since 2003 though ( Crying or Very sad ) butI love it- huge ski area now, plenty of good boarding to be had across the Gran Valira.
* Lessons are MUCH cheaper than in France from my experience.
* Ive never been to LDA but heard good things about the nightlife!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
joydivision, Good choice of name BTW! Very Happy I don't know how much they're charging but you could get the 4 of you in private lessons for around €55 per hour max. (13.75 ph/pp) that would be at lunchtime of course. The 2 more experienced might want more guiding if there's good snow and you could get that at the same price. I don't know about the other resorts but LDA is considered (by some) to be the snowboarding capital of France. There are miles of natural half pipes and accessible off piste + a pretty good sized snowpark with everything you can think of. If the snow is scarce when you come they just use the summer park on the glacier instead of the winter one at 2,600m. You could email my friend David Garcia (very good on snowboard and speaks good English) on garciaconnexion@aol.com He works for the ESI St. Christophe (not recommended for skiers) along with another excellent colleague Erik Delambre. Their group rates are also the lowest I think, and their groups are smaller than the ESF, who can be seen sometimes with around 15 snowboarders in one group.

Hope this helps. Very Happy

Nadenoodlee, I've heard it's good too - never indulge of course at my age!!!! Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Better skiing and infrastructure in LDA - top 3 resorts in France, but Andorra should beat it for apre-ski etc.
Depends on what is more important but LDA by a mile for me..!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to both Pas and les Deux Alpes and would take Soldeu over the other either of them. However - if you want to party (and don't mind a god awful concrete monstrosity for a base) pas is cheap and very very cheerful. Facilities and lessons etc were excellent when we were there - perfect slopes for early intermediates. I would recommend it to anyone, and despite water poiisioning on my trip had a great time, which given we all spent 2 days throwing up is a testament to how good the skiing was...and that was in slush in march. Never had any queues either - bliss! If you want easy, confidence building, not too busy cruising runs it's a great spot. I loved the fact I never needed to check the piste map because almost all the runs are within the reach of an intermediate skier. If you want pretty 'alpine' village, then soldeu it is - same slopes, prettier buildings, but less convienient base...

LDA is, hmm, an aquired taste...it always seems to have a great rep but I hated it on my first trip. However I am going back this year(seriously cheap xmas deal) so we'll see if I like it any better this time ;-D LDA downsides: Long spread out town so getting anywhere is a bit of a hike. No runs to the village for anyone below black run level, and they are real blacks - not just for the piste map to look pretty! Queues for the gondolas. Very very busy mid mountain, and no real choice of runs, all pretty much down one face which therefore gets super busy, especially when the glacier/other resorts are closed due to snow/high wind. And it really is quite a small resort, we skied it out in about 4 days on our second ever ski trip! On the plus side, the board park is excellent as are boarding facilities generally, there aren't many drags, the grooming is good and the easiest slopes are actually the ones on the glacier with the good snow - when the lift is open (closes in wind) they are fantastic for blue run skiers/boarders. Other than the nasty mid section it's not generally too busy either and as you aren't skiing back to village level (unless you fancy those blacks) and people are distributed along the long valley it avoids the icy home run most places get.

Sure you'll have a great time wherever you go...but personally I'd be heading for soldeu or pas...

aj xx
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ajhainey, stop telling people about Soldeu.

NOTE: Its crap go to Pas or LDA !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hello again....

Thanks for all the info and opinions....just to let you know that we have decided on Pas...to be fair there wasn't much in it...both resorts have their advantages....and both have good night life...but we decided on Pas bacause of the accessibilty of the easier runs...I've actually been to both resorts before, and I preferred LDA, but found that that black run down to the resort at the end of a long day, a bit too much...and thats with 8 weeks boarding behind me....I think the lads with only one week behind them may have struggled a bit with LDA....

I might go back to LDA for my 2nd holiday!

so, the countdown has begun....only 76 days to go!!!... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
joydivision, check the location of where you are staying compared to the lifts !!! Some can be quite a hike - at the end of the day !!

We stayed in the Magic Pas last year and found it fine for location, food, central etc etc etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
joydivision, yo'll prob know this- but go to Underground, its the best apres bar ive ever been to, I love it. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee, ...yes i know the Underground very well...what a place Cool ...on my last evening there myself and my brother in-law almost missed our transfer at 04:00 in the morning due to the excellent hospitality of the guys behind the bar...we only bought 2 drinks all night! Shocked

Paul Mason, ...our apartments our 50m away from the bottom of the slope, so even I should be able to manage that hike...we stayed at the olympiadis???...or something like that last year...accomadation was a bit dodgy but the location was perfect...ski down to the lifts in the morning...ski straight into the bar at the end of the day Very Happy ....would have gone back there this year but for the lack of hot water!!

easiski, Thanks for the info on the lessons in LDA, I've pretty much already decided my holiday in March will be to LDA...the boarder Parks are too good to miss....I'll be sure to follow up your recommendations...

Thanks
Richard.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ajhainey, There is a green "road" from the mid station to the resort, so you can ski home that way if you don't fancy dying on the Valentin....
It's unfair to say the midstation is really busy and there's nowhere to ski. If you read the piste map and move 100yds away from a lift you will have the place to yourself, even in the busiest weeks. Also, there's another mountain behind the village, which offers superb reds and blues into the village and is largely underused. There's some choice tree skiing down to Bons and Mont de Lans on either side of the valley, and never any queues! Les 2 Alpes is not for motorway piste skiers, but if you want something challenging that makes you better rather than making you look good, its a "no-brainer!" Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
joydivision, Ooh which are your apartments, I was in the gala last year
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee, We're staying at a place called Frontera Blanca Apartments...Its a cheap and cheerful option!...do you know them?....from what I can gather its right in the centre of the shopping area...we would have liked to be about to ski in/out but it wasn't really an option on our budget...
snow report
paulmck, ajhainey, is coming out this year - i think she'll find it much changed. BTW, when they've got all the improvements moving (as soon as there's snow) I think it'll be much better going home. When we get that new piste sorted round the side of the Diable as well .............. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
easiski, Thats good news. It'll be nice to go down Valentin after 3pm and not have to have eyes in the back and side of your head! ajhainey, Thats also good news! I hope you'll enjoy it this time (sure you will!), but what prompted the u-turn? Charlotte talked you into it? Want somewhere to stay? I know just the place! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
hehe, and I thought it would be easiski that laid into me for not liking LDA Shock I was already going back (don't I mention that in my post?) I just don't think it's the best place for anyone with nervous beginners(which it sounded like the OP has in the group) due to many factors including one you mention yourself - it's lack of suitability for motoway cruising and the need to make the effort to get the best out of the area. IMO immediately obvious, easily accessible flattering motorway cruisers are exactly what nervous intermediates/beginners want, with as few people as possible on them to boot. Hence I would support Pas for a novice group over LDA. Certainly when I was a nervous intermediate I much preferred Pas of the two. LDA has a whole bunch of advantages, which I did mention in the interests of fairness, but everyone has their preferences and it doesn't quite match mine (or at least didn't) - life would be rather tedious (and the slopes very busy!) if we all liked the same resorts Very Happy

As I mentioned to easiski I don't think we had the best weather last time, which may have coloured my view, the glacier was shut alot for wind, as was one of the other lifts, there was very poor snow on the slopes on the other side of town and the resort seemed very busy as everyone was in a smallish area. Easiski has promised good conditions for our xmas trip snowHead and I'm a much more confident intermediate these days so I'm hoping I'll have a much better time! There again maybe not... I'm definately on the motorway cruising side even now - who doesn't want to look good Toofy Grin

aj xx
snow report
ajhainey, Whoops, sorry! You're absolutely right in everything you say above. Didn't mean to sound like I was laying into you - the nature of these written communications is you tend to read stuff verbatim and it sounds a bit harsher than it would if you were talking face to face. Hope easiski's promise bears fruit - i'm sure it will!! Smile
snow report
Puzzled Puzzled snowHead snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy