Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airport of the year 2013 GENEVA

Poster: A snowHead
I nearly fell off my cair with laughter, so who would like to get the ball rolilng on this one?

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss_news/Geneva_Airport_scoops_award.html?cid=35258880
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most airports are crapholes generally. Istanbul the overall winner is a bit of a dump too with poor transit connections. The best airport I've ever been to is Denver but then it's in the middle of a prairie with very low volume of flights so feels very spacious, airy and unstressful.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, but it is also "The wind shear capital of the World" according to one expert I saw interviewed once.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, Zurich is one of the best for me, Geneva is a pure hole of the highest standard, often has the feel of a refugee camp with CHF7.50 cups of coffee on a bad weather day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1. Munich
2. Zurich
3. Frankfurt
4. Dublin (great airport shame its barely used!)
5. Palma
175. Geneva

Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And after 25 years of listening to that 'How much is that doggy in the window' jingle before every announcement - the best thing to happen to it would be for it to disappear into a black hole when the Large Hadron thingy goes haywire> Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29,
Quote:

Dublin (great airport shame its barely used!)

That would be Terminal 2 Ghost town, try flying out of the other Terminal in Dublin 55 minuntes from Plane to actuall bag belt starting last Sunday monring at 11 am!!!

Quote:

175. Geneva

Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also ridiculously expensive 'duty free'. €30 for a blob of Reblochon anyone?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fattes13,

+1 for Zurich. I almost enjoy being there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Munich?

Munich?

You are having a laugh.

Fails miserably on the most salient point, does it have a Priority Pass valid lounge?

No it does not. Nothing else can redeem it. Food's pretty rubbish as well. (LHR T5 suffers the same lounge problem)

Having flown out of Geneva (and thus in to it, and out of a fair number of other airports) more than 60 times last year, I find it works OK.

Amsterdam is usually OK too.

Gatwick has improved out of all recognition now that it is out of BAA's grubby paws.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
why would you be in a Priority Pass lounge in Munich when you could be in the Private "Adult shop"?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I also find Geneva OK esp after kitenski introduced me to the pizza place in the station shopping centre
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Amsterdam is usually OK too.

Well it does have a brothel!

Quote:

Food's pretty rubbish as well.

Pretty good asian place near the Aer Lingus check in desk but a very messed up airport
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, I like Munich - lounges are for losers (whatever happened to Whitegold?), I just go and sit in the lobby bar of the Kempinski Hotel. Or, if it's in the summer, sometimes they hold a beach volleyball competition in the area between T1 and T2 and that can be a very nice way to pass the time.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have no particular beef with geneva either, and anybody paying 7.50 francs for a coffee is daft. But then I never go near the charter terminal.
ski holidays
Although Geneva is twice as good as it was 5 years ago!

Kapalua is the best one I've used. Check in was a phone on a desk Happy http://www.mauihawaii.org/air/jhm-airport.htm
snow report
Well the award is by Air Transport News, which isn't exactly the international guru of airport and airline review. It's the equivalent of Glenshee winning the Ski Resort of the Year award from the Scottish Farmers Union.

Skytrax is the gold standard of aviation research, and the airports that typically come top are Hong Kong, Seoul and Singapore. Whilst I have no qualms about Geneva airport (it has been crucial with many memorable ski trips), it is not a jot on the usual winners.
snow conditions
Claude B, that reminds me of Bournemouth airport. The airport which I managed to get off an international flight through the 'terminal' and into my car in the car park all within 5 mins, without even having to show my passport! Marvelous!
ski holidays
You lot are spoiled, never having been delayed at Karachi International Airport
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
And after 25 years of listening to that 'How much is that doggy in the window' jingle before every announcement - the best thing to happen to it would be for it to disappear into a black hole when the Large Hadron thingy goes haywire> Twisted Evil

"How much" melody - I thought it was only me! Very fond of those 5 notes. And the airport actually, has been the gateway to my dreams for half my life snowHead
snow report
shep, oddly the melody was only pointed out to me about 5 years ago. It's bizarre, given how often one has heard it, not to make the immediately thereafter obvious connection!
snow report
Last time I was there, this guy kept singing it every time he heard it. I think after ten minutes even he'd noticed the murderous looks from every direction and piped down.
ski holidays
Quote:

he airport which I managed to get off an international flight through the 'terminal' and into my car in the car park all within 5 mins, without even having to show my passport!

I did that at Chambery. On a Tuesday. car had been parked, free, 30 metres from the terminal building, for 5 days. snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

does it have a Priority Pass valid lounge?

Yes Munich does, but it is in the other terminal. Quack quack oops.

Whilst on the topic, has anyone been in the revamped Gatwick No1 Lounges? Really rather good with proper grub available at a very reasonable extra charge to while away the hours waiting for Easy Jet to find a plane. Which leads to...

Agree that Geneva is absolutely pants and the dual nationality thing is utterly incomprehensible to the first time visitor who is trying to find the car hire desk after easy jet get them there two sodding hours late and after all the locals have pissed off home.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:

I thought it was just me who'd noticed that! Luckily I refrain from singing it every time but by God it's annoying.

I actually think Southampton is the best airport I've used, but I'm not really that well-travelled. Most European airports seem to be chaos. Grenoble was hell when we arrived last week, they wouldn't let us off the plane for half an hour, it was too busy! Mad
snow report
I once used a tiny airport in the Pacific where passengers were ferried in by boat and had to paddle ashore holding their shoes. The terminal was an open-sided building thatched with palm. Very picturesque but there were only two flights a week.
ski holidays
Belfast City - 5 minutes from city centre, parking is very reasonable and very close, check in/security is usually 3-4 minutes, staff are friendly and helpful......pity you can only fly to about 3 other places though

We came back through Geneva Sunday week ago. Car hired/returned on French side. Passports check to get to Swiss side. Passports check to check in. Security alert closes most of Swiss side.....had to go through security on French side.....passports check to get to French side - passports check to get through security, passports check to get back to Swiss side. Departure gate closed due to security alert (unattended bag.) As we were airside we couldn't walk to new gate, passport check to get back to French side, get on bus from French gate, ferried across the runway to Swiss side, herded out into new departure gate, passport check to get from the runway back through the departure gate, the 5 minutes later, passport check to get back out through the same door we had just come in. Sweat was pishing off me due to rushing around the place carting a pile of hand luggage........so I bought a bottle of water. I could either pay 5 CHF or 5 Euro for a finest 500ml bottle of naivE.... erm I mean Evian Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
The only good bit about Geneva now is the top floor where nobody goes. They've done way with the nice chapel in favour of a prayer room with cardboard walls next to an escalator. The super new whizzy ski conveyor belt seemed a bit rubbish too. It is however better than Manchester.

Dublin ? Stuffed full of shops in the arrivals corridor so it feels crowded.

Bournemouth. Excellent, it's about thirty feet from the entrance doors to the departure gates. When I was last there, departure gate A was out of action so we used gate B. These re two glass doors that are right next to each other, the plane pulls up out the front and you walk up the steps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mcspreader, not much help if it's in the wrong terminal is it?

LGW No.1 lounge very good but be aware that on busy days even PP members need to reserve a space. The "other"lounge that you can use if No.1 is full with paying punters is not nearly as good.
latest report
LCY used to be quite decent (haven't flown from there for a year or so). Not lots of facilities I guess but then I just want to turn up and get on the plane - not spend hours there
latest report
another vote for Bournemouth from me, pity it's only ryanair who seem to fly from there!!
latest report
On the rocks wrote:
You lot are spoiled, never having been delayed at Karachi International Airport

I've been delayed 'in transit' in Calcutta airport for many hours. That was pretty horrendous.
snow report
calgary365, easyjet fly to Geneva from Bournemouth! My daughter and family flew that route at christmas and are flying it again this Friday. They were very enthusiastic about Bournemouth.
snow report
calgary365, in my experience Jet2 sometimes do stopovers at Bournemouth to refuel which is obviously a necessity when flying such long distances as Chambery to Edinburgh even when they haven't got the weight of everybody's skis they never bothered to take. Can't comment on the inside of the airport but I suppose it's as 'good' a place as any to sit for a couple of hours in the plane on the runway hours after you should have been home. Mad
snow report
firebug,
i think that may have been my husband. He sings that every time we pass through Geneva airport and I give him murderous looks
snow conditions
calgary365 wrote:
another vote for Bournemouth from me, pity it's only ryanair who seem to fly from there!!

thirty06 wrote:
Bournemouth. Excellent, it's about thirty feet from the entrance doors to the departure gates. When I was last there, departure gate A was out of action so we used gate B. These re two glass doors that are right next to each other, the plane pulls up out the front and you walk up the steps.

Bournemouth is brilliant its everything an airport should be! Easy jet have a regular winter service to Geneva.
There was even a Concorde service to NY back in the day Very Happy
ski holidays
Innsbruck for me. Exciting landings / take offs, and it takes about 5 minutes to get through. And then you're skiing. wink
latest report
Villz, I discovered an even more irritating trick: wait for the bing-bongs to finish and then sing: "gie in the window", followed by two realistic barks.

In my defence, my 3 year old grandson loved it. He also did extra bird/cat/toad/snail impressions for the second verse, which I thought enhanced the whole trip for *everyone*.

V
latest report
laundryman, agree about the scenery, just come back via Innsbruck; but on the way in the queue for "non-Schengen" passport control was hideous. On the way out the BA check-in was rubbish but the airport security was like wafting through first class on the quietest day of the year.

V
snow report
Quote:

takes about 5 minutes to get through

yeah... plus the bus to drive you from the plane to the terminal... that takes longer to load up than it does to cross the road from the plane to the terminal ! Last one I took the drive was so short it didn't get out of first gear.

Do like Innsbruck though. Especially the view on landing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy