Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring Equipment in London

Poster: A snowHead
spyderjon, not enough stars, sorry, still no 100%
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno, Easy - I like my Dukes too! wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, So would I, but Vulcan has six letters and Mercury has seven.

Oh hang on, he's edited the number of *s in the post. They don't do that in the crossword in the News of the World.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 28-03-13 16:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oceanic, sorry, but you still are one out. Unless my dyslexia has got the better of me again
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CH2O,

Dynafit (TLT6) Performance
Dynafit (TLT6) Mountain

Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, Dynafit TLT6MTN would fit the number of *s?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So in the end I didn't choose any of the recommended boots: I've settled on a pair of dynafit ones in 25 which I found at telemark pyrenees and ordered on their website Happy

Reasons:
- I did my own research in these few days and dynafit boots look like they are easily top tier compared to other brands, especially for the climb where everybody rates their comfort very high. Scarpa Maestrale/Gea looked good too but I was less a fan of their design, Garmont have binding problems, Black Diamond wasn't really recommended here...
- I read that the ones are quite a bit wider than say the TLT5 so I have more chance of getting in these. Also they are stiffer/warmer which fits me more (fairly aggressive ski style and I don't like cold feet!). Finally they can fit in non tech bindings which could also be useful some day, even though at this stage I plan on getting tech bindings.
- The mercury also looked interesting, but it is a bit heavier, and given my low weight (57kg) I'm not really sure I need the extra stiffness.

I'm now looking for skis, I haven't yet got experience in this domain, but I started doing some research and I think I'll settle on some mid fat skis to be able to enjoy powder days, but I'll still try to find some that are relatively light to carry. I think I'll fit them with dynafit radical bindings.

Any skis recommended by the community? Or a good source of info on current skis to make my own educated choice?
Also once I get my boots is it a better idea to go visit Solutions4Feet in Bicester or to stay local with Profeet? What about liners by the way? Do such shops provide good after market liners if needed or should I look for some myself (e.g. Intuition looks nice)? Or are the vanilla dynafit TF liners typically good enough?

Thanks again to all for your kind help. Even though I ended up choosing boots that weren't recommended here, trust me, the infos in this thread are very useful for me Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dualmoo,

Nobody knows until you use those boots if they will fit or not, it also takes a while for them to bed in and your feet take a while to get used to touring.

Compeed is your friend, make sure you take plenty with you.

As for skis what level skier are you? What's your budget - there are touring skis around that cost €800 exc bindings.

You are going to need skins too
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94077
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dualmoo,

Boots: If they fit I'm sure that you'll love them. If they don't fit then return them. If they are too big there is nothing a boot fitter can do to help, so if the gap behind either heel in a shell fit is >20mm I would definitely return them.

Skis: If you were going skiing in the Alps I would recommend this article...

http://www.cosleyhouston.com/haute-route-eq-list.htm

I've never been to Iceland though, so I've no idea how applicable an article on choosing skis for the Alps is to Iceland.

Sport Conrad, Telemark Pyrenees and Eko Sport are all good sources of cheap skis.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That packing list is pretty good.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oceanic, like that link!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oceanic,

....... thought I'd seen that link before. (More touring info in this thread).

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94107
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi again,

DB, of course I will bring some compeed and "elastoplaste" with me Happy
Oceanic, thanks for your link, lots of useful info there.

I got the boots today and they fit me very well length wise, there is a tiny bit of pressure on the side of the right foot but nothing too bad (I wore them for half an hour today, will try to get some more time soon) and they haven't been custom fitted yet.

For the skis I've done a bit of research. FYI I would say I'm an expert piste skier (strong technique and high speed on all slopes/conditions, turns are all carved, parallel and with perfectly tight legs) and advanced off piste (good technique, can link turns in powder but I still tend to lose balance/fall a bit too much for my taste when the snow conditions aren't the best (too deep, crusty, etc)). As I said I'm looking for lightweight skis, mid fat (I've already got a narrow alpine pair). I've found a small list of interesting skis:

Dynastar Cham High Mountain 87: length 166/172cm, width 127/87/103mm, radius 16m, weight 3.05kg
Dynastar Cham High Mountain 97: length 166/172cm, width 133/97/112mm, radius 16m, weight 3.18kg
Movement Magnet: length 169cm, width 129/94/118mm, radius 18m, weight 2.80kg
Movement X Logic: length 160/168cm, width 123/88/113mm, radius 17m, weight 2.00kg
Zag Ubac: length 164cm, width 130/94/116mm, radius 16m, weight 2.50kg
Dynafit Manaslu: length 169cm, width 118/92/104mm, radius 19m, weight 2.70kg
La Sportiva Lo5: length 168cm, width 125/95/115mm, radius 17m, weight 2.70kg

So in terms of specs these are all relatively similar, and I still have to make a choice between these based on what I feel about their raw characterestics (up to what width/length combination am I ready to go to comfortably, knowing that i've never skied wider than 84mm before? how much importance do I attribute to weight?). But I was also wondering if any of you has some subjective opinion about these, or feedback, or even has seen some interesting reviews which I may have missed? Also any other skis in the same range which you recommend? Range being: 160 to 170cm, somewhere around 90mm in width (I don't want to buy super wide skis until I first test them for myself on hardpack/groomed snow as I've never used any before), not too heavy for the climb.

DB, I see in the thread you linked that you advise against too low a weight on the feet, as it diminishes stability in the downhill. Anybody else experienced this problem before? I am targeting a pretty light setup: 1.80kg/boot, 500g/binding, and if I go with the x logic, 1kg/ski, which would leave me with 3.3kg/foot, so would I be affected?

Thanks all!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dualmoo,

Too light/soft a ski can get throw all over the place in difficult conditions (e.g. Breakable crust, refrozen crud etc). At your light weight you won't need too stiff a ski.

Heard very good things about the movement X-series Logic but they are €800 list price (without binding). I've seen it advertised for €700 on a few websites.

My other tips ....

For a lightweight ski that can still perform well in harder conditions = Völkl Inuk or Amaruq

The K2 Wayback is a very good touring powder ski with a 90mm waist.

Skins = Kohla I Clip 100% Mohair
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dualmoo,

Forgot to say have fun ......

Südtirol two weeks ago.

ski holidays
If money is burning a hole in your pocket you might want to consider these

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/product_info.php?products_id=78250

http://skitheory.blogspot.co.at/2012/03/dps-wailer-99-review.html
latest report
With light boots and light bindings you can afford to go a bit heavier on the skis. The snow here can be pretty variable thanks to the weather. The Cham 97 would be my choice of the skis you mention.

Are you day touring?
snow conditions
Thanks, the wailers indeed look great. Not sure if they'll be available though so I'll have to check. Any feedback on pure vs hybrid for these?
Meh, I'll be touring for a week, but returning to the hotel every night
ski holidays
Cool, in which case something a bit heavier is no great loss as you won't have all your provisions and sleeping gear.
latest report
dualmoo, I've got a brand new pair of Dynafit Manaslu 169's going for a bargain price if you're interested?
snow conditions
dualmoo, I have 24.5 feet , and just got sorted out with a pair of garmont delirium boots in a 25 , these work really well in conjunction with my DPS walier 99's ( hybrid ) mounted with baron small bindings . Only done short tours of 3-4 hrs so far , but no issues with weight for me .

Choose the hybrid on suitability for my skiing ability level , and they have been amazing so far , in the recent fresh snow in Austria they were just about faultless in deep powder , heavy chopped up snow , and coped really well with spring freeze thaw conditions . For touring I use G3 alpinist skins . Can't comment on the advantages of the pures but plenty of research available over epic.
http://www.epicski.com/t/109462/review-dps-112rp-hybrid-pure
snow conditions
dualmoo,

Having pointed you in the direction of 99mm wide skis I'm as guilty as this as anyone but at 57kg I suspect you will get all the float you need (unless you are going heliskiing) out of an 80 to 90mm wide ski. A sub 90mm ski will be lighter, more manoeuvrable and probably give you better edge grip on the steeper hardsnow (touring is more often than not less than pristine fluffy powder)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99516
latest report
Hi all,

I wanted to thank you for all your help in selecting and finding my gear! I ended up ordering almost a full set of equipment from the internet! It was expensive (and quite risky with no chance to test anything) but well worth it and everything went very well!

My Dynafit One weren't hurting my feet a bit and were very light (only grip I have is I couldn't find a way to make them work with my relatively tight gaiters in open position - don't know how other people do this). And the wailer 99s were just awesome! Great on hardpack, but absolutely brilliant as soon as there was a few cm of softer snow (and we were lucky enough to have some of the best powder i've seen on some days).

As to Iceland, it's absolutely amazing for skiing, I highly recommend it. Here are some pics our guide took, if you want to check it out: http://www.kailashadventure.com/ski-de-rando-en-islande-voyage-du-20-au-27-avril-2013/
And that's me in my full gear shredding the icelandic mountains Wink http://www.kailashadventure.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DSC_5450.jpg

Thanks again everyone!
latest report
Looks great!!
snow report
dualmoo, hand't realised we'd talked you into getting quite such bling stuff! glad it all worked for you and that looks like a great trip. nothing quite like skiing down to the beach
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy